Pre-Heresy/Heresy Era Ultramarines 4th (Grand) Company

Hail fellow Battle-Brother, i really like the conversion of the Emperors Champion model, youve used a good selection of bits to make a unique model. one of my favourites though is Sgt. Kallustus, the model comes together really well and i like the details such as the etched brass and the metal sheathed sword. the remaining models from the squad are all of a very high standard and the posing in particular is very good on all of them. seeing some of them with paint shows off these models even better and i do really like the rich blue youve achieved, the highlights in particular look very nice. and lastly the TDA marines, these i have to say are wonderful, good posing and good use of resin parts from MaxMini, these will make a good centre piece to your army no doubt your painting skills will make them incredible models to look at on the gaming table. all in all Capt. Jack superb models! keep up the great work.

peace

Great Termies! ;)

I see you also jumped at the Maxmini shoulder pads :) Here's my personal interpretation of Cataphractii Tactical Dreadnought Armour:

gallery_42816_3520_1276.jpg

My only crit with your termies is the absence of helmets. As is stated multiple times in the Horus Heresy books, it is completely POINTLESS for a marine to go into battle with his head exposed, and his training tells him never to do it (Loken, Tarvitz and other characters make this point). I mean, seriously, when you're wearing armour which can withstand tank shells you don't want the most vulnerable part of your body so exposed some dimwit with an autopistol could kill you.

But that's just my interpretation ;)

• 3 months later...

So it's been a while since I've updated this old dog, so I thought I'd let you guys have a little look at what I've been up to!

I've been very busy with work and my social life, but nonetheless I hope to have these guys finished (converted and made, not painted), by the new year.

So without further ado, I present a WiP Captain Crassus of the 4th Company, probably my favourite mini to date (that I've made, anyhow!);

gallery_29868_5044_2507232.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_667301.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_1768896.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_3542340.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_2923429.jpg

Here is a WiP Sergeant Antilochus;

gallery_29868_5044_1270380.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_668756.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_2839798.jpg

And finally Assault Sergeant Idomeneus.

gallery_29868_5044_728010.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_3112072.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_1666444.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_2966584.jpg

gallery_29868_5044_2625971.jpg

Hope you like these heroes, guys, I have more to add, but when I'm less sleepy! -_-

The Emperor protects, and boycotts Starbucks...

Capt. Jack

Hey, as much as I hate the Ultrasmurfs, I really really like your models and the painting is great. I have to ask though, could you give some tips on how to sculpt a cloak like your Captain has. I've tried a couple of different things and I'm never really happy with the way it turns out, always too thick or funky looking.. I dunno. Thanks in advance ^_^

Hey, as much as I hate the Ultrasmurfs, I really really like your models and the painting is great. I have to ask though, could you give some tips on how to sculpt a cloak like your Captain has. I've tried a couple of different things and I'm never really happy with the way it turns out, always too thick or funky looking.. I dunno. Thanks in advance ;)

Hey 'GooseDaMoose',

Many thanks for your kind words! I think Ultramarines are neglected too much, and this injustice must stop!

As for the cloak, you need alot of patience.

1. To begin with, you cut a long trapezium or rectangle from a rolled out sheet of greenstuff (on water or vaseline) and make sure you've smoothed it out so there are no fingerprints (use a rubber tipped colour shaper)

2. When you've attached the greenstuff to the back of the miniature (or front for a tabbard), tease it into place with wet tweezers and other tools to get a natural(ish) shape. If it's roughly 3mm thick and an equal amount of yellow and blue it should be fine. Now wait. For about a day.

3. When the first piece has totally cured, make up some more GS and roll it into little sausages and smooth them out on the flat piece. Look at pictures and paintings of fabric to see how it looks in real life. Patience really is key here.

4. After you're happy with how you've done the ridges from the sausages, and they're totally cured, make some more GS up, and get all the joins that aren't perfect. By joins I mean where the sausages and original sheet meet. It's very difficult to make those perfect first time!

Hope this helps!

Capt. Jack

Thank you very much Cap'n, I guess I was always too impatient to wait for the GS to cure all the way. This really helps though, thank you again :geek:

P.S I have read the Ultramarines omnibus and I'm still a hater ;) YOU WILL NEVER TURN ME!

