Rogan's Ultramarines

Rogan

• 3 weeks later...

Sooooo... Took me quite a well to come up with something new - something which has never been done before ([/irony]).

I made a quick sketch of an Ultramarines apothecary in terminator armour. Someone in Germany's favourite 40k forum inspired me to do that:

Here's the sketch:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2676/mikers0001.jpg

Followed closely by some explanations.

I thought about converting the chainfist, adding the medical equimpment stuff as sort of an implement - a glove on a glove, that is. Power armoured apothecaries do use something similar, if my eyes did not betray me. The storm bolter gets a slightly converted plasma pistol attached to it, representing something like a plasma cutter. To crack open really strong armour, that is. The head should have some extra light and a bionic eye, as its magification capabilites will allow for more precise cuts.

A terminator armour just needs a lot of sensors, so I won't simply replace them with the floodlight from the apothecary's backpack, but in fact, add one of those. Above these tools I intend to place a servo arm with another sharp blade and drug injector - the apothecary might need to work on two heavy wounds at the same time.

At the back of the armour, there will be a drug dispenser, directly linked to the armour and perhaps even the injectors. A small but nice detail would be a heart-shaped gem in the middle of the aquila. Of course, as one of the chapter's heroes, he needs some personal insignia. I decided to put the prime helix

on his right greave, as the chapter symbol has to be on the right shoulder guard - and we don't want to anger the armour's war spirit, do we?Of course the terminator honours are too important a sign to remove either.

I just wonder how I could use him in a game - maybe as a "counts as" captain oder chaplain? A well-converted model would be a shame to remove in the first turn it shows up. What do you guys think? Please let me know!

I've build a Terminator Apothecary for an old army, it was a simple kit bash, but they look great (I might have a pic somewhere, I'll have to give it a look). have you considered giving him one of those Knight style shoulder guard shield thingies with the Apothecary logo on? anyway, they look great so far, same goes to your sketch of your apothecary. Keep up the good work.

Luther

I've build a Terminator Apothecary for an old army, it was a simple kit bash, but they look great (I might have a pic somewhere, I'll have to give it a look). have you considered giving him one of those Knight style shoulder guard shield thingies with the Apothecary logo on? anyway, they look great so far, same goes to your sketch of your apothecary. Keep up the good work.

Luther

I'd love to see more apothecary terminators. Although they're no longer possible ruleswise, these are a chance to further individualize an army, giving them so much more life...

And to be honest, I didn't consider such a shield yet. It seems to be quite a good idea, although, on the other hand, it might block some of the terminator's sensors or lights... I'llgive it a try anyway. And this time I shall do my best to remove those mould lines.

Rate me an 8 ^^

• 2 weeks later...

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8834/ultramarinescombatsquad.jpg

And heeeeere I present you my latest painting results. A few guys I don't like at all (missile launcher and scope weilder) and two of my favourite Marines so far (Mk 8 chest plate and melta gunner). Hope you like 'em - I am currently working on my landspeeder.

Those are very nice looking Ultrasmurfs...I mean Ultramarines mate, very clean paintjob and nicely highlighted, keep the good stuff coming.

As for a Terminator Apothecary, you can still use them if you are a Dark Angels player and I have modelled one for my army. if you want to check it out and steal a few ideas look in the DA forum for Tomevans' Dark Angels, there are a few pics of him up on page 1. Feel free to steal my best bits :teehee:

i made a terminator apothicary, will have to take a pic and post it (no work tomorrow, so should get it done then)

used the chainfist, but reasoned that he'd need extra punch to get through terminator armour, so swapped the 'chain' element for a plasma pistol muzzle

@ Brother Martemis: Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to seeing another source of inspiration, like

Tomevans: that's a fine battle force you got there. I especially like the BR squad. My terminator apothecary is supposed to look quite similar to yours, although I am not sure about the head. What good is terminator armour if an enemy can throw a grenade inside? ;-)

I'm not sure yet, but I think mine will have a slightly converted helmet.

I figure using brother Scipio of the Blood Angels as a base, but haven't decided yet. That's why I began working on a Landspeeder and a second tactical squad.

Terminators have an invulnerable save so I thought that might cover up the robed head. The robed head looks really cool in a DA army too. I think you are right to skip the robes on your model though, I don't think Ultramarines are big on the Warrior monk thing.

As for the N/R, I fixed it onto a regular power fist. I tried to fit it on a chain fist but it didn't look quite right, as if it was bolted on rather as an integral part of the armour. If you put it onto a power fist you can file the fist down so the N/R fits snugly up to the power cable so it looks as if the Terminator's power plant is powering it rather than it just being glued on as an afterthought. Still, the Chainfist is a good option too if you fancy it, the blades would be useful for cutting through Terminator armour, just make sure your Apothecary doesn't cut too far :)

Thanks for the praise for my models too Rogan, yours are pretty awesome as well.

You are welcome, battle brother!

Robed bodies and helmets do fit Dark Angels, that's for sure. Still I think it may look a little odd on Terminators when not properly filed down to fit in. It is, as far as I can see, quite likely that the head is too far outside of the armour; i.e. the Marine's neck is in the danger of being snapped ^^

Btw., I think those invulnerability saves TDAs provide are the remains of the second edition 3+ on 2D6 armour saves...

Gosh, I want armour saves like those for the next edition!

• 1 month later...

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/858/firstpartofthethird.jpg

That's the promised shot of the new members of my army.

Still haven't decided what to do about the bases - but I've got an idea.

As I like armies with fluff of their own, thus so far I've made up this:

A small strike force of space marines is bound in a campaign on a distant world, having to purge it from aliens and heretics. Included are the second company's second and third tactical squads, a full devastator and a full assault squad. Aside from that, a number of scouts are supposed to learn the art of warfare, and a handful of terminators if need be.

