IA: Death Heads

Donkey Kong

What theme are you trying to evoke with the name? Or what are you trying to avoid?

Tritons are the son(s) of Poseidon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_%28mythology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritons

Kin means being part of a family or alike.

Combining the two: Tritonkin.

What it evokes is that the Tritonkin are the family of, or like, the storm callers and calmers of ancient mythology.

I avoid nothing, for I am Astartes and I know no fear :) !

Yes, I know how you came about the name - but is there something specific you're going for? Like a sea theme for the name, as seems to be the case?

Why not just the 'Kindred'?

I honestly don't like the fish/sea creature-references. They are too jarring and don't in any way shape or form roll off the tongue or feel in character for the chapter.

The Death Heads may be pirate themed space marines but they are not sea-creature themed, fish themed or linked to maritime science in any way other than they are pirates and pirates don't like big sea creatures that eat them.

It just feels forced, like you're forcing the theme's link to the ocean far, far too much. I'd go with something that speaks more to them being a tightly knit group of hard-bitten veterans than some shark-ish reference.

Pirates are marauding killers, not university graduates.

Edit: Apologies if I came off a little rough, consider it my honest opinion, not outright criticism so much, if you get what I mean.

Edited by Grey Hunter Ydalir

I get what you're saying, GHY.

The shark name is not going to be used. However, simply calling them the Kindred doesn't really work for me since there's nothing to it besides it being a family and the Astartes Chapters are already like this, everyone is brother.

Back to the drawing board, :) !

Well lets go back to the core theme and take a quick inventory.

They are Pirates. Pirates were feared reavers of the seas.

Pirate captains were feared not only by their prey and adversaries, but by their own crews.

A captain would by default keep order through fear, sure enough. However he would also need a bunch of loyal men to watch his back and keep watch for signs of mutiny that he himself wouldn't catch. These men would be his enforcers and rightly feared in their own right as brutal and peerless fighters amongst the crew.

I would think that a veteran cadre for the Death Heads would be the men the Captain himself picks and serves with. Wouldn't this by default make them 'his men'? Can you spin that or am I delving too far into the pirate theme?

Too much pirate, too little Space Marine. From the get go, I've wanted to have a maintained Veteran First Company, so having the individual Captains pick isn't what I'm after, not to mention the idea of mutiny simply goes against anything Loyalist Space Marines would think of.

Good points though.

Well, CJJ, the Keptinz are already wearing the kraken helmets, so they're the krakens. I'm being difficult, aren't I :) !

Maybe a little. ;)

Also, your link to TvTropes kept me up till about three in the morning last night. Links to that site are not a toy, young man.

Well, CJJ, the Keptinz are already wearing the kraken helmets, so they're the krakens. I'm being difficult, aren't I B) !

Nope, you're just wanting each thing to have it's place.

Each Captain is a veteran of countless battles, so in theory each Captain is a Kraken.. With the helm as the ultimate symbol of this?

Also, your link to TvTropes kept me up till about three in the morning last night. Links to that site are not a toy, young man.

I cannot be blamed for a combination of individual lack of self control or the addictive nature of the internet. Take your complaints elsewhere, citizen :D .

Each Captain is a veteran of countless battles, so in theory each Captain is a Kraken.. With the helm as the ultimate symbol of this?

Yes. There's also the fact that I don't want to overuse the Kraken: Chapter symbol and Captain/ Chapter leader helmets are already present, having the First Company named the Krakens seems abusive.

The problem is that all the cool sea monsters have already been taken by GW, as names for the Hive Fleets. Behemoth, Kraken, Leviathan; these are the most fearsome beasts of legend haha. Otherwise, Poseidon's Roman name is a little more catchy. Neptune, Sons of Neptune? Neptune's Wrath? Etc etc etc.

I cannot be blamed for a combination of individual lack of self control or the addictive nature of that site. Take your complaints elsewhere, citizen ;) .

Fixed it for you. ;)

The problem is that all the cool sea monsters have already been taken by GW, as names for the Hive Fleets. Behemoth, Kraken, Leviathan; these are the most fearsome beasts of legend haha. Otherwise, Poseidon's Roman name is a little more catchy. Neptune, Sons of Neptune? Neptune's Wrath? Etc etc etc.

Given that the Death Heads pre-date the Tyranids, I don't see why they couldn't have named something Leviathan before the Hive Fleet ever happened.

Edited by Argon

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why, but I've been struck with a need to overhaul the Death Heads IA.

For the time being I have absolutely no desire to name the First Company.

Some of the points that I'm thinking of editing into the IA:

1. I want the Death Heads to make use of earlier marks of armor (Mk. 7 and Mk. 8 are much harder to work a skull mask on and it looks a lot better on suits with longer "faces" like Mk. 6 and Mk. 4), so they will be an earlier founding.

