IA: The Night Wyrms

KJDavid

The Night Wyrms Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes

Abandoned for their hubris, the Night Wyrms now fight alone amdist the ruins of their once proud realm.

A Partial History

According to the Letters of Saint Epimachus, the Night Wyrms Space Marine Chapter appeared some time during the 36th millennium. Exactly which Founding created the Night Wyrms remains a mystery, since Epimachus mentions them only as a footnote in a single letter of thousands written over the course of his life.

The Night Wyrms are not mentioned again until various sources in the 4th century M39 note the Wyrms fighting during the 11th Black Crusade. The accounts are confused and incomplete, but it seems the Wyrms fielded a minimum of four companies. Exactly how many Astartes bearing Night Wyrms heraldry participated is likely known only to the Wyrms themselves, and, as is well reported, they are unusually reluctant to discuss their history whenever they can be contacted at all.

What can confidently be established about the Night Wyrms is the extent of their conquests in a region of space referred to as the Thornecene Sub-Sector. Official Administratum data-records indicate that throughout the 40th millennium the Night Wyrms engaged in a campaign to bring the area back into the God-Emperor's light. The realm was a part of the Imperium after the Great Crusade, but loyal only in name since before the Age of Apostasy. It is well known that Thornecene lords consorted with mutants, heretics, xenos, or worse.

By the 6th century of the 41st millennium the Night Wyrms seemed poised to gain the sort of fame and respect accorded the great Astartes chapters like the Space Wolves, Crimson Fists and Blood Drinkers. In the five hundred years since the end of the Wyrms' victorious crusade, the Thornecene Sub-Sector had become a model of Imperial civilization. The poet Isli of Macragge traveled through Thornecene in the 5th century and found it impressive enough to compare it favorably to fabled Ultramar.

And yet Thornecene and the Night Wyrms were not without their detractors.

Unlike most chapters, the Night Wyrms refused to abandon control of what they conquered during their crusade. The question may never be answered conclusively, but it seems Chapter Master Bayene intended to create for the Wyrms the same sort of regional kingdom ruled by some chapters across the Imperium. Yet, unlike some commanders, Bayene did not possess the political acumen necessary to gain the support of the various adepta of Imperial government. Relations with the Priesthood of Terra were chilled when not outright contentious, and there were even rumors of impending civil war.

The Disgrace of Bayene

In 807.M41, the Orks invaded Thornecene. As any chapter master would do, Bayene rallied the Night Wyrms for war, and informed neighboring sub-sectors of the situation. Certain that military forces would be dispatched immediately, Bayene deployed the Night Wyrms on Jekal, a critical warp route to the interior. The Orks, by dint of some plan or simply due to a confluence of warp tides, fell against Jekal with the full strength of their insanity fueled Waaagh.

Against all odds, the Night Wyrms stymied the Ork invasion. The marines held their ground stubbornly, fighting for every bloody meter, all the while believing an unstoppable tide of Imperial Guard soldiery and Navy battleships would soon arrive to crush the xenos threat once and for all. Yet, weeks came and went, more Orks vomited from the warp, and the only allies fighting beside the Wyrms were poorly equipped Jekal militia.

Eventually, amidst unfavorable omens, serf-astropaths received a reply to Bayene's increasingly urgent calls for aid. No help was coming. Governors spoke of unrest among their populaces, admirals whispered of raiders in the dark between the stars, and even Inquisitors told tales of greater perils elsewhere. It seems clear from examination of accounts on both sides that Bayene had made too many enemies among the Peers of the Imperium, and too many were content to let his chapter bleed itself into, if not extinction, at least terrible weakness.

Despite whatever animosity there might have been between the Night Wyrms and their allies, it is likely that aid would have eventually been dispatched had Bayene not done what he did next. In a fury, Bayene sent new messages to his allies – angrily worded and terse. So enraging were Bayene's letters that no aid, not even grudgingly, would be sent to Thornecene from neighboring sub-sectors, and even the High Lords of Terra themselves would briefly discuss the matter. It is possible they might have ordered Bayene censured had he, by the time the matter reached Terra, not already been dead.

Of the Astartes captains who have reviewed the Battle of Jekal, all agree that, with no support incoming, the rational course of action would have been to withdraw and fight delaying actions across the sub-sector until substantial reinforcement could arrive. Bayene did not do this. Despite the counsel of his captains, Bayene led the entire chapter in a frontal assault against the Ork Warlord's vanguard. How long this suicidal charge lasted, how many Wyrms died, and when exactly, or how, Bayene fell is a matter of speculation. What is certain is that Chapter Master Bayene died in the assault, at least hundreds of Night Wyrms were slain, and Alric Zhugo, 4th Company captain, assumed command of the chapter.

