Moderators and other members will conduct the battles and then write battle reports for everyone else. The goal is for everyone to have a little fun and to spark a little friendly competition.
Characters must conform to the following rules:
- HQ or Elites character (see this post for guidance on Elites choices)
- 145 points or less
- 0-1 attack at Str 8 -or- Instant Death ability*
- Not accompanied by any models with stat lines
- Bikes, jump packs, or the equivalent may be taken
- No monstrous creatures or vehicles
- Special characters are okay if they meet all of the above criteria
- Characters must be created using any of the codices covered by the Bolter & Chainsword (Codex: Space Marines, Codex: Black Templars, Codex: Blood Angels, Codex: Dark Angels, Codex: Space Wolves, Codex: Daemonhunters, Codex: Witch Hunters, Codex: Chaos Space Marines, and Codex: Chaos Daemons)
Some deviation from the above might be allowed on a case-by-case basis, except for the 145 point limit (contact Brother Tyler).
Don't expect any involved storylines. Some of our moderati might inject storylines in their batreps, but that’s up to them. This will just be about bashing each others' heads in and getting bragging rights. Battle reports will be short and sweet.
Battles will be arranged by a random draw. A model may get only one bye throughout the entire competition (counting both the internal intra-forum AoDs and the B&C-wide inter-forum AoD as a single competition).
All of the battles for a round will be announced simultaneously. Once the battles for the round are announced, members will have about 24 hours to submit special instructions specific to that battle (special instructions are covered later). Battle-specific special instructions will be submitted by PM to the member that is conducting the battle (which will be listed with the battle announcement), to the moderators of the forum (for the intra-forum AoDs), and/or to Brother Tyler.
Battles will be conducted using the following rules:
- Combatants start 18+3D6" apart
- Combatants will make an Initiative check each turn by rolling 1D6 and adding their Initiative score. The combatant with the higher Initiative check wins the initiative and goes first that turn. If the combatants tie in the Initiative check, the combatant with the higher Initiative wins the initiative. If the combatants have the same Initiative score, the Initiative check will be re-rolled until there is a winner.
- Models may move up to their full movement distance forward, or up to 2” backwards.
- Stunning replaces the Instant Death rule. Any attack that would normally cause Instant Death (e.g., force weapon, Str of the attack double or more the defending model’s Toughness, etc.) causes Stunning instead. A Stunned model may not perform any more actions (moving, shooting, charging, assaulting) for the rest of the game turn. If the model is engaged in assault, it may not attack and will defend at -2 WS. The next game turn, the model makes a Toughness check. If the model passes the Toughness check, it may roll an Initiative check and act as normal. If the model fails the Toughness check, it automatically fails the Initiative check, but may otherwise act as normal.
- Models may Parry. A model may parry one or two times each turn, sacrificing that number of attacks but forcing the opposing model to re-roll that number of to-hit rolls. Declarations to parry are made at the start of the Assault phase (by special instruction). If the other model fails to land successful to-hit rolls, the attacks are still sacrificed to the parry intent as the model has readied itself for defense.
- Models may fall back voluntarily (based on special instructions) or may be forced to fall back by losing an assault. Losing an assault is similar to the normal rules, but is based on the number of Wounds inflicted. Wounds for which the save (whether normal or invulnerable) was passed count as double. A model that falls back immediately moves back 2” from assault. The other model may not consolidate, but if it passes an Initiative test (roll less than or equal to its Initiative score on a D6) it may make a single normal attack with no special modifiers (i.e., using its own Str and no special rules). If both models fall back for some reason, neither may make the free attack.
- Each battle goes until a model is reduced to 0 Wounds, at which point the other model is declared the winner. If both models are reduced to 0 Wounds simultaneously, both models die and the battle is a draw (the “ai uchi” rule). The only exception to the ai uchi rule is that it can’t result in a champion by default (i.e., if we have three models left and one has the bye, the other two won’t be able to kill each other off by ai uchi) – the champion has to earn the title.
Special instructions allow players to direct the way their characters fight. There are stock special instructions that apply to every fight in which the character takes place, and there are battle-specific special instructions that direct how the character will fight against specific opponents. In general, the stock special instructions will be used unless over-ruled by the battle-specific special instructions. Both types of special instructions should be submitted using the following format:
[b]Moving -[/b] [enter your instructions here] [b]Shooting -[/b] [enter your instructions here] [b]Psyker Powers -[/b] [enter your instructions here] [b]Charging/Assault -[/b] [enter your instructions here - this is where you’d give Parry instructions] [b]Voluntary Fallback -[/b] [enter your instructions here]The stock special instructions will be submitted with your character entry while battle-specific special instructions will be submitted before each battle. Members will only need to submit battle-specific special instructions in cases where their characters’ tactics will differ against a specific opponent.
