Consecrators

EPK

Looks good, keep it up!

:P

Now seriously, I like the red stripe a lot, you've got it just right.

The highlights seem a bit...dark? You don't see the that much, but that might be because of the phone cam.

And I don't quite like the rim of the bases, the brown looks too flat... maybe a simple glazing with a lighter colour?

Thanks! Some good points. I've never even thought about the rim of bases in that way (all of my models are simply flat Khermi Brown).

Yes, I suppose the highlights may be due to poor camera/lightning. The light is all from the top (also just the light in the room not a light focused on the model) , maybe I need something that can better illuminate from the bottom as well.

I'm happy with the Fenris Blue > Codex Grey highlights at least in person. I'm definitely worried about over doing them as I have read that is the biggest pitfall with highlighting black, so I could also be holding back I guess.

Fenris Blue > Codex Grey <--- this means you go black, then codex then fenris?

It could perfectly be that in person they look smooth and more than enough B)

And the rim... since everything is so dark, any lighter surface draws a lot of focus.

Beleive it or not it is actually called Fenris Grey, that said, it is a very blue-grey.

And I go Chaos Black > Fenris Grey > Codex Grey

I found that Fenris Grey seemed darker, hence why it is in the middle. GW tutorial for has Black Templar's going from Black > Codex > Fotress. So I suppose they are going on step lighter, but I wanted to try the cool grey that Fenris offers.

I did some digging and came across this thread that shows better how Fenris probably should look (I think he is doing only Fenris with nothing else): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=166477

In better/different (I don't know if that second shot is ideal) lighting you can more clearly see the Fenris. In my photos it does seem to get lost, I can just make out glimpses here and there of it's blueness. I'm going to see if I can photograph better and if all else fails perhaps I will go brighter with the highlights.

Here is another try at that photo, I found a posable lamp to use. I feel the shot is looking better already, but now I'm skeptical of the cool grey making them look too blue... lol

gallery_49213_4130_134504.jpg

Much better pic :ph34r:

Yes, the HL are sharp enough. If you are not happy with them, as suggested go for Badab black and it will tone them down.

And the yellow eyes draw a lot of focus :)

Thanks guys!

I would agree, the lenses are nice accent. I actually had painted them red first (like all my other DAs) than when I painted the first stripe, I realized it just didn't look right. So than I finally check the codex and noticed they are yellow so I had to paint over (which got the paint on a little thick, but it did the trick).

They look great and i agree the lenses really add some punch.

The bluer grey gives it that glossy raven feel and has more depth. I just did a black shadowsword with shadow grey -> codex grey highlights which gave it a similar effect (a little less blue tho) i was worried it was too close in tone to codex grey but i think the colour change made it work...its an option if you find you want to tone down the blue a bit but i wouldnt change them they look great.

Thanks Sandalphon. I appreciate the support.

The shadow grey was something I saw come up when I did my initial searching about painting black with blue tones, but I didn't actually have it, lol. What I did have that was close was the Fenris, so I just dove in with that. At first I tried mixing with black but realized it wasn't needed. The few RW I actually have painted are done with the standard grey tones, so I figure, despite them probably wearing the same shade of armor per fluff, that at least they will stand apart paint wise on the board.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I have no update as of yet, compared to most of you, I am ridiculously slow (more so on just finding time) so I apologize. I've turned my attention to getting some Deathwing together just so I can field them.

Anywho, I was thinking more on the Consecrator's theme. I originally thought a sort of spreading the Lion's word (Word Bearers style) was fitting however I see the Guardians of the Covenant already fill that role. Than it came to me, they are bearers of the most ancient relics of the Legion and relics do not maintain or fix themselves. It seems fitting that Techmarines could play a more prominent role in the Consecrator Chapter, tending to ancient weapons and equipment that other less tech savvy marines simply could not handle. A subtle Mechanicus theme seems in order - nothing on the level of the Iron Hands of course.

But where there is ancient relics of Legion, there could also be clues pointing towards the Legion's darkest secrets. Surely we could not have the Mechanicus influence to rooted, sniffing around our revered weapons. This is where the idea takes a leap, and it really isn't needed, but what if the Techmarines did not spend time training on Mars but rather their complete training was done internally. Surely over 10K years a chapter could have possibly gained and retained the ability to teach their own. Perhaps they even have a group of Mechanicus tutors that are completely loyal to them. The actually Mechanicus would of course be utterly against such a move, in both regards, but that seems a good enough reason to explain the secrecy that surrounds the Consecrators.

