Consecrators

EPK

I've decided to supplement my DA army with a 3rd tactical squad and rather than do another round of the boys in green, I wanted to go with their mysterious successor chapter the Consecrators.

So far I've got the following bits...

• Mark V Heresy Armor torsos (7-8) - I will not be buying Corvus armor from FW, I'm too cheap, as cool as it is.
  • Mark VI Corvus Armor legs, beakie helmets and power packs (these are the older GW packs that look like the new FW ones)
  • Umbra Pattern Boltguns and bolt pistol - old GW ones that look like what FW based theirs off of.
  • Mark V-VI studded shoulder pads (9 just ordered from ebay) - I will give them all these so they at least match in that regard. I'm also going to cut the trim off regular pads for their right side.

Now, my question to you guys is, mixing in newer mk armor and weapons should not be a problem at all, right?

The way I see it is the older marines and vets would have the more ancient "holy" weapons/armor and some of the younger marines would simply be given newer variants. I plan to outfit the majority of the squad with the weapons listed above along with a DA robed sarge but maybe mix in a couple Mk VII torsos (the ones without the anquila) along with newer boltgun variants.

How about beakie helmets? What's the consensus there, should I give the two marines which have newer variant armor/weapons newer non-beakie helmets as well (I actually have enough to do them all beakie if I wanted to)?

Should I go as far to even give them newer mark legs? I wanted to mix in some running legs too but all I have is standing marine legs now and I haven't decided if I want to drop the dough on them off ebay just yet.

I have my own opinions of course, but I wanted to see how everyone else though as well. Any other suggestions are welcome and if anyone has any examples, I'd love to take a look.

I have no problem with later mark armor on Consecrators. To make it more holy you can paint designs and add embellishments that make it feel like a hallowed suit of armor. Beak helmets were Mk 6 so it is not essential as the Mk 5 is the same as the Mk 7-8 helmets. The Black Templar sprue has a Mk 4 helmet that you might try to get a hold of through a bits store. I think that can get you going.

I have no problem with later mark armor on Consecrators. To make it more holy you can paint designs and add embellishments that make it feel like a hallowed suit of armor. Beak helmets were Mk 6 so it is not essential as the Mk 5 is the same as the Mk 7-8 helmets. The Black Templar sprue has a Mk 4 helmet that you might try to get a hold of through a bits store. I think that can get you going.

Thanks, thats a good idea, dress them up a bit.

The Consecrators are specifically noted as wearing the Mk 6 Corvus armor (ie. Beakie helmet) so I will try to put the majority of them in that. But if I could get a hold of the Mk 4 helmet as you noted, that might be a nice relic for the sarge to wear.

From what I can tell Mk 5 Heresy armor helmets were actually studded unlike the 7-8 variations.

Actually, looking at the Mk4 helmets, they seem like the could be converted from beakie helmets fairly easy - anyone have any experience with that?

Ah ha, the missile laucher fella from Black reach box is wearing a Mk4 helmet also

An also, what Mk would this helmet from the DA sprue be considered?

http://bitspudlo.com/en/products/10-dark-a...head-helmet-bit

EDIT: I see that it often goes by the name of "crusade helmet" but would that mean it goes with MkII Crusade Armor? Doesn't seem so similar really at all (except for face plate shape). Would it be considered a "modern" crusade variant of Mk7-8?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I think I'm going to mix in different Mks, but I will have enough to give them all studded pads, so that may be one thing that's consistent. I'm contemplating mixing in a helmet or two from the maxmini set as well if I feel like dishing out the dough on one measly tac squad (those Crusade-Iron armor looking helmets)

I'm trying to get my hands on a Mk 4 helmet now for the sarge and a cool idea came to me on the ride in to work - To give the gear that "ancient relics of the Dark Angels" feel, I think it might work well to paint the old DA legion symbol in red on the Sarge's right shoulder pad and than have a white cloth hanging from it with the Consecrator's icon on it. It should give the idea that the pad is so coveted that they dare not even repaint over the symbol.

One thing I have decided on also is keeping them all helmed. I think this will help add to the mysteriousness of the chapter.

Just thought of another good idea. I'll take that crusade helmet linked above and give it a slight conversion so it's more like a Mk2-3 Crusade-Iron Armor styled helmet but with a DA twist of knightlyness (replace the dorsal protrusion with rivets or something). Maybe something akin to the marine on the far left of this image. Or actually just used the hooded one without any conversion, painting the grill metallic though I did kind of want to paint the red with yellow trim stripe representing the sarge's rank.

Then the Mk4 helmet can go to another member, like the heavy weapons marine, and the rest can get beakies.

Minor update per the above.

Cut away DA icon and top dorsel vent and green stuffed a thinner strip in it's place. Again, my goal was to make it more like the marine on the far left of the Fallen Angels cover image. I plan on adding a few rivets running it's length. I figure the external targeter can be explained as a later enhancement to what could be a old DA-style Mk2-3 helmet.

I also found the older style boltgun to use and will be using the powerfist for him as it is more relic-like with it's embellishment (and I have not robed powerfist sarges yet, hehe).

gallery_49213_4130_39255.jpg

Thanks for the support guys!

Anyway, here is another minor update (which was a major pain). I added the rivets to the strip after much trial and error I finally got them decent and realized I really need a more delicate pair of tweezers.

They were made by rolling out a very thin rope of green stuff and than slicing thin cylindrical pieces off. With the scale I was working in, having spherical studs just didn't seen feasible (at least not with the tools I have on hand).

gallery_49213_4130_67640.jpg

Also, upon seeing this photo, I noticed the crazy mold line I missed running down the bolt pistol.

