Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

• 2 weeks later...

Silly, but a quick question for my fellow wolf brothers here at the Fang. Where do you get or buy those small metal chains that I've seen around on other people's WIP minis? not the plastic kind, but actual metal chain-links.

I'm working on an Arjac Rockfist conversion, with a chain attached on the end of his foehammer. I like the idea of him throwing his hammer and pulling the chain back to retrieve it instead of it teleporting back in his hand. Kind of like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat! it's old school I know, especially compared to his actual fluff of it teleporting. But since we wolves don't really like or trust teleporting/deep striking in general why the heck would you rely on a weapon that would? I dunno.. just being superstitious LOL your help would be greatly appreciated! I finally found a good hammer to represent his weapon. Now its just waiting to put him together :biggrin:

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Comments, questions or suggestions are welcomed! thank you for looking.

Hobbytown or similar store. If it's model orientated, look in the Naval section near where they have rigging and other such for Sail Ships. There will be various thicknesses of twine for the lines and rigging, but there will be different sized chains also for the anchors. If it's the other kind of Hobby store with dried flowers and dollhouse stuff, look in the jewelry depertment if they don't have a "sailing" section or in the dollhouse section or simply ask.

I'd like to see some 360-degree shots of your Wulfrik the Wanderer conversion. I see lots of possibilities there, but I see lots of things that need to be fixed too. I'm curious how you solved some of the "problems."

That Wulfrik conversion is a nice WIP.

I love this army.

BTW: I've had a Revell longship model (1:50 scale) in my "To Do" stack for a couple of months. I plan to build it straight for display (although I'm swapping out the vacuum formed sail for a cloth one). I really like the dragon prow on your ship. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that model. Otherwise, I'll just buy a second Revell for this same purpose. Thanks for the idea!

gallery_24878_5304_152152.jpggallery_24878_5304_33389.jpg

gallery_24878_5304_32129.jpggallery_24878_5304_62123.jpg

WIP/PIP... second pack of Fenris Hunters (Grey Hunters/Grey Slayers)

questions, comments and or suggestions are welcomed :)

First pic: the back left marine with the older sm helmet emphasises the 'beak' too much. I don't mind those those sorts of helmets however it looks a bit beaky. Pick four showing the other pattern is better IMO.

Third pic: is that a power fist or a wolf claw leftie's using? In any case <_<

I dislike being overly critical of someone's work, especially if their skills outstrip my own (Q: Why should I complain if I could do no better? A: to help Constructively).

So you like the "racing stripe" on the beaky helmets but not the toucan paint scheme, right? Different strokes I guess. The Power Fist in question looks like the Chaos one with the poited and pointy fingers.

MaveriK, it's all very impressive, IMO.

So you like the "racing stripe" on the beaky helmets but not the toucan paint scheme, right? Different strokes I guess. The Power Fist in question looks like the Chaos one with the poited and pointy fingers.

If that's what they are :) .

@Nacho Wolf, Growler67, and Madwolf Shadowmane. Thank you for the advice, I found what I was looking for at Micheals!! which was really great since there is a store just five minutes away from my house.

@styygens, thanks you! I have allot to work on with my lost company, and I still have to re-painting my blue colored wolves. Yes, there was allot of hype when his model was on pre-order, allot of possibilities with the model. Talk about a pre heresy looking wolf lord or wolf guard. Its a reason why I was surprised I didn't see any conversions of the guy when he came out! And as for the long ship, it just came natural.. I mean, why not right? I wanted to be creative and original about it. Not to mention it fits Fenris fluff!

gallery_24878_5750_56293.jpg gallery_24878_5750_54356.jpg
Vlka Fenryka Wolf Guard

gallery_24878_5750_39716.jpg gallery_24878_5750_19843.jpg
War Wolves of Fenris, Wolf Guard Pack Leader

@Orphus, Growler67. easy lads! haha thank you both for the insight and words.