2. The Death Heads have absolutely no reason to not be a codex chapter, this will be changed.

3. Given all of the changed I'm going to make, the Death Heads don't have a reason to be a Silver Skull successor, and so I intend on making them descendants of the White Consuls. Agris is also now Caphon. Agris was intended to be a play on Silver in Silver Skulls, now that's over, there's no reason, also I don't particularly like the name.

4. "The Tainted" just isn't a good story. It serves no purpose aside from promoting Narrik to a position of command which he shouldn't have. The whole concept of the kraken helmets needs to be worked around.

5.I don't like the name Klysium. It doesn't fit the pirate theme, or any theme for that matter aside from linking Greece to the Mediterranean sea and even then the most famous story, the Illiad, involves crossing the Aegean, not the Mediterranean below it. For that matter, the Death Heads aren't even Greek!

6. I think I've come to the conclusion that I dislike the idea of superstition, fear of blue will be removed and the meaning of red will be changed.

7. The battle cry section was added as a last minute suggestion and had minimal effort put into it. "We shall never die!" doesn't even ring that well to me.

Anyone who would like to suggest anything concerning the above (including smacking me out of being overly critical) is more than welcome to. The modified IA is below:

[center; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">Death Heads

We shall never die![/center]

gallery_22046_1527_6470.jpg

Origins

F
orged in the ashed of the Horus Heresy from the gene stock of Roboute Gulliman, the Death Heads' legacy branches from the Third Founding, baptized in the blood of traitors. From the dawn of the Thirty Second Millennium, Death Heads have participated in countless conflicts against all manner of foes and proudly bear the hard fought trophies of their victories.

White Consul Caphon Derii was tasked with leading the newly raised Chapter. A veteran of the Horus Heresy, Derii had witnessed first hand the horror his fallen kin had unleashed on the Galaxy, and sought to embrace it in the Emperor's name. He would never again fight in a Great Crusade, but the fear and respect his brothers would inspire would be all the same as he led his shock campaign against the enemies of the Imperium.

Derii's first order was for his brothers to print a human skull on the face plates of their helms, terror made manifest. In the beginning, the Chapter wore this fearsome symbol as their heraldry, only taking up the Kraken as the Chapter took on greater aspects of its homeworld's culture. The Death Heads drew their name from this mark upon their founding, and only initiates may earn the right to wear it.

Homeworld

[
HOMEWORLD] lies on the border between Segmentum Solar and Segmentum Ultima. First annexed during the Great Crusade, it has never faltered in its loyalty. Unwavering and strong, Derii saw great promise in the [WORLD] people as future Astartes and claimed the world as the Chapter's own. They were strong and hardy, their society built up from ruins, their faith unwavering. A water world, the people were accustom to fending for themselves, even with the warrior houses that defended their cities.

In millennia past, [WORLD] was a mountainous world with great cities worked into the very mountains, canyons and plateaus that blanketed the world's surface. During the Horus Heresy, [WORLD] served as a bulwark against Horus and his invading forces, and as a host to one of the greatest battles not involving the Legiones Astartes. War lasted for months, both on the surface and in orbit around the world. In a final, desperate attempt to deny the world to the Warmaster, the [WORLD] loyalists targeted the world's ice caps, destroying them through orbital bombardments. Monumental tides from the broken poles washed over the world, submerging all but the highest cities, and drowning the hated traitors.

Since the flooding, [WORLD'S] aquatic fauna has flourished, and the populace, now restricted to island chains, has become dependent on the vast oceans. Many legends have grown around the sea and the horrors beneath its depths. Whether a creation of the daemonic powers, or simple evolutionary adaptations, monsters have conquered the oceans, none more fearsome than the Kraken. The beast would be taken as the Chapter's own heraldry upon hearing [WORLD] tales of the beast, and none could be more pleased to bring the world's terror to the enemies of the Emperor than Caphon Derii.

The Chapter's Fortress Monastery, The Solitary Abbey, is based on a submerged plateau in the world's vast ocean, penetrating deep into the ground and reaching beyond the clouds. Beneath the surface, the Death Heads constructed an enormous system of catacombs. Within this network, every recovered brother is placed to rest. The sarcophagi of the Chapter's Dreadnoughts lay beside their fallen comrades until the venerable brothers are called back into service. The Solitary Abbey is divided between common grounds and sections dedicated to each of the Chapter's companies, housing the companies' trophies and banners. The height of the island's holy constructs allows The Solitary Abbey to be identified hundreds of miles away.

Chapter Organization

F
ollowing in the footsteps of the Ultramarines, the Death Heads closely adhere to Guilliman's Codex Astartes. The Death Heads First Company is made up of veterans drawn from all four of its battle companies. Masters of warfare, the Death Heads divide their veteran company between sternguard, vanguard and infiltrators, all proficient in operating Tactical Dreadnought Armor. The First rarely operates as a single entity, instead distributing its forces throughout other companies to mentor and support their battle brothers.

