Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

gallery_24878_5750_34813.jpg gallery_24878_5750_2792.jpg
LONE WOLF: Bloodfang (TDA, MoTW, SS)

gallery_24878_5750_34410.jpg gallery_24878_5750_15949.jpg
HQ/PIP: Jormungndr, Two-blade. (counts as Ragnar Blackmane)

gallery_24878_5750_64954.jpg gallery_24878_5750_61838.jpg
WIP: Combi-flamer

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Comments, questions and or suggestions are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

@Nacho Wolf, haha thank you and goodluck with your conversion

@Night Runner, thank you wolf brother! means allot coming from someone on my list of talented people to watch and aspire to.

@Freman Bloodglaive, I agree.. but for me it was more about the artwork and the idea of elseworlds. I've always been fasinated about "what if's" storylines. And thank you, I look forward when I get to work on the model.

@Wulf Vengis and The Son of Russ, thank you both for taking the time to comment on my work. It means allot! and I hope I don't disappoint in the future... no pressure on my part haha

gallery_24878_5304_60397.jpggallery_24878_5304_99827.jpggallery_24878_5304_75115.jpg

This is an older conversion model, and will be my second Wolf Guard Pack Leader.

--EDIT--

comments, questions and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

What helmet did you use on this guy? you have inspired me btw to start a pre-heresy wolves army,a long with other sources, you mostly showing me that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. But for my conversioned wolves for the future, what helmets and arms do you suggest i use? also where did you get the shield from for your MOTW guy, the one with the wooden shield and steel/wooden axe.

Various shields from WH Fantasy can be used, just find ones that suit your taste. Chaos, Dwarf or Beastmen usually have good ones to choose from, but some of the Elf and Empires ones offer variety that may fit your vision. Up to you. Any helmet can always be modded by cutting off top-knots and adding them on. Again Chaos or even Ork top-knots can be used if you don't like the ones from the SW box or need more to choose from. Just a few of the bits I can easily identify by looking, but not a complete list I'm sure.

There are also shield boss bits you may want to consider as well. The archive Chaos ones have fanged skulls as well as crossed bones you can use. Take a look at my Rune Priest in this thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=2645784 The shield boss is from the older Beastmen shield sprue. I just clipped the horns off the goat head? and trimmed it slightly to make the ears more prominent to make it look much more like a wolf head.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ash Tekka, answer is chaos, chaos, chaos!!!

@The Son of Russ, Thank you, that means allot and I hope your army turns out nicely! as for the bits, wolf brother Growler67 is right on the mark. Heed his advice for he is one of the wise wolves here at the Fang.

@Nacho Wolf, its the picture! I try to stay away from the monk look with my wolves.. this guy however is probably the closest to a monk-look in my army. I might change him up a bit later on. As you can see from my progress, I tend to change models during the PIP stage if it doesn't look right. I used the body from the SM command squad, I think its the company champion body bit?

---
As for kit-bashing and using bits in general. My advice is... when your looking through miniatures in general, if you see something you like, or you see something you think, would look good on your models then go for it. When I look through the Games Workshop site, I LOOK at ALL their model range!!! don't limit your thinking with a tunnel vision mentality and attitude. When I look for bits, I LOOK at everything at Games Workshop: from Fantasy, 40K to their specialty range. My mind immidiately looks at certain poses, miniatures, weapons etc etc and imagine, what would work and look good on my minis. For the most part, the questions you all have, about what bit I used will be there.

When I was younger, I used bits from outside the GW range, and because of that, I've managed to build some decent to amazing models. However, now as I've gotten older... I try to stay within GW to keep things legal and original. When I see someone's miniature I like, I try NOT to do carbon copies of them. It tends to get boring! and truthfully, for me at least, at the end of the day the model is not really yours, as in.. it didn't really come from you. If that makes any sense?!

