International Brotherhood of Hobbyists

Liking where things are going. This might give me an excuse to paint and use some of those ravenwing parts i got with the bikes! And a chance to paint something other than UM blue!

So who does DA?

Huzzah! I'm part of a community group now! :confused:

Now let me make my first order of business to ask.....Does anyone have any easy ways to paint eye-lenses? My BAs have white eyes currently and I rather wish they didn't. And could I possibly do it with just DA green? And adding like Bleached bone or white to it for the next step up? or would I be better off buying a brighter green too?

Also if I post some of my GKs could I get some critiques and suggestions?

My first 40k adventure began with a friend's copy of the boxed game. I still mistakenly refer to books sometimes as the 'Codex Imperialis'. At one point I had a copy of Dark Millenium as well. Thank god they streamlined the psychic phase in later editions and got rid of wargear cards and datafaxes. I have fond memories of them, but gaming tables and frequently the floor around them were so messy. I seem to recall battles taking whole days to fight about four turns as well.

I actually have a copy of the Rogue Trader rulebook, but I'd really like to get a hold of the second edition rule book and wargear book. Some of the background in those books still fits today, and was generally a lot more detailed than we have now.

My first experience was opening day of my local GW when i was still in highschool. I was walking past and saw this new store, walked in and got an introductory game of 2nd Ed 40k, then i was hooked. I was working there during the release of 3rd Ed and then dropped out of the hobby for 4th. By the time i returned it was 5th Ed and wow....from 3rd to 5th was a MASSIVE leap!

I still have a copy of the 2nd Ed wargear book, and the Angels of Death codex, wich is such a good book for fluff!

My first 40k adventure began with a friend's copy of the boxed game. I still mistakenly refer to books sometimes as the 'Codex Imperialis'. At one point I had a copy of Dark Millenium as well. Thank god they streamlined the psychic phase in later editions and got rid of wargear cards and datafaxes. I have fond memories of them, but gaming tables and frequently the floor around them were so messy. I seem to recall battles taking whole days to fight about four turns as well.

I actually have a copy of the Rogue Trader rulebook, but I'd really like to get a hold of the second edition rule book and wargear book. Some of the background in those books still fits today, and was generally a lot more detailed than we have now.

I still have all the books going back to 2nd edition. Even got the cardboard Ork dreadnought somewhere too! I still re-read those books every once in a while just for pure fluff reasons. Maybe the background wasn't as in depth as it is today, but it still holds a lot of relevence to todays game.

I'm on the lookout for a copy of Rogue Trader for historical and fluff reasons. I'll keep on searching on places like ebay and car boot sales for that one.

My first experience was opening day of my local GW when i was still in highschool. I was walking past and saw this new store, walked in and got an introductory game of 2nd Ed 40k, then i was hooked. I was working there during the release of 3rd Ed and then dropped out of the hobby for 4th. By the time i returned it was 5th Ed and wow....from 3rd to 5th was a MASSIVE leap!

I still have a copy of the 2nd Ed wargear book, and the Angels of Death codex, wich is such a good book for fluff!

Angels of Death is pure win for BA and DA fluff. I still have it (although very dog-eared by now) alongside the current BA codex and am constantly comparing the two for fluff.

Huzzah! I'm part of a community group now! :)

Now let me make my first order of business to ask.....Does anyone have any easy ways to paint eye-lenses? My BAs have white eyes currently and I rather wish they didn't. And could I possibly do it with just DA green? And adding like Bleached bone or white to it for the next step up? or would I be better off buying a brighter green too?

Also if I post some of my GKs could I get some critiques and suggestions?

Welcome Brother.

This tutorial might help with your lenses http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=117358

And by all means, post your GK's - the Brotherhood is here to help in any way we can!

Angels of Death is pure win for BA and DA fluff. I still have it (although very dog-eared by now) alongside the current BA codex and am constantly comparing the two for fluff.

i love the story of Calistarius/Mephiston and the full page painting of him, much better than the current Mephiston art. Ive never played DA but the fluff in that book is so damn good. In my opinion second edition codices were the best (fluff and art wise). 5th Ed is probably on par with 2nd Ed, i was very impressed, but the 3rd Ed which were just supplements for the SM codex

@ Vlad III: feel free to post up whatever you like: as long as it's forum supported and doesn't break any rules we don't mind.

