AP4? NOOO!

LardO'Blood

Space Marine list:

Librarian

-Vortex of DOOOOOM

-Gate

2x 5 man tactical squads

9 man sternguard squad, powerfist on sergeant, 3 combi flamers and a heavy flamer

Ork list as I recall:

Warboss, power klaw and shoota

15 man hard boyz squad with nob leader

5 man nob squad

3 deffkoptas

Deployment:

The mission was 6 inch deployment and annihilation.

The board was set up like an army making a last stand or something so one long side of the board had a bunker with barbed wire and sandbags on a hill in the center of that deployment zone. The other side of the board represented the over run defenses so their was a wall of barbed wire across it. We agreed that barbed wire DOES NOT block line of sight or provide cover saves but is dangerous and difficult. Around the center of the attacker's deployment zone was a small stand of trees. In the right corner of the attackers deployment zone was a pileup of vehicles, wreckage from a previous battle. Various pillars of stone and barbed wire adorned the defenders right and left flanks.

We rolled to see who deployed first, and it fell to my ork friend to go first. He deployed his deffkoptas on his left flank, his hard boyz on the right flank and his nobz and warboss in the center bunker.

I deployed my sternguard and librarian across from his deff koptas, my first tactical squad around the center of the barbed wire wall and my second tactical squad behind the vehicle pileup.

To start the game he made a scout move with his deffkoptas towards my sternguard.

Ork Turn 1:

I failed to seize the initiative. His hard boyz moved and ran towards my closest tactical squad. The warboss and his gang of nobz charged manically at one of my tactical squads, rolling a 1 for running (fail!) His deffkoptas moved still closer to my sternguard and fired their guns at my sternguard (I think they were just the default guns). Fortunately he failed to wound a single sternguard.

Space Marine Turn 1:

The tactical squad on my right with the vehicle pile up moved out of cover to pour lead into his boyz to try and bait them in. The sternguard and librarian opened fire on the deffkoptas, the librarian instant killed two with vortex of doom and my AP4 sternguard rounds finished them.

Ork Turn 2:

Bwahahaha! My plan succeeded! The ork warboss moved in after my sternguard, fearing their wrath if he delayed their desruction. The hard boyz charged at my tactical squad taking the bait. Fortunately, I made every save from the boyz and killed 4. At this point he was at 9 models and failed his leadership check, I sweeping advanced him. Only warboss and nobz left.

Space Marine Turn 2:

I knew I wanted another round of shooting against the nobz and warboss before the inevitable assault so I decided to move the closer tactical squad in. The sternguard managed to take the warboss down to 2 wounds and three nobz down to one wound. The tactical squad rushed into close combat with the remaining orks, the tactical squad was entirely destroyed except the sergeant and did no damage. Thankfully he passed the morale check.

Ork Turn 3:

Close combat continued, the sergeant finally died, dealt no wounds. The orks consolidated towards my sternguard.

Space Marine Turn 3:

Librarian vortexed two more nobz so he was down to two wounds on the warboss and 3 nobz with 1 wound. Sternguard shooting with bolters and the combi and heavy flamers whittled him down to just a warboss with a wound and a nob with 1 wound.

Ork Turn 4:

The orks charged! The squad had to go through the barbed wire and lost the nob to dangerous terrain! Hurrah! My librarian force weaponed the warboss before he could strike. tAbLeD!

Final Score:

Space marines won with four kill points

Orks lost with one kill point

Conclusion and Lessons Learned:

My particular opponent likes running after the closest thing.

Sternguard just RIPPED orks, definitely a permanent part of my list when I play him.

In a strange way I wish I had lost, I probably would have learned more. Any comments or criticism on how the battle report was written? Its my first so don't be lenient in your criticisms.

Seems like you have some solid gaming skills :o

550 points is a whole different story from 1500-2000... beyond the obvious, because the builds you get are completely different.

If your ork friend had taken some Lootas... you would have been in for some trouble!

And yes, we keep forgetting about AP4-5... until we face a Nid, or IG or Ork and they start crying about no saves... then we remember xD And that is just why it doesn't make much sense shooting a missile or lasscannon to a green skin :P

How's the quality of my battle report do you think?

I like small battles because at 1500 or so my bad memory takes effect and I forget to move or shoot with things. I played a 550 against nids today with the same list and won 3 to 1. This seems to be my new list!

Its quite simple... and in all reports, at least a deployment pic is appreciated. Again, its low model count (though the Ork has as many infantry models at 550 as I do in a 2k DW list B)) so its easy to keep track of the action.

If you're comfortable with those points, don't change ;) I just find it a bit lacking in order to allow certain builds, but again, I like playing my tournament lists so I can know them better... and tournaments in my area are 2k.

