Swift Claw Bikers

littlbitz

Recently I have received quite a few questions about one of my favorite units, The Swift Claw Biker Pack, this has been at the game shop I hang out at, Tournaments, and via PM and Email. Of course this made for some very good discussion and also prompted me to do a little more research.

After reading several Space Wolf Tactica articles it dawned on me that very few recommend the use of this unit. In fact many simply state that they are a waste of points and that the points are better spent else where.

My hope with this discussion is to shed some light on the uses and composition of the Swift Claws Biker pack and maybe even entice a few Wolf Lords to give them a try, or at the very least invoke some discussion on the matter about this under-used and frequently under-estimated unit.

I am a long time fan of my BloodClaws on bikes, and they have been a main stay in my army for several years. The most recent edition of the Space Wolves Codex only made me want to take more bikes as I feel they have improved over the last Codex that we had.

1. They dropped in points cost

2. They gained an additional weapon, giving them an additional attack in close combat.

3. They can now add an Attack bike at a minimal points cost

4. They now come with Frag Grenades.

Now, add in the fact that the 5th edition of the game is "The Mech Age" and you have a unit that is not only faster than mechanised units, but also reduces the effectiveness of much of the enemy's anti-tank fire power, especially with good use of the "Turbo-boost" rule.

1st lets look at the slot they take up, and how many units to take.

In a 1500 points game I typically take just one unit of Swift Claws though the unit will be slightly larger than if I were going to take 2 units, supported by my HQ on a Bike (usually a WGBL).

Once I hit the 1750-1850 point mark, I typically take 2 units of Swift Claw Bikers, and upgrade the IC to my "Standard" Wolf Lord.

At 2000+ I take a second HQ on a bike.

Of course the above is a guideline, and I occasionally vary this depending on mood, and trying new builds.

You can see that in a typical size game for my Gaming Group and in Tournament play I typically go for 2 units, why is this? Well, the tactics that my army uses relies on speed, 1 unit is good, but I find that if that unit goes down I am struggling, and fighting an up hill battle. These guys truly set the pace of the battle (more on how I accomplish this later), it has often been said in my group that if you want to beat me, you need to get rid of the Bikers quickly.

I am trying to figure out an even more biker heavy build, but that is more of a themed list and less balanced for the purposes I am trying to demonstrate here.

Now lets talk about the units composition. In my "typical" army list I use the following: Three Bikers, one with a Melta-gun, and one with a Power-fist, Plus an Attack bike with a Heavy Bolter. All of them are upgraded with Melta-bombs and are led by a Wolfguard with a Power-fist.

This gives me a unit of 5 models (6 if they have an IC attached).

2 of these units gives me 10 bikers plus any ICs I have mounted. I could take larger units but I find they become unwieldy, being more difficult to get into position, and or take cover (more on this later as well).

Well, gotta run for now. I will continue this as soon as I finish my Work out...

WOHO! He is back...

I never see you posting here nowadays, and this is really a good way to get back (or whatever, if you are not getting but, but has always been here :thanks:)

Anyway - looking forward to the rest of this, since I have always been a fan of your bike-mania and just managed to get my hands on 15-ish bikes from a friend.

- Natanael

Well, I am playtesting the very same unit without the meltagun, so I'm looking forward to the rest of your article. I also hestitate about giving the blood claw a powerfist after investing already on the PF Wolf Guard, in an attempt to have a cheaper unit. I have already lost the WG after being forced to put a wound on him so I see the point in getting the second fist.

Also I have a chaplain on bike ready to be converted into a Wolf Priest to lead the squad and give it a boost, do you find the extra points on the Wolf Lord are worth it?

Keep it coming!

Wow, thanks for such fast replies, I just left for an hour to go for a run...

Oh, I'm always around Nat, just quiet at times, but always lurking.

Chalx you are practically reading my mind as I finish this section of the article and discuss the reasons for my choices in the unit.

