Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coming Back

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Dark Haven

Dark Haven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
Well, I went to the RTT at FTW yesterday and had a blast. Despite me not playing any 40k in months I managed to get 2 wins and a loss with my Black Templars. My opponents were all good sports and always willing to answer my questions (which were many as I have been playing exclusively fantasy for the last several months). I was embarrassed at how terrible my marines looked (I actually had to blow dust off my tanks before I took them into the store. This has inspired me to join the 40k league starting up and get all my Templars painted. (I also got to work on my Vampires for the Chalice of Night campaign too...uugh!)

So, this is my report on my tournament experience. This RTT was my first 40k tournament since Games Day 2006, so I knew it would be a a whole new ball game. Ideally you want to carefully craft a list with loads of game testing. I instead followed a long and hallowed tradition of signing up at the last minute and making my list the morning of the tournament. Ha! It's what real men do. ;)

Let us begin.

Army: Black Templars
Player John Boehles

HQ:

Marshal = 160
-Lightning Claws, Iron Halo, Terminator Honors, Holy Orb of Antioch, Crusader Seals

Emperor's Champion = 140
-The Black Sword, Bolt Pistol, Crusader Seals, Armor of Faith, Vow: "Accept Any Challenge No Matter the Odds"

6x Initiates = 207
-Lascannon, Flamer, Razorback w/ Twin Linked Lascannons, Smoke Grenades, Search Lights

Crusader Squad = 525
-10x Initiates, 4x Neophytes, 1x Meltagun, 1x Power Fist, Land Raider Crusader w/ Blessed Hull

Crusader Squad = 525
-10x Initiates, 4x Neophytes, 1x Meltagun, 1x Power Fist, Land Raider Crusader w/ Blessed Hull

Vindicator = 155
-Power of the Machine Spirit

Dreadnought = 135
-Twin Linked Lascannon, Heavy Flamer

Game 1: Fighting the Sisters
-Capture objectives, dawn of war
-He had 3x exorcists, 2x rhino battle sister squads, 2x dominion melta spam squads, seraphim and a JP Canoness

Highlights:
-My LRC with the Marshal deployed alone waiting for reserves. I surged forward into his quarter guns blazing.
-The reserves come in and my Vindi and other LRC smash into his rhino wall. His meltas all bounce off my LRC's.
-The Marshal cuts down the canoness and both dominion squads.
-MVP was the Razorback with Lascannon Initiates. They sniped down all of the Immolators and Rhinos.
-His exorcists were mostly useless as my marines were always in combat and they couldn't scratch my LRC's.
-Emperor's champion died in a spectacular firestorm of a 12 missile barrage from the exorcists

Eventually I manage to claim the objectives and his sisters are all killed. Victory.

Game 2: Fighting the Angelic Host
-Capture and Control, Spearhead
-He had Furioso w/ DP, 3x rhinos with Tacts and Assault Marines, 9x Death company led by Reclusiarch, 2x Vindi's, 2x mm/hf speeders

Highlights
-I penetrated all of his tanks on turn 1...but then rolled ones for all of them :)
-The Marshal got spanked by the Death Company after killing 5 of them
-The Vindi pasted a deep striking assault squad
-His shooting and assaults blew away both LRC's and the crusader squads by Turn 3
-The Emperor's Champion fought to the last, personally slaying the remaining Death Company and the Reclusiarch.

Bad dice rolls and the raw speed of the BA led to a terrible defeat. Loss.