This knowledge is much more about maintenance and safe keeping rather than building. They are a chapter of curators in a sense so each marine would have some advanced understanding beyond what his peers in other chapters may be taught. A prominent Master of the Forge would make sense - perhaps the Master of the Forge IS the Chapter Master in this case. Perhaps he is even nick named The Curator or bear the title, Curator General. A Keeper of Relics might work.

And if a time comes when the Lion awakens and reunites the Legion, what a great resource a chapter of technologically adept marines will make.

Just some thoughts. Maybe it makes sense, maybe it could even be worth considering as a theme for the codex writing we are doing in the rules section - perhaps a named Consecrators HQ - Some form of a Master of the Forge?

For me, these ideas will not effect this tactical squad (they are already built), but it may sway some of my painting at least - I can see a Consecrator Tech Marine in my future.

Okay, this time I actually do have a paint update.

Next 3 plus a shot of all 6 (which my phone resizes when I send for whatever reason)...

gallery_49213_4130_145936.jpg

gallery_49213_4130_7849.jpg

I think I agree with Tan's earlier comment about the bases being flat - I might give them all a splash of delvin mud.

You post pics and you get comments :P (I'm not that much into fluff, sorry).

They are looking AWESOME, I love love love the red stripe down the nose. And the highlights turn out quite sweet IMO.

The bases... its a pain (IMO) and something most people neglect... and it draws a lot of attention. Its like people's shoes... if you want to know what kind of person you're talking to, check his shoes and that'll give you some clues about his personality :P

Elementary Dear EPK.

Thanks much!

You post pics and you get comments ;) (I'm not that much into fluff, sorry).

Haha, well that's just more of me getting my thoughts down and if in the end someone does find it interesting, so be it.

I have to agree with ][siah - the blue highlights look great. Thats how i did my RW and it make the black look colder and more intimidating to me. Love the work you've done with all the added detailing and custom heavies. Very fun thread to study. :)

Thanks all. The Fenris Grey highlight is really growing on me. If I ever get around to doing more Ravenwing I may use the same technique.

Next up will be the Tracker (pointer with auspex), Melta loving demo marine, and Mr. Inconspicuous - seriously guys , I always get cover saves!!! I'll save the sergeant for last to paint up by himself.

• 1 month later...

Last 3 regular marines more or less finished (sans backpacks at the moment). Might go back to detailing the wall some more but for now I'm on to painting the final model, the Sarge.

gallery_49213_4130_238422.jpg

Has anyone else here ever actually taken 6+ months to paint 10 models?? Hopefully I make the time to finish the Sarge soon.

Has anyone else here ever actually taken 6+ months to paint 10 models?? Hopefully I make the time to finish the Sarge soon.

Not quite that long, but my terminators either get painted right of the bat or sit around for a couple of months before being painted--And that's without including how long it takes me to get around to building them.

I really like the models, particularly the ML guy crouching behind his wall.

--BoR

• 2 months later...

Well here is a long over due update. After seeing the pics, I did notice I need to do some more cleaning up (as well as fill in some other details), but here is the Sarge more or less complete. I do plan on filling in the right shoulder eventually - something like the meltagunner, want to look up some references - maybe I'll just do the same motif to help them match. I'm also debating what to put on the shoulder cloth.

I also tried out adding a verdigris effect for the first time, I think it work ok. Probably a little too loud on the backback icon, but it looks good on the sensor (what little you can see of it from the pics).

gallery_49213_4130_58966.gif

As for chapter symbol for the rest of the sqaud, I'm thinking I might just look into printing my own transfers.

Well here is a long over due update. After seeing the pics, I did notice I need to do some more cleaning up (as well as fill in some other details), but here is the Sarge more or less complete. I do plan on filling in the right shoulder eventually - something like the meltagunner, want to look up some references - maybe I'll just do the same motif to help them match. I'm also debating what to put on the shoulder cloth.

gallery_49213_4130_58966.gif

As for chapter symbol for the rest of the sqaud, I'm thinking I might just look into printing my own transfers.

That's Epic EPK. Nice work mate :P

s

Archived