The Chapter's Second through Fifth Companies are its battle companies, and are the Chapter's primary fighting force. The Death Heads' Sixth through Ninth Companies are reserve companies, with forces distributed amongst the battle companies. The Tenth Company is the Chapter's neophyte company. Like the First, the Tenth rarely operates alone and distributes its forces to the battle companies. However, where the veterans are distributed to teach, the neophytes are sent to learn. Contrary to the Codex Astartes, the Death Heads have modified their method of advancement. Initiates begin fighting in the Assault Squads before progressing onto the Devastator and then Tactical Squads. For the Death Heads, no warrior is proven until they have killed with their hands.

The Death Heads mark their captains with ten golden Kraken Helms. Once the mark of the heads of [HOMEWORLD'S] warrior houses, the helms were given to the Death Heads to honor their place as her new warriors. Since the helms were first given to the Chapter, they have undergone extensive modification by the Chapter's Techmarines, turning the relics into equipment fit for Astartes. For the Death Heads, there is no greater honor than earning the right to don one of the golden helms. Should a captain fall, his brothers will throw all caution to the wind to retrieve the relic helm, honoring the Chapter's oaths to its world.

Librarians command great respect amongst the Death Heads. They are responsible for telling the tales of fallen heroes to their brother Astartes and recording new legacies for future generations. Few things are more sacred to the Death Heads than their own history, and so the Librarians bear the burden of the Chapter's pride. Neophytes in the Chapter grow hearing the tales of heroes, and all Death Heads fight with the dream of one day being preserved forever in the Librarians' tomes.

Combat Doctrine

F
or the Death Heads, there is no greater weapon than the fear they invoke in the hearts and minds of all the Emperor's foes. From the Astartes that storm the enemy's walls to their hidden brothers, all are tools to be used to attack and destroy the enemy, in both body and mind. They are coordinated with masterful precision, and a single purpose. Following in the footsteps of Caphon Derii, the Chapter's Captains continue his shock campaigns.

Before dedicating larger forces to worlds, smaller squads of veterans will lead forward campaigns, devastating the enemy's leadership and morale through a series of assassinations and sabotage operations. Since these forward units only number several Astartes, captains will often prepare multiple worlds before conducting a series of invasions. Following the saboteurs, the Death Heads launch their assault. The first strike rarely contains a single Astartes warrior, instead ravaging the enemy with Deathstorm Drop Pods. Immediately following the metallic beasts, the Chapter's newly inducted assault marines and veterans tear into the enemy, paving the road for armored vehicles and their brother Astartes.

Under certain circumstances, the Death Heads will forgo forward offensives and immediately begin their assaults. Their preferred methods of warfare have not hindered the Chapter's abilities, matching the ferocity of the Emperor's most zealous servants. Death Heads make extensive use of camouflage, and battle brothers rarely go into combat without the support of stealth squads.

The Chapter's Astartes are often headstrong, stubborn and volatile, courageous in the face of any foe. These traits have allowed the Death Heads to prevail against impossible odds. Relentless in assault and unyielding in defense, for the Astartes to retreat is to show weakness and dishonor the Chapter. In battle, the Death Heads fight in accordance with the Codex Astartes, their adherence matching their gene fathers, the Ultramarines. Drilled from childhood, the Death Heads fight with finesse and precision. The Astartes were bred for battle, none will rest until their task is complete or their duty ends in their death.

Chapter Cult

W
hile many traditions have been absorbed from the [WORLD] warrior houses, no tradition defines the Chapter more than the changing of faces. When each initiate joins the Chapter and is given their first suit of power armor, their first step is to print their skull as Derii ordered at the Chapter's founding. This skull takes on the role of the battle brother's face for all those outside the Chapter, save those the Astartes counts close. However, as time goes on and the battle brother achieves more and more, his face changes with him, taking shape of his greatest kill's skull and showing his achievements.

Death Heads habitually collect various trinkets and trophies from fallen enemies. This tradition was adopted from the [WORLD] warrior houses, both to show personal achievement and to acquire gifts for the Emperor. In following the [WORLD] warriors' traditions, weapons, charms, bones, teeth and all manner of things are taken from defeated enemies. When marines first return to their vessel, more interesting and valuable treasures are given to the Chaplains who then take them to the Apothecaries, Librarians and Techmarines. In turn, they take the most useful artifacts to study. Those treasures found useless and free from taint are returned to the battle brothers.

Significance of colors has come to take a role in the Death Head Cult. The Chapter's green has taken the role of symbolizing hope to the [WORLD] people. This hope is for humanity and the Imperium, and the road the Astartes will pave for both in future times. Red markings that decorate the Death Heads' armor signifies the means for the continued hope through bloodshed, both of allies lost and foes slain on the path to humanity's salvation. Together, the Death Heads symbolize the only method of humanity's continued survival amongst the stars, through bloodshed and sacrifice, walking forward, with the Astartes beside them as they move into the unknown.