Game 3: Fighting the Daemon
-Annihilation, Standard Deployment
-He had Skulltaker on juggernaut, (3) 15x bloodletters, 10x horrors, 5x blood Crushers, 6x fiends, (2) 10x Flesh hounds

Highlights
-His first wave came down in a spectacular fashion as wave after wave of daemons appeared. Not to be deterred, the Templars engaged with extreme prejudice. Hurricane bolters blazing, dozens of the foul daemons were shot to pieces. Still they came on.
-Horros landed and unleashed a furious wave of shots into my Crusader squads but kill few. The return volley of bolt pistols wiped them out.
-The vindi was pure gold as it personally killed 20 of the daemons.
-Dreadnought Brother Gregory engaged SKulltaker and slew him with his mighty lascannon.
-The Hounds unleashed the fury of khorne on the Emperor's Champion and his Initiates and they cut them all down. Covered with blood they moved to assault a building where my lascannon squad lay.
-Desperation push both sides into a colossal melee in the middle of the board as the Marshal led his Crusaders against the remaining blood letters and Crushers. When the fight ended, his mighty form remained unbowed. All about him were strewn the bodies of the slain, but he remained after surviving the fury of 20 blood letters and 5x crushers!
-A few more volleys of hurricane bolter fire cut down the remaining hounds and fiends but not before they managed to rend a LRC to death.
-The last initiate managed to hold on against an entire unit of flesh hounds and prevent my opponent from destroying all of my troops. His induction to the Sword Brethren is now assured.

The daemons were all but wiped out and due to the heroism of my surviving Initiate and Marshal were denied over a thousand of VPs. Victory!

3x good games with 3x cool dudes. I had a great time even though I did not win anything. I can't wait until the next event.

The Emperor Protects,
Dark Haven

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." -Gandalf the Grey

"'Not How Many But Where'. The Spartans used to ask about the enemy, it was not important how many there are, but where the enemy was"  -Plutarch (46-125 bc)

MarshalKervhart

MarshalKervhart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts
Very nicely written report and enjoyed reading it. Glad to know that I'm that the only one partaking in these ancient traditions of "Where's your list?", "Uhh, gimme a second....(scribble scribble scribble)"

Templars once again show their resilience and deadly CC capability against all foes.

On a side note.....Vampire Counts? Eeeewwwwwwww............

Marshal Laeroth

Marshal Laeroth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,587 posts
Welcome back to the Eternal Crusade Brother. I'm glad to hear you did well in your tournament and wish you well in your future games. ^_^

Feel free to take a look at my website, which you can find in my signature, for some specialized Black Templars information and tactics. :P
QUOTE (Acebaur @ Jul 1 2012, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Laeroth, I think you are the Yoda of the BT forum. I demand you start speaking backwards! :P

For additional Black Templars tactics, army lists, and general gaming information including the Black Templars 101 guide, check out my site:
Implausible Nature

Dark Haven

Dark Haven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
Thanks for the replies guys!

I just fought against IG, Blood Angels and the new Dark Eldar. I'll try to post something up in a few days. They were all insane battles!

Regards,
Dark Haven

P.S. Vamps aren't that bad, besides my Brets and Empire get old after a while. Sometimes You got to break out an evil army.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." -Gandalf the Grey

"'Not How Many But Where'. The Spartans used to ask about the enemy, it was not important how many there are, but where the enemy was"  -Plutarch (46-125 bc)

Firepower

Firepower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,610 posts
Wicked stuff. Gotta love those suitably epic moments the Dice Gods grant from time to time.

Though Im curious to see these models of which you feel such shame. Disciplinary Paddlings might be in order... ;) Though they might be withheld if you performed well against the new DE ;) With 2 blessed hulls I can't imagine he liked you very much.

Suffer not the xeno psyker kitten, as to it the souls of man are but balls of yarn and jingly amusements!
Brother Chaplain Kage: "I don't think anything makes Firepower happy."
gallery_38474_6916_27314.jpggallery_38474_6916_19616.jpgBT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.gifgallery_38474_6916_5384.jpggallery_29004_6198_9307.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.pnggallery_38474_6917_1744.pnggallery_38474_6916_16905.png
Templars a la Firepower -- IA: Broken Arrows -- Broken Arrows WIP Blog -- My Crummy Sketches

The Death Jester

The Death Jester

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 135 posts
great to hear! I've gotten abck in 40k again with my warmahcine/hoards armies in full swing I decided to gwt back into the game that got me into wargamming! This time for me it's the eternal crusade I plan on playing mostly for fun and to paint and model, actualy it was deathwatch rpg that sucked me back in I need an army to go with my character ;)
What is your life?
My honour is my life.
What is your fate?
My duty is my fate.
What is your fear?
My fear is to fail.
What is your reward?
My salvation is my reward.
What is your craft?
My craft is death.
What is your pledge?
My pledge is eternal service.