---
would my wolf brothers here at B&C be offended if I decided to honor my warriors by giving them your user names? I've seen many people and armies with names on their troops. So I figure why not? the greybeards here, along with the usual users at the Fang have become a gaming family for me through these years. I plan on writing the names under the bases. This way, I get to carry my wolf brothers with me.. share in my glory from the highs and lows of the battlefield.

gallery_24878_5750_1269.jpg gallery_24878_5750_62866.jpg
I'm starting off with a model that has been suddenly put under the spot light.

gallery_24878_5750_32052.jpg gallery_24878_5750_11758.jpg
War Wolves of Fenris: Hunter Orphus, of the Vlka Fenryka.

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Comments, questions and or advice are welcomed. Thank you for looking! :wink:

@Nacho Wolf, Growler67, and Madwolf Shadowmane. Thank you for the advice, I found what I was looking for at Micheals!! which was really great since there is a store just five minutes away from my house.

Wasn't sure what store names/chains crossed the border so I worded my response accordingly. Cheers :HQ:

@Orphus, Growler67. easy lads! haha thank you both for the insight and words.

It's cool, just trying to bring my blood down from that second brawl. 2 consecutive and all *takes a deep breath*

would my wolf brothers here at B&C be offended if I decided to honor my warriors by giving them your user names? I've seen many people and armies with names on their troops. So I figure why not? the greybeards here, along with the usual users at the Fang have become a gaming family for me through these years. I plan on writing the names under the bases. This way, I get to carry my wolf brothers with me.. share in my glory from the highs and lows of the battlefield.

--EDIT--

comments, questions and or advice are welcomed. Thank you for looking ;)

I would take no offense. If I may respectfully state my personal preference; if I were to be a Pack Member, then a Wolf Scout with a Sniper Rifle (the omission of the "67" will probably be fine - unless you want to use my "character" name of Korvis). Otherwise wherever you deem it would be an honor to serve in your Army. FWIW, I am writing a fan-fiction about a Wolf Scout named Korvis. Sole survivor from his pack after a deep insertion recon mission. When he eventually awoke from the Red Dream he finds himself back on fenris. If you want more from what i am writing, PM me and I'll give you a better run down. As to my Troop choice preference, I can provide you a few pictures for you to gauge my personality from if you wish, though it will have to wait until I get home from work. Swing Shifts this week.

gallery_24878_5304_87569.jpggallery_24878_5304_115827.jpg

I'm starting off with a model that has been suddenly put under the spot light.

gallery_24878_5304_115662.jpggallery_24878_5304_1345.jpg

War Wolves of Fenris: Hunter Orphus, of the Vlka Fenryka.

--EDIT--

comments, questions and or advice are welcomed. Thank you for looking ^_^

Ha ha ha, no offense taken :)

The weird thing is, when thinking of my lord I see him with one of those oldies on his belt! ( the helmet )

This reminded me of the story about Michelangelo's "The Last Judgment" with his little arguement with Biagio da Cesena haha. Most people here at the Fang would know by now that I'm easy going, and a bit of a joker. It wasn't intended to offend wolf brother haha. I hope the model brings you honor, as I hope it will with me on the battlefield, kicking ass and holding onto objectives like a true son of Russ!

--EDIT--
Comments, questions and suggestions are welcomed. Updated font size!

gallery_24878_5750_13132.jpg gallery_24878_5750_21028.jpg
I came home to find my wife had gone to the comic store to surpise me with several reading material for me this weekend. I'm a DC fan, also Manga and a few Marvel. Anyway, she got me one of my favorite old trade paperbacks from Marvel's Old Man Logan. The model above I just put together just now is inspired by that very book.

--EDIT--
Updated font size.

