Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

Silly, but a quick question for my fellow wolf brothers here at the Fang. Where do you get or buy those small metal chains that I've seen around on other people's WIP minis? not the plastic kind, but actual metal chain-links.

I'm working on an Arjac Rockfist conversion, with a chain attached on the end of his foehammer. I like the idea of him throwing his hammer and pulling the chain back to retrieve it instead of it teleporting back in his hand. Kind of like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat! it's old school I know, especially compared to his actual fluff of it teleporting. But since we wolves don't really like or trust teleporting/deep striking in general why the heck would you rely on a weapon that would? I dunno.. just being superstitious LOL your help would be greatly appreciated! I finally found a good hammer to represent his weapon. Now its just waiting to put him together :rolleyes:

--EDIT--

Comments, questions or suggestions are welcomed! thank you for looking.

Hail!

It is a great thread and great conversions!

As regards the Arjac Rockfist conversion, the length of chain will probably be good conversion as long as you don't go too far along the Black Templar path.

Regarding the teleportation bit, you could always work into your fluff about his weapon that it was crafted by a Rune Priest and that it is a "Magic Hammer" blessed by Russ!

Ale all round to my superstitious Fenrisian brothers!

Cheers!

@Dahli Llama, I'm going to try to keep my pack markings subtle. My color scheme are as follows... "A black sail, like the ones the Balt had come in under, was a treacherous sail, because it hid its declaration in the night, and thus defied the convention. A red sail was an open announcement of the intention to murder. The Hradcana sails were red." - Prospero Burns.

My pack markings are similar to the 13th, and having my fluff work along side theirs, is a good reason to utilize the colors indicated from the quote above. I'm having the one entire shoulder pad with a full black color for my one pack, and just paint the black trim on the shoulder, on another pack etc. etc. I hope that made sense! utilize everything you have in the shoulder. Separate the colors in a smart and obvious way, that's how I'll do my pack markings.

Cool. Thanks, that does make sense.

@TiguriusX, thank you! that meant allot, not sure if you've read the previous post.. but I plan to honor some of my wolf brothers here, by having my warriors named and represented after some of the users here at the Fang on B&C. Your memorable performance from the last brawl, gave me insight on my next MoTW model, which will be named after you.

@Scion of Ferrus and Wulfebane, thank you I got a chain from Michaels craft store.

@Dahli Llama, no problem!

BTW, I just wanted to remind everyone about an awesome blog that's truly inspirational. This man has skill and talent! the Fang's own, Night Runner http://trueminiwargamer.blogspot.com/

----
and now I present to you my PIP, Fift Godsmote (counts as Arjac Rockfist)

gallery_24878_5750_34201.jpg gallery_24878_5750_46002.jpg gallery_24878_5750_24047.jpg
Arjac Rockfist conversion, with a chain attached on the end of his foehammer. I like the idea of Godsmote throwing his hammer and pulling the chain back to retrieve it instead of having it teleport back in his hand. Something similar with Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. It's old school idea I know, but compared to Arjac's actual fluff of the Foehammer teleporting. We wolves don't really like or trust teleporting/deep striking in general so why the heck would you want to rely on a weapon that would? so became Godsmote of the Vlka Fenryka.

gallery_24878_5750_6905.jpg gallery_24878_5750_24503.jpg gallery_24878_5750_16047.jpg
I still need to paint up his Anvil Shield, Foehammer, and dull up the chain, not to mention do highlights etc. etc. etc.

--EDIT--
Updated font size. More pictures of GODSMOTE on my blog! thank you for looking, comments and critics are welcomed.

gallery_24878_5750_1423.jpg gallery_24878_5750_44168.jpg gallery_24878_5750_56713.jpg
Just a few questions for you all.

1) so how much weathering is too much? how do you find a nice balance for it? I've seen some people go over the top with theirs, which in turn takes away from the vehicle. That's what I'm worried about..

