Obsidian Tears

Neisseria

Last revision 2nd October 2010.

Updates: Added third company.

Currently working on: Padding out the IA in general. Suggestions welcome.

[size=6; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">

Obsidian Tears

[/size]

Tactical Marine

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/Bogieman2000/OTtac-1.png
Founding: 26th

Gene-seed: Raven Guard

Homeworld: The Catacombs on Stygia

Chapter Master: Caleb Avernus

Battlecry: Mors vincit omnia (“Death conquers all”)

The Obsidian Tears Chapter was formed during the 26th Founding in 738.M41 and was based upon gene-seed taken originally from the Raven Guard. It was originally tasked with defending a subsector on the border between the Segmentum Tempestus and Ultima Segmentum in the wake of terrible Necron attacks there that had decimated another Space Marine Chapter (its name conveniently missing from all records) and several Imperial Guard installations. The Obsidian Tears have always shared the leadership of their companies more loosely than the average Chapter. During the Chapter's formation (and proving), knowing that the standard Raven Guard tactic of lightning assaults would not work as effectively against enemies that could lay in their thousands beneath entire planets, the Obsidian Tears instead concentrated on occupying a small system in the centre of the subsector. This system contained the barren and barely-habitable Tomb World, Stygia. A strong-willed but unorthodox Sternguard Veteran Sergeant called Caleb Avernus was placed in command of the assault, and it was the decision of Avernus to entrench and continually repel the Necron forces without any major offensives until such time as the Chapter's Techmarines could locate the enemy's primary tomb complex.

“Brothers! Today we fight not for honour or glory, but for a very world to call our own. Steel yourselves. Succumb not to the rage of hate, nor the recklessness of vengeance. Let not a single one amongst you fall. My orders are simple: you will hold. You will seek guidance from the Emperor, you will find trust in your battle-brothers, but most of all, this day and forevermore, you will hold!”

– Chapter Master Caleb Avernus, during the Stygian campaign.

The Chapter Master joined the entire second company in the defence of an extensive Imperial city that had been built underground centuries earlier. Meanwhile, he sent dozens of smaller strike forces, led by first company Veterans, against targets across the planet's surface. Each one dug into whatever human installations they uncovered, and the Chapter waited. Within a few days, the first attacks came in force, and the enemy soon seemed infinite. Wave upon wave of fearless Necron warriors and terrifying war machines were sent against the Obsidian Tears. The Space Marines held firm, defending carefully against each one, and striking back with significant assaults only when victory was certain. Necrons phased out by the thousands, only to be reassembled and reborn time and time again. Before long, the ingenious plan of Caleb Avernus was revealed to the rest of his commanders. With the help of his Techmarines, over the course of many months during which the Obsidian Tears had fought to defend themselves, Avernus had managed to trace the location to which the Necrons had repeatedly teleported for their repairs. Then, as one, the Chapter descended into the tunnels beneath Stygia and scoured them clean in a prolonged offensive. Within a week, the Space Marines had purged the planet of its infestation. Avernus was unanimously nominated as Chapter Master and the nascent Chapter looked to him to rebuild the underground city. Gathering promising recruits from the rest of the subsector, Avernus did just that.

Avernus has taken well to his leadership role. He speaks with equal parts ferocity and reverence to the Emperor, and is proud of everything his Chapter has accomplished since its founding several centuries ago. Under his command, the Chapter has grown to full strength and is now pushing further out into the subsector to liberate it, one planet at a time. Unlike many Chapter Masters, Avernus frequently joins his battle-brothers in even minor conflicts, and his troops benefit greatly from this.

Now, the subterranean Imperial hive (renamed the Catacombs) serves as the Chapter's Fortress-Monastery. It is to here that the Chapter's recruits are brought for torturous training in the mental and physical deprivation required to outlast major sieges. The Obsidian Tears are amongst the most steadfast and immovable soldiers in the galaxy, and in the years since their founding, have lent their expertise in defence to the Emperor's cause in many great campaigns.

