Rogan's Ultramarines

Rogan

@ Brother Duncs:

I knew from the very moment I saw them I needed to give one of them a beard. Ultramarines just have to have a grampa-style-commander B)

Thanks a lot!

@ Zhoolda:

Thank you :(

But to be honest, I for one am not too happy with the gold (at least the chest plate's), just because the highlights seem way to harsh to me - but nonetheless, thanks a lot ;)

You, Rogan, are both a gentleman and a very talented painter. I find your work fantastic to look at, and I will be painting my Ultramarines in the way you have described in your tutorial. I will ask for some tips, or a full tutorial if you have the time, on how you paint your Ultramarine symbol. I think it is the best I have seen, and I wish to emulate it on my own Ultramarines.

Again, fantastic work. keep it up. I will be watching you.

-Tarvik

• 2 months later...

Okay, guys - took a loooong break from painting, as it seems. Had to do an internship (is that the right term?) in a school - had a lot of fun, but hardly any time for painting.

Well, here's the new stuff, starting with two devastators:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2599/devastoren900px.jpg

This is Brother Titus. Have an educated guess where his pose and name came from ;)

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5698/devastor2.jpg

And I also found my oldest painted miniatures - painted some before that, but unfortunately, I sold them looong ago.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9312/dscf2778v.jpg

*sniff*

They're ancient!

/e:

@ blackbabyjesus:

Sure, why not? They're devastators in a vehicle, after all ^^

@ Tarvik: Feel free to ask, and thanks a lot! :rolleyes:

@ Blackbabyjesus: Thanks again and again - you and Magicman are my most loyal fans here on BnC, and I can't remember having commented any of your works oO

Gotta change that right now!

@ Schultzhoffen:

Thanks a lot - it took me nine years to get where I am.

Actually, that's a lie. I started becoming a better and better painted after I met my girlfriend - she has such a deep understanding of colours and highlights it's a shame I couldn't ask her for advice before oO

@ Dark Apostle Thirst:

Thanks a lot! You know the feeling when you got an idea and want to make it come true? That's exactly what happened here. :)

@ Tarvik:

Merci ;)

Most of it was really fun to do, so it's not exactly "work" in the first place xD

@ Battle-Brother Ludovic:

Still sticking to the old ones. I'm a little stubborn when it comes to major change in my habits, I'm afraid - and since these guys are mostly responsible for my overall painting quality today, I couldn't help but stock up on what's left of the colours I use on eBay ^^

Btw, I'm sure my Ultramarines like you too :)

Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...

@ Dorns_fist:

Thanks a lot! You know, I want my armies to look good, that's why I spend such an awful lot of time on each miniature... Sometimes, it's frustrating.

Speaking of frustration, here's some ugly-faced HQ choice :)

I finally got myself to painting this miniature; it lay around for ages.

The picture you see here is the smaller one; for the bigger one just click the link below it. I just thought posting a pic that's 900 px wide isn't nice to most internet connections...

And lest I forget - here's the Latin text on the parchment and also an attempt at translating it into English:

"Imperator Pater Dominusque noster

In nomine tuo semper pugnabimus

cum legionibus proditoribus"

-> "Emperor, our father and lord,

in your name we will always fight

the traitor legions".

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8989/ordenspriester600px.jpg

bigger version

@ Mr. Malevolent:

Thanks a lot! Writing on the scroll sometimes was a real pain, but it paid off :D

No progress so far. But I'm thinking of painting some every two weeks or so - and maybe I will, as soon as I have a full army of 1,5k points.

Concerning the tutorial: I did a tutorial a while back, but I'm afraid I never posted it here - also, the pictures were kinda lousy.

This I vow:

After completing the next five miniatures (two devastators, two terminators, one Jeremiah Kraye), I'll take care of a Deathwatch White Scar. -> tutorial for painting black ;)

@ Subtle Discord:

Yeah, I know that problem. There is hardly enough time to check out all the goodness in this section :)

Thanks, man!

@ Brother Syth:

Thanks! It's not that hard to do, after all. Just paint a scroll the usual way and mix Chaos Black/Scorched Brown 50/50, use a really, really tiny brush and write away. ;)

You're welcome, Brother!

Okay, here's the next update for today...

First, the remaining members of the devastator squad (the ones I haven't posted yet).

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5928/devastatorsquad.jpg

And here's the next terminator assault squad... terminator xD

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6586/thterminator.jpg

Not too happy with said terminator, though. Oo

Your blue and other colors look so good but your white is very flat, not enough contrast to me. I can see some gray in there but I think a good wash of the white would make it work better. Also the gold on the Chappy looks the same way. If you can bring the level of depth you have on your blue to the white and gold you do then they will look even better.

Other than that I love your Ultras and all the small text/details you put on them. Keep it up!

I really like how your doing your Ultramarines. The colors are just right, just the right amount of detail as well. Also fantastic chaplain. Love that model and glad to see it done so well. (I don't think I did it justice but you pull it off fantastically)

By the Throne I love your Ultramarines. I really like the way you've painted the blue. Nice, crisp and clean. The way it should be. Keep up the good work. Also, I love the red bolters. I am hoping they make a return some day.

-Tarvik

@ Andrew J:

Thanks for the criticism - I agree with the white part. Painting white isn't really easy and so I failed. But I'm working on it :)

The gold, however, looks a bit off because of the camera's flash. "In person", it actually looks quite great, if I may say that.

@ Lysere:

Thanks! The model looks great, yeah, but painting it was hell! All the tiny details - I just don't know how to paint my Honour Guard.

@ The_Chaplain:

Thank you - no washes at all. Have a look at my tutorial. The colours I used for the skull are the same I used for the parchment.

@ Tarvik:

Emperor guide you fire :)

Seeing red bolters again would be awesome - on the other hand, though, I like the black ones, too. Simply because adding yellow stripes to those is awesome². :D

Archived