Listen to your gut, if its telling you it doesn't look good, if something isn't right then chances are your instinct is right.

gallery_24878_5750_8374.jpg gallery_24878_5750_54356.jpg
A lesson on converting. This example is what I'd like to refer to as: Hello I'm a PC, Hi I'm a Mac.

gallery_24878_5750_1269.jpg gallery_24878_5750_11758.jpg
War Wolves of Fenris: Hunter Orphus, of the Vlka Fenryka (Before)

gallery_24878_5750_19009.jpg gallery_24878_5750_50669.jpg
War Wolves of Fenris: Hunter Orphus, of the Vlka Fenryka (After)

----
on a side note, I'd like to thank the following users in helping me get inspired with their own works of art. These people are the one's I look up to when it comes to the modelling aspect of Warhammer 40K. Their Space Wolves are beautiful! and I envy their work. Each and everyone of these people bring something different and unique on the table, I admire and respect that. If you wanna learn and see some amazing work, look these people up! some of my work doesn't even compare to how talented and skilled these guys are. In no particular order:

DV8, stinkenheim, Alaitoc, Wolf Lord Mjolnir, littlbitz, Night Runner, Insane Psychopath, WG Vrox, McBain, Lord Ragnarok, Max_Dammit, Gareth, Feanwulf, DGC, Kapturowski, Eddoo, PJ1933, capt.nuss, Wamp, TeamLando, BulldogUK, Vojnik, Mr.Wolf, Haakon Ironheart, Wolfeslad, spikyjames, Justice for All, wolf363839, and Levitas.

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Comments, questions and or suggestions are welcomed! thank you for looking.

Great work Maverik,

Your Wolf Guard Pack Leader is one of the best I've seen. I see his pose as 'just after the slaughter' stance. I am not usually very fond of static poses in war game models but this one simply won me over - it would look excellent on the game board and in a diorama. The model simply tells a story. ( and the PC/Mac reference cracked me up).

N.B. And thank you for the honorable mention. You are right - this forum is a great source of inspiration, I have learned so much just by looking and observing other peoples work, from the best to the best first try. I have gone back to my work desk richer and full of ideas (borrowed and inspired) every time I go through this forum. For this I am grateful. Long live the B&C, Long live the Fang.

I came home to find my wife had gone to the comic store to surpise me with several reading material for me this weekend. I'm a DC fan, also Manga and a few Marvel. Anyway, she got me one of my favorite old trade paperbacks from Marvel's Old Man Logan. The model above I just put together just now is inspired by that very book.

Nice model.

To be honest I found the Old Man Logan storyline one of the weakest of Wolverine's (these villains killed the greatest heroes of the Marvel universe but got taken down by Wolverine over the run of half a dozen comics? yeah right. They should have revealed that his real name was Mary Sue and be done with it) surpassed of course by the epic fail that is Draken. I can imagine the people at Marvel, "hey, let's create a character just like Wolverine if the original Wolverine mini series had never been written. You know, a completely uninteresting unidimensional psychopath. That'll sell."

Regardless, I do like that model.

I have to admit Ive been lurking in this thread for a while and I apologize that I didnt post sooner. None the less I would like to congatulate you on some amazingly beautiful pieces of miniature art. I find your model building skills and paint skills to be stellar. From all appearances you seem to have a natural talent for posing your models to evoke the feelings portrayed there in. So I guess Im trying to say nice work Mav, keep it up, Im looking forward to more incredible artwork from you in the future.

I have to admit Ive been lurking in this thread for a while and I apologize that I didnt post sooner. None the less I would like to congatulate you on some amazingly beautiful pieces of miniature art. I find your model building skills and paint skills to be stellar. From all appearances you seem to have a natural talent for posing your models to evoke the feelings portrayed there in. So I guess Im trying to say nice work Mav, keep it up, Im looking forward to more incredible artwork from you in the future.

Same, i admire the work you have done, and think that you have given them all their own character.

Hope goes to you for the future and keep working! You are doing fantastically well!

@Nacho Wolf, haha thank you and goodluck with your conversion

@Night Runner, thank you wolf brother! means allot coming from someone on my list of talented people to watch and aspire to.

@Freman Bloodglaive, I agree.. but for me it was more about the artwork and the idea of elseworlds. I've always been fasinated about "what if's" storylines. And thank you, I look forward when I get to work on the model.