Combat Doctrine

Scouts in the Obsidian Tears Chapter are recruited almost exclusively from the subsector surrounding Stygia and brought to the Catacombs for their initial training. Deep within the bowels of the planet, Scouts are sent on eerie salvage missions in the corridors and tunnels beneath the Imperial city, and occasionally partake in “kill or be killed” simulations usually involving a Scout squad and a single Veteran Space Marine. Such behaviour not only promotes a deep bond and understanding between members of each unit, but also allows the Scouts to master the emotions of anger and anxiety. In war, the Chapter’s Scouts act fairly traditionally, often entering contested zones ahead of the main force in order to locate defensible positions. One unusual duty assigned to experienced Scouts is the so-called “pallbearer mission” in which fallen battle-brothers’ equipment and armour are retrieved from the battlefield, sometimes long after the Obsidian Tears have been forced to advance or retreat from the site (although gene-seed is extracted at the time of death by skilled Apothecaries, as usual).

Devastator squads are highly respected among the Obsidian Tears and those who chose to remain as Devastators after their training are considered brave indeed. Appointment to a Devastator squad teaches every Marine how to hold their nerve under pressure. The hand-to-hand combat training received as a Scout is expanded upon to include trench-style warfare, as Obsidian Tears Devastators are expected to remain in position and defend it unless circumstances become impossibly dire.

By and large, Assault squads are considered support units rather than primary attackers in any conflict. Their job during a defensive mission is to move quickly along the battleline, assisting in the defence of Devastator and Tactical squads that are holding firm. Every Assault Marine receives training in the legendary eighth company, however, and so is highly skilled at entering enemy territory with Scouts (when needed) in order to clear a path for slower squads to arrive and reinforce the position.

Tactical squads are a combination of the above; they are able to hold firm along a gunline, as well as advance carefully and resolutely towards any goal. Tactical Marines use their training as Devastators to hold their ground, and their training in Assault squads to know when is the right time to push forward and deliver a decisive blow that will crumble an enemy’s attack. It is usually the Tactical Marines that ultimately break an enemy force’s resolve.

Despite the fact that the Obsidian Tears do not follow the Raven Guard doctines to the letter, they have learned the art of surprise. In recent years, for example, an Ork attack on the subsector was deflected by the Obsidian Tears due to their ability to “play dead” and strike when the enemy believed itself to be victorious. Indeed, this is the origin of the Obsidian Tears' motto and battle cry. Furthermore, when necessary, the Obsidian Tears are able to deploy rapidly from orbit (usually aboard their battle barge, the Enmity of Darkness, or strike cruisers, the Requiem for Eternity and Silent Litany), making good use of drop pods as is traditional for descendants of the Raven Guard. In this way the Chapter may retake and cleanse even the most dangerous of enemy-infested installations.

Beliefs and Practices

Memento Mori

Sternguard Veteran

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/Bogieman2000/OTsternvet-1.png

Each of the chapter's Veterans attaches parchment scrolls to his armour that list the names of those who have died whilst under his command. Each night, during final prayer, the Marine reads these names aloud to honour their memory. The tradition is carried out by almost every sergeant and ranking officer, including the Chapter Master himself, who lists the names of every single death in the chapter's history. Every death is remembered because of the value the Marines place on the lives of their battle-brothers; should a Marine fall, not only does the Chapter’s honour suffer, but also, the fallen Marine’s objective becomes harder to achieve by his surviving squadmates. With this in mind, it is generally accepted that no Obsidian Tears Space Marine will give his life except in the direst of circumstances, and thus, each death is worthy of mourning. The only Marines exempt from this practice are the Chapter's chaplains, who instead taunt the names of the heretics they have killed, in a tradition originally founded to ensure that the spirits of the Emperor's enemies can never find true peace. The Chapter’s skull-faced chaplains are therefore viewed as being “above death” in the same way the Grim Reaper might be.

Stygian Artefacts

Much of the immense underworld city beneath the surface of planet Stygia is unexplored; great automated defence systems now ensure that no evil can ascend from below to attack the Marines of the Catacombs. Occasionally, though, rumour passes among the chapter serfs that a region of forgotten archeotech has been uncovered. More often than not, these rumours lead to nothing more than Necron ruins that are quickly obliterated. Every once in a while, though, a cache of ammunition or weaponry is unearthed by the Chapter’s Scouts. Just as the Chapter venerates its fallen warriors, so too does it attempt to honour this buried wargear by bringing it to life once more. Two of the most famous finds thus far were the Perdition of Orpheus, an ornate and devastating storm bolter now wielded by the Chapter Master, and an ancient Dreadnought husk abandoned by the previous Chapter on Stygia during their shameful retreat (or destruction). Curiously, the Dreadnought’s markings and sarcophagus seem to have been scoured by Necron claws and Imperial weapons alike, as though the city itself refuses to speak of the Chapter lost here. The Dreadnought's armour lies rusted and desecrated, but the Techmarines of the Obsidian Tears are working tirelessly to restore its slumbering machine spirit in the hope that such a valuable relic can be put to good use once more.

