IA: Angels of Shadow 10/01/18 - added two Heroes

Cpt_Reaper

How would you suggest I explain the reason that the Chapter hase a high amount of Land Raiders but no Predators at all, and very few whirlwinds or vindicators? I have always wanted that to be a part of the Chapter, and yet have not thought of a reason why. Also, every Squad in the Chapter that is granted a Rhino also has access to a Razorback. What are your thoughts on this?

How would you suggest I explain the reason that the Chapter hase a high amount of Land Raiders but no Predators at all, and very few whirlwinds or vindicators? I have always wanted that to be a part of the Chapter, and yet have not thought of a reason why. Also, every Squad in the Chapter that is granted a Rhino also has access to a Razorback. What are your thoughts on this?

Master of Forge put the blueprints somewhere, and he cannot find then anymore... ;)

Joking aside. It's possible for Chapter to trust more flesh than steel and thus the vehicles are relegated to purpose of transports only.

• 3 weeks later...
With the force of the fabled bowling ball of the Librarium, I have worked it out! The 11th Company is not a separate Company, it is the entire chapter. Someone mentioned something about DA successors being considered part of the Legion. The Angels of Shadow are the 11th Grand Company! A good idea? Average idea? Heresy of the highest order?

With the force of the fabled bowling ball of the Librarium, I have worked it out! The 11th Company is not a separate Company, it is the entire chapter. Someone mentioned something about DA successors being considered part of the Legion. The Angels of Shadow are the 11th Grand Company! A good idea? Average idea? Heresy of the highest order?

Being a DA successor ... it works.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Greetings Brethren. I have here two painter images for your viewing. One is a basic Tactical Marine with a red bolter and the others are Veterans with two possible new robe colours. I am looking for opinions on these as blank metal bolters are boring and red robes...well I want something a bit different.

Tactical

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/angels_of_shadow_captain/Angels%20of%20Shadow%20painter%20scemes/spacemarine.jpg

Blue Robes

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/angels_of_shadow_captain/Angels%20of%20Shadow%20painter%20scemes/spacemarine1.jpg

Green Robes

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/angels_of_shadow_captain/Angels%20of%20Shadow%20painter%20scemes/spacemarine2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so...when the Librarium is back up I intend to submit the article. So for now I am just fixing the layout and working on getting some artwork and pics of models to include. While I don't want to make any changes, feel free to point out problems and any inconsistencies. Also help me decide on a robe colour that is better than red.

Cheers

I also am quite partial to the green. Helps them show their heritage. As for the bolter...what colour other than red won't look out of place? For the moment I will not paint the robes, but will wait for further opinions. Who knows...someone may suggest a colour better than green for the robes.

The Angels of Shadow were created during the 11th Founding from the gene-seed of Lion El'Jonson and beingwere a direct descendand/s]descendent of the Dark Angels.

this continued for many years, most believing the Chapter to be cursed and doomed to die out. Then a miracle was delivered in the form of Invalice, a planet on the very edges of Segmentum Ultima.

- Could this be seen as the result of prayer to the Lion? Maybe makes them more zealous?

At Sodiel's suggestion the practice of swordplay became a major focus for the Chapter, the veteran explaining that it would be a good way to allow the Chapter to further integrate itself with the people of Invalice.

Based on the HH Dark Angel novels, swordplay was common in The Order; they practiced a unique way of fighting with swords, kinda like the Spanish way of dueling. From inference, we can assume that this carried over to the DA Legion and thence to the chapters. This probably is continued into the successors, so, unless it’s a big thing, this could be dropped as we can assume that DA chapters love swords and the like.

Their duty done, the Deathwing veterans returned to their Chapter and left the Angels of Shadow to forge its own destiny.

I usually think DA successors keep their trainers, due to the paranoia of the secret. They want to maintain full purity as much as is possible.

Now, with beliefs, I think that, if you have them praying for some sort of salvation for the chapter so they can actually build it. It could make them even more zealous for the Lion and they believe in him with a insane conviction. Indeed, you could have them hate their own traitors even more. As in 'what! How could anyone betray the Lion!! He is the saviour of us all' or something like that.

Edited by Brother-Sergeant Bohemond

- Could this be seen as the result of prayer to the Lion? Maybe makes them more zealous?

I like that a lot. Maybe even go so far as to have them knocked out of the warp and into orbit over Invalice, taking it as a direct sign?

