Sons of Orar blog

Ravendove

Maybe it's just the building they're sitting on, but there's something about that brown edge that sets my teeth on edge a little. That said, if you like it then stick with it, I like black rims, I think they help emphasise the figure and obscure the fact that it's a bit of plastic sitting on another bit of plastic, but I can see why they might seem 'unfinished' or 'unprofessional' too. Personal taste.

I can definitely see your point though. While I'm happy with the brown, it might be good to see what a darker brown looks like. After all, the whole point of this project log is not just to 'show off' my miniatures but to develop and improve based on feedback and criticism. I'll paint one up and see what people think.

Great work on the basing and I'll go for impartial on the rim front, they look pretty good as they are IMO.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks buddy.

I've now cleaned the pieces for the Dreadnought and separated into piles for spray undercoating separately. Black, Red and White respectively. Those eagle-eyed among you will notice the lack of the leg armour plates in there. I've been trying to get a hold of either the regular Dreadnought leg plates or the Ironclad ones, with no luck. If anyone has spotted any available on obscure bits sites, do let me know.

Looking likely that these won't get basecoated until the weekend due to lack of light (I get home from work after 6pm) and surplus of rain (yay England).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-03%2006.57.11.jpg

I also received a mysterious package through my letterbox last night from a friendly user on B&C. Who wants to guess what was in it?

I also received a mysterious package through my letterbox last night from a friendly user on B&C. Who wants to guess what was in it?

Since I've forgotten if it was discussed before, and if there's a hint there, I've missed it, I'll take a random guess.

Jump Packs?

I skimmed the Interwebz for leg plates. Have you tried eBay? Clicky. Furiosio leg plates are also seemingly in slightly greater supply, and some of them look good. Click, click. (Taken from eBay because I was already there, but I found the latter leg plate available on Letthedicedecide.)

Jump Packs?

Decals! Yes, it appears someone had had enough of seeing the Sons of Orar without their glorious iconography so decided to send me some custom-printed ones, along with two full sets of Crimson Fist squad designation decals and Microsol/set.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-03%2006.54.43.jpg

Many thanks to Marius Perdo for shipping these over. If you haven't yet, check out his tasty Doom Fists project log.

Not having worked with decals for quite some time, I picked one 'volunteer' to be my test subject. Here's the wonky results of the first attempt on Meltagun Marine.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-03%2006.55.28.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-03%2006.55.14.jpg

The Orar symbol is a little darker in colour, so once I get into the swing of it I'll be painting over these symbols a little to brighten them slightly.

have you thought about just leaving the decals in the darker red? it could potentially add a bit of depth to the overall composition of the models without you having to do much..

generally id suggest putting them on everyone before you start messing with paint, the difference isnt huge by the looks of things and consistancy throughout the army will look better than colour matched but wibbly.

The darkness of the red is confusing given how bright Dracul's original image is. It was all new ink, printed from Paint to keep confusing tick boxes to a minimum, so why it went darker...no idea. Property of the decal layer on the backing paper? The same think did happen for my Doom Fists sheets.

@ironbear: As for location: Downloads/Decals/Loyal Space Marines/Sons of Orar decal sheet.

Or found here.

Obviously a massive shout out to Dracul for all his (usually) overlooked work.

It is easy to do if a template image sheet exists (as was the case for this) and you own a colour printer (either ink jet or laser, there is decal paper for each), and have decal paper (I paid £1.19 per sheet for mine), and a very good quailty spray varnish, preferably matt to kill the shine (I use Winsor & Newton All Purpose Matt Varnish which artists use, pricey at £5.95 for 150 ml but quality matters with decals).

Biggest expense will possibly be ink but not sure. I loaded my HP printer with brand new Magenta and Light Magenta prior to doing Ravendove's sheets and the Estimated Ink Levels show as full still (it must be lying). So at a guess the cost of making yourself two A5 sheets (A4 cut in half) is about £2? With a hair dryer it takes about 10 minutes for two A5 sheets, which unless you are doing Apoc formations should be enough to keep anyone going for a while. In this cased the P&P was twice the cost of making the actual decal sheets, so as long as you have a printer and access to paper it is really quite affordable.