2) what are your best formulas for doing rust stains? I know how to do it, was just wondering if people have a better, or easier effect from your experiences

3) what motivates you to finish a vehicle? I really HATE doing them! I find them boring and very time consuming LOL

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Thank you for looking!

No love or respect from my wolf brothers?... either my works not on par, or I'm posting in wrong forum LOL. I'm starting to reconsider updating this thread. Got allot of people creeping, but not enough people actually contributing :dry:

----

gallery_24878_5748_103252.jpg gallery_24878_5748_21037.jpg
FIFT GODSMOTE (counts as Arjac Rockfist)

gallery_24878_5748_78684.jpg gallery_24878_5748_41630.jpg
I wanted Godsmote's Foehammer attached to a chain, and thrown at the enemy. Similar to Scorpion from Mortal Combat. Godsmote is old school, and doesn't trust teleporting technology.

"This hammer is an extention of my might and fury to help unleash my murder-make. This chain is nothing but symbol of my dicipline and self-control... there is no warmer feeling, like strangling my enemy with this chain, as they beg for mercy... answered only as their head pops off." - GODSMOTE

gallery_24878_5748_96277.jpg gallery_24878_5748_58182.jpg
Godsmote's Foehammer and Anvil Shield

gallery_24878_5748_12494.jpg gallery_24878_5748_17900.jpg
Vlka Fenryka, GODSMOTE

--EDIT--
Updated font size! ...for Lord Rags, bigger picture for you boss! more on my blog, thank you for looking.

I usually don't comment b/c I can't see the details too well, although all of your conversions have had very dynamic poses which not only make for an amazing army, but appropriately suit the SW mentality.

This last batch of pics however, the closeups on the details I appreciate. I really love the whole beastman skulls/horns theme you've got going on Arjac. I love how you mesh SW with chaos bits. Makes me wish I could dump a ton of cash into a chaos bitz bag.

Only critique I have is Arjac's head looks a bit orange. Might be the lighting...

No love or respect from my wolf brothers?... either my works not on par, or I'm posting in wrong forum LOL. I'm starting to reconsider updating this thread. Got allot of people creeping, but not enough people actually contributing :(

Now you know how I feel some days when writing the Space Wolves blog.

Where did you get the cool hammer fro Arjac from?

Cheers

Adam

Just look though the whole topic, really nice work. Alway happy to see a army with ton of conversion to make it stand out. As said a few time I join the fourm mainly to see armies like this, really cool & to see tournament report. I don't want to see people moan about GW, etc....

But again really like the Wolves & how you made your own army stand out. You may want to keep a eye out for the new Thor movie for some further idea. Or check out the computer game viking battle for asgard, as a few of your model remind me of the Viking in the game :) With the feel & look of the overall army. It like Adam (Darkseer) Mark of Wulfen remind me of the evil bad guys from Viking battle for Asgard.

Also thanks for the shout out on my own Wolves though out the topic.

IP

Moment of weakness, I was feeling a frustrated with the lack of progress with my army, as in lack of time. Sometimes, it feels like like my army will never get finished.

----

@Nacho Wolf, Yes. As I've said in this thread before, I only use GW bits and parts. Which in turn limits my options but at the same time also pushes me to be more creative and original since I haven't acquired the skills to do sculpting with the GS.

@Wulfebane, Thank you, as I've said earlier in this thread, the only reason why I kept the pictures small is because I could put more in a post and save more space, since I'm using B&C to host my pictures. As for Arjac's head... its the lighting, you can't really use flash if your on macro mode on the camera, and the light in the room has that yellow tint. Most of my warrior's faces are bronzed flesh with dark flesh wash.

@Darkseer, Yeah but EVERYONE loves your blog! it's very useful, informative and full of good entries. If you ever stopped doing what your doing, I'd hunt you down! but honestly, if google wasn't my homepage, I'm sure your blog would be mine. Your work inspires many people, and even helped inspire me with my own MoTW back on post #88 GODSMOTE's hammer is from a WFB Dwarf Engineer, stinkenheim gave me the idea with the hammer from one of his works.