I'm not trying to put off anyone! I think a better explanation from me would be; when someone gets a tattoo, that artwork has it's own significance and meaning for that person. When someone else borrows/copies/steals that tattoo idea onto themselves, then it kinda losses its meaning, and for that person who borrowed that tattoo, that ink doesn't really have a personal meaning. Don't get me wrong, there are pieces and armies out there that have helped, inspired and motivated me. Giving me ideas and insight for my own work but I try to make it my own.

For example, the pre-heresy style models using chaos warrior bits. They look beautiful, and I've seen some beautiful work from that template! but IMHO, I think it only works well if you restrict youself with just using it on special characters. Because if you do a full pack or an entire army with said template... they tend to all look like "the crowd" in the end. For me Space Wolves aren't the sheep, they should stand out from the crowd! or am I wrong here? our codex specifically gives each and every warrior its own identity and character, which I try to do onto my own army.

Although epic, and beautiful looking with the chaos warrior bit template.. those models restrict you as a artist. Because of the poses from that template, the arms and shoulders don't really give you that dynamic pose and individuality. Wolf Lord Mjolnir is an exception to this example because the man has vision, and knows how to work the green stuff. His models are beautiful! and each and everyone of them have character.

Remember, Space Wolves are suppose to stand out, and not look like carbon copies... thats why we have Ultramarines right? LOL jk, I've got nothing against our brothers in blue! anyway, I'm not trying to insult anyone and it's NOT my intention! I mean if you look at the Space Wolf Blog, Adam's Pre-Heresy army is beautiful. His site is a constant inspiration, and motivation for me. But IMHO, although his packs look EPIC and amazing, the arms and poses look so limited and restricted, and it's a shame! don't get me wrong, his work and army is far superior compared to mine! LOL

With me, I have to work and push myself allot harder to be more creative and original. Only because I'm not as skilled with the brush as say.. DV8 or Alaitoc, or even a master with the green stuff like Stinkenheim (actually I don't have any skills with the green stuff at all haha) I think its a good thing, because these people help, motivate and inspire you to become better, and be more creative/original in the long run. Anyway, that's my rant for today!!!

gallery_24878_5750_16778.jpg
KILLER INSTINCT.... ULTRA COMBO!! I mean.. COMBI-MELTA!!

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Thank you for looking.

@Wulfebane, there are more pictures of that model on pg 2, post #44 on this thread. My pictures are small because most of them are now hosted here, at B&C and I'm doing my part in trying not to take to much of their space. Sorry for the inconvinience! BTW I've seen your work on the Space Wolf painting and converting section. Nicely done!

gallery_24878_5750_8011.jpggallery_24878_5750_71663.jpg

"We burn our dead,’ said Skarssen. ‘It’s our practice. There’s no soil on Fenris for burial. No ground that isn’t iron hard in the long winter, and no ground with any permanence in summer. We don’t leave markers or tombs, no graves for the worm-wed like other men. Why would a dead man want that? Why would he want his wight weighed down and anchored to one place? His thread’s cut and he can finally roam as he pleases. Doesn’t want a stone pinning him down.’ ‘A story is better than a stone,’ said Varangr. ‘Better for remembering the dead. Do you know how to remember the dead, skjald?" - Prospero Burns

gallery_24878_5750_26378.jpggallery_24878_5750_36570.jpg
I plan on putting this on a larger base, similar size to my first objective marker, along with the mammoth skeleton. The mammoth will be surrounding the funeral pyre. I'm going to carefully burn off the paper corners on the grass using incense sticks.

When I was younger, I use to paint my own banners on paper, then used incense sticks to create burn marks, bullet holes etc. I wrapped the marine body using newspaper, in a paper mache style. I plan to painting the paper wrap accordingly. How to wolf it up? I'll have a spare axe on top of the body, and maybe have a space wolf helmet hanging from a sword or stick. I hope it turns out to be a good objective marker. Anyway, this is still a WIP.

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Thank you for looking!