Zhugo immediately ordered the Night Wyrms to withdraw. We will never know all the acts of bravery the Night Wyrms' fleet committed in fighting through the Ork blockade to rescue their beleaguered brothers, but we do know the retreat was accomplished amidst great peril, and hundreds of thousands of civilians were also evacuated before the Orks overran the last starport.

After Jekal, the Night Wyrms were badly understrength. Zhugo was quickly confirmed as Chapter Master, but more worlds were falling virtually uncontested to the Orks. Despairing that Bayene ruined any chance of victory, and certain his chapter would be slaughtered to a man, Zhugo, nevertheless ordered the Night Wyrms back into the field to protect those worlds as yet unmaligned by invaders.

In 815.M41 when the Red Talons and the Fire Hawks Space Marine Chapters learned of the Night Wyrms plight, and arrived alongside a sizable Rogue Trader fleet to support the Night Wyrms. The reinforcements were not enough to save Thornecene from destruction as it was all but overrun, but were sufficient to save the Wyrms, still stubbornly fighting rearguard actions against Ork hordes.

The Night Wyrms in the End Times

The Adeptus Terra no longer lists the Thornecene Sub-Sector as a part of the Imperium. Yet, despite constant rumor to the contrary, the Adeptus does not list the Night Wyrms among chapters declared extinct, and the Wyrms homeworld, Morjiang, is still listed as a loyal even though contact in the last two centuries is best described as sporadic.

Having endured a catastrophe that claimed so many of their brothers it remains to be seen if the Night Wyrms will survive long into the 42nd millennium. The Waaagh was shattered, but Ork hordes still roam Bayene's Wilds, as the sub-sector is now known, and in the vacuum of Imperium moral authority those human worlds who survived the conflict have returned to the debauched ways of their ancestors.

Still, it may not yet be the end of the Night Wyrms. Before he left Morjiang, Captain Deko Valartes of the Red Talons spoke at length with Chapter Master Zhugo. In his campaign journal, Deko records that he attempted to persuade Zhugo to withdraw from Morjiang and rebuild the Night Wyrms in the relative safety of a nearby sub-sector. Zhugo, Deko writes, refused, and stated, “The people we protected have paid enough for our arrogance. I shall not abandon them now.” According to Deko, Zhugo and the rest of the Night Wyrms swore a solemn vow to reclaim the worlds lost to the Imperium, just as their ancestors had done centuries before.

The last contact with the Night Wyrms Chapter came in 999.M41 when the High Lords themselves, requested the Night Wyrms dispatch warriors to face the Despoiler's Thirteenth Black Crusade. At least a company fought on Cadia that same year, but returned quickly to Morjiang for reasons unknown before the end of the millenium. As of this writing in 007.M42, no further contact has been received, and it may yet be that some final calamity destroyed these valiant Astartes.

Every Your Faithful Servant,

Gascon Trelawney

*facepalm*

Oh, noes. Another Chapter shrouded in mystery, and I thought there will be none of them this week. Yeah, silly me. :)

The unknown founding is mystification. The Admech have a record of all Chapters created during the Imperium long history. Not to mention, your Chapter is paying gene-seed tithe to the cog-boys.

2nd, If the Chapter is *too mysterious*, the Fortress-Monastery is going to swarm with Inquisitorial agents in no time.

Unlike most chapters, the Night Wyrms refused to abandon control of what they conquered during their crusade. The question may never be answered conclusively, but it seems Chapter Master Bayene intended to create for the Wyrms the same sort of regional kingdom ruled by some chapters across the Imperium. Yet, unlike some commanders, Bayene did not possess the political acumen necessary to gain the support of the various adepta of Imperial government. Relations with the Priesthood of Terra were chilled when not outright contentious, and there were even rumors of impending civil war.

- Because this very action is forbidden. Add here the *mysterious* nature of Chapter and we are at home.

Priesthood of Terra?

In 807.M41, the Orks invaded Thornecene. As any chapter master would do, Bayene rallied the Night Wyrms for war, and informed neighboring sub-sectors of the situation. Certain that military forces would be dispatched immediately, Bayene deployed the Night Wyrms on Jekal, a critical warp route to the interior. The Orks, by dint of some plan or simply due to a confluence of warp tides, fell against Jekal with the full strength of their insanity fueled Waaagh.

- Q: How did they knew about Orks, before the Jekal?

The marines held their ground stubbornly, fighting for every bloody meter, all the while believing an unstoppable tide of Imperial Guard soldiery and Navy battleships would soon arrive to crush the xenos threat once and for all.