Again the speed comes from Dracul and others quality base images. Without them you will be printing nowt unless you have a scanner printer and are a wiz with some imaging software (and found a positional template, I am using the Anti-Smileys one, I have no idea where I found that one on the tinterwebs). Aware of a semi-threadjack here but having done this for Ravendove has meant a minor deluge of questions and requests in my B&C messages.

@Chapter Master Kanithon: if he takes your dreadnought legplates he is a cheeky monkey as I sent him a pair of vanilla ones and ironclad ones already :D

As an aside I tend to agree with Lorenzen, the actual Orar symbol looking darker isn't too bad, but the FW CF ones are too bright then. Also for positioning I find having the base of the tactical arrow flush with the edge of the shoulder pad rim helps for positioning as well as minimising exposure to the curving of the shoulder plate. Not that I have done many, that would involve being focused enough to finish more than one miniature :D

Outstanding as always, none the less I feel the Sternguard could do with a little more.......... swagger. Don't know what it is that's missing and I love the gold shoulder guard trim, maybe some more purity seals? but still great!

Thanks for your input, definitely welcome this kind of feedback because it's a very valid point. I don't want to add more gold, as I think the armour trim and equipment is enough to make them stand out as Sternguard Veterans. It'll be nice to see how they look after the iconography goes on. I'm very open to adding some 'swagger', but what I want to avoid is adding a ton of bits and pieces to make each one more individual - because that's exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

Purity seals are a good call though. I have also considered colouring one of the knee pads in white and using that as a space for some personal heraldry, but again, worried that might be a little too much. I welcome other people's thoughts on this.

have you thought about just leaving the decals in the darker red? it could potentially add a bit of depth to the overall composition of the models without you having to do much..

generally id suggest putting them on everyone before you start messing with paint, the difference isnt huge by the looks of things and consistancy throughout the army will look better than colour matched but wibbly.

Yes I did give this some thought. The problem isn't really that they're darker though. You can't see it in the photo due to flash, but the decal colouring isn't flat - the coverage is very slightly inconsistent so at some point it would be good to even this out a little.

But it will definitely be something I do after the entire army is done [with shoulder pad decals].

Really liking the sternguard!

Looking at these reminds me that i mean't to send you a PM earlier this week.

I think I have 2 Dreadnought leg armour plates about somewhere. Think one of them's a death company part though. if you interested?

Appreciate the offer thank you, but as Marius just noted, he's actually just sent me a pair. I really don't want to come across as begging for parts either. Feeling guilty enough as it is having received transfer sheets for free. But thanks!

The darkness of the red is confusing given how bright Dracul's original image is. It was all new ink, printed from Paint to keep confusing tick boxes to a minimum, so why it went darker...no idea. Property of the decal layer on the backing paper? The same think did happen for my Doom Fists sheets.

[snip]

As an aside I tend to agree with Lorenzen, the actual Orar symbol looking darker isn't too bad, but the FW CF ones are too bright then.

That's the crux of it, basically. Darker or not, having the two shoulder pads look consistent is the more important thing (to me, anyway). I'm wondering if the reason they are so dark is due to the properties of the transfer itself, or whether the transfers just need printing at a higher DPI resolution - which could very well be the case. Either way, will have to experiment more with them before considering overpaint etc.

@Ravendove: it could be the DPI, the image size isn't very big so it might be that. When I did my Doom Fists overlay ones that I was happy with the file size ended up being huge (many MBs) specifcally as I needed high DPI as I was doing line overlays for a fists symbol.

The Orar sheet is 664kb, which given it is freely hosted at this site makes sense. Ah well, looks like they will have to be overpainted. It could also be when the ink is printed onto the decal paper istelf. Who knows? I've only ever printed about 8 sheets :P

As an aside I like the idea of white knee pads with some sort of heraldry, presumably something simple and stylistic in red? (given how small kneepads are).

PS you aren't begging, if some mental case just decides to offer help you didn't ask for that isn't begging, that is treating the bonkers person (me) with kindness and understanding.