The Chapter's Honor Duels are ritualistic competitions of strength and ability. Observed by Chaplains, these fights are for more valuable treasures taken from the spoils of victory. Two of the Chapter's Astartes fight, clad in their fatigues, until blood is drawn. Any Astartes may challenge another, regardless of rank or experience, providing both parties are interested in claiming the prize at hand. It is not uncommon for venerable marines to amass enormous hordes in their lifetimes. Many chapters have called the Death Heads' treasures worthless, some going so far as to accuse them of being heretical. However, these accusations have never endangered the Chapter's relationship with the Imperium, nor have they prevented this ancient custom from continuing.

Death Heads are always eager to tell their sagas to their younger brothers. Neophytes are often entertained and mesmerized by their more venerable brothers' tales, encompassing battles and victories across countless worlds. Many of the Chapter's veterans link their more renowned or important victories with treasures they've taken from their campaigns, often using these trinkets in their retelling of the story. Librarians tell the chronicles of the Chapter's fallen heroes during sermons to inspire the Astartes to even greater feats. All of these tales are recorded within the Chapter's Librarium on their home world.

The Death Heads honor the Emperor above all else, not as a god, but as the greatest man to ever live. To deny him is worthy of death, and to turn from his light is unforgivable. The Death Heads possess a terrible hatred for the traitors of the Imperium. [WORLD] still bears the scars from the Horus Heresy, and the Chapter is quick to accuse all traitors for this slight on their honor. Their hatred has resulted in multiple Companies rushing to fight against traitorous uprisings, regardless of their cause for rebellion. The Chapter's malevolence is reflected on the battlefield, the Death Heads are never more vicious than in the face of traitorous Astartes.

Gene-seed

L
ike a full two thirds of existing Chapters, the Death Heads are descend from Roboute Guilliman and his Ultramarines. With this heritage has come one of the purest gene-seeds amongst the Astartes, and Death Heads take the utmost pride in that fact. Their purity is seen as a dividing line between the Chapter and their traitorous kin. Death Head Apothecaries ensure their Chapter retains, and possess full use, of all of its implants, forever maintaining the divide. The Death Heads ensure that their gene-seed tithe to Mars is always paid punctually, for the Death Heads the tithe is a bond between the Chapter and the greater Imperium, and an honor that cannot be ignored.

In terms of the battle cry, taking that their [Homeworld] is a waterworld why not use something along the lines of: "From the seas!"

I mean in the essence that space can be seen as a different type of sea and that the Chapter has a bit of a piratical them - or it did last time - and play to that? Sort of like the "watch the skies" thing and the Raven Guard?

With regards to Organization, you are really stating the obvious if the Chapter is Codex: Adherent so maybe reword it or remove parts?

I once had a very interesting discussion with Apothete about the early marks of armour. He told me that it's only really first and second founding guys who would have anything like a large number of older-mark armours. So while I see where you're coming from, perhaps it might be better to avoid directly stating the Death Heads make use of older marks of armour.

4. "The Tainted" just isn't a good story. It serves no purpose aside from promoting Narrik to a position of command which he shouldn't have. The whole concept of the kraken helmets needs to be worked around.

Hmm. So does this mean Narrick isn't going to be a captain anymore? That would be kind of a shame, since he was a very characterful, er, character. :)

Is there any sort of particular flavour you want for the name of the Death Heads' homeworld?

It's brave indeed to dismantle your Chapter and attempt to rebuild it. I applaud you for it. I've not really been involved with this thread to any real degree, but your Chapter certainly has an interesting core.

I think making your Chapter part of the third founding is not recommended. Too many DIYers, after hearing that the second founding is off-limits, plonk their Chapter into the third. It doesn't really add that much in the way of legitimacy to a Chapter, and I don't think that old Chapters hold a monopoly on older marks of equipment. I personally would disagree with Apothete - I maintain that old equipment would be gifted to nascent Chapters as a mark of honour and respect, reinforcing the bond between Chapters. Make your Chapter old, if you want - perhaps it might add a sense of 'legitimacy' - but you could safely pick anything up to the tenth founding and still be able to count.

- > What would you say are your core themes? I'm given to understand you're interested in pirates. What is it about pirates that you particularly like, or wish to embody in this article?

I find the reasoning behind Caphon deciding to unleash terror upon the foes of the Emperor a little suspect. It's such a dramatic departure from what we know of the White Consuls (who arguably wouldn't have diverged too far from the Ultramarines) that it doesn't ring true. Every single brother of the Chapter adorning themselves with a skull? It would seem better if Caphon had been granted a vision, or if it were the result of reading the Emperor's Tarot - and even then it makes me question things. Given that the Mortifactors are supposed to be second founding (I understand that's disputed) I don't question that a Chapter could do it, but then I question which aspects of the Astartes archetype you're trying to emphasise. I can't immediately see these grim-visaged warriors being particularly noble, for example. To attempt to terrify their enemies...? Perhaps you could try to explain that it was a vivid symbol of their attempts to bring death to the foes of the enemy.

