Is a Landraider really neccessary for assault units

Captain Idaho

I'm still not understanding how the 435pt razorback is "expendable". Either way you're losing almost a third of your army in a single shot.

I've only skimmed this thread (so this may already have been addressed), but if your Honour Guard carrying razorback is destroyed/immobilized on turn 1, couldn't you have the Honour Guard commandeer a Tactical Squad's rhino and have the Tactical Squad footslog instead?

If the Landraider dies dropping off it's cargo, you can't say that is ok, because you lose a unit worth alot of points and a substantial amount of your army's firepower.

Oh, you mean e.g. after it's had two turns of movement? Yeah, ok, that's fair.

Not sure it's an appropriate comparison though. There aren't many opponents who will waste significant firepower on a LR after its cargo is in a position to assault. You usually get more bang for your... er... bang... by shooting something else.

I'm not writing the rhino off though. I don't think I'd be kidding if I said that my rhinos have won me more close games than their cargo has. Between them and my typhoons, no objectives are safe!

You can, of course, use the LR in the same way if you choose (although it's a bit less nimble due to its obesity), but yes it's generally more useful as a forward firebase.

Not sure it's an appropriate comparison though. There aren't many opponents who will waste significant firepower on a LR after its cargo is in a position to assault. You usually get more bang for your... er... bang... by shooting something else.

Well I think it is, in my humble opinion. People are more likely to feel threatened into putting firepower into a Landraider post disembarkation than a Rhino, but I do acknowledge that that would be a viable tactic in it's own right.

Like I said, I do love my Landraider, it looks so awesome and works so well when things go the right way, but lately I've noticed everyone knows how to deal with the thing!

Perhaps a decent Landraider tactica can be made by someone? :P

Perhaps a decent Landraider tactica can be made by someone? ;)

Stick Vulkan, a Chaplain, and as many hammernators as will fit into a Crusader, scream straight up the centre of the board unsupported, and assault the first 120-point shoota boyz squad you find.

Easy, right?

:P

Perhaps a decent Landraider tactica can be made by someone? ;)

Stick Vulkan, a Chaplain, and as many hammernators as will fit into a Crusader, scream straight up the centre of the board unsupported, and assault the first 120-point shoota boyz squad you find.

Easy, right?

:D

Perhaps we can sticky this? :P

I like my LRC with a Termi Assault Sqd. Sgt TH/SS, 3x TC, HF/PF, Chappi. The Hurricane Bolters and HF thin the field and 21 attacks with re-rolls will usually kill the entire unit your attacking.

Now their are pros & cons to this tactic, they will depend on the unit you are attacking and the support your following up with. As a worst case scenario they will tie up lots of opponents forces before the are eliminated.

After the initial assault, the LR can Tank Shock on one flank or the other of your Termies to prevent them being assaulted, make the right move, rinse & repeat.

Archived