I am thinking of starting a small league with some buddies and starting IG... but that's for next year.

Good battle report, I rarely read a whole one, but at two screens long, it was concise and readable.

I agree a picture at the beginning would have been better than the first bit of description.

I love low point games, small boards, Kill team etc. They mean you can fit in a quick game if you have a busy life!

Do some searches for Arena Of Death rules, Sentry missions etc, they can offer some great spins on small games, that play to their strengths.

And yes, as a newly spawned Tyranid player, I miss my armour!

How's the quality of my battle report do you think?

I like small battles because at 1500 or so my bad memory takes effect and I forget to move or shoot with things. I played a 550 against nids today with the same list and won 3 to 1. This seems to be my new list!

Not saying the list is bad but what if someone brings armour?

What if? Thats why I brought my land raider!

I always carry my land raider so I can just walk over people who try to get tricky. Thats mostly how I beat the nidz the other day. First targets were the zoanthrope and the trygon. My lascannons took out zoanthrope on turn one and then focused on his hive tyrant, I killed it just before it would have been able to assault me. My librarian got lucky and sacrificed himself to slay the evil trygon with his force weapon. The battle ended 5 to 3 me. I lost a librarian and two 5 man tactical squads and I killed his zoanthrope, hive tyrant, trygon and two gaunt units.

EDIT: If you guys liked the report I will be doing a 4000 point battle later today and will try to make a live report, as such it will probably nice and short like this one. If you want I can type up a longer version to elaborate more.

Well my two friends I play with are Orks and Tyranids. The deal is if my tyranid friend pulls a trick like bringing a trygon then I get to use my land raider. Also in case my tyranid friend decides to bring space marines (he owns those to) then I have a land raider to make up for my squads all having flamers. I usually don't play them though, the only fun thing about it is tank shocking ork boyz under 11 guys off the board or killing his synapses and armored threats by turn two and then wrecking all his army because nothing else can harm the land raider. In 500 point games these are my only threats to land raiders:

ork warboss with power klaw (Not a threat, he usually runs with a nobz squad, I just have a full squad rapid fire him and his squad and a depleted squad or a combat squad assault to pin him down for a turn. After that I charge with the squad that rapid fired the turn earlier. Or I force weapon him out.)

trygon (I always end up solo force weaponing him with my librarian, best 100 points I've ever used)

hive tyrant (Stumped on how to beat him at low point games, usually I just evade him while firing bolters and missiles at him or get lucky with a force weapon)

zoanthrope (Turn 1 instant death him, with two lascannons its not that hard. Or if I'm not using a land raider I missile launcher it to death on turn 1.)

Basically I will only use the land raider if I end up bringing a bunch of flamer squads against a marine army or if he tries to trygon me. It's nice because it lets me figure out new units my friends buy before they can play against a list they can beat...My only problem with this list is that they can completely screw over my battle plans if they can manage to kill my librarian early before he can force weapon something big.

I plan on building a list that can suitably counter the majority of their lists that I can just practice running that. It is fun playing around with a list each game to see what you can do. I still want to try terminators, devastators and assault marines at 550. Expect this thread to be upgraded frequently with battle reports, we do a progression like this:

Orks vs Space Marines

Space Marines vs Tyranids/Ultrasmurfs

Tyranids/Ultrasmurfs vs Orks

Repeat. We're currently on Tyranids/Ultrasmurfs vs Orks.

But knowing before hand the opponents list...

I for example play 1 or 2 friendly games vs a buddy who usually plays BA and IF... but also has 2k of necrons.

I only play DA (though I could probably build 2 or 3 more 2k chapters xDDD), and exclusively DW so...

But its fun to see someone taylor a build vs you and still being tight games :tu:

Okay guys.

There is a new kid in our gaming group, he is fairly new and the job fell to me to supply him with an army.

We have also upped the point costs to 600 and I think I will abolish the rotation now that we have 4 players to end all the list tailoring. I am playing Orks Wednesday and I shall be bringing a camera for spectacular dice rolls and before/after shots.

Off topic: has anyone noticed how good Greenwing are at small point battles with special weapons in 5 man squads, uber chaplains and cheap venerables?

The battle was 600 points, Orks vs Dark Angels.

Space Marine list:

Librarian

-force barrier

-hellfire

2x 5 man tactical squads, one with power sword and flamer, the other with power fist and flamer

LRC

Ork list as I recall:

Warboss, power klaw, a couple of other upgrades

5 man nob squad, 1 power klaw

25 boyz, nob with power klaw and eavy armor

25 boyz, nob with power klaw an eavy armor

Deployment:

The mission was 6 inch deployment and annihilation. (Like usual)

Sorry no picture today. I was up late doing homework last night and forgot to pack a camera.

