Red Scorpions

blackbabyjesus

Fantastic looking model, my friend.

I'm liking the coloring and tones of your models, and I'm wondering if you'd mind sharing your recipe for your Grey and Yellow?

Simply because I might have to paint some Red Scorpion alongside my Lamenters!

Fantastic looking model, my friend.

I'm liking the coloring and tones of your models, and I'm wondering if you'd mind sharing your recipe for your Grey and Yellow?

Simply because I might have to paint some Red Scorpion alongside my Lamenters!

the grey is Charadon Granite airbrushed over black primer, then drybrushed (yes, you read that right) with Adeptus Battlegrey, with a final drybrish of Astronomican Grey. Badab Black painted into the recesses for a little bit of depth.

The yellow is even easier, Iyanden Darksun, Gryphonne Sepia painted into recesses, add golden yellow and white to highlight.

Love that libby.

Well done.

Love the NMM? Must, get, colours for it!

No NMM there! all the gold is Shining Gold with a Burnished Gold highlight and Devlan Mud to shade.

@blackbabyjesus: Your models look amazing. I really like them. Your painting is incredibly smooth and your colors work extremely well together and are very vibrant. I hope you continue to post your models. I really like how your Librarian came out; the blue is excellent. I also really love the yellow you've got going for your marines, it's a nice bold and vibrant yellow without being harsh on the eyes. Your Las/Plas Razorback is really great too. One of the best conversions I've seen for that weapon load out and the paint job is excellent.

Do you use an airbrush for all of your models or just the tanks? If not, can you tells us what kind of paint you use and how you get it so smooth and even? I really love how these look and would like to know how you got such crisp and clean colors.

I airbrushed the basic colour onto the tank and infantry, the librarian was painted entirely by hand.

For smoothness, I use thinned citadel foundation paints (about 1:3 water:paint, it should be approximately the consistency of milk), I find you can get a really nice solid colour with only a couple of coats, even with yellow over dark grey. The only non-citadel paints I use are vallejo white and red, and the coat d'arms white triad ( http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/prod...1dd602cfe7165d0 ) for painting cold white.

• 1 month later...

Soo, the 'tale of gamers' thing kinda fell by the wayside by about 2 months.... damned work.

Thankfully, I'm still going to continue with the army, as the colour scheme is quick and easy and the forgeworld goodies are great!

Finally finished my first 500pts:

Librarian 100

Tactical Squad (10) 210

Lascannon,

Power Fist,

Meltagun

Razorback (lasplas) 75

Tactical Squad (5) 115

Power Fist.

Here's a pic of the last combat squad to roll off the production line:

gallery_43855_5376_74207.jpg

And here's a pic of the whole force as it currently stands:

gallery_43855_5376_23415.jpg

Only another 1500pts to go.... until I decide to add more :-(

Love the thread mate, the Sevrin Loth is a really nice piece, what blue did you use for him? You have done a grand job with the paint scheme, always liked the Red Scorpions. I have purchased a couple of conversion packs myself from FW but for use in my own Chapter. Can't really add much more that has not already been said other than: thread watched!

So, an update less than 6 weeks after the last, aren't I being good!

Here's the final 5 marines to finish off my core of tactical squads, they're 'assembled' to a point, arms are on with blu tack, and the guy with no arms at all is earmarked for the squad lascannon, which shall remain seperate until the last minute!

gallery_43855_5376_92527.jpg

Particularly pleased with this dude:

gallery_43855_5376_31390.jpg

Intention is for him to be the squad intelligence/comms guy, hence the auspex and little antenna on his backpack. Useless in game terms of course, but it'll add a little flavour to what is an otherwise (deliberately) quite plain force.

Just have to decide now, what's next... Loth's honour guard? The 3 Dakka Pred phalanx of doom? a biker contingent? Who knows?!

• 3 months later...

Soo, again work gets in the way of pretty much everything... c'est la vie!

On the up side, I've got some more photos of my slowly growing RS force, hooray. First up we've got the last 5 guys from tactical squad #2, all finished except for varnish (local GW has run out of purity seal, nooooooooooooooo), the fluffyness of the snow on their bases will be dealt with when they get sealed;

gallery_43855_5376_100685.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_14970.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_22854.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_157077.jpg

As you can probably tell, I had a bit of a nightmare getting the tactical squad markings to look 'right' with these 5, not sure why, but nothing seemed to go right with them. Just had to keep telling myself 'tabletop, tabletop, tabletop' over and over!

Next up, we've got my 'reward' project for completing the 2 tactical squads, Loth's Honour Guard. I wanted to save these til I'd reached a real milestone with the force so they were a real reward, but I just couldn't help myself any longe, they're just too awesome to not paint! The relic blades are a pain in the proverbial though, every time I straighten them within 20 minutes they're bent again, so I guess I'll just leave them wonky. These guys are very much still a WIP, so please C&C them to your hearts content, there's loads wrong with them that I can see, hopefully a few new pairs of eyes will see even more. Ignore the helmets, the sunlight washed them out massively and they're just a light grey+gryphonne sepia at the moment anyway.

gallery_43855_5376_138998.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_21641.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_253513.jpg

gallery_43855_5376_296799.jpg

That's all for today, away with work again til the end of april now, fingers crossed I'll be able to put out an update on my return!

Gorgeous Red Scorpions and in particular, your Sevrin Loth model. I really the like the clean, crisp painting style you have. My own army is painted in much the same way and I think you've really pulled it off. I just finished a Sevrin Loth too (Sons of Orar, though) - fantastic sculpt and one of my favourite character models. You've definitely done him justice.

If I have any criticism, it's that some of the larger armour plates could do with an edge highlight to bring up the contrast a little. I'm thinking things like tips of the kneepads, fingers, wrists, helmets, chest eagles etc just to give some slight definition to the armour. I'm also not that sure about the red tubing on the helmets.

Thanks very much guys!

@ravendove: have seen your Sons of Orar thread and I'm truly jealous of the red you've achieved! With regards the edge highlighting, I agree entirely, however I'm trying to keep the painting time for each unit below 10 hours so I had to compromise somewhere :-/ the honour guard though do have some slightly more extreme edge highlighting, it'll show properly when I get some decent photos of them.

@crazy eight: I certainly will be doing culln, probably not for some time though, I'll probably do him along with a squad of tactical terminators. Sternguard with a drop pod and another couple of razorbacks are the most likely next additions.

Archived