Those guys with alabaster white armour - Angels Encarmine SG

kikkala

Look who crawled back :).

What a crappy year it has been on hobbys view, doing absolutely nothing! Maybe now that summer break is on, and the temperature sky rocketing, I've trapped myself inside 4 walls, and nothing cools the body better than painting and sculpting ;).

As you've noticed from topic title, I've started yet another Space Marine army, since Blood Angels got their brand new codex, I thought I'd jump the bandwagon. The idea of all sanguinary guard army is too tempting, but gold wasn't such a good theme in my opinion, then I noticed that Angels Encarmine, and their white sanguinary guards :). Spiced up with couple sanguinary priests, and BAM I've got an army.

(warning to all of you... half a year and no painting is bad combination, my painting is still pretty rusty)

Here's Angels Encarmine "Dante", and I've yet to find his real name, I'll call him Fabio. His chest piece and legs have some sculpting on 'em.

gallery_25055_1634_72032.jpg

These two are the most WIP and PIP sanguinary guards.

gallery_25055_1634_110192.jpg

This one is actually the first sanguinary guard I built, and yet I tore his head off, will replace it someday.

gallery_25055_1634_9461.jpg

This sanguinary guard is closest to completion, I'm kinda surprised how the sword turned out.

gallery_25055_1634_105715.jpg

And don't forget sanguinary priest, I'll have 2 more of these bad boys.

gallery_25055_1634_109508.jpg

Thanks Fire Lord Captain :unsure:.

Ok, it's update time!

With this one I attached the wings and jump pack, only that wings have some paint on them yet. Parchments, seal waxes, some gems and eye lenses were painted also.

gallery_25055_1634_82374.jpg

I stared painting 2nd SG today, and you can all notice how the white armour looks so much cleaner when compared to SG I painted before. Hey, I'm starting to get hang of painting white :P.

You can also see that jump pack and wings are finished already.

gallery_25055_1634_93093.jpg

Same SG with arms attached.

gallery_25055_1634_65684.jpg

C&C appreciated, thanks. :)

@Arbedark

Glad you like it. I'm still experimenting how to paint white, but here's how I currently do it. Basecoat with VGC (Vallejo Game Color) Ghost Grey, 3-4 thinned layers should do even coverage. Shade the white with really watered down GW Fortress Grey and wait to dry up. Shade with watered down GW Codex Grey, try to leave earlier shade showing. If you made mistakes, use Ghost Grey to cover them. And finally GW Skull White or any pure white color for edging. Hope this helps somehow :P.

@Andrew J

Thanks mate, I wasn't sure about the gold at first, but white armour with dark gold seems to balance each other out in the end :).

Err, update later tonight :P.

Wait, does ghost grey actually look that bright, or are you using ivory or something to do the top coat with? Ghost Grey seems almost blue-grey in the Vallejo color char, maybe a bit lighter than SW grey.

Yup, it is that bright color. I only used 3-4 thinned down coats of it for the armour. It could have tint of blue and grey in it, but very little amount, but in nature it's almost pure white. :P

As promised tonights update :).

Some minor fixing and parchments are still in progress, but otherwise he's finished. Gotta figure out what kind of base I should make.

gallery_25055_1634_55865.jpg

Thanks Xavier ;). More comin' up!

Finally I got my tiny hands on some new treat, I was lurking on warseer not long ago and I noticed nice painting technique involving Vallejos Matt. I didn't find the exact product, Matt Varnish should do the trick. Mixing matt, drop of paint and water makes a nice wash, and here's the results:

Both of SG got matt, codex grey and water-mix wash.

gallery_25055_1634_58661.jpg

gallery_25055_1634_62847.jpg

I also decide to try how it would look on red and yellow, so I built a common assault marine for testing. Yellows, reds and white were washed with new mixtures, for yellow I used Vomit Brown, for red Scorched Brown and for white Fortress Grey (which didn't work well). Other parts got GWs Gryphonne Sepia wash.

gallery_25055_1634_6303.jpg

Looking good so far Kikkalla,

Could you explain a little more about the matt varnish wash please, or post a link to the thread on warseer? I'm intruiged by the idea and would like to see more about it.

What were the proportions you used of codex grey/water/matt varnish and what consistency does it give?

Many thanks.

Dan

Thanks warsmith :huh:.

I found this thread ->LINK<- on warseer and it should cover all the info you need. I used Matt Varnish instead of Matt Medium, 'cause I couldn't find correct product. And for the proportions I used about 6-10 drops of matt, 1 drop of codex grey (or some other color) and water amount was on whim, more water adds more sharpness (this is also explained on the link).

Hope this helps as much it helped me :devil:.

Looking great! I've got SG and was thinking about doing them white. Yours are the first I've seen and I think it suits them.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Muzza :P.

Ok, lately I haven't been able to update at all, but today I was able to breathe a little and I got to work :P.

He's gonna need more shade.

gallery_25055_1634_113346.jpg

And I also realized I have some kind of weird thing for GS clothing, they're just too fun to do B). You can see that this ones head is SG death mask, which I ruined on some failed experiment.

gallery_25055_1634_51621.jpg

@Skirax

You mean the lil' dude? Nah, he's a helot (yet again I don't remember the actual name) :P.

@Natanael

Thanks mate, white can be a hard to paint, but after few tries even I could achieve something.

Poor bugger didn't leave me alone, so I continued with him.

"Darkness of space can be cruelly cold, so wear helluva amount of cloth!"

gallery_25055_1634_39233.jpg

Maybe I could tie him to my Angels Encarmine by sculpting a chalice which he could carry around, any thoughts? B)

Might work very nice B)

And have to say that your skills with the Green stuff is superb by now too mate :P getting better and better.. and fast too i might add..? :S you rock!

Hehe.. fun tohave you back with all your fun and custom sweet mins :P

Cheers mate

@Xavier

Thanks for the kind words mate :(.

@Dan

Thanks mate B). Jump abroad, you know that you want to ;).

Lil' bugger keeps getting more and more green stuff on him. Sculpting the goblet wasn't so hard I thought it would be. :P

gallery_25055_1634_184979.jpg

I'll tell you something:

I never liked this thread of yours.

Until now - because I realized your white isn't bad after all. Actually, it's pretty... pretty! Just like your red.

There's just one thing I'd like to add:

Your gold looks a little as if it were gold-coloured plastic (... this is not a joke, although I myself am not totally convinced of that... )

You might want to use Bestial Brown as a base for metallic gold. I saw this on an

tutorial and it is REALLY sweet.

P.S.: I hope you don't mind me criticising you at all; I, too, don't like too harsh criticism. On the other hand, it's better to hear someone say something else than "this is the perfect miniature" like, 25 times a day.

@Rogan

Don't worry about criticism mate ;), I really appreciate it. Thanks about the link too, I'm trying it on lil' bugger and I'll post results in this update.

@Master Toddius

A legend?? Please don't exaggerate mate B).

Painting has begun, I'm not so sure about was the robe success or not. But I tried new gold recipe, which came out little better on the mask than the goblet.

gallery_25055_1634_291582.jpg

Archived