The board was scattered with barbed wire (no LoS blocking but difficult and dangerous), a few stone pillars and a few sand bag embankments. Several trees were also scattered around.

For the first time I deployed first. (YES!) I deployed my LRC in the center and the two squads around it with the librarian attached to the squad on the right. He deployed directly opposite, his boyz squads facing down my tactical squads and his nob/warboss squad facing down my LRC.

Dark Angels Turn 1:

He failed to seize the initiative. I opened fire on his nobz and warboss in the center of the map, my bolters were just inside 25 inches. The squad was reduced to three nobz and the warboss, they failed their morale check and went off the board.

Ork Turn 1:

Typical ork first turn, move and run.

Dark Angel Turn 2:

I poured all my fire power into the boyz squad facing my librarian. They were whittled down to 10.

Ork Turn 2:

He moved again and ran with both squads, he forgot to activate Waaaagh and didn't get into assault (phew!)

Dark Angel Turn 3:

Flamer goodness. Librarian and the power sword tactical squad used hellfire and flamer, the squad was down to three. Bolters finished it. On the left my flamers and LRC took the squad down to about 10. I assaulted and lost 3 marines, thankfully, I won the assualt by 2 and he failed his morale check. I sweeping advanced him. Game over.

Final Score:

Dark angels annihilated all orks.

Orks lost with no kill points

Conclusion and Lessons Learned:

Orks fail at morale checks(Pun not intended).

Crusaders are just plain mean against Orks at 600 points.

Sweeping advance is very fun.

I need to do a couple one on one battles with this guy to teach him the finer points of the game and help him get better, he currently has no wins, 1 tie (against me, urgh. It ended on turn 2 before I could finish off his first boy squad) and 4 losses.

Does anyone have low point cost ork tactics I can teach him? I feel really bad...

Taking a LRC at 600 points should make you feel VERY bad... shame on you!

And vs a non-transport Ork?

How was he supposed to stand a chance...assaulting with power claws to your LRC?

Besides the unbalacing of taking that AV14 behemoth...I'd say he needs some lootas (1d3 S7 shots per model) to deal with marines... and either a couple of koptas or a wagon with deffrolla (if possible mek inside).

Another option is going for boom-sticks (think they're called like that).

Taking a LRC at 600 points should make you feel VERY bad... shame on you!

And vs a non-transport Ork?

How was he supposed to stand a chance...assaulting with power claws to your LRC?

Besides the unbalacing of taking that AV14 behemoth...I'd say he needs some lootas (1d3 S7 shots per model) to deal with marines... and either a couple of koptas or a wagon with deffrolla (if possible mek inside).

Another option is going for boom-sticks (think they're called like that).

Unbalancing... my eldar 500pt list says go on take a 600pt list with two Land raiders... see if I care... as long are you are not BT with blessed raiders....

Lootas in Battlewagons with a force field mek... sit back and dakka marines... when crusader gets near... roll forward with that deathrolla!

Come on Hellios, we both know that taking a LRC vs Orks in hands of a new player... is very unbalanced.

Even in hands of an experienced player, those 600 would have NO WAY of dealing with AV14 besides the PK.

My GF just started 40k because of DE and she's never played. She's got something like 400 points... Should I take 2x5 marines, captain and say 1 vindicator? or a CC Dread?

I mean, in my last tourney I faced orks which had NOTHING to shoot at me with more than S7 and in all some 4 PK, 1 nob unit and 1 deff rolla. Anihilation, I won 6-5 (an I play DW... 9 KP in total!) and only because he had a LUCKY roll with a PK vs LRC (6,6,6... gg xD).

Come on Hellios, we both know that taking a LRC vs Orks in hands of a new player... is very unbalanced.

Even in hands of an experienced player, those 600 would have NO WAY of dealing with AV14 besides the PK.

My GF just started 40k because of DE and she's never played. She's got something like 400 points... Should I take 2x5 marines, captain and say 1 vindicator? or a CC Dread?

I mean, in my last tourney I faced orks which had NOTHING to shoot at me with more than S7 and in all some 4 PK, 1 nob unit and 1 deff rolla. Anihilation, I won 6-5 (an I play DW... 9 KP in total!) and only because he had a LUCKY roll with a PK vs LRC (6,6,6... gg xD).

Well I don't believe in tailoring lists... unless it is narrative list... or some times in a campaign if I have an army pool of say 5000pts to make a 1,500pts list I might do some tailoring.

Orks have a problem with armour... tis true... and as for DE I wouldn't be scared if you took 10 guys a captain and a vindicator... I would feel ooo free food... but that depends on what 400pts your gf has and if she lacks experiance she may well die whatever you take.

