Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dark Angels NEW Units Ideas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

LardO'Blood

LardO'Blood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 942 posts
Here are my various Dark Angels unit ideas.
Army Wide Rule:
Steadfast:
When charging a unit with this special rule the attacker must roll a D6, one the roll of a 1 the squad being assaulted may fire all its rapid fire and assault weapons at the attacking unit (unless the unit has relentless, then they may fire all weapons). If the assaulting squad is fired upon and takes a casualty they must take a morale check with no modifiers, if they pass it they may continue assaulting or may make a fall back move as if they lost close combat, they will automatically regroup the next turn. If they fail it they automatically fall back but do not regroup unless they have a special rule or they pass their regroup test. The assault then commences. If the attackers lose the assault and are forced to fall back the defenders do not make a sweeping advance. Instead the attackers fall back and the defenders may once again fire all their rapid fire and assault weapons at the assaulting squad. When firing the rapid fire and assault weapons at the beginning of the assault and during the fall back measure distances and place templates from the position of the models at the start of the assault phase. (Basically you can't be out of range because you are in base-to-base and templates are fired before they fall back)

Fluff for Ravenwing Chargers:
Soon after his promotion to Master of the Ravenwing Sammael noticed that a large number of his company's casualties were coming from squads comprised of excitable marines charging into close combat. After consultation with Azrael he was given permission to create a second division connected to the Ravenwing, the Chargers. This 30 man division was an addition to the Ravenwing however, the Ravenwing still contained 100 something brother marines. Recruits for the Chargers were drawn from assault squads and also the more excitable bike marines. The unit first saw action fighting Chaos marines on a forgeworld. Due to bad planning and overconfidence in the Charger's abilities 13 of the 30 man division were killed by chaos bolter fire. The chargers did however inflict a terrible toll on the enemy, each marine recorded a toll of at least nine chaos marines, the 13 who had died were killed approaching the enemy and never got the chance to attack. After thoughts of disbanding the unit Sammael decided to give his men a second chance, as the emperor had given his chapter. With better screening and support the Chargers saw action fighting the Tau, Tyranids and Orks. Since the day they were first deployed the division has not taken a single casualty.

Ravenwing Chargers Squad: 135 points (Fast Attack)
Ravenwing Sergeant: WS 4, BS 4, S 4, T 4(5), W 1, I 4, A 2, Ld 9, Sv 3+
Ravenwing Charger: WS 4, BS 4, S 4, T 4(5), W 1, I 4, A 1, Ld 8, Sv 3+
Unit Composition
1 Ravenwing Sergeant
2 Ravenwing Chargers
Unit Type
Bike
Wargear:
Power armor
Frag and krak grenades
Space marine bike (without teleport homer, no twin linked bolters)
Mace (sergeant has power mace) Maces are standard close combat weapons that give furious charge to the wielder. Power maces are power weapons that grant the wielder furious charge.
Twin linked bolt pistol
Special Rules
ATSKNF
Hit and run
Steadfast
Options
Add up to 3 ravenwing chargers for 40 points each
Twp Chargers may replace their maces with power maces for +15 points
One model may take melta bombs for +5 points
One model may exchange his mace for a power fist for +15 points.
A Ravenwing Sergeant may replace his twin linked bolt pistol and power mace for a relic blade for 5 points
A Ravenwing Sergeant may replace his twin linked bolt pistol with a twin linked plasma pistol for +15 points

Inner Circle Guard: 125 points (Does not occupy a FOC slot, one squad per army and the army must include Azrael)
Secret Protector: WS 5, BS 4, S 4, T 4, W 1, I 5, A 3, Ld 9, Sv 2+
Secret Bearer: WS 4, BS 4, S 4, T 4, W 1, I 4, A 2, Ld 9, Sv 2+
Unit Composition
1 Secret Protector
2-9 Secret Bearers
Unit Type
Infantry
Wargear:
Artificer armor
Frag and krak grenades
Bolt Pistol
Power weapon
Storm Bolter
Special Rules
ATSKNF
Fearless
Always Hunting (At start of Turn 1 roll a D6. If the roll is a 1 then the Inner Circle Guard has preferred enemy against the entire opposing army)
Retinue (If Azrael is taken with the squad then he joins the squad and loses his Independent Character rule. If the Inner Circle Guard squad dies then Azrael regains his Independent Character status.)
Keep the Secret! (If a non deathwing, non independent character squad is within 6" when an Inner Circle Guard model dies, that squad may be given preferred enemy against the entire opposing army if the Inner Circle Guard model had it. Dreadnoughts of any kind are not effected by this.)
Steadfast
Options
Add up to 7 Secret Bearers for 35 points each
Any Secret Bearer may take the Dark Angels Chapter Banner (Chapter banner as C:SM)
Any model may take melta bombs for +5 points.
One model may take a teleport homer for +15 points.
One model may exchange power sword with a thunderhammer for +15 points.
The Secret Protector may replace his bolt pistol and power sword with a relic blade for +10 points.
Any model may replace his bolt pistol with a plasma pistol for +15 points.
Dedicated Transport
May take any variant of land raider for price in C:DA
May take a Sprenten Dreadnought for price below