Continued from post#66

gallery_24878_5748_46379.jpg gallery_24878_5748_40097.jpg gallery_24878_5748_47880.jpg
Another lesson in converting. Time for an UPGRADE! I didn't like how this guy looked so I changed his arm. Simple solution, to a common problem. This example is what I call "AT&T vs. T-Mobile 4G" it's a commercial thing LOL

---

Continued rant from post #84

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A8bZUPrO8dk/TBM7dtaiiII/AAAAAAAACT8/zbvdpKZPIKE/s1600/motw.jpg
Adam's MoTW http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/2010...g-standard.html

gallery_24878_5748_43675.jpg gallery_24878_5748_7651.jpg gallery_24878_5748_61111.jpg
My MoTW was inspired from Adam's work.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A8bZUPrO8dk/TBM7dtaiiII/AAAAAAAACT8/zbvdpKZPIKE/s1600/motw.jpg
This example is what I call just straight-up... Carbon Copy/Stealing/Copying (Okay so it's the same picture as Adam's but you get the idea)

Going back on my long rant from an earlier post on being inspired, it's a great thing! there are so many great people on B&C that have helped motivate and inspired me. (DV8, stinkenheim, Alaitoc, Wolf Lord Mjolnir, littlbitz, Night Runner, Insane Psychopath, WG Vrox, McBain, Lord Ragnarok, Max_Dammit, Gareth, Feanwulf, DGC, Kapturowski, Eddoo, PJ1933, capt.nuss, Wamp, TeamLando, BulldogUK, Vojnik, Mr.Wolf, Haakon Ironheart, Wolfeslad, spikyjames, Justice for All, wolf363839, and Levitas.) Just to name a few!

As you can see from the pictures above, from Adam's amazing talent to my inspired work because of his piece. However, straight up copying someones work just feels really lazy, and this is coming from an artistic point of view. Although sometimes I know that it can't be helped! I just wanted to point out the difference between being inspired by someone's work, and going off from there, with your own direction/vision. Then, there is someone saying, your work was so inspiring... but then they just straight up do a copy of the original. Know the difference! I have no problem with people who do or don't. I just have a problem with people who confuse the words and don't know the difference between the two.

In today's world its harder to be original, especially when your influenced everyday by so many things without even knowing it. Hard work I know, especially if everything we know and do is a nothing but remix: and

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Thank you for looking!

gallery_24878_5750_24809.jpg
and now I share with you a tale of woe.. once upon a time our wolves had Leman Russ: Exterminator tanks. Now I know not allot of people liked them, while others loved them. I for one, LOVED them! only because during the time, it was a part of what kept us different, and unique from the other astartes chapters. Sad as it is, they are now parked inside the Fang waiting to be used only in the time of great need to defend the Fang.

This tank was my main center piece of my army. My own special exterminator tank, with its twin-linked auto cannons, and heavy bolter sponsors. Now, she is re-fitted to be my Land Raider Redeemer. My fluff speaks of a tale that when Uncas defeated Logan in hand to hand combat, his phantom wolves sacked the armoury and upgraded the warbands gear. Upon finding the rare exterminator, Uncas had the Iron Priest modify the tank to what she looks like today, claiming it as his warhorse. I present to you the "Warhorse" Ragnarok Class Land Raider Redeemer. My homage to one of the Fang's great story-tellers Warhorse47, and one of our hard working mods Lord Ragnarok.

gallery_24878_5750_60673.jpggallery_24878_5750_23746.jpggallery_24878_5750_76215.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_40279.jpggallery_24878_5750_47981.jpggallery_24878_5750_9472.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_46039.jpggallery_24878_5750_31690.jpggallery_24878_5750_3340.jpg
don't expect this baby to be painted up anytime soon... I hate painting tanks! and I'm going to take my sweet time with her! when she was a exterminator, I used her allot. It was great because it distracted everyone, as they wanted to blow her up because she looked so nice. Which was part of my plan because it helped my other forces and packs to overwhelm my opponents LMAO

--EDIT--

Updated font size. Don't just peek, say something! questions and comments are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

gallery_24878_5750_7150.jpg

I choked on my soda when I saw this fist...

