This is the Liber Astartes, PART II

Shinzaren

Indeed I did paint a Blazing Son, during the Arena of Death for the Liber in the distant past.  Captain Coenwahl of the Fifth I think it was.  He promptly one hit killed my own champion in the competition in the first round... Ironic but amusing at the same time.  Perhaps a new Arena of Death may be an idea to breath some life back here.  I have been considering revisiting either my old Iron Gauntlet Challenges or maybe restart/redo my Deathwatch Challenge but with another child on the way as well as with the Brotherhood of Angels and ETL coming up maybe there are too many challenges around these days.

I know just how you feel.

Another Arena of Death would be fun. Perhaps turn it into something more like the Feast of Blades undertaken by Imperial Fist successors.

I'd follow with a quick rundown.

Each user with a chapter in development in the Liber can pick one champion from their respective stable of chapters and must produce a model or piece of artwork to represent it.

All aspirants would be standardised with a statline chosen from Codex Space Marines, no extra supplements to keep it not only relatively balanced but also in the theme of a competitive setting, where the choice of weapons and wargear would be of a certain accepted standard offered to the competitors.

Though I do think giving the user the ability to distribute one extra point to whatever area they choose to best represent how their chapters Astartes would fight would be reasonable.

Given that it's the Liber, I'd turn more to writing as the method of choice to weight the combat. (Interesting? Terrible?)

Each entrant would be expected to write short excerpts from their champions perspective, after which they'd assign a selection of actions or tactics, weapons stances, etc for their champion to act out during the fight.

Each written piece and subsequent mechanical breakdown of action is written and chosen blind. These entries would be submitted to the master of the arena (tourney host) and then each pair of fighters would be compared to one another to determine the victor.

Each champion is assigned a hit point value and choose a certain set of actions, a thrust, then a parry to overhead strike and so on. Each action would be assigned a points value, each champion has X points pool to spend on actions.

The only time the codex stat lines come into effect is when identical actions clash together, similar to when swordsmen come face to face across crossed blades, only to have the stronger (or usually the fighter the plot needs to lose/win at that particular moment) push him away. Whichever champion has the higher stat wins that particular clash, whereas if the stats are identical then a dice is rolled to determine the winner and only half the assigned damage of that particular action is assigned.

When one champion reaches 0 HP, the combat ends. The users are then informed which side is victorious and are asked to write a short piece reflecting the fight and the outcome.

I'd like to think it'd practically play out a little like 'Fantasy Football'. There would be X amount of brackets and others in the Liber, competitors and observers both could speculate on the outcome and the winners (though obviously no betting is involved, that would make everything painful).

If two entrants come down to a draw, I think the points would be split evenly, however whichever entrant fought more 'in character' for their chapter would be given a slight advantage.

Ideally I'd like it to play out as a battle of wits and written talent, more than stats, meta gaming and min-maxing. This is the Liber after all.

I am both interested and perplexed in equal measure. laugh.png

EDIT:

Interested in participating, rather than interested in running it.

It's a small difference but a significant one.

If there's not actual combat involved, then how would one objectively determine a winner? wacko.png

I think this is an idea that we could explore and flesh out for sometime post-ETL. Or even save it for next year's Liberalia Martiale...

I suppose there's going to be plenty going on in the coming months without adding a Liber Championship Tournament to the mix.

...In other, totally unrelated news I have new plans for a model to vow for the ETL. tongue.png

Some kind of bronze armoured figure seems likely, right? I mean, there's nothing wrong with those Sons that, you know, Blaze around the galaxy....

I really need to get some models and paint myself. Until then however, I'll just prod everyone else to adopt my chapter instead. laugh.png

Some kind of bronze armoured figure seems likely, right? I mean, there's nothing wrong with those Sons that, you know, Blaze around the galaxy....

I really need to get some models and paint myself. Until then however, I'll just prod everyone else to adopt my chapter instead. laugh.png

That is the most obscure hint I've ever seen, but I think I figured it out. happy.png

...It's metaphors for the endurance, proud lineage and inner fire of the White Hawks, right? biggrin.png

Archived