Flesh tearer devastators

Mortarion

With the new BA codex I have begun to add new units to my Flesh tearers army. After finishing the shiny new Sanguinary guard I wanted to add something that would change the way I played the army. And since my army was very much assault-oriented I decided to add a devastator squad, which had become a much more viable choise.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/FT/devs01.jpg

The whole unit. It is painted in the same style as the rest of the army.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/FT/devs02.jpg

The missile launchers. Unfortunately, the missile launcher of the AoBR-model didn't quite line up. I'll see if I can fix that. I didn't realise how odd it looked until seeing this picture.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/FT/devs03.jpg

Bolters and a sergeant. In my tactical squad, most of the bolter marines are assaulting or advancing forward. That felt kinda strange for a devastator squad, so I modelled them in more static poses. I also got a chance to use some of the new BA bitz.

For the sergeant, I replaced the giant targetter on his backpack with a more reasonably sized one.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Bulonicus/FT/devsarge.jpg

Detail of the sergeant's shoulder pad and chainsword.

Exactly what Zaroph said, this is how Flesh Tearers should look! The weathering is excellent, the freehands are brilliant, and the colours really suit the fluff.

The bases look really good too, everything is nice and dirty, and matches with these marines' rugged look.

One thing I find interesting, is that the devastators, who would really be behind the other troops, are so torn up. Must mean they really like to get into it. Wonder how the rest of the force looks.... :)

Loving it all, want to see more! Great Work!

In my experience, 10-man Dev squads become target practice for the enemy about half the time, so that may help explain why they look so roughed up. I mean personally, I'd love to try and stop the guys putting 4 Krak missiles into my vehicles a turn, so yeah, it wouldn't be hard to imagine why they'd get a bit scuffed.

Beautiful work. The scheme is rugged and realistic, giving your marines a sense of reality. I really like it. Some great freehand too. Also, the basing is very well executed, adding to the miniatures' theme while not overshadowing it. All around, a great squad of minis.

I don't like the static poses I see on Space Marines occasionally.

Your devastators give me the impression of an extreme and dangerous combat situation, but they are displaying skill.

Oh, and the weathering on the chainsword is a very very good touch, and it seems that you don't overdo it on any one miniature. Very nice, thumbs up

These are fantastic, great work Mortarion I love the gritty feel you've given them and as previously mentioned the basing has added beautifully to these mini's.

Thank you! :)

@KaosRaptor: Due to their limited numbers, Flesh tearer squads are not dedicated to one particular tactical role, but change equipment based on what the mission dictates. So a devastator squad might have served as a tactical squad or even an assault squad in the previous mission. That's why even the devastators are so worn.

@KaosRaptor: Due to their limited numbers, Flesh tearer squads are not dedicated to one particular tactical role, but change equipment based on what the mission dictates. So a devastator squad might have served as a tactical squad or even an assault squad in the previous mission. That's why even the devastators are so worn.

Ohh, that makes sense. I had forgotten about the Flesh Tearers numbers. :) Regardless, they are pretty damn awesome.

Might have to try some of that weathering on my berzerkers...

Looking forward to more!

Archived