@ Lestat: I'm insanely jealous of you now... I remember desperately trying to wipe that carboard dreadnought from the face of Armageddon :).

James

@ Vlad III: feel free to post up whatever you like: as long as it's forum supported and doesn't break any rules we don't mind.

@ Lestat: I'm insanely jealous of you now... I remember desperately trying to wipe that carboard dreadnought from the face of Armageddon :).

James

I'm a little jealous of you myself - I'm after a copy of Rogue Trader!

I remember those Orks and Gretchin being the cause of many stab wounds to my feet as we used to play 40k on the floor (couldn't afford a gaming table at the time)

Does anyone else feel like an acient dreadnought passing on his wisdom and experience to yound novitiates?

Yeah, I kinda do and the trouble is I'm only 26! I never experienced Grot related injuries, but I seem to remember that every Ork and Grot had a spike on it's head 'ouch!'

If you like I could find out how much it'd cost to post it to you for a loan....

James

Yeah, I kinda do and the trouble is I'm only 26! I never experienced Grot related injuries, but I seem to remember that every Ork and Grot had a spike on it's head 'ouch!'

If you like I could find out how much it'd cost to post it to you for a loan....

James

A mere whippersnapper compared to us old 'uns (I'm 27 by the way) :)

I really would like to say yes to your kind offer, but I'll be moving house pretty soon and couldn't promise that I'll find the time to read it - or remember which box it gets packed in!

Right, all these shiny metallic Marines has inspired me to dig out a model a I did some time last year. This was an amalgamation of model and painting experiments I was doing at the time. The idea was to build a true-scale Sternguard Marine with a converted bolter out of bitz.

Here's the result:

gallery_36289_4392_1548224.jpg

gallery_36289_4392_362136.jpg

gallery_36289_4392_1709103.jpg

The legs and arms were elongated using plastic spacers. I added spacers between the chest and back plates too. Terminator groin plates were used to add bulk to his thighs as they make nice pauldrons. The bolter was lengthened with a plastic spacer and the magazine came from a strom bolter. The scope is from a tactical marine sprue.

If I were to undertake this again, I would use terminator arms because the PA ones end up looking too skinny. A little greenstuff would help too - especially in the gaps between the shoulder and torso.

He was undercoated black, with a base coat of mithril silver. Badab black wash was then applied into the recesses and allowed to dry. I then used about three coats of Thraka green wash all over the model.

As I said, this was purely an experiment to try out new techniques. I'm not intending to do an army of these guys - but maybe a squad of 5 or so would look good on a display shelf.

Haha....I feel like I shouldn't be here. Everyone's been around since second edition or so and I've never played in any but this one. It all started with DoW, and I found a bunch of mods for it, one of which was the Grey Knight army mod. And I was hooked. I promptly began a DH army two years ago during my freshman year of college. And my first battle was epic. 2v3 3000 v 3000. Necrons and SW vs. GK, Nids, and Orks. I slowly fell in love with GKs as they just cleaved through unit after unit of Space Wolves, much to the discontent of our fairly arrogant SW player. :) I did however vow never to Deep Strike terminators again.....as I lost them on a mishap. And we tied......by an inch. They were contesting our objective (stupid wraiths) and the nids player missed capturing there objective by one inch on a run roll with some gaunts. A sad day.

Since then I've found myself slowly proxying multiple armies until I landed in the warm hug of Sanguinius back before the new codex. And no matter what Xenos army books I have I'll always come back to my main army which is slowly reaching fruitition.

I honestly wish I could snag a copy of Angels of Death, I've heard a lot about it and the only version I managed to find was just the DA portion.....without the fluff. :(

But! Thanks for that link. I remember going to that one to try and solidify the technique for glows, but I couldn't remember what color eyes he used. As for my Grey Knights, I'll snap some pictures of my (kinda) finished ones for some good ol' C&C.

Thanks also for the warm welcome :)

EDIT: Of course I'd forget something... :)

I agree with you on the arms Lestat. Though how did you do that green? I want to say that it looks Viva Metallica-ish but I'm not going to jump on that assumption.