Dark Haven

Dark Haven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
Updates on my last two battles!

Player John Boehles

HQ:

Marshal = 135
-Lightning Claws, Iron Halo, Crusader Seals

Emperor's Champion = 140
-The Black Sword, Bolt Pistol, Crusader Seals, Armor of Faith, Vow: "Accept Any Challenge No Matter the Odds"

6x Initiates = 207
-Lascannon, Flamer, Razorback w/ Twin Linked Lascannons, Smoke Grenades, Search Lights

Crusader Squad = 223
-9x Initiates, 1x Meltagun, 1x Power Fist, Rhino w/ Smoke, Extra Armor

Crusader Squad = 223
-9x Initiates, 1x Meltagun, 1x Power Fist, Rhino w/ Smoke, Extra Armor

Vindicator = 155

Predator = 145
-Turret Twin-Linked Lascannon, 2x Lascannon Sponsons

Dreadnought = 135

Dreadnought = 135

Game 1: Blood Angels, Round 2
-Annihilation, dawn of war
-He had 3x of 10 JP Marines, 3x Priests, Chaplain, Death Company, Honor Guard? (Basically, it was an all JP army with FNP and FC buffs from the priests)
-Terrain: lots of ruined buildings, craters, tank traps and alleyways

Highlights:
-I set up in cover with with my rhinos on each of my flanks with Dread support. My Pred and Vindi held the center with the Lazorback. He DS his army onto the board.
-T2, Blood Angels started falling out of the sky all over the place. Thankfully, his melta weapons did no damage. My return fire of Lascannons and Bolters kills lots.
-My rhino drive circles around the JP marines firing their meltas before disembarking, and charged them after a volley of pistol fire. The Crusaders smash the BA!
-My Vindi scores a direct hit on his Honor guard and wipe them all out with the Chappy as well.
-The EC duels the Death Company and is aided by the Venerable Brothers Dieter and Alban, whose mighty immortal forms crushed the blood crazed marines!
-Marshal Draco separates from his command position with the Lazorback to deal with encroaching JP marines. He slays their priest and cuts down all 10 of the JP marines

He concedes after suffering horrific losses. My set up allowed me to confound his alpha strike and the melta's letting him down seal his fate. It did not help that my Marshal and Dreads went ape:cuss on him too. He had nothing that could really stop a dread in CC if his melta failed him. He did complain that my army was being excessive using that many Lascannons. Apparently I am the only MEQ player in the store to use more than 1 or 2 of them in my army. Only the IG player really uses them.

---------------------

Player John Boehles

HQ:

Marshal = 135

Emperor's Champion = 140

5x Initiates = 191

Crusader Squad = 207
-8x Initiates, 1x flamer, 1x Power Fist, Rhino w/ Smoke, Extra Armor

Crusader Squad = 468
-8x Initiates, 3x Neophytes, 1x flamer, 1x Power Fist, Land Raider Crusader w/ Smoke, Extra Armor