Based on the HH Dark Angel novels, swordplay was common in The Order; they practiced a unique way of fighting with swords, kinda like the Spanish way of dueling. From inference, we can assume that this carried over to the DA Legion and thence to the chapters. This probably is continued into the successors, so, unless it’s a big thing, this could be dropped as we can assume that DA chapters love swords and the like.

Well I was hoping to show that swords were a huge part of the Chapter culture, having each member not only forge his own blade once he reaches a certain rank, but divide the veterans depending on the type of blade they forged. Eg: One squad train with Katana while another train with great swords. Sound like a good idea?

I usually think DA successors keep their trainers, due to the paranoia of the secret. They want to maintain full purity as much as is possible.

Duly noted. I hadn't thought of it that way anyway, so thanks.

Now, with beliefs, I think that, if you have them praying for some sort of salvation for the chapter so they can actually build it. It could make them even more zealous for the Lion and they believe in him with a insane conviction. Indeed, you could have them hate their own traitors even more. As in 'what! How could anyone betray the Lion!! He is the saviour of us all' or something like that.

This is a great idea. It totally captures the character of the Chapter, I just lacked the knowledge of how to implement it. Now how to explain their...relaxed view to xenos?

I like that a lot. Maybe even go so far as to have them knocked out of the warp and into orbit over Invalice, taking it as a direct sign?

yes, this could work. A sidebar or caption covering the intensity of the Chaplain's prayer could work as well, to convey the emotions running through him

Well I was hoping to show that swords were a huge part of the Chapter culture, having each member not only forge his own blade once he reaches a certain rank, but divide the veterans depending on the type of blade they forged. Eg: One squad train with Katana while another train with great swords. Sound like a good idea?

This can be added in as well as keeping the DA 'feel' of swordsmanship; that the recruits showed a love for swords or something like that and it has been fully adopted into the Chapter. I think this dividing is an interesting concept, but, needs to be added in without detracting from the idea of a Marine's tactical flexibility.

This is a great idea. It totally captures the character of the Chapter, I just lacked the knowledge of how to implement it. Now how to explain their...relaxed view to xenos?

I think you have already explained it. They see them as less of a threat to the Chapter than the traitors - of any kind. They would rather see an Imperial World fall to Xenos than see one traitor escape. These guys are more dedicated to the hunt than any other Chapter due to the tragic second betrayal. This needs to be expanded I think. As already Unforgiven, just how do they feel as doubly shamed. Not only did members of their Legion betray them, but their own Chapter failed the Lion?? This is what makes your chapter very very interesting to discuss and read. This is their tragic flaw/fall. This is what defines them and makes them who they are.

They see them as less of a threat to the Chapter than the traitors - of any kind. They would rather see an Imperial World fall to Xenos than see one traitor escape. These guys are more dedicated to the hunt than any other Chapter due to the tragic second betrayal. This needs to be expanded I think. As already Unforgiven, just how do they feel as doubly shamed. Not only did members of their Legion betray them, but their own Chapter failed the Lion??

If you don't mind I'd like to paraphrase this and put it in a sidebar.

Hell-o here...

I think you know, what will follow. :devil:

Origins

The Chapter was initially lead by a trio of Deathwing Sergeants, Brother Gabriel, Brother Arturias and Brother Sodiel, as well as Libraian Samuel and Interrogator-Chaplain Eremiel. Each Sergeant was attached to one of the three Companies that the Chapter comprised of, those that would eventually become the 3rd, 4th and 5th Companies. Samuel and Eremiel oversaw the creation of the Librarium and the training of those with psychic potential, as well as those who would become the first Chaplains.

- Name-dropping. None of these characters is important enough to warrant a distinctive mention.

- Second, there will be more of them.

Recruitment seemed to be plagued by ill fortune, for every recruit gathered as the fleet headed east was killed during training or in battle. This continued for many years, most believing the Chapter to be cursed and doomed to die out.

- I smell serious lack of competence, but if you want...

These knights, for lack of a better term, proved to be an ideal source of recruits, already trained from an early age in many different styles of warfare.

- Not in Space Marine style of warfare, that's for sure... :unsure:

During this time the Deathwing veterans oversaw the fluid transition of the Chapter into the society of Invalice and the training of recruits. At Sodiel's suggestion the practice of swordplay became a major focus for the Chapter, the veteran explaining that it would be a good way to allow the Chapter to further intergrate itself with the people of Invalice. While it was the young that were recruited to become Astartes, it was the old that helped train them and formed the Chapter Auxilia. Within a few generations practices such as the naming of ranks began to emerge in the Chapter that mimicked those of the knights of Invalice.

