Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online

THQInsider

Customisation = slightly different colours, purity seals, maltese crosses, skulls, different parts of power armour....

BT is the only playable chapter. Period.

Thanks for clearing that up for us :woot:

MMORPG.com: How will you handle the many Space Marine Chapters in the game? Will there be some form of customization for players?

Tim Campbell: All I can say for now is that the chapter that we are focusing on for our base playable Space Marine is the Black Templars. There are many reasons for choosing this particular chapter that will be revealed over time. As for what other Space Marine chapters will make an appearance in DMO, we’ll keep you posted, but it’s safe to presume that there will be some sort of customization option for players, after all this is an MMO we’re talking about! :P

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into comments concerning other chapters unless they specifically state that they will be playable. The MMORPG interview only hints that other chapters may be involved with the story, but that's about it. The comment about customization is separate from the one about chapters, because he was addressing two different questions at once. Besides, chapter affiliation isn't exactly something that's customizable. It's not likely that a BT is going to roll out of bed and decide to wear his Salamander pants, because he has a hot date later.

Except that the Devs know that Black Templars aren't the only Space Marine Chapter, and can't even claim the title of most popular Chapter. They know that people will be upset and not as interested in playing the game if they can't play their Chapter of choice.

Even if its only cosmetic- different colored armor, different iconography- there will be the option to play other Chapters.

Or I will be one of those upset and uninterested people that I mentioned :P

They're probably not going to make a Horus Heresy game (for example) that lets you fight for Terra as an Ultramarine with the Emperor at your side. You can't please everybody.

The Dark Millenium story takes place in a remote, uninhabited area at the edge of the galaxy (a little cliche, but whatever). It's probably not very likely that many chapters are going to be involved, especially ones as important as the Templars. Even if some others are involved, they're going to have to play an important role in order to warrant having them as a playable race/faction/class/whatever, but we already know that the story focuses on the Templars. If others do become playable, it will probably be part of a later expansion.

There simply won't be the option to swap your colors and iconography (to that of other chapters). This game isn't going to be like DoW 2 multiplayer (didn't play the first one, so can't comment on it). It's going to be like the campaign mode where your equipment changes your character's appearance, but you're still 100% Blood Raven. There is an actual story to this game, and if your favorite chapter is on the other side of the galaxy, you aren't going to be able to play as that chapter. It would just be stupid if they allowed that...just like playing an Ultramarine fighting Horus.

I personally don't see any reason not to be happy about Templars. They're an iconic SM chapter that hasn't been played to death already. The game isn't even all about Templars. There are two different sides that are probably going to include a lot more than just SM's. If you don't like Templars, then you have other options.

Yeah, you can please everybody. You can create a situation like one of Sicarius' campaigns where he had over a dozen different Chapters fighting alongside him.

So it was that when the Drop Pods fell on Augura, no less than a dozen company banners were hoisted aloft to challenge the upstart Tau.

Easy as pie. Especially since there will be a variety of "Destruction" forces present, calling for as much support as can be gathered to fight them off of the Imperium's soil.

I do love, by the way, how you present as fact information about a game that we know next to nothing about.

And there's plenty of reasons not to be happy with Templars. Iconic SM Chapter, yes. Hasn't been 'played to death', yes. That doesn't mean I have to like them.

• 5 weeks later...
What an odd last post to end on. There really isn't much else to say, but this is the only DMO thread that I've came acrossed as of yet. So basically, it seems like everyone is either being a fanboy for or against the Black Templars, and everyone should have just acknowledged that as a Space Marine you will have to start as a Black Templar. You can customize your wargear for ages, however, it is unknown whether one will ever be able to switch to another chapter or have any sort of access to a "painter". AND it looks like The Emperor's Champion and Artein are blatently avoiding anything resembling intelligent arguing or evidence as to the actual facts of the game. Furthermore they have decided that the game will not have any playable space marines that aren't Black Templar, and all other chapters are NPC's and the game will be nothing more than a wow-clone but would be the best if it played like Planetside-Eve(im not going to mention you talking about crappy AA titles like Firefall or natural selection) with the interface of the best multiplayer title ever: Fallout 3.....0_0 It's a good thing you two are here to straighten the rest of us out, we would be lost without your Dichotomy god complex.

I'm disappointed with the lack of info, certainly. Which trailer are you talking about, though? The "Imperium of Man" trailer? I rather enjoyed it, I'm happy to see at least part of what the IoM race has to offer (well, I hope it's only part, there better be more to the IoM than what was in the trailer!).

I'm disappointed with the lack of info, certainly. Which trailer are you talking about, though? The "Imperium of Man" trailer? I rather enjoyed it, I'm happy to see at least part of what the IoM race has to offer (well, I hope it's only part, there better be more to the IoM than what was in the trailer!).

The IoM trailer was released in the 2010 E3, iirc. They released another trailer that is best termed a "teaser" at this E3. Its... its okay. If they had released this new trailer in the 2010 E3 and the IoM trailer this year it would have been better.

Which means one of two things to me:

1) They're working really hard on the game and can't spare anyone to make a decent trailer.

2) That was the best they could put together... and makes me worry for the game.

Or that they needed to change ideas and restart certain things so had nothing to show.

Or that they don't want to keep showing the Imperium of Man, maybe some xenos or chaos.

Archived