Lol.

What is certain is that Chapter Master Bayene died in the assault, at least hundreds of Night Wyrms were slain, and Alric Zhugo, 4th Company captain, assumed command of the chapter.

Why not the 1st captain?

++++++++

I have to ask: What is the aim of this document?

Because it's not Index Astartes for sure. If you want to know about writing of IA, look here.

Edit: WO-HOOO, POST NUMBER 666!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Because it's not Index Astartes for sure. If you want to know about writing of IA, look here.

I thought it was decided that just about anything could be called an IA now?

Indeed, all that was decided was that the FWIAs would not be getting an officially sanctioned community name.

Arguably, it would still be possible to throw name ideas around, we just couldn't actually try and narrow them down to a particular one.

Indeed, all that was decided was that the FWIAs would not be getting an officially sanctioned community name.

Arguably, it would still be possible to throw name ideas around, we just couldn't actually try and narrow them down to a particular one.

Let's not start that off again. :P

Interesting story, although it's a bit short. Any plans for expansion?

Oh, noes. Another Chapter shrouded in mystery, and I thought there will be none of them this week. Yeah, silly me.

The unknown founding is mystification. The Admech have a record of all Chapters created during the Imperium long history. Not to mention, your Chapter is paying gene-seed tithe to the cog-boys.

Yeah, the Mechanicus may very well know exactly what founding the Night Wyrms come from. In fact, they probably do. However, I was writing the bit from the point of view of somone in the 42nd millennium, probably a scribe doing something up for an Inquisitor. When was the last time the Mechanicus were described as being "free" with information?

And what does the gene-seed tithe have to do with a 3rd party not knowing when the Night Wyrms were Founded? I never said no one knows - it is only clear that the writer of the report does not know.

- Because this very action is forbidden. Add here the *mysterious* nature of Chapter and we are at home.

Of course it's forbidden. That's why the Imperium let Bayene and his chapter get slaughtered.

Priesthood of Terra?

Another name for the Adeptus Terra is the Priesthood of Terra.

- Q: How did they knew about Orks, before the Jekal?

They didn't. Jekal was a strategic location, Bayene anticipated the Orks would attack there, and they did.

Lol.

Lol? Wow. Thanks. That helped.

Why not the 1st captain?

Because he was dead.

Entertainment. The same reason for any IA.

Look, I know how an IA works. I was just throwing out something a little different for an intro.

Also, I appreciate the feedback, I do, but I could do without the snark. You can critique my work if you like, but please don't simply mock me.

This was an interesting read, no doubt. I support the idea that the Index Astartes format is not the be-all-end-all of the Liber. In fact I'm going to attempt to put together the fluff for a DIY chapter based solely on a myriad of journal entries, short stories, and reports like this one.

In fact, I believe your Night Wyrms would greatly benefit if you kept up with these reports and such. At this point, a reader can't get a good feel for the character and themes of the chapter. We know the history, but we don't know who the Wyrms really are if you catch my meaning.

Yeah, the Mechanicus may very well know exactly what founding the Night Wyrms come from. In fact, they probably do. However, I was writing the bit from the point of view of somone in the 42nd millennium, probably a scribe doing something up for an Inquisitor.

Well, he makes effort to find a mentioning of Chapter in the letter of some saint. I'm not sure, why did he not call the best source for marines informations (Outside the Chapter itself.).

When was the last time the Mechanicus were described as being "free" with information?

Why not?

The Cog-boy's jealousness and secrecy encompass only technology. All other informations are free, especially for agent of Inquisition.

Of course it's forbidden. That's why the Imperium let Bayene and his chapter get slaughtered.

Then, why did Bayene isists on doing such thing? He is Chapter Master, he should know better than making such daring move.

Another name for the Adeptus Terra is the Priesthood of Terra.

I haven't seen the name before, thanks for clarification.

They didn't. Jekal was a strategic location, Bayene anticipated the Orks would attack there, and they did.

Ehm...

How do they know that Orks are going to invade Thornecene?

Lol? Wow. Thanks. That helped.

It's amusing, because normaly the SM are the guys, who came later to save the day.

Because he was dead.

Good, now we know. :)

Entertainment. The same reason for any IA.

Hmm... hmmm... ok.

This was an interesting read, no doubt. I support the idea that the Index Astartes format is not the be-all-end-all of the Liber. In fact I'm going to attempt to put together the fluff for a DIY chapter based solely on a myriad of journal entries, short stories, and reports like this one.