I like that the homeworld was destroyed by the loyalists and not the traitors. It has echoes of the fate of Krieg, but it has interesting consequences. They sacrificed themselves to deny the traitors ground. That's an interesting theme and an interesting mindset that could be played upon.

'The Solitary Abbey' -? The name isn't the most inspiring, honestly.

Interestingly, you state that "For the Death Heads, no warrior is proven until they have killed with their hands." - Would they not 'kill with their hands' during their service in the Scout Company?

I'm not entirely sold on the Kraken Helms - but perhaps not in the way you think. It's far, far, far too cliché for a Chapter's homeworld to have ten clans that then become ten Companies, or somesuch. I don't really like the idea that they're the same helmets from the homeworld - perhaps it would be better simply to have them modified to resemble them - after all, I would question whether the craftsmen of your homeworld could produce something that is the equal of an Astartes helm.

The combat doctrine needs refinement, I think - you ought to consider the consequences of your fear-based doctrine. It's a little lacking in certain areas, and I wonder whether you're compromising your theme.

The idea of tradition and superstition is not a bad one, and is something that I think could easily be absorbed from a feral world. I think you need to go into detail about the "changing of faces", if it's something you're actually keen on. What significance does it have? I also have to question the logic to a degree - how can something be terrible and scary if they managed to kill it?

I do like the idea of gathering trinkets and treasures - which obviously links back to your piratical origins. I have to wonder how the value of treasure is judged, though, or else your Chapter's vaults would be overflowing with junk! The significance of colours is something interesting, but I think if you want to tie it in, you would need to look at how that is drawn through the Chapter - otherwise it becomes meaningless.

In summary, reduce the Chapter to its core themes, and examine how you want to expand upon them. I'm interested to see the Chapter flourish once more!

I personally would disagree with Apothete

I tried that once, long ago. My knee still hurts in the cold weather.

Sorry - I couldn't resist that. :cuss

I suppose with a thousand chapters in the Imperium, there could be at least one that gifts away it's most ancient and venerable suits of armour, perhaps as a sign of trust and faith in the new chapter to do The Emperor's bidding.

I, like Commisar Mol, haven't had much to do with these guys, apart from admiring them from the sidelines as I read through the Perditia stuff, but I would like to make a comment.

In regards to the things your stripping out I personally always liked the superstitious and distrust over the colour blue that your Chapter had. I always felt that it was A. Unique and B. it linked the Chapter to its theme of pirates as pirates were a VERY superstitious bunch. I fell that it was always a clever and nifty idea that gave your Chapter character. I also liked the Tainted story, and of how Narrick became a Captain when he shouldn't.

That said I respect your desire to re-write your Chapter, as I am starting the same process with two of mine, although they are no where near as recognised or as developed as yours. I just hope you don't loose all those little cool things that made your Chapter one of the truly uniques ones out there.

Edited by Silver Phoenix

I suppose with a thousand chapters in the Imperium, there could be at least one that gifts away it's most ancient and venerable suits of armour, perhaps as a sign of trust and faith in the new chapter to do The Emperor's bidding.

I would have thought that on some remote factory or forge worlds some older equipment would still be being produced to a small degree. Newer production schematics, methods and materials would take a long time to filter out into the Imperium and perhaps by the 41st millennium everyone is making the last two armour marks, I'd have thought that older equipment would still be very prevalent for much of the Imperiums time line. But then, that's me.

I also love the older armour marks so I can't really say for certain that I'm not being bias towards being able to model them into my own army when I get the chance.

I tried that once, long ago. My knee still hurts in the cold weather.

I thought that was from when you tripped down the stairs of the reclusiam with your Power Fist engaged?

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

In terms of the battle cry, taking that their [Homeworld] is a waterworld why not use something along the lines of: "From the seas!"

I mean in the essence that space can be seen as a different type of sea and that the Chapter has a bit of a piratical them - or it did last time - and play to that? Sort of like the "watch the skies" thing and the Raven Guard?

With regards to Organization, you are really stating the obvious if the Chapter is Codex: Adherent so maybe reword it or remove parts?

"Watch the skies seems to be a more general Space Marine thing though. "Death from above" is consistent with every Space Marine who drops through a world's atmosphere into the heart of the enemy. "From the seas" isn't quite so inspiring in my opinion.

As far as organization goes, I think I've left it bare enough that it's not banging too much on the door of obvious. But, I've been wrong about these things before.

I once had a very interesting discussion with Apothete about the early marks of armour. He told me that it's only really first and second founding guys who would have anything like a large number of older-mark armours. So while I see where you're coming from, perhaps it might be better to avoid directly stating the Death Heads make use of older marks of armour.