I am honestly in awe of this army! The colours and painting is fantastic. It has made me want to paint a Sons of Orar army, but unfortunately I don't think I'd want my own army...I want this one. Back to the drawing board on which Chapter to start.

Noticed something of an issue with the new Force Weapon - the hand is roughly twice the size! Consider that idea scrapped then.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-03%2019.10.04.jpg

I would also like to apologise in advance. Something happened today which is going to cause progress on the Sons of Orar to slow considerably. Seeing as this forum is Power Armour only, updates may come a little less frequently for a while due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-05%2010.40.51.jpg

Ooops!

Noticed something of an issue with the new Force Weapon - the hand is roughly twice the size! Consider that idea scrapped then.

Is that a standard GK PA hand? :huh:

As for the, ahem, other issue...unacceptable, simply unacceptable, I demand SoO updates on a frequent and regular basis! ;)

Or at least a PM link to wherever you're showing the 'crons so I can watch another lovely Ravendove army grow ;)

I would also like to apologise in advance. Something happened today which is going to cause progress on the Sons of Orar to slow considerably. Seeing as this forum is Power Armour only, updates may come a little less frequently for a while due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control.

Blasphemous heresy!

:woot:

Man, I hate Hate HATE decals on shoulder pads ... I have to find a tutorial that works ...

Great show as always though :tu:

its a termie halberd so the hand is always going to be bigger, bit of cutting and pinning would solve it though..

although tbh the purity seal on it would look wierd, so if you did go down that route id be complaining at you anyway due to the messed up flow of motion.

all the necron buying people are doing is making me sad.. they dont even have 3+ saves anymore so you have no excuse.

Thanks for all your support during this difficult time.. laugh.gif

In all honesty, Necrons were actually my first serious army and the only one to get fully painted in all the years I've been doing this hobby. Everything before that was just piles of grey plastic. Collecting up a Space Marine army was just something to do while I waited for the Necrons to get re-released, but as you can see I got a little bit too 'into' Power Armour. Now that they're back, I'll be splitting what little hobby time I have these days between the two.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to start a Necron log. Finding it hard to keep one log active as it is. If you'd like to see some of my existing Necron stuff just do a google search for 'Ravendove Necron' and you'll get a ton of results from a couple of other notable forums. I really don't want to throw this thread off-topic so I'll leave it there. Promise I'll throw some PMs out if and when I start one. If you're curious, you can see them at:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/7/7/41859-.jpg

Right then... back to Power Armour! I've just basecoated the 2nd Dreadnought happy.gif

More Dreadnought, less awesome looking Necrons :woot:

So all the separate Dreadnought pieces are now undercoated in their base colours.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-05%2016.59.05.jpg

The point of this process becomes apparent when you start assembling the larger parts such as the arm. It keeps the white areas clean and crisp, while ensuring the red areas remain consistent (as painting the red over black would produce a slightly different shade for example). That and I'm lazy. Here's the converted Autocannon arm built using the same method as the last one. TL Lascannon, barrels get cut off and replaced with Imperial Guard HW Team Autocannons. The hoppers are joined together and added to the rear of the shoulder as an ammo drum. It also helps to balance the arm a little as without it, it looks very front-heavy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-05%2017.04.15.jpg

In some cases though, it's impossible to separate the base colours completely such as the right-shoulder mount and the power plant. In situations like these, out comes the masking tape. This one is tamiya brand, but it doesn't really matter.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-05%2017.01.42.jpg

Results of the masking after the black undercoat has been applied. The whole black area will get a coat of Badab Black wash, to finish off any of those small remaining red leftovers.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29108822/B&C/2011-11-05%2017.18.11.jpg

Now we're ready to start painting all the individual pieces while assembling some of the larger ones. For instance, the head (white) gets painted first, before the front of the Dreadnought gets assembled and painted.

maybe you could make a scout harvesting some of the desert plants? most of the ones youve got on the bases have medicinical use, and they also store water. both would be useful to an apothecary (or really anyone..) so you could come up with some reason for one of your minis to do that?

*imagines a commander with an upside down cactus in one hand, with a little umbrella sticking out* :)

Archived