Predator = 145

Vindicator = 155

Venerable Dreadnought = 165
-Twin Linked Lascannon, Heavy Flamer, Tank Hunters

Dreadnought = 135

5x Sword Brethren Tactical Terminators = 255
-2x Assault Cannons, Tank Hunters

Game 2: Imperial Guard
-Annihilation, Standard Deployment
-He had Creed and Kell in a Chimera, 2x Valkyries w/ Melta Vets, 10x Penal Legion, 50x men in 5x squads w/ Plasma, power weapons, Al'harem w/ squad, 2x special weapon squads w/ melta, GySgt. Harker with sniper squad, Punisher w/ Cmdr. Pask, 3x Armageddon pattern Sentinels.
-Terrain: rolling hills surrounding a gentle valley than curve into a steep ravine, several plateaus, a cave in the right hand corner

Highlights:
-His whole army outflanks. Damn. I set up with my Pred and Dread acting as pickets on the crest of the Ravine. The remaining force is clustered around my LRC in the valley below. The Lazorback hides in some foliage on a plateau with a commanding view of the area. As he could come from either side, I figured staying in the middle was best.
- His Punishers, sentinels and sniper squad led by Harker deploy on an opposing plateau. The Punisher immobilizes itself on a rock and remains out of range of anything for the rest of the game.
-He rolls really well with his reserves and everything comes inon my left flank. The Pred engages his sentinels with Lascannons and does nothing. A tide of IG is now on my left flank, outnumbering me 3:1. Hmpf! Good enough odds for any Son of Dorn!!!
-My Dreadnought blasts a Valkyrie out of the sky. My Lazorback blows up a chimera. The LRC and Rhino move to support the stranded Termies.
-IG unload a lot of shots into the LRC and shake it avlot. The Termies lose 2. My Dread uses his HF and kills the Veteran melta spam squad and then dies later to another melta spam squad!
-The Termies shoot down all of the Penal legion and charge into Al'harem and die a glorious death.
-My Venerable dread snipes down another chimera killing a lot of IG in the blast.
-LRC unloads the Marshal and his squad into the heart of the IG horde. After unleashing the fury of its firepower, the LRC would later leave to support the Venerable Dread.
-My Templars charged head on into his horde and combi charged 5 units between the the 2 templar squads. A series of vicious CC phases I tore the heart out of his army. He attempted to regroup and rapid fire me, but my LRC scattered them with a hail of bolter and cannon fire.
-The Last Valkyrie attempted to air lift Creed and his command staff out of danger but my Pred blasted it out of the air.
-The surviving IG trade fire with the Marines, their lasguns and sniper rfiles could crack my power armor, while my bolters failed to fide them in th ecover.

A final push led by the EC cleared the valley and victory was mine. 16 Kps to his 4.

THOUGHTS:
-Being able to launch volleys of precise Lascannon fire shocks many of my opponents
-Flamers in troops squads are a must, they really complement my bolters and pistols
-Dreads are great!
-Termies were a big disappointment

I gotta say, I'm loving my BT! They are a blast to convert and paint as well as be fun to play. Many people smile when they see me pull my army book out.

By Turn 3, they are not smiling.

No Pity. No Remorse. No Fear!

My battle with the Dark Eldar is next.

Edited by Dark Haven, 02 December 2010 - 05:44 PM.

Dark Haven

Dark Haven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
EDIT - Somehow I double posted? :confused:

Edited by Dark Haven, 02 December 2010 - 05:46 PM.

Marshal Laeroth

Marshal Laeroth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,587 posts

He did complain that my army was being excessive using that many Lascannons. Apparently I am the only MEQ player in the store to use more than 1 or 2 of them in my army. Only the IG player really uses them.

You only have 7 in that list. Your opponent should see my list. Then he'd be storming out of the store. lol.

I gotta say, I'm loving my BT! They are a blast to convert and paint as well as be fun to play. Many people smile when they see me pull my army book out.

By Turn 3, they are not smiling.

That's what I've been trying to tell people for a long while. The BT might be underpowered, they might not have the cool new options that the new codices have...but a good general knows how to use the army and win with it. Having a new codex only breeds arrogance and tends to leave our opponents underestimating our power. Personally, I'm happy to show them the error of their ways.