Don't worry dude....agewise I'm older than these yungins' but I've only been playing since 4th edition and have had to acqiure theses tomes of knowledge in *other* ways :)

@ Pig of Sparta : yeah, I know I could do something other than DA but I'm leaning towards a PH DA now just for something different. I got so much DA stuff out of that RW box I'd hate to just see it collecting dust. And I'm going to try and improve my GS skills to

@ Vlad III I think it was the Viva Metallica (sounds like a new album by my favourite metal band :) ) method that inspired me to experiment with metallics and washes.

Glad I could help with the link. It's a technique I've yet to try (mainly because I keep getting distracted by new shiny things) but I'd love to see your results. Maybe you could give it a go on your GK's.

I don't think age should be a barrier to enjoying the grim-dark of 40k or anything for that matter. Hell, I still run around with NERF guns! (the main part of the nerf Recon would make a great Bolt pistol. Just got to find time to do it - like I said, shiny new things and distractions!)

Just had an idea - if we asked B&C really nicely, do you think that they would sticky this to the top of the WIP section?

Just a thought.

Hmmmm I may try....but I'd have to experiment with doing blue glows. We'll see how green turns out, and plasma glow. Baby steps.....baby steps XD I'll post shortly with my Grey Knights.

Just had an idea - if we asked B&C really nicely, do you think that they would sticky this to the top of the WIP section?

Just a thought.

Possibly. It can't hurt to ask I suppose. Who'd be the best person to approach d'ya reckon?

Alright so some crappy pics now!

Justicar

gallery_44158_5115_211997.jpg

And now the three most done/table top quality GKs

gallery_44158_5115_55446.jpg

gallery_44158_5115_181419.jpg

gallery_44158_5115_96689.jpg

I promise their eyes are blue....lighting sucks in my house at the moment.

Slightly better lighting

gallery_44158_5115_192262.jpg

NFW Detail Shot.

gallery_44158_5115_31280.jpg

I'll try and snap some better pictures next week, but until than, can anyone make a few suggestions?

To darken the eyes, you could water down some Chaos Black (so it flows like water) or if you have it use slightly thinned Badab Black wash and put a tiny drop into each mini's eye lenses. What it'll do is dry around the edges making the lenses a bit more defined, but it'll leave the main colour in the center. Or you could go back to them and try this (If I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs, then please feel free to tell me :():

Darkest Colour--->Mid Tone---->Highlight---->Edge Highlight---->(optional) re-shade edges with wash of Badab Black

I'll give you a couple of examples using colours I use (I'm afraid I don't have any step by step photos);

Dark Angels Green---->Snot Green---->Scorpion Green---->Scorpion Green/Skull White mix

Regal Blue---->Ultramarines Blue---->Ice Blue---->Space Wolves Grey

With each step you apply a thinner line of paint than the last so that your eyes trick you into seeing a gradual change in the colours. As you get used to the layering you can start to soften the 'lines' between each colour by mixing the colours from each step together as you highlight up. So using the above example of green you'd have something like this;

Dark Angels Green-->Dark Angels Green and Snot Green-->Snot Green-->Snot Green and Scorpion Green-->Scorpion Green--Scopion Green and Skull White-->Skull White.

you can apply this to any set of colours really. I've really only used blue and green, but it should work with any (in theory).

For the armour, I've heard good things about using blues on GK's PA, but I've never tried it myself so I couldn't say 100% that it's the thing to do. Personally, I shade silver metallics with Badab Black then add fine edge highlights of the next shade up (so Chainmail on Boltgun Metal, Mithril Silver on Chainmail). From the looks of it your GK's are Chainmail just now, so a wash of Badab Black folowed by some Chainmail or Mithril Silver highlights (depending on how shiny you want them to be) would add some depth and definition to the armour.

Hope I've been some help :P

James

Loads actually, I'll try washing the eyes, and maybe hitting the gold with some Sepia wash. I really needc to learn to steady my hand when it comes to detailing, it's my biggest problem.

However, the silver is actually Boltgun Metal with a fairly liberal Chainmail drybrush. And I'm not a big fan of the Blue-silver GKs, too enchanted and sparkly looking so I was planning on hitting them with a Black Wash when I around to painting them again, meaning after my BAs which are coming along ever slowly. Just can't keep focused on painting for hours like I could.

Archived