Another note on the unit size, you will notice that all of the bikers are equipped differently (at least when I have the melta-gun) this does allow good choice in wound allocation, and a smart Wolf Lord will use the Attack bike and bare biker to his benefit when assigning wounds. I find the extra wound on the Attack bike a great boon here.

The Melta-gun is the special weapon of choice for me on my Biker packs because I find it rounds out the unit the best. The Flamer while cheaper seems to only duplicate the role of the twin-linked Bolters and the Heavy Bolter which are both decent for thinning hordes. Besides, if I'm close enough to use the flamer against certain units I might not shoot at all in the fear that I may lose a potential charge.

I like the plasma gun, but I really don't want to pay all those points for a bike and then a weapon only to have it over heat on me.

That leaves the Melta with its great tank busting ability. This is the important part though, when I'm list building I don't consider this a "must have" item. I only add one if I have the spare points, and I certainly don't depend on it for tank busting especially given the Blood Claw's BS. If on occasion I pop a ride and expose the soft insides for a charge then woohoo! that was a nice bonus, but in reality its the Melta-bombs and the Fist that I depend upon for the real tank cracking.

That leaves the debate of Power Weapon vs. Power Fist on the Blood Claw Biker. I have tried both, and to be honest, I feel naked with just a Power Weapon. The Strength of a Power Weapon just doesn't cut it against many targets. Just one Fist in the Pack also feels risky to me, sure the WG Fist weapon is better, but at least the BC Fist gives me chances. With just a Fist on the WG I feel that its too easy to lose that model and the Packs only real punching weapon.

(Now don't get me wrong, I use Power Weapons, in my GH Packs, but those packs are typically larger and the chances of losing the WG Fist is much less than in the much smaller Biker packs.)

One last point is maximum damage. I want to cause as much damage on my target unit as I can in the initial charge, so I can free up and move on to the next target. It seems to me that I accomplish this better with as many high strength weapons as I can squeeze into the pack. Getting bogged down in combat with your Swift Claws is a problem, you really want to stick and move...

The Wolf Guard is equipped with the Fist for obvious reasons. I do have 2 other WG that I can and often do field, one with a pair of WolfClaws and the other with a Frost Blade. While both see lots of action, neither is as effective as the Fist toting Wolf Guard. If you opt to go with a weapon option other than a Power fist or a Thunder Hammer, then I highly recommend Melta-bombs on the Wolf Guard as well.

The Wolf Guard is a "must have" item for me in my Biker packs for obvious reasons.

The above pack even as is, can be a formidable unit, but what really makes this unit shine is its ability to act as a "Transport" for your Wolf Lord.

Some Wolf Lords will say to keep him cheap, and in 1500 Point games I do, but in most games its Wolf Lord Thorgrimm who leads his Swift Claws into combat.

I typically field him as follows: Wolf Lord on a Bike with Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Runic Armor, and Saga of the Bear. He costs as much as a Land Raider, but always gets his men into combat and causes more damage than any tank I've ever run across.

Frequently I run him with a Swift Claws Biker pack, Turbo-boosting into position, then in the next turn break him away and strike 2 targets at once, one with the Lord, the other with the Swift Claws.

If I field a 2nd HQ (which I tend to do) then I go a bit cheaper on the other one, usually a Wolf Guard Battle leader with a Frost Blade, and Melta-bombs. I keep him hard hitting, but cheap.

The only other real option is the Wolf Priest. A relatively cheap and effective way to increase the umph of your Swift Claws.

I would go with one or the other, you could take both in one unit but, once you go that far though you are starting to get into that "Death Star" Realm, and while a great unit, you really have to start comparing it directly to the TWC.

I do have to say, that while the Wolf Priest is a great boon to the Swift Claws, and use it on occasion, I really prefer the sheer destructiveness of my Wolf Lord, he just brings a smile to my face.

The Rune Priest? in my opinion, he really has no place in a Swift Claws unit.

Next I'm going to discuss the purpose of the Swift Claws unit in my army.

Very Good stuff Bitz, thanks for taking the time to write this up and discuss a favorite unit of mine.

