Rogan's Ultramarines

Rogan

@ mega_marines:

Thanks a lot ^^

Does that make Severus 10 or 12 kinds of win? Or rather a simple win, because it's an Ultramarine? ^^

@ MagicMan:

Thank you very much.

They are part of FW's fantastic Mk III Iron armour set. :-)

That was about the easiest part.

First, I painted the face and head in the usual way (basecoat of Dark Flesh, followed by yet another coat of Dark Flesh/Dwarf Flesh. A first, "shy" highlight of Dwarf Flesh, followed by Dwarf Flesh/Elf Flesh. Finally a last highlight of pure Elf Flesh). The next step would be to paint the stubbles - leave the forehead alone ^^ - with 50/50 Codex Grey/Dwarf Flesh. The next layer would be to stiple the same mixture, but with an additonal part of Fortress Grey all over the hair you just painted.

Hope that helped. :-)

Well... vanilla devastators have a hairy head, too.

The 'Eavy Metal team themselves painted the sarge a bearded chin...

But you're right, marines seem to have a problem with non-bald people. That's why I'll soon post a blonde sergeant. ^^

Loving the forgeweorld legs on the devastator,they look excellent as does the painting.

Was getting kind've bored of all the bald marines in my force

I had the same feeling so i've painted my bald headed marines with stubble and quite a few of my marines and scouts have 5 o'clock shadows;i think it adds extra depth to the models face which is always a focal point.

Nice work again Rogan,keep it up!

Cheers,

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

@ chaplainmikey: thanks once more!

Those FW parts are real beauties - I wish I had more money to buy... well... more of them ^^

You're definitely right about the bald marines issue. Sure, everyone's hair will be messed up as soon as they take on a helmet, but... that's no reason for not having a pretty haircut.

Jokes aside, I think marines are supposed to be individual heroes, even though they sure have to work as one, and therefore, if everybody looks the same, it's just sort of counterproductive.

• 1 month later...

@ Goose and Natanael:

Aye, red bolter casings ftw!

Those black things they paint nowadays take so much of the army's character - which is a shame because marines are supposed to be individual guys...

Speaking of individuals:

Here's the latest addition to my army, Brother Sergeant Carinus from my first terminator squad.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6058/termisarge.jpg

@ Astrum Vinco:

Thanks! But sadly, these are not completely my work. That's a detailed piece from the Space Hulk set.

@ Battle-Brother Ludovic:

Thanks lots and lots :-)

I'm not sure whether you're mistaken orpartly right - I didn't change my recipe as far as I know, but perhaps this is due to the TDA having more recesses, which automatically makes it appear darker. You could compare it to the following guys; if they're darker as well, it's just because of the armour.

But watch out, the picture quality is rather... minor.

@ Magic Man:

Thank you! Great to hear such feedback. I'd love to say "vielen lieben Dank", but most people don't understand German - although, in this case, it might be worth it. ^^

I've already been afraid everybody had lost their interest in my works since I've had a rather fruitless discussion a few months ago, but seemingly, some people still care.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/110401/tsa2nzll.jpg

Here's another couple of terminators, painted up before the Sergeant. Didn't want to post 'em here because of said reasons (plus the poor quality of the pictures), but now that I know I've got a loyal watcher - here they are.

Finally! Someone else made some Ultramarines in the traditional colors. I really like it when people use the yellow trim and red bolters instead of the new gold and black scheme. Well done, man. Well done.

I painted up my Ultramarines in the same color scheme. If you wanna see mine, there's a link to my blog in my signature. I'm not going to be a jerk and post my own models in someone else's thread, though.

But yeah, I really really like them. It's a good scheme. And you did your yellow a lot better than I did. If I wasn't so far into my army, I'd be using your yellow scheme. You also paint flesh really well. I'm quite impressed.

@ The 40k Hobbiest:

Thank you!

I took a look at your guys; the first thing that struck me is your unique way of highlighting. My girlfriend painted up some (naked) ladies a while ago and she uses a similar technique for the skin - it looks somewhat strange on armour on first sight, but the longer one looks at it, the better it looks. I do like the comic look they have! 2-dimensional in a very great way.

And thanks for not posting them; I like your way of thinking ^^

By the way; I think you must be mistaken. I switched from the classic look to a mix between the two eras; instead of red casings and yellow trim, my guys have golden trim and red casings. Sorry to disappoint you :-(

@ verpine:

Thanks for the comment! :-)

You might be right there; it seems that I am not very patient as soon as it comes to painting metal, thus I'm getting lazy and paint less careful.

Might need to clean that spot up...

Good to hear that, so I know that I mustn't curse you in German - because you'd know what I said :-D

There'öö be plenty to come. So far, I've planned to do a Dreadnought, an assault squad and a command squad. After that, I'l take a break from my Ultramarines and either work on some Night Lords/Alpha Legion (not decided yet) or on my Imperial Guard.

I'l let you guys know when it's time. ;-)

@ Dejay:

Thanks a lot!

The red casings just have so much more character than the black ones; I desperately wanted that feeling for my bunch of heroes. About the hair... yeah, I'm quite pleased with that as well, especially as there aren't too many blonde space marines around.

If I'm not mistaken, this was even a promise I gave to one of the users here...

Good to hear that, so I know that I mustn't curse you in German - because you'd know what I said :-D

There'öö be plenty to come. So far, I've planned to do a Dreadnought, an assault squad and a command squad. After that, I'l take a break from my Ultramarines and either work on some Night Lords/Alpha Legion (not decided yet) or on my Imperial Guard.

I'l let you guys know when it's time. ;-)

Looking forward to the reinforcements! And for my German level, it's not very high, but I can understand it quite well, so beware :tu:

Ludovic

@ Ludovic:

I will, don't worry. ^^

Don't expect too much from my guys, though, because the higher your expectations are, the less impressed you might be.

@ Dwarfkernow:

Thanks for calling 'em a "well painted army" - I wanted a quick yet well working recipe, that's all.

A well painted army would certainly look better and take much more time ^^

@ Mr.Malevolent:

Damn you for such a heretic thought!

Do not strip your Sallies, the Emperor needs those, too!

You could incorporate something like a DW squad, led by an Ultramarine hero - that'd more than make up for the sin of having chosen the wrong army after all. :tu:

Jokes aside, thank you for your kind words. :)

• 4 weeks later...

looking good for a jumpsmurf :P

beautiful paintjob! i especially love the scripture on his pauldron and jumppack ;)

two points of criticism though:

1) not sure about his pose. with the helmet in his hand he looks more like he's taking a stroll in the park, instead of jumping on the emperors enemies and i think he's "standing" to straight on his pin.

2) there's a nasty mold line running along his bolt pistol

Archived