The Emperor

The Obsidian Tears believe that the Emperor has experienced the touch of death and has returned from its clutches, and as such, is the only being in the galaxy that truly knows what lies beyond the grave. They believe that his psychic beacon is a light by which they will guide themselves after death, but that his grace has the power to turn aside any mortal wound should the bearer be deserving. Thus the Emperor is at once a psychopomp and demigod, his all-seeing eyes both revered and feared alike by the Chapter’s members. All trust, however, that the Emperor will judge a fallen Marine not upon his life directly, but on the impact he has had on those left behind, as a reflection of his deeds. This is another important reason for the sentiments the Chapter cult places on remembering the dead.

The Objective

The commanders of the Obsidian Tears are constantly searching for the reason they were sent into this region of space in the first place; they call this the Objective. Unnamed and remote, the subsector seems relatively low-priority, yet several Imperial colonies and an entire Space Marine Chapter have been sent here to their deaths in the past. The Obsidian Tears are not blind to the fact that their Chapter was created with the sole purpose of taking back this subsector for the Imperium, and so carry out their duty unquestioningly, but some in the Chapter are anxious to discover the truth behind the Imperial obsession here.

Organisation

The Obsidian Tears are unusual in that their Chapter Master traditionally leads the second company. In a way, the first company is a theoretical necessity only, and its Veterans are permanently divided among the other battle companies on active duty. This way, the Obsidian Tears ensure that the entire Chapter receives the benefit of morale and discipline provided by fighting alongside the most experienced warriors in the Chapter, and the nascent Chapter’s lack (though not absence) of Terminator armour and other ancient relics is perhaps less of a weakness.

The Chapter is known throughout the surrounding systems as a force capable of defending any point against armies that greatly outnumber and outmanoeuvre them. Members of the Obsidian Tears' second company are designated the Custodians, as this company is tasked with the Chapter's most perilous defensive missions. Many great campaigns in recent years have been won in part due to the Obsidian Tears' ability to hold a vital objective, be it an invaluable structure or an entire planet. Whilst the second company is commanded primarily by Chapter Master Avernus himself, high-ranking members of other companies are often granted the chance to fight with the Custodians in order to learn techniques and add their own unique wisdom to a conflict.

The third company “Tantalans” are noteworthy for their Captain and Master of the Armoury, Nathaniel Kaledar, who is one of the Chapter's most determined seekers of the Objective. Most recently, a large task force led by Kaledar was deployed to explore the Space Hulk Harbinger of Sorrow. The Harbinger's existence and regular appearance in the subsector was previously unknown to the Obsidian Tears, and is expected to hold ancient and valuable clues.

The eighth company is made up of reserve Assault Squads, as is traditional for a codex Space Marine Chapter. In the case of the Obsidian Tears, the Assault Reserve is led by Conscindus Nevermore, the only member of the Raven Guard to have remained with the Obsidian Tears after the nascent Chapter's training. True to the philosophies of the Raven Guard, Nevermore ensures that every member of the Chapter to pass under him is trained in the hit-and-run tactics often necessary for breaking sieges and making planetfall in enemy territory. Caleb Avernus values this ideology greatly, and has recently decreed that all new recruits should serve a term of service in the eighth company immediately after they complete their Devastator training. Many even choose to return to Nevermore's ranks eventually, and such individuals tend to become Vanguard Veterans highly prized for the knowledge and understanding they can share with the Chapter's other companies.

Well I've had only a cursory scan so far but there are two things that I must mention that I noticed. On two occasions you state that you Chapter Master does things different to most Chapters. I must disagree on both. Firstly you state that your Chapter Master often goes to combat, unlike most other Chapter Masters. I beleive every Chapter Master still goes to war. Excuse me from using the Ultramarines here but, sa the apparent poster boys of the 40k I feel the comparrison is appropriate. A quick read of the Codex:SM will show that Marneus Calgar has basically fought in every battle across the Imperium since he made Chapter Master. As most Chapters follow the Codex and the Ultra are the embodiment of the Codex I see most Chapter follwing suit. Same wit hthe Chapter Master not leading the 1st. I believe most Chapters hold the position of Chapter MAster seperate from 1st COmpany Captain, as per Marneus and Agemmon (or however its spelt). Although it is often mentioned as some Chapters do I cant think of one off the top of my head that does actually have the Chapter Master as the leader of the First Company.

