Whirlies

shatter

I have three problems with them.

The first is where they fit in the FOC. I hear about how hard our Fast Attack slots are to choose a lot, but I think Heavy Support is considerably harder. Devastators have an extra wound (in the form of the Sergeant), have armor saves, et cetera. Unless they're being assaulted or have a template dropped on them, they're resilient.

AV11, on the other hand, is easy pickins and they only need a single lucky roll to hose it.

Choosing between the two, I find that 8 small blasts does a decent amount of damage for me and has reasonable versatility.

If I could take 2x Devastator squads and 2x WW, I probably would.

The other problem is strength. If the WW had a single shot (eg. krak) that I could fire indirectly, it would be fantastic. That downgrades the entire vehicle into a missile launcher when you do that, so it's not really OP, but it gives it some versatility.

The last problem is that I'm all troops. I have a significant number of jumpers on the board every turn, and the thing I fear most is a pie plate. Getting locked in combat saves me from normal shooting, but a plate drifting back over my assault squad is less than ideal. I've got this same issue with Vindis. If it's a small blast from a ML, that sucks, but it's not a huge deal.

Exactly jbarket - they are in a very competative FOC which has some great choices, and also is not always neccassary in a BA list. You pretty much cover it, but for 15 points more a dakka pred w/ AC/HB is extremely effective - and can hunt side armor or have a reasonable chance of dropping a standard 10 man unit down unit to be less effetive against our MSU's etc..

However, thinking about it, at 85 points I think it could find a small role in a DoA army. Its cheap ish (15 more than a flamer/mm speeder) which really would be what vehicle it'd compete with in a DoA army, and it can lay down a template against hordes to soften them up. Starting them on the board in turn 1 and getting 2 rounds (having 2) of templates before your reserves begin to come in could create big gaps or drop a target down to a preferable target.

I am remaking my DoA army atm - and really thinking about using them now (also going to try blood hammer style w/ devs).

Archived