Great work on this army so far Capt. Jack, they are looking very characterful. :ermm:

One question if i may, where is the torso from on Sergeant Antilochus? I don't think i have seen that yet. ;)

Thankyou all very much for your kind words. It's feedback like this a thrive off, so please, keep it coming :)

Wow, these new conversions are awesome.

My only thought is (well....not only...) Idomeneus' base is so much cooler than Crassius'...

Great poses all around, I still want to get my hands on the command squad...

Idomeneus' base represents the fact that the assault squads would approach the enemy through more challenging terrain, like a rocky outcrop, and it's worth mentioning that Crassus' base isn't finished yet, I might add some bones, maybe a skull, and some empty bullet casings.

Capt. Jack

Loving the work, got a few questions though.

First up how hard was it to use the etched brass on the legs? I've had issues with shoulder pads, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Secondly, can I bum your blue recipe? I might have missed it earlier, but didn't see it posted.

Finally I was wondering on your latest stuff where the jump pack and power fist came from.

As for you doing Ultramarines... well someone has to. Not a huge fan of them for the poster boy/mary sue reasoning but at the same time if they were not, another chapter would be. And somehow I keep finding myself drifting back to blue...

Loving the work, got a few questions though.

First up how hard was it to use the etched brass on the legs? I've had issues with shoulder pads, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Secondly, can I bum your blue recipe? I might have missed it earlier, but didn't see it posted.

Finally I was wondering on your latest stuff where the jump pack and power fist came from.

As for you doing Ultramarines... well someone has to. Not a huge fan of them for the poster boy/mary sue reasoning but at the same time if they were not, another chapter would be. And somehow I keep finding myself drifting back to blue...

With regard to the brass etch, as the shin is only a change in angle vertically, bending the brass etch isn't a problem, however, as a shoulder pad changes angle both vertically and horizontally, it's destined to fail. I'd stick to freehand on the shouldpad buddy!

Here is the blue recipe for you;

1. 1:3 Chaos Black:Necron Abyss, for the recesses. For simplicities sake I'll name this shade Ultra #1

2. 3:1 Ultra #1:Ultramarine Blue

3. 1:1 Ultra #1:Ultramarine Blue

4. 1:3 Ultra #1:Ultramarine Blue

5. Ultramarine Blue, for the last highlight

And finally, the powerfist was from a MK2 veteran mini, and the jump pack is from "Chapterhouse studios".

Hope this helps,

Capt. Jack

Alright thanks!

Looks like my one that did go together well was just a fluke after all.

So next round of questioning... are you doing the normal troopers at this time too and just not putting them on display, or are they yet to come?

Alright thanks!

Looks like my one that did go together well was just a fluke after all.

So next round of questioning... are you doing the normal troopers at this time too and just not putting them on display, or are they yet to come?

Well, I have 3 squads of 10 marines I need to make, and so far I've done about a dozen. I've done my sternguard, my marines and I'm working on my terminators atm. Though, as I work my arse off, and see friends frequently, I find it hard to fit the modelling in sometimes!

Rest assured I'll upload pics of what's missing in due course!

Capt. Jack

Hi there

your models look really awsome. One question how did you make the helmet crest?

Ed

Well, this is the second time I've tried it, and it's worked rather well I think! I cut a slot down the length of the helm with a hacksaw, then cut out a piece of plasticard to place into it to act as a 'skeleton' of sorts. Then I layered up working with Green Stuff and a bunch of tools. The effect at the top was achieved with a needle and on the sides and front with a sharp scalpel.

Hope this helps

Capt. Jack

Despite the whole "poster boy" outlook people have on the ultramarines, i've always had a soft spot for them, i will say 2 things 1. you painting is just as impressive as your sculpting so theres no foul there, 2. Brother Celsus and similar Brethren their helmets (upon inspection of the horus heresy art books) faceplate should be yellow not blue. As cool as the blue looks i think they would be more authentic and tying with the heresy look of the Ultra's, beyond that good work keep it up and i hope to see more in the future.

Archived