That said I think the idea of the Chapter Master leading the Second Company is quite original and a sweet idea. Also the idea of the Chapter trying to figure out why it was sent to the area, although I'd think the Imperium might give them a clue. My question is do you know the reason why and if so, it might pay to throw in some hints throughout the IA. Of course you may have already done this and I am just to tired to pick them out. Anyway, there are some great ideas here and I look forward to seeing them developed.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the B&C and Liber. I'll give the standard advice here as well: If you haven't already read the DIY Guide at the top of the forum, its a great read and highly useful.

Well I've had only a cursory scan so far but there are two things that I must mention that I noticed. On two occasions you state that you Chapter Master does things different to most Chapters. I must disagree on both. Firstly you state that your Chapter Master often goes to combat, unlike most other Chapter Masters. I beleive every Chapter Master still goes to war. Excuse me from using the Ultramarines here but, sa the apparent poster boys of the 40k I feel the comparrison is appropriate. A quick read of the Codex:SM will show that Marneus Calgar has basically fought in every battle across the Imperium since he made Chapter Master. As most Chapters follow the Codex and the Ultra are the embodiment of the Codex I see most Chapter follwing suit. Same wit hthe Chapter Master not leading the 1st. I believe most Chapters hold the position of Chapter MAster seperate from 1st COmpany Captain, as per Marneus and Agemmon (or however its spelt). Although it is often mentioned as some Chapters do I cant think of one off the top of my head that does actually have the Chapter Master as the leader of the First Company.

You're right. What I mean to say is that the Chapter Master likes to get involved in "minor" conflicts more often than most other CMs. In other words, he's just as happy training new recruits as leading massive battles, etc. As both he and the Chapter are fairly young, I thought it was appropriate to have him feel a little less like a legendary strategist and more like a "really good leader of his troops from the ground up" if you see what I mean. Do you think the IA can be adjusted with this in mind or is this concept just a lost cause?

That said I think the idea of the Chapter Master leading the Second Company is quite original and a sweet idea. Also the idea of the Chapter trying to figure out why it was sent to the area, although I'd think the Imperium might give them a clue. My question is do you know the reason why and if so, it might pay to throw in some hints throughout the IA. Of course you may have already done this and I am just to tired to pick them out. Anyway, there are some great ideas here and I look forward to seeing them developed.

I originally designed this "mystery" because I was in the process of writing a short story that dealt with the Chapter (and it seemed a sensible reason for the formation of a new Chapter too). Since I also play Tyranids, I was going to tie it into some sort of Imperial experimentation with the 'Nids that causes a breakout of epic proportions, similar to the Forgeworld book (though I forget the name now). So in short, I do have ideas, but you're right, I should probably work on this section and/or the rest and put in some hints.

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the B&C and Liber. I'll give the standard advice here as well: If you haven't already read the DIY Guide at the top of the forum, its a great read and highly useful.

Thanks! And thanks again for your comments. When I posted I hadn't actually realised that it was my first post (as I've lurked here for years!) so I am fairly familiar with the guides and so on. I'll be re-reading them over the next few weeks though, now I've finally summoned up the courage to post this. Glad it wasn't a total disaster :lol:

Not a bad read, not bad at all.

A bit short though, and I'm not sure why your chapter master has his own section.

Remember, he himself is not important to the IA, it's the effects he has on the chapter.

As regards founding, the 26th is immensely popular. If you want to do something different, go for a few earlier - they're almost forgotten. :lol:

If you're concerned about the name of Stygia, mix it up a bit and add a few letters. Gystia or Stygarium, for examples. (You can use either if they take your fancy)

You could also drop the sub-headers in the organisation section. I'd also make a term of service in the 8th company mandatory, and maybe have it so the members of the 8th often associate with other companies and augment their attack forces, so they get more opportunity to hone their hit-n-run style.

Apart from that, the only problem is that there's not enough of it! :ermm:

Thanks for the comments. I'll do a revision over the weekend and hopefully fill it out a bit more (and change some of the things that need changing).