@Wulf Vengis and The Son of Russ, thank you both for taking the time to comment on my work. It means allot! and I hope I don't disappoint in the future... no pressure on my part haha

gallery_24878_5750_57660.jpg gallery_24878_5750_13142.jpg gallery_24878_5750_49311.jpg
This is an older conversion model, and will be my second Wolf Guard Pack Leader.

--EDIT--
Updated font size! comments, questions and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

gallery_24878_5748_50789.jpggallery_24878_5748_48874.jpg

gallery_24878_5748_61965.jpggallery_24878_5748_63560.jpg
ACT III: The Rout

"The great wolf Logan Grimnar have called upon the phantom wolves, to bring this murder-make to an end. Answered only, as the gates of Morkai are opened. What has the old wolf unleashed upon us? their silhouettes are seen as pale shadows within a dream, the only question is... who's dream? They march slowly amidst in the fog of the morning, war drums beating, or is it my heart that is pounding from fear? I only hope and pray, that those rumors are just myths and urban legends. For the warriors I think of, aren't the noble wolves we know today. I can only hope for a miracle, and pray that the great wolf has mercy in his mind.

The barrels from our guns are covered in frost, as the cold air pierces our lungs like knives, while we breathe-in the winter. Most of our wounded soldiers perished from the bitter cold, while the rest of us await for our punishment. I guess working on the mines, at a forge world would be better than this frozen place, as our bodies stiffens from the cold, and the leather in our coats become brittle at the touch. At least in the mines, you need not to worry about freezing to death. For this cruel fate, this frozen hell is no place to die.

Our forces have surrendered to the imperial fleet, and our planet defenses have been breached. We were wrong to remove ourselves from the Imperium and the God-Emperor. We were foolish into believing in the strength of our independence along side with our xeno allies. We believed in the greater good, I believed... so now we wait for our imprisonment. Our once beautiful planet had degraded into this nuclear winter, slowly freezing our oceans and lands. The sons of Russ had made planet-fall, and now we wait for our judgment. You could almost hear them silently stalking in the snow. A creeping death moving closer and closer, I know they are out there! I will repent my sins to the God-Emperor! I will surrender my weapon to the Imperium! I want to be free from this frozen hell.

The phantoms appear suddenly. No... they aren't phantoms, they are angels of death! the war wolves have answered my plea. A horror before me is unleashed, as bodies are torn from limb to limb. This is our last testament, this is the end of my people, as the screams of pain and death echo in the cold air. The snow covered ground becomes crimson red. The frozen blood will be the last reminder of my people and our foolish regime. Our blood spilled, tainting the ground and freezing in pools of death. Bodies pile up, we fight back.. but our soldiers are no match against packs, of these warrior astartes. We fight desperately, and in return my people die horribly. Some of my men try to run, but are overtaken by wolves, real wolves! monsters! damn beast! our people wont see the mines, for these barbarians take no prisoners.

I was foolish and naive in believing and hoping for the mines. My people are doomed, and we are here to die at the hands of the Rout. We have angered the Emperor's wolves! we die here now as enemies of the Imperium, forever remembered in history as traitors. This isn't a dream anymore, it's a nightmare come true." - Captain Quill, Tau Human Auxiliary.

gallery_24878_5748_43675.jpggallery_24878_5748_7651.jpggallery_24878_5748_61111.jpg
My Fenris Hunter with a Mark of the Wulfen. He belongs to my second pack of (Grey Hunter/Grey Slayers) I will have about four packs of hunters. With this particular model, I wanted to have a warrior that looked elegant and deadly at the same time. I wanted to have a model that is shown slowly walking into battle, ready to unleash his murder-make.

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Comments, questions and or suggestions are welcomed. Thank you for looking.

Hail brother!

Long since I last took a look and my they have grown nice in time, really nice!

They have that certain something I can't name about them, very inspirational indeed.

Keep up the awesome work brother!

gallery_24878_5332_6310.jpg

@Bulweih, thank you wolf brother its always a pleasure hearing from you

@Kassill, thank you for the words of encouragement, I'm gonna need it haha

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Comments, questions and or suggestions are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

Archived