@Wolf Lord Mjolnir, Thank you, I'm a huge fan of your work. And your army is spectacular!

@Insane Psychopath, Awesome, and thank you! as mentioned before, you and your army is on that list of people whom I admire, respect and hope to aspire to in both skill and spectacular looking wolf army.

--EDIT--
Updated font size. Thank you for looking!

These are some of the best Space Wolves conversions I've seen, hands down. I can really see where Prospero Burns influenced some of the conversions. If I had to pick one model, I especially like Jormungndr and I'm planning on stealing the idea but aptly naming him Maverik! The indiviuality of each model is awesome, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more. I'm pretty sure the only reason you're not getting as many comments is because people can only tell you how F**KING AWESOME your models are so many times!

What you might want to look into for further inspiration is Warmachine and Hordes models. Privateer Press sells idividual here much like Games Workshop used to to, and their relatively cheap, all thing considered. They are mostly metal, however, but nothing a good drill and green stuff won't cure.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to post larger images of the finished products? The care and detail you put into each model isn't done justice because of the smaller images! In my opinion, where Darkseer's blog excels in tactics and gameplay, I think if you were to do a similar blog, it would be the equivalent in respect to modeling and creativity - with all due respects to both parties! It would be like a coallition of awesome!

PS. Congrats on finding a woman who puts up with the plastic men obesession - I know first hand that they're hard to come by and I don't plan on letting her go :D! I wish both of you the best of luck!

As for Arjac's head... its the lighting, you can't really use flash if your on macro mode on the camera, and the light in the room has that yellow tint.

Do you paint with the same light? If so, do your army the favor of proper lighting to match the insane effort put into the conversions. I do canvas paintings and the lighting in a room can drastically interfere with a color palette. For instance, painting under a yellow/orange light makes the tint of your paintings more greenish-yellow because what you think is white is actually yellowish and you can't tell the difference until you're in a different light.

For about $10 you can get a cheapo clip lamp and a 40watt "daylight" bulb (always go with "daylight" or "reveal" lightbulbs). Or if you've got money for better, look up Ottlite brand lamps ..they're all over the place, but mainly Michaels.

I whole-heartedly recommend this for anyone browsing this thread. Get daylight bulbs. They're cheap and amazing!

@chino, Thank you! I will post finished works on larger pictures from now on. As for a blog, LOL I'm flattered but I think would rather work along side Darkseer and Wolf Lord Mjolnir on the Space Wolf blog, should I decide to do future tutorial conversion works for everyone to see. I get my inspiration first from the legendary Frank Frazetta. But as mentioned in this thread before, there are so many great people on B&C that have helped motivate and inspired me.

(DV8, stinkenheim, Alaitoc, Wolf Lord Mjolnir, littlbitz, Night Runner, Insane Psychopath, WG Vrox, McBain, Lord Ragnarok, Max_Dammit, Gareth, Feanwulf, DGC, Kapturowski, Eddoo, PJ1933, capt.nuss, Wamp, TeamLando, BulldogUK, Vojnik, Mr.Wolf, Haakon Ironheart, Wolfeslad, spikyjames, Justice for All, wolf363839, and Levitas.) Just to name a few!

haha yeah the wife is cool about it, at first I tell her it's just like chess only with complicated rules and better visuals. She played my army several times before, and does pretty good with my supervision.

@Wulfebane, Thanks for the advice.. and NO, I don't paint with the same light. But I'm glad you pointed that out for everyone else! we are fortunate enough not to work with canvas, and we are lucky enough to have our paints labelled in our bottles. But I'd be pretty worried about my eyes or my basic common-sense, if I couldn't tell the difference between a white tint, to a greenish-yellow tint. Or yellowish colors especially if it wasn't intended. Now that's scary! and I would probably cry......