- Sidebar.

However, the Chapter still was without a name, being designated Chapter Umbra-11a.

- The Chapters are given name at their founding, it's odd to not have a name at this point.

Librarian Samuel noted that the psykers that had been recruited from the planet all sported pyro-kinetic abilities, ranging from raising their body temperature to a point where they turned the water in the air around them to vapour to forming massive bursts of fire from their hands. After careful study it was revealed that those with phychic talents all seemed to originate from a single bloodline that stretched back to the days of the Great Crusade. These “blaze kin” luckily were all part of a single city famous for it's quality of arms, all forged using their supernatural gifts.

- Sidebar or Homeworld section.

The final gift to the Chapter was a boost to it's Armoury, a collection of tanks, suits of armour and weapons requistioned by Gabriel. Tactical Dreadnought Armour, as well as a fleet of bikes and Land Speeders was also gifted to the Chapter to compliment the supplies granted by the Adeptus Mechanicus. It is also known that a MkXIV jetbike was given to the Chapter and locked away in their Armoury until such a time that it was required.

The Chapter was left in the hands of Gabriel, who was declared the Chapter Master and given the title Master of Shadows. He served for 400 years before being slain by a warrior of the World Eaters, after which Draconis, who had risen to become the Captain of the Bladewing, was declared the new Master of Shadows and the Chapter entered a time when many legends were made.

- Blah, blah blah... Nothing really interesting or important. :(

The Tale of Chaplain Ideazon

- Eeerm, I sence a great disturbance in the warp timeline.

Homeworld

- That was exhausting description of Homeworld... especially that part, where you talk about things we have no idea(, yet).

Historic Battles:

*yawn* What's next? -_-

Appearance:

- Dude, I can tell that from the pictures. If you really want to talk about these things, then sidebar is the way to go.

Combat Doctrine:

The Angels of Shadow have been described as ruthless, never ceasing until their foe is vanquished entirely. The Chapter Armoury holds within no Predator tanks, three Vindicators and a pair of Whirlwinds. This is due to the entire Predator fleet being stolen and subsequently destroyed in the Fall of Sulln.

- My Chapter, Manticora Warriors don't use jump-packs of any kind, because this wargear has been shamelessly stolen by Gretchins during the Battle of Toof and the Techmarines are unable to produce it anymore, because it's not STC or something like that... Oh, wait a second?!? :huh: :cuss

Chapter Culture:

... and that the sword is the holy weapon of the rightous.

- Yeah, it's not like the sword is used by vile xenos or nasty traitors... :o

Indeed, upon being granted veteran status, a brother must choose a style of sword to forge, be it a lightning fast katana or the brutal greatsword. The type of blade he makes will determine the squad he is placed in from then on, training in the way of that blade on top of the training of an Astartes.

- And? You know, you could turn this into really good side-theme of your Chapter. However, in the current state it looks more like throw-away line than anything else.

+++++

Overall: It's good read, but I wouldn't call it 'complete'. It's just too early. ;)

Cheers, NightrawenII.

Hell-o here...

I think you know, what will follow. B)

I knew what was coming when I saw your name under recent post. It was a 50/50 chance you'd either agree or tear it a new one...back to work I go. Once again thank you for your assistance.

• 5 months later...
Indeed, upon being granted veteran status, a brother must choose a style of sword to forge, be it a lightning fast katana or the brutal greatsword. The type of blade he makes will determine the squad he is placed in from then on, training in the way of that blade on top of the training of an Astartes.

- And? You know, you could turn this into really good side-theme of your Chapter. However, in the current state it looks more like throw-away line than anything else

I was just working on the latest edit when I was well and truly stumped by this. How would you recommend I expand on the theme for the Chapter? Should I use the Culture section to expand it, use a sidebar or even give it a section itself?

+edit+

A lot of the things that are to be taken out/moved are still there. I have them highlighted in the master document so that when I work out what I need to do with them I can find them quickly.

Edited by 11th Company Dark Master

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed one thing about this chapter that leaves me wondering.

How does the chapter know of eldar history? As far as I know, the details of the Fall are known to few.