Well, Mk.7 came into use at the Siege of Terra. No doubt up until this point all the other armors, save Mk. 1 (obsolete) and Mk. 3 (heavily specialized) were in common circulation amongst the Chapters. If the Red Scorpions are any example to follow though, Mk. 4 is still in production, so there's no reason Mk. 2, 3, and 6 aren't either. It's very likely that any Chapter that takes losses makes use of the design set by Mk. 5 as well, simply bolting inferior armor plates to existing armor to improve protection.

Hmm. So does this mean Narrick isn't going to be a captain anymore? That would be kind of a shame, since he was a very characterful, er, character.

Even though Narrik isn't going to be a Captain he is still Chapter Champion. The character will be there, in fact he will be there as he was intended to be, a hound on a very, very short leash.

Is there any sort of particular flavour you want for the name of the Death Heads' homeworld?

This is where the whole thing gets confusing, I would imagine.

The Death Heads themselves are a conglomerate of several areas, predominantly the Mediterranean (Italy and North Africa), the Caribbean and Hawaiian islands. The theme overall is island and coastal areas.

It's brave indeed to dismantle your Chapter and attempt to rebuild it. I applaud you for it. I've not really been involved with this thread to any real degree, but your Chapter certainly has an interesting core.

They say bravery and insanity are sometimes indistinguishable, but I'll take the applause :) ! Coming from the creator of my favorite IA in the Librarium, any compliments are much appreciated.

I think making your Chapter part of the third founding is not recommended. Too many DIYers, after hearing that the second founding is off-limits, plonk their Chapter into the third. It doesn't really add that much in the way of legitimacy to a Chapter, and I don't think that old Chapters hold a monopoly on older marks of equipment. I personally would disagree with Apothete - I maintain that old equipment would be gifted to nascent Chapters as a mark of honour and respect, reinforcing the bond between Chapters. Make your Chapter old, if you want - perhaps it might add a sense of 'legitimacy' - but you could safely pick anything up to the tenth founding and still be able to count.

All too true. I never had the intention of making them as old as justifiably possibly by sticking them in the third founding. In fact, the idea struck me in a way I think I failed to put in the IA. I liked the idea of Caphon coming out of the Horus Heresy and linking his hatred of traitors to the hatred the people of the home world had. I also meant to add a paragraph to the home world describing the search before finding the water world they chose, with Caphon liberating worlds and refusing to take them for the Chapter because of the pain it caused him to see the results or bear the shame of Chaos Occupation. The difference is that the home world won in the end, didn't deal with occupation, and has the hatred without the lasting scars of things like a lasting demonic presence (or at least an obvious one, as hinted by the sea monsters). I agree with the idea that older chapters do not have the monopoly on older armor now, but I'd just like it to be known they're not third founding for that reason alone.

I find the reasoning behind Caphon deciding to unleash terror upon the foes of the Emperor a little suspect. It's such a dramatic departure from what we know of the White Consuls (who arguably wouldn't have diverged too far from the Ultramarines) that it doesn't ring true. Every single brother of the Chapter adorning themselves with a skull? It would seem better if Caphon had been granted a vision, or if it were the result of reading the Emperor's Tarot - and even then it makes me question things. Given that the Mortifactors are supposed to be second founding (I understand that's disputed) I don't question that a Chapter could do it, but then I question which aspects of the Astartes archetype you're trying to emphasise. I can't immediately see these grim-visaged warriors being particularly noble, for example. To attempt to terrify their enemies...? Perhaps you could try to explain that it was a vivid symbol of their attempts to bring death to the foes of the enemy.

I'm honestly not familiar with any of the background surrounding the White Consuls beyond what Lexicanum provides (2 Chapter Masters, guard the Eye of Terror, codex, and reverse Ultramarine colors). The Space Wolves have a similar problem to what you describe with the Death Heads, vikings are never described as being very noble. They drink, beat and pillage, live in the cold and wear animal skins. What makes them noble is their defense of Imperial citizens. Similarly what makes the Death Heads noble is their persecution of traitors. The vivid symbol is a little literal. Another one that may be looked at is how Caphon values individuals. The skull is supposed to be a face to everyone outside the Chapter, marines have to prove themselves to put "meat on bones" and take the achievement of battlefield kills into their being.

I like that the homeworld was destroyed by the loyalists and not the traitors. It has echoes of the fate of Krieg, but it has interesting consequences. They sacrificed themselves to deny the traitors ground. That's an interesting theme and an interesting mindset that could be played upon.

'The Solitary Abbey' -? The name isn't the most inspiring, honestly.

Interestingly, you state that "For the Death Heads, no warrior is proven until they have killed with their hands." - Would they not 'kill with their hands' during their service in the Scout Company?

The two biggest consequences are 1. The world being almost completely submerged (rather obvious, but key to the second) and 2. The hatred the world holds for traitors to the Emperor.