Mortis Dreadnought: 150 points
Mortis Dreadnought: WS 4, BS 6, S 6, FAV 12, SAV 12, BAV 11, I 4, A 2
Unit Composition
1 Mortis Dreadnought
Unit Type
Vehicle, Walker
Wargear:
Twin linked heavy bolter
Twin linked heavy bolter
Special Rules
Expert Aim (The Mortis Dreadnought has practiced its aim for hundreds of years. The dreadnought may shoot through allied or enemy models if LOS can be established as normal but the target unit does not get a 4+ cover save for being behind other models.)
Options
Replace one or two of the twin linked heavy bolters with any of the following (You CAN mismatch them or only take one):
Assault Cannon +10 points
Twin linked Lascannon +20 points
Twin linked auto cannon: +10 points
Plasma Cannon: +10 points
Missile launcher: FREE

Sprenten Dreadnought: 160 points (Dedicated transport for Veteran Squads, Tactical Squads and Inner Circle Squads. Fast attack or heavy support otherwise.)
Sprenten Dreadnought: WS 4, BS 4, S 6, FAV 12, SAV 12, BAV 10, I 4, A 2
Unit Composition
1 Sprenten Dreadnought
Unit Type
Vehicle, Walker, Open topped, transport
Wargear:
DCCW with heavy flamer
DCCW with heavy flamer
Cyclone Missile Launcher (As in C:SM)
Special Rules
Fleet
Assault Vehicle
Fire points and Access Points:
Open topped
Transport Capacity:
6 marines (No terminators! Even IC!)
Options
May replace either heavy flamer with a melta gun, storm bolter or plasma gun for free.
May take a teleport homer for +15 points.
More to come!
Dedicated Transport:
May take a drop pod for price in C:DA.

Deathwing Terminator Squad

UnitWSBSSTWIALdSv
Deathwing Terminator Sergeant444414292+, 5++
Deathwing Terminator444414292+, 5++

Deathwing Terminator Squad (Elite)..........215 points

Unit TypeUnit CompositionWargearSpecial RulesDedicated Transport
  • Infantry
  • 1 Deathwing Terminator Sergeant
  • 4 Deathwing Terminators
    • Terminator Armor
    • Power fist
    • Storm bolter
    • Deathwing Assault (As mentioned in C:DA4)
    • Fearless
    • Steadfast (As I wrote several posts ago)
    • One Deathwing Terminator Squad in the army may select any type of land raider for the cost specified in the vehicles entry.
    • Deathwing terminator squads may take drop pods for the points specified in the vehicle's entry, they are not subject to Deathwing Assault when deploying from drop pods. (5 terminators may fit in a drop pod)

Options:
    Any terminator may replace his storm bolter and power fist with...
    • Dual lightning claws for no additional cost
    • Thunder hammer and storm shield for no additional cost/+5 points (depends on play testing results)
    Any terminator may replace his power fist with...
    • A power sword for no additional cost
    • A chainfist for +5 points
    Any terminator may replace his storm bolter with...
    • A combi plasma, melta or flamer for +5 points
    One terminator per 5 terminators in the squad may replace his storm bolter with...
    • An assault cannon for +30 points
    • A cyclone missile launcher and storm bolter for +30 points
    • An autocannon for +30 points
    • A plasma cannon for +25 points
    • A heavy flamer for +5 points
    • A multi-melta for +20 points
    If no upgrades are taken save these, 3 terminators may replace their storm bolters with:
    • An assault cannon for +30 points
    • A cyclone missile launcher and storm bolter for +30 points
    • An autocannon for +30 points
    • A plasma cannon for +25 points
    • A heavy flamer for +5 points
    • A multi-melta for +20 points

Edited by LardO'Blood, 25 January 2011 - 02:04 PM.

Russ Brother 92

Russ Brother 92

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
    • 2,164 posts

Sprenten Dreadnought: 160 points (Dedicated transport for Veteran Squads, Tactical Squads and Inner Circle Squads. Fast attack or heavy support otherwise.)
    Unit Composition
    1 Sprenten Dreadnought
    Unit Type
    Wargear:
    DCCW with heavy flamer
    DCCW with heavy flamer
    Special Rules
    Fleet
    Assault Vehicle
    Open topped
    Transport Capacity:
    Options
    May replace either heavy flamer with a melta gun, storm bolter or plasma gun for free.
    More to come!
    Dedicated Transport:

only one thing about this - how could you have a dreadnought (single man walking machine) big enough to hold 6 men?!?

L_T_Banner_V2.jpgETL_2014_Banner_V2_03B_Custos_Fidei.jpg

Simple. The Iron Warriors are a battered and dented vintage AK-47. Iron Hands are a modern factory fresh FN SCAR, with every piece of tech possible hooked to it. Both will kill you stone-dead, but one's a lot prettier while it's killin'.

spartan249

spartan249

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
    • 1,798 posts
    I have a few qualms about your "Charger" squad and the "steadfast" rule.