I think in the beginning I was upset about the loss of our attack bike squads and was to quick to cast aside the thought of using the SCB unit even after some success in early playtesting. Just to many other new things to try out I guess....

I have recently dusted off my bikes and have been playing around with army lists that include them so your advice is very timely for me. When I was playtesting it was like you said "the sure destructive force" of my wolf lord that impressed me the most. I favored the TH/SS RA with SotB, expensive but ouch.

Speaking of which if you have not planned on it already please include your Lord's load out and what success or lack there of that you have had with the different load outs you have tried.

Oh also what experience you have had with running a TWM unit in addition to a bike squad.

Thanks and please carry on brother.

Vrox

Well, I am playtesting the very same unit without the meltagun, so I'm looking forward to the rest of your article. I also hestitate about giving the blood claw a powerfist after investing already on the PF Wolf Guard, in an attempt to have a cheaper unit. I have already lost the WG after being forced to put a wound on him so I see the point in getting the second fist.

Well, you know what's better than charging into a MEQ unit with 3 Power Fist attacks? 6 Power Fist attacks, that's what. The extra 25 points is well worth the investment.

Valerian

Brilliant Littlbitz - thanks for the post, the info and more to come.

As you know, I love the bikers as well and have them in every army I play. I'm still on a steep learning curve for them though. They always play an important role, but often due to bad rolls on my part - they have never really "rocked" in combat.

I'm looking forward to hearing more on those tactics - and also what load out you use for a lord at 1500points. I use the Wolf Priest and while those re-rolls are really handy (especially for hitting tanks with meltabombs when they have moved 12"+ and you need a 6) but he often lacks proper punching power once in combat - especially against MCs.

I actually reckon a Rune Priest could be quite useful in a correctly assembled Swift Claw pack due to the capability to have a nice mobile anti-psyker and use his other powers to some effec.

One of the great things about the bikers is that on the final turn they can change an enemy held objective into a contested due to the turbo-boost or a plucky charge. (At least I'm sure non-troops units can still contest objectives)

Well Vrox, to be honest, I have tried quite a few load outs. My current load out (as described above) is the result of trying out several configurations.

I don't want to get off topic by starting to ramble on about the "Old Codex" but I will take some time to talk about it to explain the progression of my use of ICs on bikes and the use of Blood Claw Biker Packs (Swift Claws) (at Vrox's request).

Towards the end of our last Codex I was running one Large Blood Claw Biker pack with 2x Powerfists and a Wolfguard Pack leader with a 3rd (or a pair of LCs). This was led by a Wolfguard Battle leader on a Bike with a Boltpistol, Frag, and a Frost Weapon, this IC only cost me 117 points! Now, I also ran a Grey Hunters Attackbike Pack with Heavy Bolters this was also led by a Wolfguard Battle Leader on a Bike with Boltpistol, Frag, and a Frost Weapon.

This worked well at the time for a few reasons:

The larger pack was needed because each BloodClaw had few Attacks

The lack of Frag needed to be compensated for with numbers when attacking into cover

I was still running 2 Biker Packs with the potential to split into 4 different units

The Attackbikes were better as a support unit, especially given their higher BS

With the new Codex, I was forced to immediately make some adjustments. 1st off, I only had one fist in a Pack this reduced the high Str hitting potential, but the addition of the extra weapon added some power by increasing the overall attacks. The addition of Frag grenades, allows me to strike units in cover at initiative, this is a huge bonus. I lost Attackbike packs but gained the ability to take them in a Swift Claws pack. (I must note on this point that my feeling on this went from: :angry: to :lol: and finally now to :woot: I hope they never change it back)

My First Configuration with the "new" Codex was just as I am running the packs now, and my current Packs are more effective than they have ever been.

Where I really needed to tweak things was in the ICs. My first attempt saw me running them just as I had before. But, I had to alter some Wargear to make them different with the new rules for our HQs.