The Captain is accompanied by his trusted staff, apothecary Saturninus as well as his retinue, Librarian Volcanus and Chaplain Paledorius Gordian.

The second tactical squad, nicknamed "Forge of Heroes" is led by Sergeant Antarius, weilding a power fist. He has earned his Victorex Alpha during the Zymran-Crusade, where he fought side by side with Brother Captain Kruger, who fell shortly thereafter and was interred into a dreadnought.

The third tactical squad, also known as "The Saints of Sebastin VI", is led by ancient Veterean Sergeant Gratus. During a battle with Eldar raiders, he faced a Wraithlord and tore him apart. In its final spasms, the alien machine crushed his legs and almost killed him, but stubborn as he was, he refused to die and worked himself free. The defenders of Sebastin VI were so impressed with the squad's performance in battle that they gifted them with a master-crafted heavy Bolter.

I took the liberty of including (or at least I am building it atm) a dreadnought with the hero of the classic computer game "Chaos Gate". There is hardly any information to be found on Captain Kruger, so I decided to expand what little I know about him. If you take a closer look, you might see that the members of the third squad wear a lot more parchment than those of the second. I wanted to have squads with a little more character, and that's why each and every marine in this force shall have a name. I'll write it on their bases as soon as I'm sure which kind of ground they'll be standing on.

That's it for now. In a few minutes, I'll add a shot or two of the more or less completed second squad.

Aye, that's an interesting take.

Yet I must object. It may sound bitchy, however this thread is about the Ultramarines strike force I am currently building. This thread is supposed to inspire others and to receive feedback about my skills as a painter.

I am of course interested in what you have done, but I would rather have it posted as a link instead of a page-filling image. ;-)

And besides - please don't use power armour helmets on TDAs (and vice versa!), that's a bit off. ^^

Fixed. Now you have links instead of pictures. I thought that everybody hates clicking on links :lol:

And the helmet - you must admit that an apothecary needs a distinguished look. This techmarine helmet has lots of sensors, which fits the mini perfectly in my opinion. And it certainly looks lees off than a bare head - who would want to wear a battlecruiser-thick armor and not wear some protection for the head? :P

As for your painting skills, they are ok. The minis look nice and they certainly will look good on any table. The mold lines are killing the effect, though. But somebody mentioned that earlier.

Thanks for editing. Actually, I dislike being such a whiner, but sometimes a man must do what he must. *g*

Personally, I don't like it. Terminators should wear terminator helmets or none at all - terminator helmets on powered armour do look off as well.

But in the end, it's a matter of taste and I don't want to anger you because of your personal preferences. Some people hate Ultramarines, I've heard ^^

Thanks a lot.

I've been working on the mould lines problem recently, and I think I have made some progress. Not sure, though.

So here's a shot of the first (second) tactical squad.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3847/tacticalsquadiicomplete.jpg

I'm not sure yet, but I think I might want some snow-and-grass bases, perhaps with a little mud and/or water.

Somewhat dirty, that is.

The only problem that comes up with such a decision is that it'd require some minor weathering at least.

What do you guys think?

/e: if you'd like to vote for these, here's the link. Please don't kill my score ^^

Thank you!

Coming up next is a second tactical squad, followed by a captain and a dreadnought - the latter will be my entry to a more or less local painting contest, so it'll take a little more time than most of the squad ^^

very nice ultramarines. I like that you went with yellow over gold for the company color. I also like that you're adding bits from different armor types (the marines w/ a mk4 helmet is my favorite) and poses. I may be on crack, from what i can see they could use some additional shading in the recesses of their armor to add some contrast and 'pop'

but...

Yet I must object. It may sound bitchy, however this thread is about the Ultramarines strike force I am currently building. This thread is supposed to inspire others and to receive feedback about my skills as a painter.

:) this made me not want to comment and give you feedback about your skills as a painter.

very nice ultramarines. I like that you went with yellow over gold for the company color. I also like that you're adding bits from different armor types (the marines w/ a mk4 helmet is my favorite) and poses. I may be on crack, from what i can see they could use some additional shading in the recesses of their armor to add some contrast and 'pop'

but...

:o this made me not want to comment and give you feedback about your skills as a painter.

Why, I knew this was a mistake. I'd like to apologize for being an @$$. On the other hand, "flooding" ones thread with other people's pix - although they'd just want to help - just doesn't seem right to me. It's a thing I for one would not do... But I figure I'm a strange person after all ^^

Anyway, you're right about the recesses. They COULD use some extra darkness - but as this is an already completed squad, I won't do anything about them... Maybe change the sarge once in a while - he's sort of boring, you know ^^

Hope you'll check out the advance I intend to make with the next squad(s).

• 1 month later...

Ha! It's time for an update!

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9859/ultramarinescaptain.jpg

Here's another mini of mine, this time, it's a Captain of the Ultramarines. Fluff so far is nonexistant, but I can tell he'll become the leader of my strike force. I've converted him from a Master of the Chapter, used a head from a terminator squad (the shooty one) and used a metal storm shield from the old terminator range. Converted that, too, because a shield without a handle is pretty much useless.

Hope you like 'em, C&C appreciated.

Btw, my girlfriend made fun of me and him. Fun of me because I hadn't been able to come up with a name yet, and fun of him... well... let's say she just gave him the less fortunate name of "Captain Hodenkinn". Which would translate into "testicle chin". I hate her for that, I really do.

Aye, it's exactly the text from CMON, but here's a small addition:

Finally decided which bases to use! Forest leaves. Made from dyed marjoram!

And if you'd like to vote, just click on the pic!

Archived