In fact, I believe your Night Wyrms would greatly benefit if you kept up with these reports and such. At this point, a reader can't get a good feel for the character and themes of the chapter. We know the history, but we don't know who the Wyrms really are if you catch my meaning.

I get what you're saying. I've written a more "standard" IA for the Night Wyrms, but have been reworking it and translating it into some "of the period" type writings. I see this as kind of the introduction. It may be a bit too long for what I intend. I plan to focus on the Wyrms during the last 200 years of the 41st Millennia when they've lost all their chapter strived for, are nearly annihilated, and yet are still honorbound (or so they feel) by obligation.

Well, he makes effort to find a mentioning of Chapter in the letter of some saint. I'm not sure, why did he not call the best source for marines informations (Outside the Chapter itself.).

Well, he was referencing a primary source of the period - someone who had a first hand account of the Night Wyrms. Also, my thinking is that given the constant warfare within the Imperium, various secretive organizations, and the degradation of time it likely would be easy for a lesser chapter like the Night Wyrms to be forgotten. After all, the 36th Millennia is 5000 years in the past of the "modern" 41st Millennia. That's equivalent to some of the oldest records that currently exist in RL. And also, we don't know how closely guarded the Mechanicus keep all that a secret. My own take is that the Mechanicus are inherently secretive simply by habit. And I'd say even if they weren't the only permanent record of the Foundings would be on Mars. So, if the writer is elsewhere, perhaps the letters of a 5k year old dead saint are the best he could come up with given the constraints.

Why not?

The Cog-boy's jealousness and secrecy encompass only technology. All other informations are free, especially for agent of Inquisition.

Perhaps. That might be the case. Or they might keep it a secret simply because knowledge is power, and give nothing for free. But, again, you might be right. The Mechanicus might not care at all about that sort of thing. I think it's more interesting if they're jealous, secretive jerks, but that's just me.

Then, why did Bayene isists on doing such thing? He is Chapter Master, he should know better than making such daring move.

Maybe he was jealous that Marneus Calgar got such things. After all, are not the Ultramarines just one chapter amongst many? The Space Wolves and the Black Templars flout the Codex Astartes - the Word of Guilliman himself during his reign. In my mind Bayene was doing what he thought would best protect the sub-sector, but failed to properly appreciate how it would effect other Imperial institutions. After all, Luft Huron shows us that even Chapter Masters can make terrible mistakes.

Ehm...

How do they know that Orks are going to invade Thornecene?

The Orks first hit other planets first. Jekal was a "crossroads" so to speak, and Bayene anticipated the Orks would hit it next. He was right.

It's amusing, because normaly the SM are the guys, who came later to save the day.

Ah, I see. That's true. It would probably happen more than we think - Guard bailing out Marines. And by that I mean a SM Chapter by its very nature is much more mobile and easily deployed than the leviaton that is the Imperial Guard. So, in dire situations Astartes could respond rapidly and with the kind of competence needed to delay an enemy long enough for the Guard to mobilize. I guess it's not a SM story we see a lot of, but I don't think too far out of the realm of possibility.

Mystery is good.

Stating "It's a mystery..." makes me want to go for the Pointy Stick.

We want they mysterious kind of mystery; if you don't want to give a Founding or gene-heritage, then simply don't mention it! That is better than going "no one knows.." because someone always know - this goes for cheating on your wife too :) - even if they don't tell.

That said, the intro is a nice way to start things off - though be careful of referencing such big events as a Black Crusade.

I would doubt the High Lords even knew of the evens of Jekal, let alone discussed them at all; the Night Wyrms are one Chapter amongst many remember, unless heresy was in the offing I doubt any mention would be made at all.

Also, I cant see every organisation in the Imperium refusing to send aid; most organisations accept that there will be issues when dealing with Astartes - even if they would wish it otherwise - it comes from the autonymous nature of the beast. The Navy, Guard, other Chapters and the Inquisition though... Someone would have sent something, even just to guage the threat to the rest of that segment of the Imperium. Maybe rewrite it so that a couple regiments and a small flotilla were sent, nothing that would tip the balance but enough to be seen as an insult - Bayene could then send messages of the ilk of "It would be better if you had sent nothing at all...", thus the llong memories of the Imperium could then have frosty relations with the Chapter later in history.

There are also a few spelling mistakes and some things that need to be capitalized.

Over all, I like the style and alot of the substance of the piece and I disagree that it is not an IA - [highhorse] The only set way to write an IA is that detailed by GW and what is widely accepted by the Liber but that is not to say it is the only way or best way. So kudos for this, it is a promising start! [/highhorse]

Well, he was referencing a primary source of the period - someone who had a first hand account of the Night Wyrms.

