Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

"No backward step" is a pretty anti WS belief.

My White Scar legionnaire is a terran born, called by the men of the Rout as Lone Sparrow.

WIP

gallery_24878_5750_26541.jpg

Before...

gallery_24878_5750_23027.jpg

After...

gallery_24878_5750_18771.jpg

I'm so much happier with this version. Literally was bored last night and wanted to experiment on different looks/bits/poses. I wasn't content with the original piece, so I had him shelved. I'm also re-working my Iron Priest both on foot and on thunderwolf. I'm just waiting on bits. I'm also waiting on my wulfen bits... hopefully they come in this week so I can finish a full pack.

gallery_24878_5750_3766.jpg

.....and action! Long Fang with heavy-bolter.

gallery_24878_5750_54321.jpg

Long Fang with heavy-bolter, back shield.

gallery_24878_5750_61895.jpg

I literally just finished building this guy! please excuse the mold lines. I realized that I was lacking a Long Fang Ancient, so I decided to make one worthy of my lost company war band. At first I was half tempted to make him as something else entirely, give him a long handed thunder hammer and call him Robert Baratheon.

gallery_24878_5750_48950.jpg

OURS IS THE FURY!!! wip Long Fang Ancient. As you see his legs are made of the new Ulrik model. So I guess you can say, I've made some modifications on my own Ulrik. I'll post him once he is deemed ready and worthy...

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking!

I just finished re-reading Scars and "No backwards step" is actually the motto of a White Scar brotherhood who spent a long time campaigning along the Sons of Horus.

Largely Terran born, led by a Terran Captain,backs Horus leading up to the Heresy. Actually wages war against fellow WS in the novel.

I just finished re-reading Scars and "No backwards step" is actually the motto of a White Scar brotherhood who spent a long time campaigning along the Sons of Horus.

Largely Terran born, led by a Terran Captain,backs Horus leading up to the Heresy. Actually wages war against fellow WS in the novel.

Yup, it's a good read. I like how each legion has their own faults and that each decision made has a consequence. Loyalty to a fault and ignorant on their own.

Anyway more updates coming soon!

WIP 30K Wulfen...

gallery_24878_5750_52469.jpg

So I got some more wulfen bits in today! this is my personal homage to both the old artworks seen on the Collected Visions book and to the old metal wulfen models during the Eye of Codex supplement. I'm not a fan of the new plastic models, from the waist down its just a waste of plastic and potential. A huge disappointment and whom ever designed the models, you should be ashamed! Sadly I'm not a fan of the current wulfen plastic conversions. Using terminator legs with the new wulfen torsos doesn't look right to me. For some reason it looks just off, even if you try to add some padding... but that's just my own opinion, I've seen some people here pull it off and they have my phrase and respect.

gallery_24878_5750_34166.jpg

I literally just made him, so there is still quite a lot to clean up (mold lines) and remove (chaos icons).

gallery_24878_5750_11342.jpg

"I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice." - Wolverine

gallery_24878_5750_61242.jpg

Weapon X ?!... LMAO

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking!

WIP 30K Wulfen...

So I got some more wulfen bits in today! this is my personal homage to both the old artworks seen on the Collected Visions book and to the old metal wulfen models during the Eye of Codex supplement. I'm not a fan of the new plastic models, from the waist down its just a waste of plastic and potential. A huge disappointment and whom ever designed the models, you should be ashamed! Sadly I'm not a fan of the current wulfen plastic conversions. Using terminator legs with the new wulfen torsos doesn't look right to me. For some reason it looks just off, even if you try to add some padding... but that's just my own opinion, I've seen some people here pull it off and they have my phrase and respect.

Agree with you on the issues with the Wulfen. Very strangely designed kit and I'm not 100% down with using Terminator legs either. My FGLS has just discounted all of their AOS and Fantasy so I'm going to pick up the Blood Warrior kit and see what I can get working with those torsos and legs and just get the Wulfen heads off ebay.  I'm guessing you're using Bloodreaver torsos on your conversions?

Looks great Mav. Where is that head from? I love it!

Nurgle Putrid Blightkings

Agree with you on the issues with the Wulfen. Very strangely designed kit and I'm not 100% down with using Terminator legs either. My FGLS has just discounted all of their AOS and Fantasy so I'm going to pick up the Blood Warrior kit and see what I can get working with those torsos and legs and just get the Wulfen heads off ebay. I'm guessing you're using Bloodreaver torsos on your conversions?

I'm fairly content with my template for these Wulfen. The only thing to keep in mind while using Blood Reaver torsos, is that they don't always work well using the legs from Blood Warriors. As in symmetry and fluidity. My choices were more based on esthetics. I picked using those legs because they looked the part. The armour and the leather boots. The torsos were more for visual brutality and hulking of a space marine embracing the beast within.

The torsos and the Wulfen heads fit each other like a glove! It's as if they were made for each other. I loved the Blood Reavers so much that I've turned a few as huscarls (tech servitors) for my Iron Priest.

Lately I've been using Bitz & Kits instead of eBay. I get to specifically pick out the bits instead of buying bulk and not using them all.... I'm real picky with my work. I mainly just go with my imagination, constantly looking at new bits from FW or GW. As you can see, I have no problems redoing completed models to upgrade them with different bits until I am satisfied with it entirely.

• 2 months later...

WIP 30K Wulfen

So just a quick rant. I had put everything on hold because I thought I had lost a recent order of bits. I waited for well over a month for them. Thankfully, somehow they miraculously turned up. Now I can finally continue finishing my squad of tech servitors and wulfen pack. Hope you enjoy!

gallery_24878_5750_8039.jpg

Action pose. I still have to clean up the mold lines and remove chaos icons. But he is pretty much done.

