Pre-Heresy Madness

Doghouse

Long story short...

I'm going to be playing against Apologist's Ultramarines sometime in the nearish future and need to get an army together for a truescale death match of epic proportions set in the time of the Heresy.

For the time being I'm pencilled in as Iron Warriors but that my change depending on the way the marines go, I may well go with the Alpha Legion or Night Lords just yet either way it'll be one of the traitor legions but am tempted to bring Captain Artibeus out of retirement for this game.

These are the first test pieces for the models' I'm going to sculpt for this army, still really rough but I'm basically just ironing out the wrinkles at the moment.

I've scaled the marine to stand at around seven foot six without armour. The main problem I've encountered though is that the proportions of the marine tend to off set the heroic scale stuff quite a bit making the regular models look quite cartoonish and squat. To counter this I'm making some truescale humans that can be used as servitors, scribes, remembrancers, army, etc, to show off the sheer size of the marines themselves. These guys are scaled at about six foot one.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2i76cme.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/27zb67k.jpg

These first test models are pretty static but I fully intend to have them positioned more dynamically and have been working hard to find the best poses.

The real problem is what armour mark to make the marines and what Legion. The puritan in me is saying go with Mk II armour but I'm also thinking maybe Mk IV would look really cool.

As I intend to use these guys for pre-heresy gaming the latest I can make them is the Mk IV.

Cheers guys. :)

I must admit it is sooo tempting to go full on Mk II with fixed helms and all representing a legion at the beginning of the crusade. I've got ten armatures made up an ready for sculpting so I'll play around and see what works.

Wow, those size comparisons make a huge difference. You marines are going to be enormous! Don't get me wrong, not a bad thing at all!! Can't wait to see them!

Have you made the armatures yourself?

Also, for the record, I would go with some MK3 in there too!

D

Yeah they are going to be quite big. :teehee:

The size is going to be a little misleading though. If you straighten the legs out on one of my regular actual scale conversions like the one pictured above he'd be the same height as this guy. Once they are crouching and running they should be of a similar height.

I'm going to go with the Mk II for the time being and am going a slightly different route this time around by mixing milliput in with the GS.

Normally I don't like filing models but I'm going to give it a bash to see what happens.

Just mapping out the armour at the moment, but with the release of the FW Phobos pattern bolters I'll be ordering a few of them asap for these guys.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2llioex.jpg

*edit*

Yeah I made the armature myself and cast it using a simple white metal kit to save time.

Love it!

Yeah, the GS/MP mix works wuite well and really takes the filing well. Can get a good edge on there with it.

The FW bolters are really nice! The Phobos ones are really mean looking too, will be getting some of these myself I think.

Watching this one closely, thanks man.

D

Dragunov: Cheers mate. :) Yeah it's something I normally only use on vehicles but it should work quite well on a large marine. I'm not really a fan of filing on miniatures but it should work fine on this guy.

Molotov: Hello mate. :( Yeah Word Bearers would be pretty good for the battle but I'm after something that I can use with other pre-heresy battles and am not really a fan of them pre-heresy. Post heresy yes, but before that they are too much like modern marines for my liking.

The original brief for our game was that the Ultramarines are being supported by whatever forces I use on the great crusade. When the Heresy breaks Apologist's Ultramarines try to get to earth/calth but my forces are in their way occupying a vital supply stronghold.

We're basing it on material from the original space marine epic background and adeptus/codex titanicus re-inventing old characters mentioned in the books.

Looking fab mate, its great to see you starting from scratch and picking a good "base" of a human standing upright so you will be able to judge the size of armour segments much better. :teehee:

Cheers guys! :P

Pulse: Yeah I figured that it was time to try something new. I've pretty much done all I can with terminator conversions and figured that by starting from scratch building the armour up from the marine himself would prove to be really interesting and probably give me the best results.

I exaggerated the armature a little to try and give him marine like proportions and it's worked really well. They work brilliantly for making scouts if I ever get around to it.

Captainforge: Death guard are an excellent legion but I'm leaning towards redoing my Night Lords army because I never really gave it a fair crack last time. :)

Cheers mate. :)

Ultimately I will be making a bucket load of these guys but will be starting off with eleven. I'm currently cutting and repositioning the armatures for the first squad and working on the humans and admech forces to accompany them.

Looking very nice and fast work too.

If you dont mind me asking how do you do the circle or 'belt buckle'? Is it a ball that you squish and slowy work outwards from the centre or is it predone and attached before its fully cured...

Archived