Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GK Army: 1000 + 1500 + 2000 variants

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

bulley

bulley

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts
Good afternoon all,

Had an extremely slow day at work, so was working on my list (just to give myself a bit more aim with the final purchases I need). Think I've got a fairly solid water list for 1000 and 1500 but a bit unsure beyond that. So any C&C / Advice that can be given would be great. An here goes, the list;

1000 Points:

HQ:
GK BC -
w/ Psycannon, Hammerhand

TROOPS:
x1 Justicar
x5 PAGK
w/ Incinerator

x1 Justicar
x5 PAGK
w/ Incinerator

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Godhammer LC
w/ Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers

Godhammer LC

At this stage I am up 13 points, not sure if to add in some piece of wargear that will help. I feel this is a very solid setup that I can really play well (it has the same feeling/tactical base to an army I did about 10 years ago).

Next incriment:

1500:

HQ Retinue:
x4 GKT's
w/ 1 Incinerator

TROOPS:
x1 PAGK
x1 PAGK
(add x1 to each squad)

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Godhammer LC

This comes in just over 500 points, but with the extra points from before I am about 1495 total here, give or take. My major concern at this stage is that I am running with 19 models and 3 tanks at 1500, and my HQ is a 1 wound sarge really (as good as a BC is). The option I feel to make way for the 81 points I need is to drop x1 GKT and the x2 PAGK's that I was adding, and thus recieve the GM upgrade, but also cutting my model count down to 16 (x4 "terms", x12 PAGK), and also recieving no extra scoring units.

I am pretty confident that its a strong 1500 list either way, just advice at this stage would be massive (though the only part for me to balk on buying would be the 3rd LC, other than that I need all the models anyway - and even then, the 3rd LC would certainly make an apperance at 1750, 1850 or 2000).

2000:

This is where I become a bit unstuck. With 500 points my theory really was to get some troops down, and with the x3 HS already taken with the LC's, I have no options for mobility really, so thus the most mobile units become the deep strikers (FA or Elites). At this stage I was contemplating opening up the barriers to Sisters (which I am also collecting) or then looking at Stormtroopers in Rhino's (which I do plan on having as standby's in both SoB / GK's).

1st Option: If I go for the extra bodies, I can ram in either x20 SOB's w/ rhino's (give or take 20, maybe 18 or 19 for point trimming) and x5 seraphim's.

2nd Option: Alternativily, can keep it to the GK Codex w/ some stromtroopers in Rhino's (though not adverse to buying chimera's) and then adding a few more PAGK's.

3rd option: Keeping the GK theme, Adding a GKT full squad as an elite w/ a BC for deep striking. And adding a PAGK squad (x5) either as a footslogging troop (maybe try and find points for psycannon if this the case) or as a fast attack to also DS. Also, if I had not already upgraded to a GM, I would at this stage.

All 3 scenarios can be done within 500 points, I believe.

Cheers in advanced.

And please, if you've had experience with any of these situations or play similar list/variants, share, would be massivily helpful.

Edited by bulley, 09 September 2010 - 04:34 PM.

bulley

bulley

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts
Some play testing to be done today, my first 40K games in 10years.

Will be up against BA's (JP / Dante or Astorath efforts), Deathwing and regular SM's (depending on how many games we can fit in). 1000 points most likely, unless we use proxies.

Did some mock fights last night to remind myself of some of the rules (which probably will mean I only get 1 or 2 games in really). Did learn that GKT's are BRUTAL in assault, but need to stay disciplined and try and avoid assaulting and locking up my PAGK's as much as possible, since this is 1000 point game I wont be using the GKT's (except a BC).

Really looking forward to it!

bulley

bulley

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts
Well just finished the first game with this list;

1000 points as above vs 1000 BA's (Astorath, Libby, x5 & x5 RAS, x5 SG, x2 SP's)

I lost horribly, but majority was completely due to forgetting/rusty with rules and helping out the BA guy way to much (I know the rules for him much better). I know my mistakes, we are expanding to 1500 so enter another LC and some terms this time, vs his terms and x2 dreads (or should I say my terms and dreads lol). Should be interesting, lets see if I can keep moving and avoid getting in combat this game with the charge.

bulley

bulley

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts
2nd Game won, fairly comfortably.

I lost 1 PAGK squad and its land raider (1st inferno pistol shot and it gets wrecked, then get charged and demolished by Dante, Libby and the Sang Guard) The terms and other PAKG spent the game harassing the assault squads. LR's were the MVP's, absolutely locked down the 2 dreads, and doing the majority of the work on the terms in the early game.

Much prefered the 1500 list with the 3LR's and terms, felt much more comfortable.

Mani

Mani

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Maybe I'm the only one, but I have never had a psycannon captain make his points back. For your 1000-pt list, I'd say drop that psycannon and buy an extra body.

Vantius

Vantius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 392 posts
Your lists look pretty solid.

What mission did you play in the second match? Do you see yourself suffering in objective missions with only 2 troops?

I can see how your lists would do very well with the other missions.

bulley

bulley

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 351 posts
I think the mission was KP's I want to say.

I've hardly touched my GK army since Sept - been doing BA mech since then. Prob around Jan I'll pick up my GK's again for the odd game to get used to having only a few models on the table.

With so few scoring its a case of being clever with objectives. If its a 3 or 4 objective game I'll try to end up with the PAGK's in a the Land Raiders on 2 home objectives, and sort of "come and get me" while trying to contest with the 3rd LR and terms. In bigger objective games I'll target troops a bit more, try and move him into positions he can get to objectives etc...

I find it part of the fun of GK's - opposed to my mech BA's which right now are basically blasting everyone off the table at my LGS.

The only thing putting me off restarting my GK's is the fact that EVERYONE will be playing them, hopefully they all either get bored quick like they normally do (DE looked like half the store was going to do it, now theres only 2 guys, both are terrible with them).

Rakene

Rakene

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 119 posts
Why have you not bought targetters for your Justicars? 1 point to measure before I pick a target? Yes please.

Edit: If you want additional LR's in 2K, take an Inquisitor with a dedicated transport mayhaps?

Edited by Rakene, 02 January 2011 - 12:44 AM.