So what is this “intra-forum” and “inter-forum” garbage?
Well, a number of our forums will be conducting internal intra-forum Arena of Death competitions to determine their forum champions. Once done, the champions from each of those forums will face off in a board-wide inter-forum Arena of Death. There will be one champion from each of the following forums:
- Black Templars – characters created using Codex: Black Templars
- Blood Angels – characters created using Codex: Blood Angels
- Dark Angels – characters created using Codex: Dark Angels
- Space Wolves – characters created using Codex: Space Wolves
- Ultramarines – characters created using Codex: Space Marines (the Ultramarines and known Ultramarines Successors)
- Index Astartes – characters created using Codex: Space Marines (all other Chapters)
- Chaos Ascendant – characters created using Codex: Chaos Space Marines without any Marks
- Legio Morbidus – characters created using Codex: Chaos Space Marines or Codex: Chaos Daemons that serve Nurgle
- Throne of Skulls – characters created using Codex: Chaos Space Marines or Codex: Chaos Daemons that serve Khorne
- Planet of Sorcerers – characters created using Codex: Chaos Space Marines or Codex: Chaos Daemons that serve Tzeentch
- Legion of Excess – characters created using Codex: Chaos Space Marines or Codex: Chaos Daemons that serve Slaanesh
- Liber Maleficorum – characters created using Codex: Chaos Daemons
- Ordos Inquisition – characters created using Codex: Daemonhunters or Codex: Witch Hunters
- Liber Astartes – characters created using any of the supported codices – the member must have previously posted a topic in the Liber Astartes forum to discuss the development of the Chapter/Order/whatever, and the character must be from that Chapter/Order/whatever
- Librarium – characters created using any of the supported codices – the member must have a published article on any topic within the Librarium
Only sixteen models will be allowed to participate in each forum. This gives us a nice progression of 16-8-4-2-1 if we get the max participation.
In keeping with our goal of allowing as many members to participate as possible, though, we’ll do our best to shuffle characters around forums. So let’s say that the Liber Astartes forum has twenty-three participants while the Ultramarines forum has only fourteen, the Index Astartes forum has only eleven, and the Librarium has only eight. If any of those characters from the Liber Astartes forum were submitted by members that had submitted articles to the Librarium, we might shuffle those characters into the Librarium; while any characters that come from Chapters descended from the Ultramarines might be moved to that forum with others being moved to the Index Astartes forum. We might even relax some of the requirements with regard to affiliation, so Ultramarines Legions descendants might find themselves in the Index Astartes forum whereas Chaos Space Marines that serve powers might be moved to the Undivided forum (if we have room, that is). We’ll minimize the number of characters moved, though, to only those necessary in order to allow maximum participation.
If we still have excess characters (which I hope we don’t), we’ll have some sort of selection process to whittle the numbers down. This process will be determined by the forum moderators. Characters/members prevented from participating through any “whittling down” process will be automatically entered into the next AoD we run (whenever that may be).
Members may submit one character for the entire AoD. Submissions will include:
- Character name
- Codex used
- Unit entry used
- all weapons, wargear, abilities, options, etc.
- Total cost
- Stock special instructions
- Image of painted mini (must be at a tabletop level – three colors or more).
All submissions must be posted to the appropriate forum Arena of Death participation discussion:
- Black Templars
- Blood Angels
- Dark Angels
- Space Wolves
- Index Astartes
- Chaos Space Marines (Undivided)
- Chaos Daemons
- Liber Astartes
All submissions must be posted by midnight PST on 22 August.
There are two ways that members can participate. First, you can submit a character as described above. Second, you can help the moderati to conduct battles and write battle reports. You can do either or both. If you are interested in helping the moderati, please contact them via PM.
The champion from each forum will get nifty little images that can be used as an avatar, personal photo, or banner image within their signature. The overall champion will get additional images that can be used in the same fashion.
And then there’s the right to talk a little smack.
Edited by Brother Tyler, 22 July 2010 - 02:44 AM.
Changed criteria to allow for certain Elites choices to be entered.