International Brotherhood of Hobbyists

++ please note this thread is not endorsed by the Bolter and Chainsword in any way, but the content is supported by it ++

Welcome to the beginning of what has been loosely termed 'the International Brotherhood of Hobbyists'. Basically Mikhail has a vision of a band of like minded individuals who trade ideas and mini's, paint stuff for ourselves and each other and generally help each other get the most out of this glorious hobby. This thread and it's twin in the Hall of Honour will be one of the ways we share what we're up to with each other and the rest of our bretheren. Anyone is welcome to post in this thread, not just members of the brotherhood so please feel free to join us....

OK guys, the wait is over... Here is the 'charter' of our brotherhood:

:D

The International Brotherhood of Hobbyists is a group of like minded individuals who have banded together to allow each other to get more from their hobby experiences. Our threads on this forum are a place to share ideas, concepts, photos and miniatures* etc.

We encourage open and honest discussion within the brotherhood and ask that all members use our threads as much as possible except that where doing so would contravene the rules of the B&C*

There are no requirements for membership for the International Brotherhood of Hobbyists except the desire to help others and yourself to get more out of this hobby. If you would like to join, please contact either Mikhail or Pig of Sparta through either of the threads we use in the Work in Progress or Hall of Honour threads or if you'd prefer using a PM.

Upon acceptance you will be awarded with an image of the Seal of the International Brotherhood of Hobbyists to display within your sig if you so desire (seal still to be designed)

*The rules of the B&C prevent us from trading bits/parts/unpainted mini's/etc. While we encourage our members to share resources such as those listed above we ask that this sharing be done either through private email or through a site such as BarterTown. (We love the B&C and want to be able to stay!)

It has recieved approval from Kurgan the Lurker so we should be fine as long as we abide by forum rules :)

:D

Current Members (in no particular order): Mikhail, Replica, Pig of Sparta, Dan the Deamon, Lestat, Khornate Killer, Nephren-ka, Shaun Carlin, Madwolf Shadowmane, Skirax, Brother 'Ussell, Cain Tiberius Kondrad, Merkava, Vlad III, Brother Rathul, whackozacko, Master Chaplain Astador, cheesychaoslord, Natanael, Shortsonfire79, Wing-z, The Normish, Son of Moriar, Rider-75, Gubnutz Da Grim, kalicurealm, tarkus, S. Bloodhowl, Brother Anthony, Battle-Brother Ludovic, Deorai, recon0321, 1000heathens, Captain Mick, GooseDaMoose, Chapter Master Ignis Domus, the jimster, High Marshal Sigfeird, Firenze, rindaris, dark apostle thirst, Terminatorinhell, noctus cornix, Rune Priest, Slyen, Innus Bade 9, Wolffan, furioso-prime and chapter master Benji.

I was recently invited to participate in bringing this vision to fruition so to kick things off I decided to paint up a pre-heresy Dark Angel veteran sergeant for him. I don't want to reveal too much of what Mikhail's doing with his army as that's up to him but this mini represents a Knight of The Order who was too old to partake in the implantation of the Lion's geneseed, and so has been genhanced in the same way that Luther was. He is not true Astartes, yet niether is he wholly human. Enough of my waffling here's some photo's of what I've been up to:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DAVS1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DAVS2.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DAVS3.jpg

I realise that some may say 'why is he wearing mk viii armour if he's a heresy era marine?' and the only answer I have to give is this: he is wearing armour that is fashioned in the style of the powered armour utilised by the Knights of the Order prior to the coming of the Emperor. (or to tell the truth I didn't have any other torsos to use....)

enough from me though, others will be along shortly :)

James

Thanks Replica. He's going to be bareheaded. I've got his head undercoated but I've kept it separate so I don't make a mess of the bevor. The next set of photos I should have some work done on his head so I'll try and remember to put it in place :D

cheers

James

The marine looks fantastic so far. I'm going to have to try and match that black when I start painting again. I am thrilled that you started this thread. I am also not surprised that Replica and Dan the Demon have responded in it already. It shows promise that some high profile hobbyists are interested in what we are trying to do.

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their interest in both this idea and this thread,

@ Dan the Deamon: You're more than welcome to join. If you haven't already, PM Mikhail or once you've got a plan, post up what you're thinking in this thread.

@ mikhail: thanks mate. The black is actually a pretty easy recipe to achieve great results with. I've shamelessly plundered it from Aerexis (credit where it's due). Hopefully you'll like the updated photos below...

@ manwithmachete: That is kinda one of the goals of this idea. What we're trying to build is a group of like minded people who trade ideas, tips and mini's with each other. So certainly you could come in looking to swap mini's around like that. But we want it to be bigger than that as well, basically we just want to get the most out of our hobby and we want others to get the most out of it too, if there's something you're needing whether it's advice, bits, mini's, brushwork or pretty much anything, we (that is everyone in the brotherhood no one is anymore senior that anyone else) will try and help with it.