Elaborate, please.

Also, my thinking is that given the constant warfare within the Imperium, various secretive organizations, and the degradation of time it likely would be easy for a lesser chapter like the Night Wyrms to be forgotten. After all, the 36th Millennia is 5000 years in the past of the "modern" 41st Millennia. That's equivalent to some of the oldest records that currently exist in RL.

Ok. I give you benefit of records lost, damaged or destroyed. But I don't think it's wise to use the "forgotten" in connection with SM Chapter. Anytime the Chapter wents MIA, it always causes huge uproar.

And also, we don't know how closely guarded the Mechanicus keep all that a secret. My own take is that the Mechanicus are inherently secretive simply by habit. And I'd say even if they weren't the only permanent record of the Foundings would be on Mars. So, if the writer is elsewhere, perhaps the letters of a 5k year old dead saint are the best he could come up with given the constraints.

Well, we(read: I) don't know where the Epimachus lived or traveled. Also the Author is citing Isil of Macragge, 11th Black Crusade and discussion of HLoT. I'm not sure, if these records can be obtained in the sector-level library.

Maybe he was jealous that Marneus Calgar got such things. After all, are not the Ultramarines just one chapter amongst many? The Space Wolves and the Black Templars flout the Codex Astartes - the Word of Guilliman himself during his reign. In my mind Bayene was doing what he thought would best protect the sub-sector, but failed to properly appreciate how it would effect other Imperial institutions. After all, Luft Huron shows us that even Chapter Masters can make terrible mistakes.

Blame the GW for that. The Ultramarines break the rules, which apply to all other Chapters, and they get away unscathed for some strange reason. :)

The Space Marines can defend the planets, without ruling them. Just look at the Imperial Fists or Black Templars.

Stating "It's a mystery..." makes me want to go for the Pointy Stick.

Fair enough.

That said, the intro is a nice way to start things off - though be careful of referencing such big events as a Black Crusade.

Don't worry, I want them to be a part of Imperium history - not the sekrit sauce makers of it no one ever heard of.

I would doubt the High Lords even knew of the evens of Jekal, let alone discussed them at all; the Night Wyrms are one Chapter amongst many remember, unless heresy was in the offing I doubt any mention would be made at all.

Probably right.

Also, I cant see every organisation in the Imperium refusing to send aid; most organisations accept that there will be issues when dealing with Astartes - even if they would wish it otherwise - it comes from the autonymous nature of the beast. The Navy, Guard, other Chapters and the Inquisition though... Someone would have sent something, even just to guage the threat to the rest of that segment of the Imperium. Maybe rewrite it so that a couple regiments and a small flotilla were sent, nothing that would tip the balance but enough to be seen as an insult - Bayene could then send messages of the ilk of "It would be better if you had sent nothing at all...", thus the llong memories of the Imperium could then have frosty relations with the Chapter later in history.

I suppose I should clarify. It wasn't all the Imperium that refused to send aid, but rather the nearest "local" groups whom Bayene had aggravated. Eventually, other Astartes chapters and some Rogue Traders send aid. But, I like your idea of an "insulting" level of reinforcements.

"Hey, Bayene, here's two Girl Scouts and a rock. Die well."

Over all, I like the style and alot of the substance of the piece and I disagree that it is not an IA - [highhorse] The only set way to write an IA is that detailed by GW and what is widely accepted by the Liber but that is not to say it is the only way or best way. So kudos for this, it is a promising start! [/highhorse]

Thanks!

Elaborate, please.

In the study of history a primary source is someone who has first hand knowledge of events. So, for example, Winston Churchill is a primary source regarding events in the highest levels of British government during WW2. Any letters, memoranda, or notes he wrote during the period would be considered primary sources. Saint Epimachus is a primary source about the Night Wyrms from the writer's perspective, since Epimachus mentions some facts about them from firsthand experience in one of his letters.

Well, we(read: I) don't know where the Epimachus lived or traveled. Also the Author is citing Isil of Macragge, 11th Black Crusade and discussion of

HLoT. I'm not sure, if these records can be obtained in the sector-level library.

That could be true.

The Space Marines can defend the planets, without ruling them. Just look at the Imperial Fists or Black Templars.

Right, I agree. I specifically want Bayene to take action the Imperium considers 100% wrong, but think he's doing it for the right reasons. Heck, maybe he is right. That makes it all the more tragic then. I want him to be a tragic figure, a brilliant strategist and leader of men, but who made some wrong choices, and, in the end, tried to condemn his entire chapter to death in a suicidal charge against an Ork Waaagh.

Archived