I have never seen anything like Chargers other than Death Company, and even they don't get bikes. I don't understand the point of a unit like this. The fluff trying to explain them is a little... scrambled (really? no casualties? that sounds worse than Matt Ward's fluff). It doesn't fit in with the rest of the Ravenwing. It's just a Santa Claus unit.

Steadfast is basically a paired down version of Stand and Shoot from Fantasy, and much more convoluted in wording. Stand and Shoot isn't as ridiculously powerful in fantasy as it can be in 40k, given that weapons fire is not modified by distance or other factors and the weapons being fired are generally much more devastating. I don't see what the point of this special rule is other than to try to be Santa Claus for yourself.

And terminators bringing all the other heavy weapons? For what reason? Terminators are only slightly overpriced (the sergeant should be 5~10 points cheaper because of his power weapon), they don't need a buff like relentless plasma cannons or multi-meltas. They do fine as they are. Not to mention the headache you would get trying to convert the multi-melta and plasma cannon. More Santa Clausing going on here.

And what the heck did you change the Mortis Pattern Dread for? It's already here, and it already works. Just use that one.

And the other dreadnought makes no sense. This is what Land Raiders and Razorbacks exist for.

Edited by spartan249, 19 February 2011 - 10:36 AM.

8.jpg

They've got us surrounded? That simplifies the problem.

- General Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Ghost Knights, a C:GK Supplement under development.
    Grey Knights in 6th Edition.

Iron Hands record: Unknown (at least 500 games thus far)
    Ghost Knights record: 109W / 26D / 28L

Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
    • 3,291 posts

And what the heck did you change the Mortis Pattern Dread for? It's already here, and it already works. Just use that one.

Have to agree there, especially since the changed version is ridiculously expensive compared the existing version, and not that much better for the price hike.
    Current Projects:

Codex: Order of the Faithful Blade
    Final Version posted (save for minor tweaks)
    Index Astartes & Codex: Errant Falcons
    Still in Development

The Inquisition Project
    Because nobody expects the God-Emperor's Inquisition!

Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
    • 6,245 posts

Unit Composition
    1 Sprenten Dreadnought
    Unit Type
    Wargear:
    DCCW with heavy flamer
    DCCW with heavy flamer
    Special Rules
    Fleet
    Assault Vehicle
    Open topped
    Transport Capacity:
    Options
    More to come!
    Dedicated Transport:

only one thing about this - how could you have a dreadnought (single man walking machine) big enough to hold 6 men?!?

Not quite the same but possible if you consider it: Ring of Red.
    There are no Deamons in 40k

LardO'Blood

LardO'Blood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
    • 942 posts

Unit Composition
    1 Sprenten Dreadnought...

My idea was having a couple guys hang off of it like this:
    http://seemslegit.co.....es whoops.jpg

I have a few qualms about your "Charger" squad and the "steadfast" rule.

I have never seen anything like Chargers other than Death Company, and even they don't get bikes. I don't understand the point of a unit like this. The fluff trying to explain them is a little... scrambled (really? no casualties? that sounds worse than Matt Ward's fluff). It doesn't fit in with the rest of the Ravenwing. It's just a Santa Claus unit.

Steadfast is basically a paired down version of Stand and Shoot from Fantasy, and much more convoluted in wording. Stand and Shoot isn't as ridiculously powerful in fantasy as it can be in 40k, given that weapons fire is not modified by distance or other factors and the weapons being fired are generally much more devastating. I don't see what the point of this special rule is other than to try to be Santa Claus for yourself.

And terminators bringing all the other heavy weapons? For what reason? Terminators are only slightly overpriced (the sergeant should be 5~10 points cheaper because of his power weapon), they don't need a buff like relentless plasma cannons or multi-meltas. They do fine as they are. Not to mention the headache you would get trying to convert the multi-melta and plasma cannon. More Santa Clausing going on here.

And the other dreadnought makes no sense. This is what Land Raiders and Razorbacks exist for.

These are all pretty much santa claus units that I did when I was bored. What is wrong with that?

I was unaware of the Mortis when this was written.

Land Raiders and Razorbacks get boring.

Edited by Brother Tyler, 30 April 2011 - 12:41 AM.
    Hot-linked image turned into a link.

- 7eAL -

- 7eAL -

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
    • 2,041 posts

These are all pretty much santa claus units that I did when I was bored. What is wrong with that?

Nothing, just we tend to expect that players write with the intention of using the product.
    - 7e/\L -
    Current arbiter of the Codex: Inquisition Project @ the B&C: Home Grown Rules Join us - the resistance is active!
    "And what are the achievements of your fragile Imperium? ... It was built with the toil of heroes and giants, and now it is inhabited by frightened weaklings to whom the glories of those times are half-forgotten legends. I have forgotten nothing, and my wisdom has expanded far beyond mere mortal frailties." - Ahzek Ahriman

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
    • 18,613 posts
    Yep, unless you say its a joke unit, be prepared for people to try to balance it like theyd have to play against it every game.
    QUOTE (Wolf Guard Dan @ Dec 28 2009, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    When in doubt- Grey Mage.
    QUOTE (thade @ Jun 7 2011, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Also, Hammernators are for pansies. There, I said it.