@ KhornateKiller: There're no qualifications needed for membership. Right now pretty much the only thing we've doing is helping each other out. One of the things that mikhail and High Marshall Sigfeird have discussed is painting a mini for each other to 'seal the bond of brotherhood' as it were. That's not to say that you'd have to paint a mini for every member (not that there's anything to stop you doing that if you want to!), but I'm sure there'd be something you could do for us and we could do for you.

@ Rider-75: hopefully some of what I've discussed above has illuminated our vision a little more. The idea is still in it's infancy but from the response we've had so far, it looks like it's got legs. If you have any questions I haven't answered, you can either post them up in this thread or PM myself or mikhail. I'm usually on here most nights of the week at some point so I'll do my best to answer them as soon as possible.

Finally just a couple of photos to showing my progress on the pre-heresy DA sergeant:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DAVS4.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DAVS5.jpg

The two winged swords aren't final yet, I just wanted to see how it looked. I'm thinking of replacing the one on his right shoulder with a skull and his squad number.

thanks

James

He looks fantastic and inspiring. I would change out the left icon for a skull and squad number as the pre-heresey legion icon usually goes on the right. At least I think it does.

Everything else you have stated about the Brotherhood is dead on.

I really like the model and the concept of what you guys are trying to do.

Just is it me, or maybe it's just the photo but he looks green. Isn't he supposed to be dressed in black?

Thanks Mikhail I'm working a late shift tonight, but once I get in I'll have a look at his shoulder pad again. I've got a couple of ideas though :P

@ Slyen: Cheers mate. There is possibly a slight greenish tinge to his armour due to the method I've used for highlighting the black which invloves Hawk Turquoise. On the other hand it could be down to the energy saving lightbulbs that my landlord fits in all their houses as standard...

James

I've implemented something similar to this at my local club; whoever loses in a game may (and is not wholly obliged to, though it's similar to oath breaking) build a model for another person to represent the opponent's prowess.

So, could we post miniatures in this thread?

I've implemented something similar to this at my local club; whoever loses in a game may (and is not wholly obliged to, though it's similar to oath breaking) build a model for another person to represent the opponent's prowess.

So, could we post miniatures in this thread?

Thats a cool idea, this would make people put together a model of an army other than their own and make them think and use skills they might not otherwise use

Thats a cool idea, this would make people put together a model of an army other than their own and make them think and use skills they might not otherwise use

Thanks, but some people get past the rule by making specailised bases or illegal models :P ah well, it's all in good sport :D

As for elongating marine legs, I like to cut them in half about halfway down, then stick about a 1cm long piece of frame in the space to make them longer. Then fill out the space with Green Stuff. I can show you a picture of the outcome if you want?

First off I need to clarify something before we go any further. I recieved a PM from Kurgan the Lurker today informing me that we cannot (my emphasis) trade bits/parts/unpainted mini's/etc through the forum. Any trades of such nature must (again my emphasis) be done through private email or through sites like Bartertown. Trading painted mini's through the forum is fine but anything else is a no no.

Right now that's cleared up:

@ Dan the Deamon: Welcome to the brotherhood. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got cooking.

@ KhornateKiller: Something like that. Bearing in mind what I've said above though. Stay tuned to this thread, we're currently working on a charter for the brotherhood that will set out what we're trying to achieve, along with the exactly how things will work within the rules of this forum.

@ Skirax: That does indeed sound like a great idea. You can post photos in this thread as well as the thread we'll be starting in the Hall of Honour as well.

@ Replica: That's one of the central parts of what we want to achieve. We want everyone to get more out of this hobby. Personally I love tinkering with mini's. I often blag something off my brother just so I can sit and clean up the components then sit and pose them with copious amounts of blu-tac for hours on end. Sometimes I never get around to painting the mini's but that's another thing that this brotherhood could help with. Sometimes I come up with fantastic ideas (in my mind anyway) for stuff that I can't develop, but someone else could, or as I said, I put together a mini but don't know what colour(s) to paint it... but I'm sure that someone out there could find something to do with it.

hopefully I've covered everything there, although if I haven't please feel free to post in this thread or shoot me a PM.

Finally I have an updated shot of the Dark Angel I've been working on. I was on the late shift tonight so all I've done is change the markings on his left shoulder pad but I think it's a definate improvement:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DAVS6.jpg

Just need to finish of the gold areas and sor out his base and he's just about done :D

thanks

James

@ Replica: Thanks mate. I've actually go a heap of RBT01 stuff sitting in a box upstairs. If you PM me your email address I can let you know exactly what I've got :P

thanks

James

++reason for edit: charter moved to first post++

The most immediate issue Nephren-ka is for us to design our seal. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Other than that I'd like to welcome you to the International Brotherhood of Hobbyists. Please have a look around and make yourself comfortable :).

I think what you've said about linking to each other's blogs. Anything which enables us to share more hobby info is a good thing.

We're still fleshing out exactly how this is going to work just now, but once again I'd like to welcome you to our fraternity :)

James

Archived