The Octaguide 2.0

Octavulg

Hey, could you work in the bit where I am Batman? That would be great.

Kidding aside, the guide really does work quite well, but I was noticing that you cut the formatting section? Or did I just miss it. I remember the last Octaguide giving the general format outline

Title=>Origins=>Homeworld=>Beliefs=>Combat Doctrine=>Organization=>Gene-Seed=>Battle Cry.

Did that get cut? Or did I simply miss it? I think it's a nice part of the Guide, because it showed, and then explained why to use this particular format over others.

Don't think that everyone here is trying to rip your idea into tiny pieces, stamp on it, burn it, and send each piece of ash to a different star. It's bad for morale.

Was there a memo or something that I missed?

His response is directed towards "The Shiny One".

Don't think that everyone here is trying to rip your idea into tiny pieces, stamp on it, burn it, and send each piece of ash to a different star. It's bad for morale.

Was there a memo or something that I missed?

His response is directed towards "The Shiny One".

I know, I was trying to be funny, by implying that we weren't usually so polite. I guess I fell flat. Whoops.

• 2 weeks later...
You are not the [blank] Templars

Many DIYers like to have the Black Templars be their training cadre (and gene-seed source). However, there are a number of both in-universe and out-of-universe problems with this. Why would the High Lords choose the Black Templars? They're headstrong, violate the Codex, and are completely outside Imperial control, even moreso than the usual Astartes independence. The High Lords would not trust them. Nor would they be a good choice for a training cadre, precisely because of their particular quirks – they'd pass them on to the new Chapter, which would provide the High Lords with another problem chapter. Added to this, there's the fact that most people seem to simply take the opportunity to recreate the Black Templars, thus raising the issue of why the exercise was undertaken in the first place. The Black Templars as a Chapter cadre raise far, far more problems than they solve. If you want a crusading Chapter, both the Imperial Fists and Crimson Fists were such (the Imperial Fists still are). Both use the Emperor's Champion (indeed, even non-Dornian Chapters have been known to do so). You do not need the Black Templars to have similar influences.

I just noticed the current C:SM actually states, on page 24...

Others, such as the Space Wolves and the Black Templars, remain stubbornly independent, looking to their own founder's ways of war and caring little of how they fare in the eyes of others. These aberrant Chapters were always few in number and their presence diminishes further with each passing decade, for their gene-seed is no longer the source of fresh Chapters.

Granted, I would think the Space Wolves and the Black Templars would be the Chapters least likely to get wiped out entirely, especially the Templars, but there ya go.

Indeed, one could argue that (the earlier the Founding, the better the odds), but it also speaks generically in regards to ALL the fully non-Codex Chapters, whoever they are besides the Wolves and the Templars (Only other GW Chapter that's even remotely non-Codex is the Iron Hands, and, well, they're in that list too).

• 10 months later...
Added a quick section on figuring out what you want (in planning), since I've been meaning to write it for ages and now people are totally going to steal my thunder! ;)

The new section is quite good. I couldn't find anything to pick on, in any case. ;)

I also found myself unintentionally re-reading the whole guide afterwards. Most informative, even for wannabe know-it-alls like myself!:yes:

Since you've been re-reading it: areas that could be improved? Tightened? Better explained? That are no longer relevant or accurate?

Nothing really leapt out at me, to be honest.

It's all well written, and makes a lot of sense.

About the only thing I can even remotely pick on is the title for the section "Thou shalt be all that you can be", which I reckon would look better as "Thou shalt be all that thou can be".

And that's really just me being pedantic, rather than helpful. :D

• 1 year later...
Glad to hear it. :smile.: I'm hoping to add something about doing those little blurbs in C:SM soon, so people like you don't have to sift through this behemoth if you don't want to make something massive. :wink:

Updated with a guide to writing the little blurbs from Codex: Space Marines (AKA: Octavulg's Guide to Not Using the Rest of the Octaguide Right Now).

A more sweeping update is in the offing, but probably not until May or so.

Thank you for your Guide of not using this guide!

I have fine image of my renegade warband but I found my background changing in many ways. After reading this guide I feel tempted to give up my long time failing IA and rather immortalize the key aspects in CCS. In Chaos Space Marines Codex there are very similar blurbs. So thank you for your good job!