So, I took one Battle Leader with a Bike, Frost Blade, and Wolf Tail Talisman, and the Other without the Talisman. The hardest thing for me to swallow here, is that I was paying more points for fewer attacks! Also, in the last edition of the Codex, the Battle Leaders would frequently break from their respective packs and join together to hit hard units. I found that with my new configuration I didn't do this as often and this reduced the effectiveness of the 2 characters.

After a few games, I felt the Sagas calling me, these new rules were too cool not to try. 1st I tried giving Warrior Born to a Battle Leader, but he was to fragile. (I now reserve Warrior Born for my TWC Lord)

So, I upgraded him to a Lord and gave him a Belt of Russ. Still I found that the random Power Fist could spell his doom before he really got rolling.

So, Saga of the Bear it was.

At first I was sticking with the Frost Blade, but then I found with such durability I could tackle Big Nasty stuff, so I switched to the Thunder Hammer, nothing could kill him in one blow anyway.

At that point the Belt of Russ, while good was kinda silly especially since my Bolt Pistol now didn't give me an extra attack, so in comes the Storm Shield.

I played with this Lord for quite some time, and it was only after a couple of Tournaments, that I noticed that the difference between a 3+ save and a 2+ would be huge, I am already spending so many points on my Lord that I figured whats a few more. So in came the Runic armor. I haven't looked back since...

My second IC leading the other pack has changed little. I still run the Wolfguard Battle leader quite frequently. For his points I could run a Wolf Priest on a Bike, and that is certainly a model I am working on and will be using in the near future.

Sorry for the rambling...

Using the Swift Claws in conjunction with the rest of the Army:

The first thing I think is common sense but I think it needs mentioning as it seems to be the main reason why Wolf Lords don't like to use Swift Claws.

1. Swift Claws are not Thunder Wolf Cavalry! (Using Swift Claws to Spearhead an Assault)

Yes, they both compete for that Fast Attack Slot, but their uses are quite different, if you are consistently trying to place your bikers center and charge them at the enemy as fast as you can go, then they will (more often than not) get shot to pieces. They just don't have the resilience or the numbers to do so. This is what Thunder Wolf Cavalry models do, and if that is your goal, or need in your force then use them instead of the Bikers.

Now, I try to be very careful with my wording most of the time and try to avoid certain words when discussing tactics. Words like NEVER and ALWAYS, should send up a red flag. In a true tactical situation, things are fluid and constantly changing. Rules will sometimes be broken in order to accomplish the mission, and this is ok, as long as you know why you are breaking this rule and know the risks involved ahead of time.

That being said there will be times when your Bikers are pressed into front line duty, and find themselves spearheading your force. I think the trick here is ensuring that your Bikers are properly supported.

Thunder Wolf Cavalry are a good choice, though believe it or not I currently use a Blood Claws pack in a Rhino. Why on earth would I do that? Because they are a cheap scoring unit. Care has to be taken to keep the Pack Leader alive, though if you are planning to keep an objective with those guys.

When would I Spearhead an assault with Swift Claws?

A.Terrain is poor, this is the biggie for me. At some Tournaments, terrain can occasionally be sparse. 25% of the board is a lot of terrain! Try it one time, take a board corner, fill it completely with terrain, then spread it out and see. I don't know why Tournament Organizers feel the need to set up Battlefields like they are Fantasy games, but that is for another rant, er, I mean discussion.

First turn is important here, you are going to have to risk the possibility of your opponent seizing the initiative, but so be it. Set up your Swift Claws as close to your line as possible, and in your first turn just send them forward, following up with the rest of your force as a second wave, in support.

B. Dawn of War, if my opponent has first turn and has set up center across the halfway line. Depending on my opponents army make up and units he has deployed this may be worthwhile. Force his hand, and push forward by coming on in your first turn and Turbo-boosting forward. I like to use a staggered approach here using a forward biker unit, to protect the 2nd with both ICs lumped in here.

