Dawn of War II: Retribution

Artein

I love the angels but I'm going to pass on this one, it doesn't really do anything for me.

It looks like a cheap (and I don't mean the price) tack-on option. :)

DLC you pay for should add more to the game than a simple re-skin, especially for that price. Give us re-skin AND new units then maybe it's worth it.

If they want to give us DLC, then it should be;

1. A campaign editor (to make our own campaigns like some older games allowed people to do, this DLC would likely cost like £8 but would be so worth it if they could be given to friends, even if the friends have to purchase the DLC to actually play them)
  2. new missions (Average price £5 for two missions. This one I'd sell my warp-corrupted soul for if they were race specific; if i have to retreat from that Warp-damned Baneblade ONE more time..! >,<)
  3. New Races (Average price £8+. With new units, not just a reskin, I'm talking new heroes with associated skills, new units with new voiceacting)
  4. Wargear packs that were fluffy AND balanced (Average price £2-4. Seriously, the collector's edition wargear was terrible, effectively makes the play difficulty one level lower than you've selected (hard -> Medium -> Easy -> "faceroll on keyboard for victory" - > "why the Warp are you even playing?!"))

• 2 weeks later...
I picked up the collectors edition cheap and had fun with it so far. It's one of them games you play for a bit then leave it a while and come back to it. If you're interested though Relic has released The Last Stand as a full game for £6.49.

i got seduced into buying some sort of special edition withgoodies like in game stuff that you can download (not sure if the goodies are included though....havent opend the box yet :tu:) if theyre not all included im returning it though. Sounds like the game itself isent done to well...

*shrugs* il know tonight at any rate <_<

Game is good. No more Games for Windows Live. Most active players play Retribution. You can play campaign with 6 different races. One new map for The Last Stand, one new hero. Two new items for every character in TLS.

Great game.

yea i just noticed that no games for live part :( kinda a shame since ive always played with friends and we communicated through that...i dont have their steam accounts <_<

dont understand why people hate windows live so much btw. is there some reason its so widely loathed??

yea i just noticed that no games for live part :) kinda a shame since ive always played with friends and we communicated through that...i dont have their steam accounts :lol:

dont understand why people hate windows live so much btw. is there some reason its so widely loathed??

It is system intrusive, and comes with excessive contractural obligations*.

* = Examples include not allowing custom badges online (which is why you couldn't in the previous DoW2 titles), and doubling waiting times for patches (because Microsoft's people had to check them before they'd allow them to be hosted).

DoW 2 and Chaos Rising are much better. The few improvements over the previous games just don't add anything really meaningful. The campaign is merely tacked on and doesn't add much to the Blood Raven story...it's more remarkable for its omissions (most of the characters). Character interactions aren't very meaningful either...one doesn't even bother to talk for most of the game.

Gear acquisition isn't particularly rewarding, and neither is the redesigned skill point allocation. The game is less difficult even though you have fewer core marines. AI is hit and miss. Tanks are made of paper. They added the Land Raider, but that's about the least interesting vehicle they could've added.

...don't really care about the other campaigns. They should've spent their energy on making the Angelos vs Kyras story a lot more interesting. Leave the multiple campaign stuff for DoW 3...DoW 2 should've been all about the force commander.

the Blood Raven story...it's more remarkable for its omissions (most of the characters).

I agree with you, Cadorius, that the plot is quite poor in comparison to the excellent Chaos Rising, but this quote is completely incorrect. The only three missing Blood Ravens are Thule, Avitus and Thaddeus. Martellus, Angelos, Cyrus, Tarkus, Orion and Diomedes are all in, and there are no other named Blood Ravens (excluding any from the awful novels) who are still alive.

As for the RPG mechanics, I do feel that they've been somewhat... dumbed down.

Ork campaign is funny, though.

the Blood Raven story...it's more remarkable for its omissions (most of the characters).

I agree with you, Cadorius, that the plot is quite poor in comparison to the excellent Chaos Rising, but this quote is completely incorrect. The only three missing Blood Ravens are Thule, Avitus and Thaddeus. Martellus, Angelos, Cyrus, Tarkus, Orion and Diomedes are all in, and there are no other named Blood Ravens (excluding any from the awful novels) who are still alive.

As for the RPG mechanics, I do feel that they've been somewhat... dumbed down.

Ork campaign is funny, though.

Thule is there man, just check the first Chaos Campaing mission.

Ran

He's there, but not as far as the SM campaign is concerned. Jonah may be there as well, but he doesn't exactly contribute a whole lot. The tutorial was a nice tie-in for the conclusion of the game, though.

Blood Ravens weren't the only ones missing, either. Derosa is an important part of the DoW 2 story. They even have you go out of your way to save her at the end of Chaos Rising, which is a blatant set-up for her appearance in the next game... otherwise that mission served no purpose. It's sort of like making a big deal out of saving Trinity in Matrix 2 only to give her a stupid death in Matrix 3.

Avitus doesn't even really count. They weren't clear about who the traitor was in Chaos Rising, and the default wasn't Avitus. Just saying "oh yeah, by the way, it was Avitus" is pretty weak. The traitor should've been dealt with in Retribution (Aurelia was merely a setback!). Personally, I think Thaddeus would've been a much better choice.

On another note, I've never been a fan of flamers in these games, but after giving one to Apollo, it's not going to be easy replacing it with anything other than another flamer (started a new SM campaign).

We're running another Dawn of War II - Retribution tournament on Thursday 19th May.

The tournament is open to UK players over 16 years old only and there are 32 places available.

If you want to have a go then you can sign up here.

First place gets a £20 Amazon voucher! :(

• 2 months later...

Huzza! The guys who made the Firestorm over Kronos TT mod released an alpha version of Warpstorm over Aurelia for DoW:R. Tons of new units in PA (loyal and chaos), here are my favourite ones:

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/th_1.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/th_2.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/th_3.jpg

The mod is a bit rough around the edges (alpha!), but the revamped battle and upgrade system is great and a lot of fun to play. Now I only need to find a map big enough for a whole company to fit in :)

Archived