:)

Yeah, I love that chainfist (from the Chaos Lord box). I'm using one for a Lone Wolf, and I really wish that they would do more chainfists like that.

Oh and MaveriK, I love the look of the army. I'm truly impressed by how every single model is unique. That was a huge draw for me when I started Space Wolves, and this has just been a major inspiration.

@Wulfebane, you meant to say that you choked on your ale right wolf brother? LOL jk

@Dahli Llama, Thank you! as I've said in a previous post; Space Wolves are suppose to stand out and have character, so I try to convey that in my army. If only I can paint them allot faster hahaha

gallery_24878_5750_30625.jpg gallery_24878_5750_37851.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_56836.jpg gallery_24878_5750_21700.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_24518.jpg gallery_24878_5750_2176.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_63136.jpg gallery_24878_5750_14418.jpg
my other WIP Fenris Bloods (Blood Claws/Storm Claws)

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Don't just peek, say something! comments, and critics are welcomed! Thank you for looking.

@Wulfenstein, there was a time when we wolves have been called worst; and in our enemies eyes, we were viewed as such. Russ did say, we always got stuck with the dirty jobs haha. My fluff sticks closer to the old ways, since they are a lost company from around that time. It's a reason why my army looks the way they do today! and why I always ask my opponent if we go for annihilation mission even if the game scenario doesn't ask for it LOL. As for painting.... I will dedicate this weekend to do as much as I can with my army! I will update what I've done on monday night, Canada time.

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Don't just peek... comments and critics are welcomed! I also plan to post more on my blog, so feel free to look there once and awhile. Thank you for looking :smile:

Great stuff all around, and love the scenery pieces.

Would it be possible to give the She~Wolf some decent clothes? Things start to "happen" when us women get cold. :fakenopic:

I'm not much for the dreads, though. They're great looking pieces, but there huge weapons make them a bit "off" to me.

I gotta start a blog ... :D

Quick question: How are you handling squad marking? I'm working on painting my wolves and I don't want to use the traditional color schemes from the codex for squad marking. I want something a little more subtle. I am using a medium grey for the armor, and then doing black shoulder pads. I was thinking of putting runes on the shoulder pads to mark the different squads, but I'm looking for other possible alternatives.

@postal105, haha well I have hoped that my work would inspire others, as others on here have done on me.

@MaleOpener, Thank you! I might re-work some of my objective pieces and add-in some highland turf basing from army painter. As for the she-wolf, once GW start making decent some female minis, I will work on a better conversion. The drawings are just there to help give some visuals with her fluff. As for my dreadnoughts... most of the huge looking weaponed dreads have been scrapped. The only dreadnoughts I've kept, are the missile launcher+heavy bolters, and the rifleman dreadnought.

@Nacho Wolf, Thank you wolf brother!

@Dahli Llama, I'm going to try to keep my pack markings subtle. My color scheme are as follows...

"A black sail, like the ones the Balt had come in under, was a treacherous sail, because it hid its declaration in the night, and thus defied the convention. A red sail was an open announcement of the intention to murder. The Hradcana sails were red." - Prospero Burns.

My pack markings are similar to the 13th, and having my fluff work along side theirs, is a good reason to utilize the colors indicated from the quote above. I'm having the one entire shoulder pad with a full black color for my one pack, and just paint the black trim on the shoulder, on another pack etc. etc. I hope that made sense! utilize everything you have in the shoulder. Separate the colors in a smart and obvious way, that's how I'll do my pack markings.

---
I was hoping to get some painting done this past weekend. I planned on dedicating my weekend on painting, but unfortunately my wife comes first on my priorities! we are still young after-all, enough to go out on a spontaneous trip to whistler mountain for some snow boarding.. so my bad on not updating! haha.

Love all the dynamic poses you are able to create. Each of those models looks like it has something special to it.

Every one of your basic infantry could easily pass for an HQ/IC and I'm sure the Vlka Fenryka will all earn their individual sagas as you get the army rolling.

Archived