When using this technique, I frequently hope to wipe the unit out early so my Bikes can free up early and move on to other things. I am not going to tie up many other resources either, using the rest of my force to gain good position and hold objectives early. (I use a large Footslogging GH pack led by a TDA pack leader that is very hard to shift once in position)

I know I mentioned this before, but I am going to say it once more. I don't like to use my Bikers like this, but there are times when I feel its my only choice. I am sure there are times other than the 2 I mentioned above, but I just wanted to give a couple of examples.

Typically, if I am forced into such a maneuver I am against a very hard list, in a difficult mission, on an unfavorable board.

Thanks for reading all of my ramblings!

Feel free to comment away, to be continued...

Good stuff.

You mentioned in your 1st post that in 1500point games you try to keep your biker lord cheap. I agree with that, but as you said, Saga of the Bear is just plain necessary imo. All those points being instakilled by a Str8 weapon? No thanks on that. :HQ: What do you drop from your lord to keep him cheap?

Looking forward to reading more

@HDL, in 1500 Point games, my HQ plays a slightly different role, due to the points restraints he is less powerful and therefore less able to handle all situations so he typically stays with his pack, unless there is a "target of opportunity".

I "typically" run him as follows: Wolfguard Battle leader on a bike with a Frost blade, and Meltabombs. By keeping his cost down, I can usually afford a 2nd HQ.

Its funny as when switching back and forth between 1850 and 1500 point games, its not as simple as just reducing the points cost of my higher points list, I usually find that I have to revamp the whole list and change the dynamic of the way the list works.

My second HQ is usually a Rune Priest with my large GH pack, or a WGBL in TDA with a small Wolfguard Pack in a Drop Pod.

Note that I said typically, if I am ok with running just one HQ I will go for my Lord. Saving points by just taking a single HQ in that 1500 points game.

Using Swift Claws in Conjunction with the rest of the army continued:

2. The "Pincer Attack": This brings your 2 Biker units up separately, one on each flank. This tactic can be accomplished several ways, all with different set ups in deployment.

A. you could deploy your Two Biker packs on each flank of your deployment, and turbo-boost them along the board edges towards the enemy, each hitting opposite sides of the enemy.

B. you can deploy both packs together in the center of your deployment zone, then separate them, each heading in a different direction and then run a flank, in an effort to confuse your opponent.

C. you can Set up in a Refused flank type set up, but then turbo-boost in different directions, striking "one side" of your opponents force but from different angles. This last one, attacks one section of the army, rather than separating and attacking different elements, attempting to use the Turbo-boosting moves to confuse your opponent. This last one also works well if the Bikers need to operate alone for a period of time

Both A and B work well in both a wedge and a reverse wedge formation.

Thunder Wolf Cavalry once again are great to act as the "tip of the spear" in the wedge formation, though I typically use Blood Claws in a Rhino. (Actually I usually use both, as I do have a small TWC unit that is great for this)

In the Reverse wedge, I move forward toward center usually with my Large GH pack in an effort to lure in my opponent, running the Bikers up the flanks and moving in for support once the GH are engaged, the center is usually supported with a small TWC unit and the smaller GH pack, or the BloodClaws, both in Transports off to the side and a bit to the rear.

I like to use both A and B in a Wedge formation against Armies with strong Gun line that are going to stand and shoot, rushing forward from several angles in an effort to overwhelm the enemy. This works best if he has his ranged weaponry scattered throughout his deployment zone, and there is no way to really avoid his fire while advancing.

The Reverse Wedge is great against armies that are more assault oriented and want to close in on you, moving the Grey Hunters forward and center, especially if on an Objective are great bait. (Orks just can't resist this)

C also works well against a strong Gun line, but is best suited against an opponent who has set up a strong fire base in one area of his deployment zone, and there is an avenue of approach which allows you to get close while taking away LOS.

None of the above is automatic, remember The Battlefield situation will remain fluid, there will be times when you wont need to actually "close" the Pincers. Sometimes only one unit will need to come in for support, or maybe the center will be able to hold its own.