Glad to hear your doing well. :)
Laeroth, I think you are the Yoda of the BT forum. I demand you start speaking backwards! :P

For additional Black Templars tactics, army lists, and general gaming information including the Black Templars 101 guide, check out my site:
Implausible Nature

Imperialist

Imperialist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts

I gotta say, I'm loving my BT! They are a blast to convert and paint as well as be fun to play.

The looks and style of templars is the main reason i started with them. It´s great to assemble and paint them, now i can´t wait to get to play them more :)
Seem you had a lot of fun.

Trignama

Trignama

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,334 posts
Good battle reports man glad to see you are showing that despite our lack of a 5th edition codex the Templars are not to be overlooked

A man who stands for nothing, will fall for anything.

BigDunc

BigDunc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 918 posts

A tide of IG is now on my left flank, outnumbering me 3:1. Hmpf! Good enough odds for any Son of Dorn!!!

Damn straight.

Dark Haven

Dark Haven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
Player John Boehles

HQ:

Marshal = 135

Emperor's Champion = 140

6x Initiates = 207
-Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Razorback w/ Twin Linked Lascannons, Smoke Grenades, Search Lights

Crusader Squad = 223
-9x Initiates, 1x flamer, 1x Power Fist, Rhino w/ Smoke, Extra Armor

Crusader Squad = 478
-8x Initiates, 4x Neophytes, 1x flamer, 1x Power Fist, Land Raider Crusader w/ Smoke, Extra Armor

Predator = 145

Venerable Dreadnought = 165
-Twin Linked Lascannon, Heavy Flamer, Tank Hunters

Game 3: Dark Eldar
-Slave Raid, Dawn of War Deployment (This mission was rolled from the 40k Battle Missions book)
-He had Archon, 2x squads of wyches in raiders, 2x squads of warriors in raiders, 2x ravagers, 10x hellions, 6x jet bikes
-Terrain: A heavily urbanized area complete with ruins in every quadrant and tank traps a plenty.

(BTW, I chose not to take Blessed Hull this game. what can I say? I'm a nice guy and I do not believe in changing my list based on the army I'm fighting)

Highlights:
-He deployed in the center hiding his skimmers behind buildings, I opted to split my forces into two "fortresses". My left flank was a 3 story complex that had my Dread and Pred on the bottom floor and the 6x man squad on the top floor. The right flank was divided between two buildings, one had my rhino squad and an empty razorback whilst the other had my LRC hiding out.
-I knew that he could outmaneuver me, so I opted to hid my army in difficult or dangerous terrain...this was to greatly impact the battle as he expected me to rush right up the board like a ork.
-He grabs the first turn. The ravager opens up on my LRC and does nothing, merely inciting the wrath of the machine spirit! The other ravager blows my pred's turret off and shakes it, the hellions and reavers swoop across the board like a flock of vultures ready to attack. My 6 man squad faced down 3 raiders packed with dark eldar without fear and fired their plasma gun into the nearest raider causing it shatter into pieces spilling the wyches out onto the ground. The Venerable Dread fired its mighty lascannon and the awesome power of its holy lance annihilated the other raider full of wyches.
-The Marines stay in cover and unleash a hail of disciplined bolter fire into the eldar causing massive casualties amongst the wyches and hellions
-The LRC unleashes the full power of its guns on the Ravager and blows away 2 of its guns and immobilizes it.
-The Razorback would hit the mark every time, but the damn flicker field would deny it glory for the whole game.
-My 6 man squad bravely poured bolter and plasma fire into the wyches who were now trapped out in the open between my two "Fortresses". In rage the reavers flew over and dropped caltrops in them killing all but the plasma gunner.
-The lone plasma gunner rapid fired into the reavers killing 2 before being torn apart by a disintegrator.
-My LRC was shaken numerous times by endless dark lance fire, but its armored hull refused to break as it moved its cargo of marines closer to the stranded wyches.
-With my right wiped out except for my Dread, the Dark Eldar redeployed its forced with all speed to crush the other formation. In rage the Dread was left alone and could only watch a stray dark lance finally struck home and annihilated the LRC. Powering up his lascannon, the Ancient One tore another xenos raider apart in a blaze of coherent light. Suffer Not the Unclean to Live!
-My Stranded Marshal lead his marines back into the building. This confounded my foe as he was confused as to why I would not charge his wyches and archon.
-The remaining hellions were melted by the flamer in the rhino squad led by the EC. Who watched as the remaining raider flew towards his squad, its hull brimming with dark eldar warriors!
-The Ven Dread smashed out of the building and sighted in on the last raider, blowing it away with disgust. The shocked eldar warriors were easy prey for the bolt ppistols and flamer of the marines before bing crush in melee by the EC's sword.
-The Archon lead his horde of wyches towards my marshal and his entrenched squad.I needed to break him, but how? My Squad could not match the wyches in CC. So I decided to even the odds. My Remaining marines unexpectedly surged out of the building and with a lucky tank shock from my razorback bunched up his wyches so much that a sinlge flamer killed every single remaining wyche on the table!
-My Marshal and marines finally charged into the shocked archon and his warriors. The Marshal killed 5 warriors and the initiate wielding a power fist shattered the Archon's body into pulp with a mighty blow after its shadow field had been weakened by a myriad of chain sword blows.
-My Dread fired his lascannon across the field and destroyed the immobilized ravager.