The Solitary Abbey is an example of my poor ability to think of names. Strabo Thussaud, Astos Narrik and Rocha Filo all had outside input. Lucil Tobulo and Tomaj Barbari were my own creations, and the quality difference shows :) !

Yes, they would kill with their hands during their service in the scout company, so yes, my point is void, so that needs to be rejustified.

I'm not entirely sold on the Kraken Helms - but perhaps not in the way you think. It's far, far, far too cliché for a Chapter's homeworld to have ten clans that then become ten Companies, or somesuch. I don't really like the idea that they're the same helmets from the homeworld - perhaps it would be better simply to have them modified to resemble them - after all, I would question whether the craftsmen of your homeworld could produce something that is the equal of an Astartes helm.

Modeling them on the helms of the warrior houses is probably a better idea, yes. There should also be eleven of them (Chapter Master + 10 Captains). As for the last point, the Death Heads basically took the helmets and rebuilt them, changing everything but the basic shape in the end.

The combat doctrine needs refinement, I think - you ought to consider the consequences of your fear-based doctrine. It's a little lacking in certain areas, and I wonder whether you're compromising your theme.

At this point with everything I'm reading on ideas of Space Marine espionage (ie: probably not the best), simply making them extremely vicious shock troops (as in more vicious than the already rabid vicious of most Space Marine Chapters) seems preferable to any armchair general speculation on the finer points of superhuman terrorism.

The idea of tradition and superstition is not a bad one, and is something that I think could easily be absorbed from a feral world. I think you need to go into detail about the "changing of faces", if it's something you're actually keen on. What significance does it have? I also have to question the logic to a degree - how can something be terrible and scary if they managed to kill it?

The biggest problem with this being that the home world is not particularly feral. This is the rebuilt ruin of a Great Crusade era society. The society is divided between soldiers and civilians though by caste, and the soldiers are far less refined than the civilians. The superstitions aren't necessarily bad, to me they're just stupid. A marine is a seven to eight foot tall killing machine, indoctrinated to know no fear, kill without question, and be faithful unto death. Blue will not make this superman feel uneasy, and red will not make him feel more secure.

The "Changing of Faces" is something I am especially keen on keeping. The greatest significance of the "Changing of Faces" is the achievement it marks that a marine has made. The kill in question isn't necessarily terrible or scary, what's scary is the seven to eight foot giant who has killed it and has made a mockery of what would make most mortal men soil themselves with tribal paintings on their helmets. It's not supposed to scare the marines, if anything it makes other marines respect you, "Hey, look at Monssaud, boy's killed himself a Hive Tyrant,". It's a mark of personal achievement, nothing more and nothing less. To put it the way I wanted it to come across:

"I am, in part, what I have killed, and I have killed monstrous things, but I am mightier still and I will go on to kill mightier monsters".

I do like the idea of gathering trinkets and treasures - which obviously links back to your piratical origins. I have to wonder how the value of treasure is judged, though, or else your Chapter's vaults would be overflowing with junk! The significance of colours is something interesting, but I think if you want to tie it in, you would need to look at how that is drawn through the Chapter - otherwise it becomes meaningless.

The value of treasures is purely personal. Chapter vaults will, no doubt, be filled with junk. A marine may, at one point, rip the teeth out of an Ork Warboss's head and make a necklace to remember the occasion where he decapitated the Ork leadership (literally) and felled a Waaagh before any real damage could come to pass. This necklace will be absolute junk to almost anyone, including other Death Heads.

- > What would you say are your core themes? I'm given to understand you're interested in pirates. What is it about pirates that you particularly like, or wish to embody in this article?

In summary, reduce the Chapter to its core themes, and examine how you want to expand upon them. I'm interested to see the Chapter flourish once more!

I think these two effectively went together.

The biggest core themes of the Death Heads can probably be listed as following:

Hatred of traitors (both to Chaos and simple rebels) and extreme punishments for them

Slightly tribal practices such as decorating armor with red marking and the "face" to show personal achievement

Trophy taking and flaunting of said trophies

Emphasis on close quarter combat

One of the things that I seem to always be hinting towards but never able to put into words is an idea that the Death Heads do not really acknowledge themselves but acknowledge one another as a collection of everything they have done. To put it in a way, you do not recognize Brother Monssaud for his personality, but you recognize him for having served in the Deathwatch, having reached a place in the First Company, having killed his current face and having more trophies than most.

Thanks, Mol, I'll do my best to make the Death Heads shine!

In regards to the things your stripping out I personally always liked the superstitious and distrust over the colour blue that your Chapter had. I always felt that it was A. Unique and B. it linked the Chapter to its theme of pirates as pirates were a VERY superstitious bunch. I fell that it was always a clever and nifty idea that gave your Chapter character. I also liked the Tainted story, and of how Narrick became a Captain when he shouldn't.