This is where the Swift Claws really shine over other units, they are never really committed to any one area of the Battlefield and are great at redirecting their attacks, especially with a 24" Turbo-boost. A last minute shift in direction, or a changing of target for the Swift Claws is a great way to keep your opponent off balance and reacting to your moves.

Great tips littlebitz, I'm working on a 1850 list with 3 Swift Claw packs with an Attack Bike, WG and IC (x1 WL, x2 WP) in each.

My question is what is the best support for them? Right now I'm running two GH in Drop Pods each

with a MoW, Wolf Standard and lead by WG in TDA with TH/SS and one with a Cyclone.

Have not had a chance to field it yet as its still an army in the painting and construction phase so its

not to late to adjust if needed.

BigJon

Hey BigJon, I like the thoughts behind your list. It actually sounds like your bikers will be supporting the Drop Pods :tu:

In a list like that, I would try and go with at least 3 units in Pods, that will give you 2 coming in on your first turn and hopefully be enough to keep your opponent busy while you get your bikes into position.

The main problem you are going to run into is that in 5th ed, its important to keep your troop choices alive in most missions in order to capture objectives. With your troops in Pods and acting as a "shield" for your Bikers while you try and get them into position, they are going to take lots of casualties early on, this will make it difficult to take objectives later in the game.

With 3 Packs of Bikers and the ICs to lead them, I would probably exchange the Pods for Rhinos. This will allow the bikers to do their job, and also allow the Troop choices to act in support of your assault units, and take objectives later in the game as well.

Of course Pods have their place in a list like the one you are going for, but I would be wary of placing all of your troop choices in them.

Hope this helps.

Next up: Using Swift Claws Part III, "The One-Two Punch"

Nice little tactica, bitz. I've always read your batreps with a lot of interest, loving bikers as I do. Very interesting to see your ideas. Is there a reason you don't put combi-meltas on your WG bikers to suppliment the meltaguns?

Thanks Wildfire!

I don't really have any reason at all as to why my WGPLs don't carry Comi-meltas.

It certainly is a good idea, especially considering their cheap points cost.

Lets talk a bit about the "One-Two Punch"

This is one of my favorite ways to use my Bikers.

I can set them up in one of two ways during deployment, I can either set them up together as one large group or I can set them up separately and then bring them together in their first movement phase.

I should also note that in a Dawn of War mission, I will typically bring all of my Bikes in on the first turn, and with turbo-boosting onto the board this maneuver is ideal. I hate having them come in piece-meal.

The Idea here being that as I run up a board edge the Packs are in a "Stack" one pack behind the other. Now, you would think I would lead with the "weaker" pack, letting the Battle Leader take the brunt of the punishment, in order to allow the Wolf Lord and his pack into the action unscathed.

This just isn't the way that Wolf Lord Throgrimm rolls however, and the opposite is true. My lead pack is typically led by my Wolf Lord. Why?

That is what he is designed to do, when Turbo-boosting even Las-Cannon shots will usually bounce off of his bike with his 3+ cover save, and if the odd shot does get through his armor, then he simply takes a wound. The Pack can take an enormous amount of punishment, and still make contact with the enemy.

This also leaves the other pack virtually unscathed. Allowing the 2 Wound Character to get into contact without any damage done to him.

Usually by Turn 2, (3 at the latest) you will be making contact with the enemy.

Sometimes, due to many factors, you will only be able to make contact with the enemy with one pack. This is where the One-Two part comes in, I will position my lead Pack for assault, then in a sort of Leap Frog maneuver, Turbo-boost the Second Pack Up alongside of the lead pack using the inevitable assault as cover for the next turn. Then in the following turn, I have a Biker pack deep in enemy territory.

If both Packs are within charge range then you have a lot of decisions to make, you could easily attack up to 4 different units simply by moving your ICs move away from their packs in the movement phase. Sometimes, I will break the ICs off from their packs and attach them to one another, this can be especially effective if you can catch a Devastator squad on either side.

