Caestus Assault Ram

Resv

I looked at this and thought 'Wow - a way to make my Deathwing not suck*!'

Then I realised, 'Wait, you can't put two units in a transport'

So that leaves it out of friendly games, and leaves it for apocalypse games where you can actually add more than 2 characters to a unit. Granted I was going to scratch build it anyway, but now there's still no point.

Back to the LRC lads.

*A way to get 10 deathwing terminators into combat quick and safe and cheap.

Sorry, it's too good. It either needs to cost a lot more, or it needs to lose a lot on survivability and/or firepower. Just the fact it can move 36" into enemy deployment zone turn 1 makes it worth the price tag.

Exactly. This is the justification for my first post.

If the LGS allows its use outside of Apoc, then the LR becomes practically (but not totally) worthless. Compensation for the LR, abilities can be allocated elsewhere.

I also agree here:

there should be fewer things like the caestus ram in the game, simply because they`re too much of trick ponies that are extremely hard to stop, yet extremely specialized in their use.

The CAR dumbs the Space Marine game down. The Land Raider almost does this for us already, almost. So if the CAR is just too good to pass up over the LR ...

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with the rules, it's too broken for even apocalypse games, however I am in the process of scratchbuilding one as I have nothing in Apocalypse to field that has the same 'wow factor' as my Ork/Imperial Guard playing friends' Stompa's and Baneblades. The Caestus is certainly a wow factor all right.

I love the look of the model, and as a Salamanders player it gives me back what Codex: Black Templars stole from me: Ceremite Armour.

In Apocalypse I'd be very tempted to double it's points cost at least before I fielded it, but I don't think anyone will make even half as much fuss once it's experimental rules have been playtested. By the time IA9 is out expect the rules to be toned down A LOT.

To me, it needs the following if the points cost is going to stay the same: Twin Linked Multi Melta instead of the Magna Melta, removal of the extra movement during flat out and removal of the 5+ invulnerable save to the front armour. It doesn't need those trinkets to be a good tank.

It looks almost VDR'ed, for those who remember those awesomely terrible vehicle creation rules.

I personally love this thing. 36" of turbo boost 2" disembark and 6" of assault yes sir ill take one. My question would I be able too use this with my PH World Eaters because if so I cant think of anything better to carry in Angron and his body guard. I mean 44" of range for the red angel o yea that would be sweet.

I personally love this thing. 36" of turbo boost 2" disembark and 6" of assault yes sir ill take one. My question would I be able too use this with my PH World Eaters because if so I cant think of anything better to carry in Angron and his body guard. I mean 44" of range for the red angel o yea that would be sweet.

I believe that you cannot disembark if your vehicle moved over 12", this what you are suggesting won't work.

I looked at this and thought 'Wow - a way to make my Deathwing not suck*!'

Then I realised, 'Wait, you can't put two units in a transport'

So that leaves it out of friendly games, and leaves it for apocalypse games where you can actually add more than 2 characters to a unit. Granted I was going to scratch build it anyway, but now there's still no point.

Back to the LRC lads.

*A way to get 10 deathwing terminators into combat quick and safe and cheap.

LRC maxed with DW termies is 7. The Caestus 7 no difference.

Now I'll agree the rules to this are slightly broken (IMO). But when you truly think of some of the cheese other armies have, it gives the SM player a fast way to get to them...ie...50,000 ork lootas firing autocannons, Imperial guard and their pie plates, screened by HB's and LC squads. JMO.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
I know the thread s old, but the CAR has been calling to me and growing on me since I frst saw it. Does anyone know if they changed the rules and points cost?

Yes, it got an overhaul in Imperial Armour Apocalypse Second Edition, just released before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
drat, but is it still in the same points cost range? (Not asking for specifics, I have and idea that asking for that would get me in trouble.)

It's in the same kind of points range as a LR crusader in the BT codex (not exactly the same, but you get the idea).

The rules/points for the CAR are the same in both places FW have published them, IA apoc 2nd ed and the 2nd Badab war book - both are worth getting.

I've been wanting to try out a car for ages, like the idea of it, and have been tempted to get one from fw (though I'm not gonna spend 100 pounds on one).

I could imagine ramming it at a super heavy, after having dropped off 10 terminators :)

• 1 year later...
Posted · Hidden by DarkGuard, January 23, 2014 - necro
Hidden by DarkGuard, January 23, 2014 - necro

Been thinking abut getting one for my upcoming Carcharodons. Looking at the rules I'm on the fence vs a Storm Eagle. Anyone who has one have any thoughts on it?

Archived