Next step with this guy is to add one or two items of DA bits. I gave him a shoulder pad with trim as I wanted it to represent an older, perhaps Mk4, version (noted earlier).

Quick Update... The hunter/tracker of the team. When I finally put his backpack on, I think I will also rig a servo skull to it. He'll definitely be receiving a scope on his bolter - not sure exactly where I will stick it yet, maybe with a strap around his shoulder. Speaking of shoulder, as you can see, I cut the trim away from his right side pad as per the Mk5-6 style.

This was also my first attempt at repositioning legs - thought it came out decent. Still have some cleaning up to do.

gallery_49213_4130_128068.jpg

cool i like the idea of a "special character" in a squad. Ive been thinking of making an entire squad as a space marine mercenary squad all with skull masks on ( like army of 2 but there would be 10 XD but they wouldnt be sternguard) I think the bolter would look good with it slung around one of his arms.

cool i like the idea of a "special character" in a squad. Ive been thinking of making an entire squad as a space marine mercenary squad all with skull masks on ( like army of 2 but there would be 10 XD but they wouldnt be sternguard) I think the bolter would look good with it slung around one of his arms.

A merc sqaud of marines sounds fun. Brings to mind this project - http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/238362.page

I was hoping to do a few with some character actually. Other plans are the "demo guy" with missile launcher and maybe a bunch of grenades or a satchel to represent more explosives and the "tank hunter" wielding meltagun along with 1-2 melta bombs.

Next up...

I was able to rig up a bolter with strap for the Hunter -

gallery_49213_4130_309519.jpg

I also completed these three, Tweedle-dumb and tweedle-dee (boltgunners), the one having a minor conversion to have him aiming up a shot, along with Mr. Inconspicuous... I can just picture him saying, "Brothers, can you see me with this bulky shoulder slung missile launcher when I kneel behind this grot sized sorry excuse for a wall?"

gallery_49213_4130_193454.jpg

And finally a group shot, now that I have reached 5 -

gallery_49213_4130_83922.jpg

Marine #6

Repositioned the legs here without actually pinning per se - just using dabs of greenstuff. I can see now why pinning could be easier, guess I had to learn the hard way. I also got the legs all done and realized I had actually made the wrong leg up as I wanted him to be shooting towards his raised leg, but oh well, this still works. Seeing it this large, I think I might need to clean up that greenstuff on the wrist. Also, the rope around the blade was only half to cover up the knee connection, which didn't look all that bad, I swear. I just thought the blade needed a little something more.

gallery_49213_4130_246621.jpg

And wow, look at the difference straightening that leg makes. Trust me, this is no try at trusescale, but he's like a head taller than his little body next to him. I'd say if you don't have the patience for truescale, try simply straightening legs.

gallery_49213_4130_281718.jpg

Annnnd Marine #7, well part of him... my attempt at converting a mk5 torso into mk4 to go with the mk4 helmet I have. It was a simple greenstuff job but I think it does the trick.

gallery_49213_4130_309964.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Two new additions, #7 and #8.

One is the melta-toting "demo" marine with Mk 4 torso and helmet, the other is a newer marine (per his mk 6 leg armor) in a pose I think works well - sort of a close combat, block attack with blade and pump out a few rounds from bolter thing.

gallery_49213_4130_55600.jpg

Here is another look at the meltagunner. I like his calm walking pose. I see as he just popped a few bolt pistol rounds off, takes a couple calm and collected steps and is about to melt the nearest targets face. As the demo guy, he sports a devastator-sized meltabomb. Might give him some pouches and/or grenades as well.

gallery_49213_4130_122174.jpg

Of course, this is the fella I decide to give a bionic arm and the dope I am, I forgot to take a shot of it from the other side. His melta arm is actually a kitbash/green stuff job using a marine hand and upper arm and the hyrdrolic looking bit from the Ravenwing upgrade sprue. When I get home tonight, I'll have to take a shot of it from that side. I actually used metal wire to add a more robotic feel to the hand.

Here is a shot of that homemade bionic arm (forearm/hand). Picture isn't great, but those are actually 4 small metal wires on the hand to suggest the mechanics. It's also hard to see the detail in that targetter bit from the Ravenwing upgrade sprue I used for the forearm, but here it is...

gallery_49213_4130_274373.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Taken me a while to get through these last two marines, and as you can see below, I still have to finish up the one. Both sets of legs were reposed into more of a moving position. I also decided that these last two would have more standard issue helmets (that makes one custom Mk3, one Mk4, six Mk6 and the last two with Mk7. I thought the variety would be nice, though still Mk6 majority, plus I only had 2 DA beakie helmets left and considering I already used one in this squad, I thought i would save them.

I like the left hand marine, reminds of the Legion of the Damned type poses - slow and purposeful. The other will be tossing a grenade, still need to green stuff the shoulder joints as well as the hand holding the grenade itself.

gallery_49213_4130_141188.jpg

And now for something completely different.... Storm sheilds worthy of a 3++ save -

gallery_49213_4130_324734.jpg

Made from a plastic "beware of dog" sign. I plan on decorating with icons and such from the upgrade sprues. Though you can't see it, I actually sliced off the hand bit from another (space wolf) storm shield to glue to the back of this. It struck me on the way to work this morning that rather than cut out a handful more, I'll just cut one more out and make a press mold of it.

Hopefully the Consecrators squad can keep my attention though before I move on to these guys. I do love me some Terminators.

Really nice looking Terminator mod there... Out of curiosity, what color scheme are you planning for the Deathwing? In painting my own up, I wound up using black with red trim, only major difference being red helmets with a black stripe... I hadn't seen any "official" pictures of Consecrator Terminators or anything, but looking over the ancient boxes I have in the basement there are some old DA Terminators done in the original black w/ yellow...

Archived