One thing I try to keep in mind here, I trust my Wolf Lord. He has taken on squads of 20 Kroot and come out without a scratch. If you equip him like I do, and he costs as much as a Land Raider, then treat him like the unstoppable beast he is. That being said, there are times when you will want him to stay with his pack, especially if you are forced into attacking another unit that is geared up for Close Combat. (Something I try to avoid, unless I can suitably thin the horde with enough firepower first)

Rule of Thumb: Shoot the Assaulty ones, and Assault the Shooty ones...

The idea behind using so many bikes is an attempt to control the flow of battle with your speed. When pulling this maneuver if your opponent realizes what you are doing he may attempt to respond by shifting the majority of his force in an effort to halt your advance and get rid of your bikers.

You can (and usually should) then turn your One-Two Punch into a Feint Maneuver (which I will talk about next, so stay tuned ;))

Before I continue, allow me to mention a couple of things.

1st off, this Tactica is purely based off of my experiences with my Swift Claw bikers in my Space Wolf List. That being said, I am trying to avoid any "Theory Hammer".

Though, if something strikes me as a good idea, I will certainly mention it here.

That being said, I mentioned this before, but I like Wildfire's idea of Combi-meltas on the Wolfguard pack leaders. I have never tried this before, but rest assured I will be modeling some up and giving them a run ASAP.

I recently received a PM from HDL (hope you don't mind me mentioning you), and he mentioned the Wolf Priest on a Bike vs. taking the Wolfguard Battle Leader.

My thought on this is Point for Point I "think" that the Wolf Priest will add more to the unit than the Wolfguard Battle Leader. The only reason why I haven't discussed the possibilities at length is because I currently don't have a model for this.

Again, it is on my to do list, and I think I am going to be adding one sooner than later. Rest assured that I will be posting about his heroics as soon as I start giving him a run.

I gotta go cut the grass, but will post the next section on Feint attacks later this afternoon.

If I field a 2nd HQ (which I tend to do) then I go a bit cheaper on the other one, usually a Wolf Guard Battle leader with a Frost Blade, and Melta-bombs. I keep him hard hitting, but cheap.

Do you run your WGBL with Saga of the Beast Slayer, it would seem to fit his build?

No problem mentioning me at all Littlbitz.

On a side note about the WP - I have just been re-reading the rules for preferred enemy - and you cannot select it for something without a weapon skill. Which means my great bonus for using meltaguns against mechdar armies (where i need a 6 to hit usually) has just gone up in smoke. (Unless someone can find a nice rule which gets out of this.) :mellow:

Typically I don't Vrox as I really try to keep his cost down as much as possible. You are right though, it would fit, and I may even give it a try in the future. (especially against a certain Nids player I frequently face.)

Next up we have a "Feint"

This is just like it sounds. Primarily there are two ways that I will deploy if I am going to start out using this tactic. I will either setup my Bikers behind the rest of my force, or I will set up the majority of my army in a "Refused Flank" type set up with the Bikers all alone on my weak flank of the board.

In the First set up, in my first turn I will typically turbo boost all of my bikers in one direction and then watch for the response. This first direction is not my actual target however, and I move in this direction in an attempt to "Pull" resources away from the protected area.

In my next turn as I move my army into the actual target area I will again turbo-boost back in order to support the main assault group, leaving the pulled units where they are.

The second set up is especially useful if you have won the die roll for first turn and are setting up first. Deploy your bikers all alone on the far flank. Many times your opponent will place several units on this side of the board in an effort to respond to your deployment.

If he responds like this, then you simply turbo boost along your own board edge and use this movement to get your bikers back with the rest of your force.

If he does not place units in response to your deployment, then this changes things as you can run up the flank.

Sometimes one of the other maneuvers will turn into a feint. This is why I always try and have a secondary target for my Bikers.

When turbo-boosting into position, watch his response, if your opponent stacks a heavy response, then look for another target or avenue of approach.

Keep your opponent responding to your moves, not the other way around.

I do hope you have all been enjoying this. Please if any of you disagree or have anything to add, throw in your 2 cents worth...

Next I will discuss some general tips for using Bikers.

Archived