In case people haven't noticed, there's an ongoing discussion about the name of my Chapter in the "MIA Chapters" thread here - so the name may eventually be altered. I'm very happy to take suggestions on renaming, but I'd like to keep the theme of Obsidian (being dark [colour scheme], sharp [RG successors] and generally a nice image).

An alternative name I was toying with was "Scions of Obsidian" but not sure if it sounds ok, or too tongue-twisty. It would be nice to keep a heavily gothic or religious theme due to the chapter's rituals for naming their dead on armour etc (which I'll flesh out some more soon). People's opinions are most welcome, but I'm being deliberately fussy about it :ermm:

EDIT: Thinking about it, if I change the founding to 25th (in response to Necrons etc etc) then it fits the backstory much better, and the Tyranids I mentioned in the post above could just as easily be Necrons, although not too sure about Imperial experiments on them...

EDIT 2: Thinking some more, though, I'd like my Chapter Master to be the original leader of the Chapter and still be fairly young (and our games are set in "recent" times, i.e. late M41). I guess that necessitates the 26th founding.

I know where you're coming from on this. I had a DIY a few years back for whom I had come up with some (what i thought to be) great fluff and color scheme, the Symbol being the bit i was most proud of. Problem was, even after painting a 20 something of the little guys and pondering for months, I could never find a name for them which satisfied me. So, the poor nameless ones have since been stripped and lovingly reincarnated as Black Templars :P.

I'd be happy to help, but as things currently stand I do not get a real feel for the disposition of your chapter. I like the clever little bit about the Catacombs, and the custom of taunting fallen enemies is a creative bit to be proud of. But overall, I don't quite see why "Obsidian Tears" was fitting to begin with. Obsidian seems to fit only in regard to the colors, while "Tears" brings an image of woe, sorrow, pity, or remorse: none of which seem to really identify these lot to any extreme.

The closest correlation I can make to the second half of their name would be in the reading of the fallen brothers. When I heard "Obsidian Tears," it gave an image similar to that of the old phrase "crocodile tears," meaning false sentiments of pity from a pitiless creature (in case the phrase is as outdated as I think it is). At best, this would fit the Chaplains and their ritual taunts.

But anyway, to the point, I'd be happy to help, but a bit more food for thought is needed. How about, in as few words as possible, you describe the chapter's disposition. It's a useful writing exercise to try and break down your thoughts into the simplest, purest form you can, and then grow from there. For instance, with my IA Chapter: The Saviors, in its earliest stages was described as "determined optimists," and from there I worked on just how this defined, and shaped the chapter's beliefs and goals.

Think long and hard on this exercise before you decide. And don't try to make the description itself sound cool- it's meant to inspire the Chapter's name, not be it. Best of luck, and keep the ball rolling so we can help push it down the right path :tu:

The closest correlation I can make to the second half of their name would be in the reading of the fallen brothers.

Firstly, thanks for the comments, and that's a really good idea about coming up with a short description - that might help a lot. As you say, I'll think carefully about it.

The above line is exactly the angle I was going for with "Tears" but I absolutely agree that it's not perfectly fitting. You bring up a good point with Crocodile Tears, which makes me want to avoid the word even more! I also see it as a fairly weak word for what should be a proud Chapter. Essentially I want them to honour their brothers' sacrifices, as though every single death was important (I'll update some of the background with reasons for that, but it relates in part to the idea that none of them believe they should fall while defending a post, as it would weaken both their Chapter's name and also their own squad's chances of success - but to die is not viewed as failure as such; since every Marine knows the cost of death and fights so hard against it, it is considered a significant blow worthy of rememberance should one of them fall).

I've tried coming up with lots of funerary words, such as lament, requiem, litany... But none of them work very well in the plural form and I'd quite like to use "Obsidian Somethings" or "Somethings Obsidian". The Chapter is, at its heart, introspective and quietly respectful of its abilities (although certainly not as insular as other Chapters; they are, on the contrary, very "out there" in their little subsector and widely respected - even legendary - to the few locals who have heard about them or fought alongside them). I hope to add more rituals directly related to respecting the fallen over time.

Obsidian Hearts?

Philip

....hm. Simple, but really, it has a solid ring to it: "We are Astartes, His Angels of Death. A warrior must steel his heart; turn it black as the Sacred Stone and cold as ice, for his enemies must see no weakness. Even so, to harden one's heart is not the same as removing it. Savor and honor it, if only in private, for without our Humanity, we are naught but beasts." ~Chaplain Bob

:lol: I might stow this one in my "To-Do" file if Neisseria doesn't like it ;) .