VICToRY! Ave IMPERATOR!

THOUGHTS:
-Using cover to restrict his Lines of fire and cause his bikes to take lots of tests was awesome
-Dark Eldar hit hard, but can not take a punch. Mass bolter fire wrecks them.
-My tactic of surging forward, firing a volley and then retreating back into cover to harry his advancing forces work well.
-My opponent greatly underestimated my Ven Dread, whose Lascannon killed 5 tanks and never failed his cover save!
-Waiting for himto overextend his army instead of rushing to meet him proved wise
-I weakened his CC squad so much that when I finally unleashed a charge on him, he was swept away under a tide of chainswords and power fists.

People keep not taking my BT seriously, after this they all perked up. The BA and SW players were getting crushed by the new DE but my BT defeated him with cunning use of cover, precise lascannon fire and perfectly timed counter charge with my Marshal.

The Emperor Protects,
Dark Haven

Marshal Laeroth

Marshal Laeroth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,587 posts

(BTW, I chose not to take Blessed Hull this game. what can I say? I'm a nice guy and I do not believe in changing my list based on the army I'm fighting)

This makes me happy to hear. I am loathe to hear about player who do it. :(

People keep not taking my BT seriously, after this they all perked up. The BA and SW players were getting crushed by the new DE but my BT defeated him with cunning use of cover, precise lascannon fire and perfectly timed counter charge with my Marshal.

I've been saying it for a good long while now. Numerous emails answered where I had to tell people that the sky isn't falling. The DE are my second army, so I know they are very good, but they are only as good as every other 5th Edition codex out there. Meaning: They can be beaten by our BT forces. I'm happy that people continue to underestimate you and you army. They don't play exactly like they have in the past, but the BT are nothing to scoff at. I've been preaching for over a year now that the BT require finesse and cunning to compete, that we need to be smart and use our resources properly to win. Seems like you've learned this lesson well. I congratulate you. :(

Implausible Nature

Dark Haven

Dark Haven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
Thanks for the reply! I love feedback, good or bad.

Next week, (Tuesday I think) I get a rematch against the Dark Eldar guy. It will be harder as I'm sure he will have learned from his mistakes.

BTW, I got a new predator the other day! "Time to build stuff..hehehe!"

BigDunc

BigDunc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 918 posts
G'job Dark Haven, well played. I agree with Marshal Laeroth, Black Templars are best played with a healthy amount of finesse and cunning.