Also, if you get a chance, please let folks know that they've screwed up the Wolf Lord of the 13 Company name in the last two codices.

Um, I can try. I should point out before I get a raft of these questions though, that us BL writers are very separate from the rest of GW. We just do our thing, independent of the design team or the central planners (except when we're brought in on projects like this one).

sorry if we've been bastards. =/

Nah, I've enjoyed reading the threads! I think maybe this is a tiny fraction of what George R. R. Martin feels when he kills someone off in Game of Thrones.

I think asking Rob what happens next is a no go. Let's just enjoy the story as it unfolds and not put the author in a difficult position legally.

@Rob - Welcome to the pack. Do you hobby and care to share any pics? :tongue.:

Yeah, I've gotta keep tight-lipped on all that stuff. And what stuff it is! As for the hobby, I have a Guard army for 40k but haven't played in years. In terms of tabletop I much preferred Fantasy (Chaos, Vampire Counts and Skaven) but have yet to find the time to transition to Age of Sigmar.

Mmm... when I got Chris to do a Q & A for his Battle of the Fang right here in the SW forum, I ended up making a SW model for my army, in honour of him. I might as well do the same for you, but he's going to be a wulfen. I just need a proper name for the guy!

Anyway, the story you've written has helped give us a new perspective, a step forward in the 40K storyline, along with an updated codex and new plastic toys. So thank you for being a part of that!

For what it's worth, the fact that you've gotten so many people here worked up, defensive, scared and excited towards our beloved chapter is a clear indication that you've done your job as a storyteller.

have a mjod on me and welcome to the Aett!

Don't worry, when NightHowler said I still write well even though he hates that I've been killing Wolves I knew everything was okay, I mean telling a story is my number one priority. And I'd slaughter every Wolf if it made me a successful writer.

And my own Wulfen? That'd be a great honour. Just make sure he's ginger :wink:

gallery_24878_5750_68942.jpg

Enjoy RobMac, he is Tormund Redpelt. Frostborn son of Fenris with a crooked smile and red hair. As a man, he was gifted with words that could rival the greatest skjalds. But as a warrior of Russ, he is born for the murdermake...

gallery_24878_5750_11918.jpg

This is still a very early work in progress concept. Lots to clean up. But I am content with how he turned out.

gallery_24878_5750_38349.jpg

This model completes my first custom Wulfen pack. He is an absolute beast!

gallery_24878_5750_3372.jpg

My homage to Lord Commander Jeor Mormont. Terran born astartes of the sixth legion. He is second to Lord Storm, both serve under the leadership of Commander Enoch. Training marines for the great crusade in their secret fortress monastery, on a mobile moon base called Lucan. Pre-Fenris and Pre-Russ.

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking!

THose are ace. I think Im gonna have to pic up another box of wulfen, I cant bring myself to use standard spacewolf heads anymore. The wulfen heads are too good.

Hey mac, I've been thinking about using the the grenade launchers as count as bolt pistols for my troops. You consider it?

I've done something similar with one of my older Iron Priest conversions. Mounted boltgun. It's doable. How you execute the plan is another story. I say give it a try! Mine only worked out thanks to the servo-arm.

Mav, I may not agree with your individual style choices(bits and pieces) but overall, how they fit together thematically, is awesome. I love the darker, more visceral look your army as well. Great job. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah MaveriK, as always, inspiring others to select worthy initiates from amongst the tribes of Fenris, in 40K, and in 30K, showing that he can still do his amazing works without sacrificing quality, for excessive quantity. Put another way, he's got an eye for modeling, posing, and bringing to life his models for the table.

• 3 months later...

WIP 30K Grey Hunter + Fleshmaker

gallery_24878_5750_45039.jpg

He is called Wiktor Wipsy of the Rout by his kith and kin. Champion of The Friemiaki Gate.

gallery_24878_5750_90271.jpg

He bares the mark of the Wulfen. Wipsy is my test mini for my STAGE ONE: Wulfen.

gallery_24878_5750_23849.jpg

Unleash the beast within, unleash helwinter upon the enemies of Russ and the All-Father!!!

gallery_24878_5750_40235.jpg

Najot Threader, Wolf Priest of the Rout. The fleshmaker was the first to be gifted the helm of Russ.

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking! Sorry I've been busy painting and creating. Keep calm and be ready for war. The wolf-time is upon us.

Just a question - you have used https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Khorne-Bloodreavers as a base for Wulfens conversion? Heads, hands, back packs are form Wulfens?

I love it when people answer their own questions haha.

WIP 30K Grey Hunters + Shield maiden/Null-maiden

gallery_24878_5750_15512.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_58759.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_11631.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_55654.jpg

--EDIT--

I apologize ahead of time if I don't reply or answer a question, it's probably because I've already posted/written the answer earlier or someone already answered for me.

Brilliant work! Never been a huge Space Wolf fan myself: they've just never appealed to me in that way (looks around nervously: am I allowed to say that here? :P) but this thread is just brilliant. ALMOST makes me want a heavily kitbashed SW army myself. Almost.

One quick question: that head on the Sister of Silence: I recognize it, vaguely, from a Fantasy elf kit, right? What is the specific source?

One quick question: that head on the Sister of Silence: I recognize it, vaguely, from a Fantasy elf kit, right? What is the specific source?

As a Wood Elf player I feel I can answer this without stepping on any toes. That's a Wood Elf Wild Rider head. You'll find them in AoS under the Wanderer faction in the Alliance of Order.

Archived