Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Das Brutus... The Black Templar WIP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

das brutus

das brutus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
Greetings! I am Das Brutus. My familiarity with the game is basic. I've helped a friend paint his armies and I've been following the updates of the Movie and New Video Game about to be released.

I build costume armor and props, having completed a Halo Recon Spartan, Halo ODST Spartan, Halo ODST Soldier, and a Star Wars Mandalorian Shadow Trooper. (The helms can be seen in the upper left of photo below)

This year I decided to have a go at the most bad arsed armor ever... the Space Marine. Black Templar Chapter to be specific.
Here's what I've got so far:
I will be drybrushing the detail on the skull and wings (white) and adding the crosses to the shoulders... but am unsure as to what to do with the knee and helm... The Chainsword (recreated from the Ultra Marine movie pics) will have many more layers of gloss black with white accents, silver teeth, and gore - lots and lots of gore! The Bolter is awaiting completion and will be painted the same as the Chainsword... accented with the side skull and wings in silver and white.

Posted Image

Any suggestions? All are welcomed...
I've not found any "clear" pics or artwork to guide me on my decision... and would like to make a splash when visiting the Games Workshop store in the Grapevine Mills Mall later this year... :huh:

BTW: All pieces are one of a kind and I am unable and unwilling to reproduce them... I don't wish a C&D from GW

Edited by das brutus, 15 September 2010 - 04:09 PM.

Das Brutus

"Face your Fear, Accept your War"
Black Label Society

das brutus

das brutus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
UPDATE ON PAINT: Remember, as of yet unfinished... painting in stages

Going with the Black Cross on the shoulders and knee cap, I started the detail touch ups. Dry brushing the skull and wings, rivets, and adding a white cross to the helm courtesy of a helm I saw painted on a miniature... I also started a very bold paint scheme on the sword.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the original sculpt done by my friend Sid:
Posted Image

I'm still hoping for some ideas on making the look "stand up and smack you in the face"... and input is welcomed...

Brutus!
Das Brutus

Black Label Society

das brutus

das brutus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
Painting update:

Bolter
Posted Image

Chest / Shoulder / Right Knee
Posted Image
Posted Image

Still to do:
Cross the Second Shoulder (black)
Cross the belt buckle (white)
Cross on th back (white) since I'm going sans backpack
2 Crosses on Bolter (black) 1 on each side behind the ejector slide
finish painting the Chainsword

Also, I'm removing the thigh plates and going with the loincloth look... a few Templar and Imperium symbols and a liturgy...

Brutus
Das Brutus

Black Label Society

das brutus

das brutus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
Costume update:

Still debating going sans helmet... Finished the Purity seals and Tabbard... took some test shots after finally mounting my Halo Recon Spartan on the mannequin (only took a year). So I'm only wearing regular clothes under the armor. I'll be wearing black BDUs when all said and done...

Here are the pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

any comments?
Das Brutus

Black Label Society

fivepointedstar

fivepointedstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,923 posts
very nice. Are you going to make a power pack to wear on your back?
Signature not compliant with forum rules
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:100451]
[size=5][url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=233592]Blood Dragons IA[/url][/size]
[size=5][url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=263095]Exsanguinators IA[/url][/size]

Formerly Deathknight2000.

das brutus

das brutus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

very nice. Are you going to make a power pack to wear on your back?

Thank you! As far as the powerpack, I know it would complete the look, but no. Even walking sideways, it's very tight going through doors... I can use the excuse that I've seen enough figures without to justify the lack of pack, but the truth is it would make me just too big!

The closest character I can think of for my look is "Brother Brunnar" from the "Damnation Crusade" books...
Das Brutus

Black Label Society

IronDuke

IronDuke

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 458 posts
Wow, that thing is fantastic, how have I missed this? The armour looks fantastic so far, I doubt the lack of a backpack will detract from the finished look too much. Can't wait to see what it looks like all together.

“Throughout the Imperium we are shunned. We are not welcomed. Our praises are not sung. We are the forgotten, the lost, the Lamenters. No one will help us, and nor should they. We stand alone in our darkest hour, and two paths lie before us; to accept our curse, to go quietly into the darkness, or to stand tall, and believe in your brothers, in the hope that one day, we may leave the shackles of our past behind, and finally walk resplendent throughout the galaxy…”
From the epistles of Chaplain Thaddeus

The Normish

The Normish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,799 posts
Fwah! I'm impressed. Plus, you have the beard to match!

Make sure to display pictures of that armor at the GW store when you go!

Kassill

Kassill

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,104 posts
Will there be leg plates? What you have now looks great, but I honestly thing leg plates and a pack would set it above the rest. The bolter is really good looking, I like it!
Lo, there do I see my fallen kinsmen, Threads cut by the foe I now seek. In bloody battle I will engage him, And carve my vengeance from his flesh. No ale shall pass my lips, At no feast will I indulge. No foe shall stay my wrath, Until my brothers are avenged. Ever shall I hunt my quarry, Across the Sea of Stars. Whilst I yet breathe, I will not falter, Until Morkai claims his due.--Bjorn's Oath of the Lone Wolf

das brutus

das brutus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

Will there be leg plates? What you have now looks great, but I honestly thing leg plates and a pack would set it above the rest. The bolter is really good looking, I like it!

The leg plates are very non-descript, but will be worn in the "Pro" photos of the suits, hopefully next week...

To all: Thanks for the compliments and critiques! While I have a HUGE ego, I know that with all this costuming stuff, I have alot to learn and will constantly be modifying them.

Teaser: My next build will be from scratch, more game accurate, and I'm going to vear away from my standard black and white color scheme...

More pics in the upcoming days (next week)

B!
Das Brutus

Black Label Society

stuckinbermuda

stuckinbermuda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 459 posts
Quick suggestion for the backpack,

Try using magnets, like the powerful ones in speakers, having one in the backpack and a reinforced metal plate in the torso armor would make mounting it quick and easy for taking off (a backpack is the ideal thing to mount portable speakers in with a MP3 player loaded with cool sound effects) when moving into another room, also the magnet thing would work with the weapons, grenades, pistol holster or pouches, for you could attach them so your hands can be free for toasting B)
Recycling is fun, and cheap!

das brutus

das brutus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
Right! So here are some updated pics...

I decided to use some "drop leg pouches" as I need a place to stow my gear (wallet, phone, smokes)... and I know I should have steamed the tabbard, but it honestly didn't look as bad in person as it showed up in the picture...

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Helmet or no helmet...?"
Posted Image

"No Helmet!"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, that's it for now. Will post some "night of" pics the night after...

B
Das Brutus

Black Label Society

The Normish

The Normish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,799 posts
Not bad at all, you look like an unusually contemplative Black Templar in picture 3.

das brutus

das brutus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

Not bad at all, you look like an unusually contemplative Black Templar in picture 3.

yeah... So many Witches, which one to kill first?

...and as is my tradition, here's a wee little video:

Enjoy
Halloween Video

B!
Das Brutus

Black Label Society

The Normish

The Normish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,799 posts
Nice video, and you're right about those witches.