If I had to pick one model, I especially like Jormungndr and I'm planning on stealing the idea but aptly naming him Maverik!

It truly is an amazing and dynamic conversion... I've decided I'm gunna do the same once I free up a weekend or three. Best get your preference on a surname now before we all start making "Maverik Lilyfoot, Defender of Bananas" models!

@Darkseer, Yeah but EVERYONE loves you blog! it's very useful, informative and full of good entries. If you ever stopped doing what your doing, I'd hunt you down! but honestly, if google wasn't my homepage, I'm sure your blog would be mine. Your work inspires many people, and even helped inspire me with my own MoTW back on post #88 GODSMOTE's hammer is from a WFB Dwarf Engineer, stinkenheim gave me the idea with the hammer from one of his works.

Okay, I'll quite my bitching.

PM sent :)

where is godsmote's hammer from? it wicked cool (like a lager). i am a big fan of the dark greys and reds. i use the same kind of coloring as well. feels more "grim dark" to me that way...

1) so how much weathering is too much? how do you find a nice balance for it? I've seen some people go over the top with theirs, which in turn takes away from the vehicle. That's what I'm worried about..

2) what are your best formulas for doing rust stains? I know how to do it, was just wondering if people have a better, or easier effect from your experiences

3) what motivates you to finish a vehicle? I really HATE doing them! I find them boring and very time consuming LOL

1. I prefer the more "realistic" weathering. Some metal/rust showing through on the edges and around the tracks. Some of the paint on the decals chipped away, and some dirt on the tracks and front. I definitely agree that too much weathering is a bad thing. No weathering at all can look cool too, but it has to fit the army. I definitely think that some weathering would look good on your tanks, since the whole army has more of a used/active feel than most static Space Marine armies.

2. Haven't found one myself.

3. Just getting them done. I can't stand painting tanks (though I have painted 7 Eldar Grav Tanks by hand), so now I have an airbrush that helps a little. I haven't really been inspired by any of my Rhino tanks, so I haven't wanted to paint them yet. The individual guys are so much more fun to paint.

Love the look of Arjac. I may need to add my own chain to my Arjac, because that just looks cool.

@Wulfebane, haha MaveriK is fine. And goodluck on your model. When I get better or have more practice with the green stuff, I will definately re-do and re-work my miniatures.

@Darkseer, awesome! you made my day wolf brother!

@Matt D, I've always liked a more grim dark Space Wolf army. A reason why the 13th Company appealed to me, even more so after Prospero Burns. Loved the King series, but I feel like I've graduated to a different understanding and appreciation of the chapter, once legion as a whole. The Godsmote's Foehammer? it's already been answered in previous post.

@Dahli Llama, THANK YOU GOD! I was waiting for someone to answer and reply to my questions. I really needed that help there! I was disappointed that I didn't get any replies to my questions and felt discouraged, a reason why I felt like I shouldn't update any more work on this thread. But thank you so much, it's hard when your stuck or deterred, especially when you asked for some help or looking for answers but not getting any. Thank you for your help! much needed and appreciated.

Future post will include, more heroes like Rune Priest, I have one special model in mind. Just waiting for it to be shipped. I also have an appropriate looking GW choosers that I haven't seen anyone do. I also have a Wolf Priest on a bike, in the works. Do any of you have any other request for special characters I should do from Prospero Burns? please feel free to post and let me know, and I can hopefully do the model justice. I also have a Wolf Scout with a MoTW in mind.. I haven't really seen anyone do a Wolf Scout with the mark, so I figure why not?

--EDIT--
Thank you for looking!

I had a feeling that the hammer was from WFB Dwarfs. Great looking models, I always get on here just to see if you have any updates, it's just that I don't comment much. I'm more of the creepy lurker stealing ideas for my models lol.

Another great figure. As always you have a penchant to pose and style the figure in a way as to tell a story. Invaluable skill. I did not have the time to go through all the posts, but is that fist from one of the warmachine models?

Archived