Question about DoWII

Gillyfish

I'd say tactics are more important. Abilities sure help but not much you can do if you're squads are in a nasty crossfire from 2 shuriken platforms with banshees screaming in :rolleyes:

Now, another question. In Dawn of War 2, is it true tactics that will win the day (positioning, outflanking, etc.) or special abilities. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether the game experience is about thoughtful use of your forces or frantic button clicking!

Oh, tactics definitely.

You send a squad of marines out of cover, or have your Devastators set up in an area that doesn't guard their flanks, and you'll have trouble. It's best to co-ordinate your squads so that they're more effective. And you can't spam as many, say, Tactical Marines, so you have to decide what kind of force you want to build.

Special abilities are also important, for the squads and characters, but the Global abilities can turn the tide of battle. You get to use these by killing your opponents, and some of them are really epic (orbital bombardment, fore example), and others only useful (like the Blessing of the Omnissiah).

So if you're after tactics and strategy, Dawn of War II is your choice.

I'd say that DoW II is a lot more tactical then a lot of the game I've played. I do agree that DoW while good didn't require a lot in the way of tactics per say. All you had to do was spam a lot of units and be able to grind the enemy down. You only have 4 units to use and you have to take out the whole enemy army with those. You have to set up things to be in your favor. The added bonus of upgrades and leveling allow you to make it more personal as your squads are of your creation and how you run them will effect that. I personally love the small squad of about 10 against the odds it makes it a lot more fun.

The need and use of tactics really separate DOW 2 from the rest of the RTS field.

That and the environment. It plays like a real 3d environment. Cover really matters, Line of Site actually exists, almost everything on the map is destructable . One of my favorite parts of playing DoW 2 was the first time I had terminators and they just walked through some walls and other cover, destroying it.

Second favorite, the Orks yelling WAAAGH!!!!!!

Just wish the space marines were as pious as they were in the first game, 'Heresy grows from idleness."

• 1 month later...
Remember the whole Steam/GFWL thing. It may not be a dealbreaker for everyone, but I certainly held off and bought it used at a vast discount.

Me too. i wanted to buy it the day/week it came out but had to wait until i got a job with wireless internet so i could ACTIVATE it. what happened to trust???

Archived