Not bad, and I love the quote, Firepower! However I can't help but feel the word "hearts" is a little too fluffy, even if done in the right context? Is there anything similar that sounds fiercer? Obsidian Souls...? Hmm.

I've updated the IA too, for those who are following its progress.

Why would you ever, ever, ever change the name of this chapter? The only reason why I commented because I saw the name and thought 'Whoever came up with that name is a genius, because it's SO COOL'

Seriously, if you don't want the name, I'll rename one of my later IAs (or ITs) Obsidian Tears. I cannot think of a reason why you wouldn't want this name.

/rant

Also, I really think you should do Third - Fourth founding, and make all the Chapter Masters from the same geneseed, with the captain of the first temporarily taking command while the next successor is being created.

Oh, blast, realized why you would change the name. I say don't do it. The chapter is missing, let it stay missing, while it's gone your chapter can take it's place.

Why would you ever, ever, ever change the name of this chapter? The only reason why I commented because I saw the name and thought 'Whoever came up with that name is a genius, because it's SO COOL'

Seriously, if you don't want the name, I'll rename one of my later IAs (or ITs) Obsidian Tears. I cannot think of a reason why you wouldn't want this name.

Oh, blast, realized why you would change the name. I say don't do it. The chapter is missing, let it stay missing, while it's gone your chapter can take it's place.

Well since you put it that way... Maybe I should just persevere with it... Need more opinions from people! Thanks for the comments anyway, they're appreciated :)

Also, I really think you should do Third - Fourth founding, and make all the Chapter Masters from the same geneseed, with the captain of the first temporarily taking command while the next successor is being created.

That's a really interesting idea. Forgive my ignorance on the subject but is this a common way to keep a Chapter Master "up and running" over time? Furthermore can I do the same for the Captain of the eighth company? It's important for various reasons (not least of all because it links into a Necromunda campaign I run with friends) that he's one of the original Raven Guard Marines that trained the Chapter. At what point does it become too far-fetched? I'd love to get a range of people's opinions on this too.

As I understand it, this is not a way to "keep the Chapter master up and running." Gene seeds carry the legacy of the Primarch, not so much the individual it grows in. Taking the progenoid from a dead chapter master and putting it in a new recruit would not make convey to him any of the experience, knowledge, skill or wisdom from the Master. You just get another scout.

That's not to say a Chapter wouldnt do this for some symbolic purpose. Perhaps they feel the progenoid is as essential to the identity of a marine as his own personality. They may see it as some form of reincarnation in this sense. Even so, it wouldnt make sense to go 2-300 years at a time without an official chapter master while you waited for his new incarnation to come of age (assuming he survives that long). Replacing him with the First Company Captain for an interim period wouldn't really solve the problem: after all, what happens when the Captain dies, do you wait for his next incarnation?

As for the name, I'm still fond of Obsidian Hearts ;) . "Heart" isn't that soft of a term, especially considering the prefix of "Obsidian": a black, cold, lifeless rock. After all, no one looks at Huron Blackheart and goes "Ha, 'heart,' what a pansy." And if they do, he rips their head off with his huge hand and roasts it with the flamer in his palm. Not so soft to me.

That's what I was thinking about the Chapter Master. No luck there then I guess. While the symbolic aspect would be nice, it just doesn't really work out in terms of what I've had planned. I think part of the problem is that I'm just writing this IA now but a lot of the themes of the Chapter (including the CM) have been in play for years with my friends and I - it's easy to change minor things such as Chapter rituals and beliefs, but difficult to change entire characters who already have backstory etc. We tend to run very narrative campaigns (tabletop RPG background and all that).

I think a name like "Blackheart" just sounds vastly different to "the Something Hearts" - I do appreciate the point, but I just can't help but hear things like "The Darling Hearts" or "The Sweethearts" when I think of it ;) You're welcome to use Obsidian Hearts for your own IA of course!

Here's a list of the names I've been considering. The closest to the army's theme so far is probably Obsidian Litany, but I'm fairly sure there's a perfect word out there somewhere and I just have to find it!

