=][= Winter 2010 Community DIY Challenge =][=

Brother Tyler

Okay, it's now time to discuss how we're going to move forward. The elements conducted so far have collected the basic ingredients that will go into our finished product. There will be some minor alteration allowed, but the focus of this alteration should be on format (grammar, spelling, presentation, etc.) and not on substance. However, it occurs to me that we have an interesting opportunity.

Initially I figured we'd just turn all of this information into an Index Astartes article using the standard format that we all know and love. I also thought about using the format that the Badab War Imperial Armour books gave us (you can see an example here). I also considered doing both, first writing the article in the "standard" Index Astartes format and then using the Badab War Chapter article format.

And then I realized that part of my goal with this project was to challenge everyone.

The standard Index Astartes article isn't really that much of a challenge (in my opinion).

So now I'm leaning towards doing something else. However, in order for anything to work, people have to be willing to put forth the time and effort.

So here's what I'm currently considering. I'd like to extend the project somewhat, creating two other "segments". The first segment will be the development of a Chaos Warband. We would develop that warband in a manner similar to how we developed the loyalists, though there would be some differences (not least because some of the things I attempted to do didn't work well, so I want to see if we can find a better way of doing things). The second segment would be a (mini) campaign in which the two forces faced each other. This segment would include both the background and rules of the campaign as well as further development on the forces that actually participated. So we might take a detachment of the Obsidian Hunters and flesh them out, likewise with our Chaos Space Marine warband (though I really envision the entire warband participating). This might include the development of a special character for each side, special honours and markings, ships involved, etc.

I will create different banners for each of the segments (giving our current crop of contributors room for more stars :blink: ).

What I need to know right now is how many members are interested in participating in these two segments. Expressing interest wouldn't obligate anyone to participate in every element, though I'd hope that everyone would participate in at least 50% of each follow-on segment, with at least 2 members participating in each element of each segment.

If there isn't enough interest, we can simply turn what we have into a finished article.

First, Congrats to Ace yet again. Second, time permitting I'll take part in the next part of the process. I've been finding it hard to work on my projects and work the long hours at work lately. But I will try.

Cheers guys.

In for a penny, in for a pound - sounds fun! (Besides, I have to beat Ace...)

Count me in!

Well, I can't make it too easy for you. :P

I suppose I'm in. :lol:

A traitor warband, you say?

Interesting stuff.

Not sure on the campaign part of things, mostly because I don't actually play 40k so much as I just collect and paint the models - not many of which are game legal. :lol:

If it's a non-gaming campaign, though, then I might be able to contribute. ^_^

EDIT:

Not typos, but an unusual occurence of large, empty space at the top of the post.

Probably under the employ of typos to derail the crusade.

Edited by Ace Debonair

It would be a non-gaming campaign. We'd basically write the backstory and missions, but wouldn't have to actually play the missions (which means we'd probably stick with established missions/rules in order to avoid having playtest for game balance).

I'd like to know that there are a few more parties interested in participating before we commit to this. If anyone is willing to participate, please speak up.

Guest Mordray

My spirit is willing but my flesh is slow and weak...

I've wanted to participate in every level of this project but every time prior commitments come into play.

And to clarify, I don't think that the warband development will have as much writing involved as the Obsidian Hunters. It's difficult to tell how much we'll have with the campaign - definitely nothing on the order of an Imperial Armour campaign, nor, I suspect, on the order of the Storm of Vengeance campaign. The most we might expect to write would be less than is found in the current Space Hulk game.

Cheers guys.

In for a penny, in for a pound - sounds fun! (Besides, I have to beat Ace...)

Count me in!

Well, I can't make it too easy for you. :P

I suppose I'm in. :lol:

A traitor warband, you say?

Interesting stuff.

Not sure on the campaign part of things, mostly because I don't actually play 40k so much as I just collect and paint the models - not many of which are game legal. :lol:

If it's a non-gaming campaign, though, then I might be able to contribute. ^_^

EDIT:

Not typos, but an unusual occurence of large, empty space at the top of the post.

Probably under the employ of typos to derail the crusade.

Right there with ya, Ace - I have yet to play a game (to my lasting shame (also, I'm a poet and I don't even know it, because I can rhyme every time)). I just really love coming up with stories for little plastic men. But bring on Chaos! Maybe those jerks from the Brazen Lords go too too far this time . . .

Okay, we'll move forward then. Cautiously.

So the development of our Chaos warband will be the Spring 2011 Community DIY Challenge, coming very soon.

I'll have to try my best not to turn them into the Rift Lords, or their lackeys. :P

That said, I make no promises. :cuss

Caution is for the weak! Fire all guns! Skulls for the Skull Throne!!

. . . I mean, sounds good - whatever you think is best.

Maybe I should lie down

Lying down for the lying down throne?

Breaks for the break God?

As I missed the Loyalist part, I'll tentatively add my support for this (hoping that my work load and shift schedule works in my favour for once :P )

As much as I like Loyalist Marines, I'm a Renegade at heart :cuss

Amak Tu Slaanesh! etc :cuss

Edited by Aquilanus