While I'll agree that it was unique, I always found myself looking at it in a way that smothered it. Of the Four Captains in the Perditia Campaign three completely ignored normal superstition (Tobulo, Thussaud and Filo), and Barbari leaned towards a more superstitions mentality but only caused problems because of it. Individuals being put in command positions they shouldn't be in leads to events like the Badab War. It just didn't work out from what I was seeing.

I'd have thought that older equipment would still be very prevalent for much of the Imperiums time line. But then, that's me.

The Red Scorpions make near exclusive use of Mk. 4 and it's doubtful that all of it was produced during the Great Crusade. It's very likely everything the Imperium has ever produced is still in production somewhere.

I thought that was from when you tripped down the stairs of the reclusiam with your Power Fist engaged?

No, that was the other leg. The bionic one. You'd best stop that infernal squeeking in your mechanical leg, Ace, or I'll oil it with promethium ;) !

I'd have thought that older equipment would still be very prevalent for much of the Imperiums time line. But then, that's me.

The Red Scorpions make near exclusive use of Mk. 4 and it's doubtful that all of it was produced during the Great Crusade. It's very likely everything the Imperium has ever produced is still in production somewhere.

On this point, I'd say it works just like the Administratum does - they keep records for everything, finding such records is often the probelm. So in parrallel, I'd say that it is produced, but perhaps only on some "backwater" Forge World.

"From the seas!" was only an idea, a basic concept, I fully accept that it is utter trash :)

Coming from the creator of my favorite IA in the Librarium, any compliments are much appreciated.

Well, thank you! I don't really think too many people these days remember those scarlet-clad zealots!

With reference to your previous post:

-> I think hatred for those who scorn the Imperium is certainly an interesting angle. As I said, it can link to the homeworld. It can also link to the importance of history. Every child on your homeworld learns just why their homeworld was flooded. It provides interesting themes that I think should be threaded through the entirety of your article. The importance of sacrifice is a key one. Another interesting one would be the purifying nature of water (as opposed to the usual 'purifying flame'.) You can imagine Chapter Serfs washing the Chapters' armour clean of the blood and smoke of battle with water from their homeworld. It would also seem to suggest a specific angle toward the heretic rather than the alien. Orks, Tyranids, Tau and Necrons - they are ignorant of the light of the Emperor, too stupid to appreciate it (and as aliens, they do not deserve it.) The heretic has willingly chosen to turn his back on the bountiful gifts offered to him by the Emperor. Foremost among those gifts is his life - and the Death Heads are there to exact their dues.

-> The Space Wolf paradigm is based around the noble savage. It's a juxtaposition that works for them. They care deeply for the Imperium, as evidenced by the first war for Armageddon. I don't see the same compelling hook in your Chapter. Persecution of traitors does not make your Chapter noble. It rather depends if nobility is something you're aiming for, but I think there needs to be a clear explanation for the departure from the Ultramarines (and by extension the White Consuls). If you're set on the skulls being a clear part of the Chapter's history (and a core part of their beliefs) then you need to explain much more in the origins. Caphon is not really introduced as a compelling character, and so his decisions lack much in the way of narrative weight.

-> Potential names for their Fortress Monastery: The Pinnacle, the Outlook, Stormhold...? The first two, particularly, work as they've got multiple meanings. Becoming an Astartes is the pinnacle for any warrior of your planet. Just think out of the box!

-> The Kraken Helms... consider that a Space Marines' armour is made of ceramite (something I imagine your homeworld couldn't use.) Astartes helms incorporate auto-senses, filters, rebreathers and much more. I would think that whilst the artisans of a Chapter could replicate the design of a helmet, they would have trouble fitting them into a ancient relic which probably is made of lesser materials. (Arguably, a Space Marines' head is bigger than that of a normal man!)

->I'm interested as to how exactly you're going to make them vicious (especially given the question around 'nobility'.)

-> Consider that we are not a particularly 'feral' world by Imperial standards. We won't walk under ladders, we throw salt over our shoulders. If someone sneezes, we'll still say "(God) Bless You" as a remnant of the black plague. Superstitions crop up everywhere, and they certainly would exist in the Imperium. Just as every thirteenth track-link on a Land Raider is emblazoned with an Aquila to represent the Emperor. Numbers would have significance. This is a universe where faith can literally be the greatest weaponry against daemons, for example. Space Marines are disciplined and efficient super-soldiers, yes. But they're many other things. Superstition has its place, especially in battle (consider the phrase that 'there are no atheists in a foxhole') and could well cornerstone the lives of the Astartes. Reciting prayers as they load their weapons or engage the seals on their armour. This is "grimdark", and superstition has its place. Consider the Silver Skulls, who you were originally basing this Chapter off - they won't even fight in battle unless the portents of the Imperial Tarots show that they should. Isn't that "stupid"? It has its place in the 40k universe, though.