Singular Names

Obsidian Litany - this one's ok but not sure if it works as a Chapter name

Obsidian Testament

Obsidian Liturgy

Obsidian Requiem

Obsidian Guard - would be great, but taken, so doesn't solve the original problem

Plural Names

Obsidian Saints

Obsidian Scribes

Obsidian Guardians

Obsidian Memories - this is nicely thematic, but needs a better word than "memories"

Obsidian Tears - taken

Angels Obsidian - taken

Obsidian Scions - good, but scions of what/who...?

Obsidian Wardens

Indeed. I keep rolling these names around on my tongue and I just can't seem to decide on any one in particular. I do like how Scions sounds, but it's not very thematic (even if it does imply Scions of Obsidian and all that entails, i.e. cold, hard, etc). This decision is turning out to be much harder than I ever thought it would be...

Well since you put it that way... Maybe I should just persevere with it... Need more opinions from people! Thanks for the comments anyway, they're appreciated ^_^

Persevere! It's so cool... :rolleyes:

That's a really interesting idea. Forgive my ignorance on the subject but is this a common way to keep a Chapter Master "up and running" over time? Furthermore can I do the same for the Captain of the eighth company? It's important for various reasons (not least of all because it links into a Necromunda campaign I run with friends) that he's one of the original Raven Guard Marines that trained the Chapter. At what point does it become too far-fetched? I'd love to get a range of people's opinions on this too.

Nope, but if you like him that much, it would add some character and flavor to the chapter, especially if you throw some Hinduistic based beliefs.

That, and have them not like Dreads because interring them keeps them from their next life, and make apothecaries especially reknowned because they allow the warrior to live on...

Sorry, I'll leave the writing to you. Just feeding ideas.

Obsidian is a very seksy word to name a chapter... I'm almost tempted to rename my chapter the Obsidian Eagles... :ermm:

Jk ;)

Well, I've got few ideas from my immediate lexicon to throw in:

Obsidan Skulls/ Skulls of Obsidian

Obsidian Spears/ Spears Obsidian

Arbiters Obsidian/ Obsidian Arbiters

Marines Obsidian (why hasn't nobody thought of that! :P )

Obsidian Spectres

Death Obsidian

Storm Obsidian

Obsidian Executionors

After thinking/looking at the word obsidian so much, I'm actually kind of dizzy!

Obsidian is a very seksy word to name a chapter... I'm almost tempted to rename my chapter the Obsidian Eagles... :P

Jk ;)

Well, I've got few ideas from my immediate lexicon to throw in:

Obsidan Skulls/ Skulls of Obsidian

Obsidian Spears/ Spears Obsidian

Arbiters Obsidian/ Obsidian Arbiters

Marines Obsidian (why hasn't nobody thought of that! :P )

Obsidian Spectres

Death Obsidian

Storm Obsidian

Obsidian Executionors

After thinking/looking at the word obsidian so much, I'm actually kind of dizzy!

Now you know how I feel! Thanks for the ideas. I like the sound of Arbiters, but the connotations are a bit less punchy than I would have liked. Also things like Spectres is very good for the death imagery, but ghosts/wraiths/spectres feel a bit "insubstantial" for a Chapter that's less about the stealth and more about the solid defending, which is why I've been avoiding them in my list. By the end of this everyone will have taken all the good names with Obsidian in them! :)

So, I am jumping to the end to see if I can help. Is it:

A.) Tears, as in a rip or slash in something, like a fabric?

B.) Tears, as in the liquid that emerges from the eyeballs during times of duress or joy?

Option B - as in sorrow, mourning, loss, etc.

New naming idea: What do people think of Obsidian Choir? Choir as in "a type of angels" and thus Obsidian Choir being angels that are particularly dark. Also "Obsidian Choir" as in the song made by a lot of black coloured birds... So fits Raven Guard successors. Don't particularly like the word though! Other new ideas: Obsidian Sepulchre, Obsidian Eulogy...

Damn, I'm fussy. Sorry everyone. I feel like I'm being really ungrateful now, you've all made some great suggestions and I'm turning them all down! Please don't think I'm doing it lightly. I just know that the perfect word is out there somewhere and soon one of us will figure it out :)

I'm still liking Obsidian Litany, if only "the Obsidian Litanies" sounded half as good when said out loud!

Thought this deserved an extra reply rather than an edit of my previous post - Philip has graciously decided to use my Obsidian Tears over the other in the gallery, so I'll be sticking with this name.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed alternative names, and for those who found something they liked, go have fun making those Chapters! :verymad:

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for comments on my actual IA article, so please do check it out and suggest ways I could improve it.

Archived