Orks can really only really trust PKs or DRs to take out Land Raiders... I mean unless you get good rolls all the time for Zzap guns or Shokk Attack guns....

Hards times to be had but the Orks should have a very good numeric advantage in 600pts when someone has a LR.

I suppose. It was just to tempting to resost :)

I do feel bad so I'm going to teach him more about playing 40k today.

I think I'm going to make a steady list, based around sternguard and a dread. This way I won't fail against light armor or nidzilla.

My GF just started 40k because of DE and she's never played. She's got something like 400 points... Should I take 2x5 marines, captain and say 1 vindicator?

I don't know much about DE but try a 5 man squad with a flamer and a ten man squad with a heavy bolter and flamer. (unless you play codex marines for Greenwing), a captain with a power sword, stom bolter and bolt pistol.

A new kid in the gaming group is starting SW so we may have a few iconic rivalry battles. Next week Im playing ultras/nidz.

My list idea:

Librarian

5 stern guard with combi plasma, flamer and power fist

Dreadnought with AC and HF

2x 5 man tactical squads, power weapon

Mine was a retorical question :) Ill actually get a setup she can easily deal with... the point is that she learns how to move, shoot, terrain, assault and all those things.

As for your list... wolves probably can deal with the dreadnought, though JIC I'd tell the SW to get some melta, plasma or ML or PF :)

Mine was a retorical question :) Ill actually get a setup she can easily deal with... the point is that she learns how to move, shoot, terrain, assault and all those things.

As for your list... wolves probably can deal with the dreadnought, though JIC I'd tell the SW to get some melta, plasma or ML or PF :)

Tanhausen... I haven't worked out the points with the nex dex... but if she has two squads in raiders and uses them correctly she should be able to mop that list you posted :P Unless you mean that is the list you would teach her with...

As for your points about wooping people... I try to read people some people don't like losing and feel really down when they do... others thrive on the challenge and will keep coming back... more so if you give them a harsh beating...

I was trained in rather rare stance when it comes to fighting with swords... it is really hard to use and puts you at a number of disadvantages if you stick purely to that stance and don't get it perfect. I then had to stop practising for a while and I moved and so on... when I found the time to take it up again I could no longer use it to a level where I could beat someone who was better than a novice... no one in my new group knew the style and so no one could train me up again (I have been practising over time and am a bit better now but still not to the level I was at)... so I started from scratch with a new style used by many members of the group... and one of the best people in the group was also one of those I could meet most often and so I fought him over and over again... When we first started fighting I wouldn't score a point against him with this new style (I could with my old one but I would still lose badly)... however outside of training and group sessions I had somewhere between 100-200 games against him in within two months and while it was slow I started to score points... and then I started to get narrow defeats... and then narrow wins... decent wins... flawless wins... and I got to a stage where I was that much better than him... and it wasn't just against him I proved at the very least a challenge to all the other top members of the club...

On the other hand I've seen people leave groups if they are nopt the best... and everything in between when starting out so I know what you mean... I just think it varies from person to person... Although in 40k I think it is important to take into account if someone has limited resources... if say a guy has a few basic tactical boxes and some other stuff none of which has any melta in it or weapons over S8 then yes taking a land raider is a bit harsh until he has built up his collection...

Agreed :tu:

We all know there is a huge difference between friendly games and competitive style. Not that you need to be a nasty person when comp... but we all assume people are less likely to forgive tactical mistakes is there is some kind of prize or even just a ranking.

Last night I played vs a buddy who takes Nids and basically only plays vs his brother (who plays IF, BA, SW and necrons). HE had never faced pure DW and he managed to scratch a draw and I drew my punches a bit because he just got tabled by his brother's SW... I was there to have a relaxed game and help him out play a bit better.

In my pool of friendly games, I'm the one who gets most games (trying to get 2 friendly a month + 1x3 game tourney)...and even if I'm no pro and just an average player, I try do come up into situations which you don't think of when reading the BRB or codex. Also, a BIG "if"...I follow 2 boards A LOT and I learn so much stuff.

For example, in a game I captured 2 objectives with 1 squad. Or when I had a squad in cover and he moved for 2 turns through scenary and assaulted... and he thought since he was already in cover, he would go with normal Iniative... or the time I was in cover, just in the edge and I thought I he was going in Ini 1 but since he finished assault move just out of the cover area but withing like 0,5 cm...he got normal Ini.

Those are fun, cool and normal situations I try to show/find out in friendly games, so when a comp game shows up, I already know about it ;)

Personally, I find no joy in tabling a noob. If I DO table someone, let it be because he has solid game experience and simply..I crushed them :huh:

BTW... if you were a REALLY nice person, you'd advice 10 GH with double melta or plasma in a rhino :huh:

Archived