BA Successor 2nd company WIP

vonny

Really liking how those minis are coming along. Just started posting up my lammies but am glancing between bin and painting table after seeing yours.

What sort of theme, if any, are you planning. I'm still umming and erring over Badab War or after getting munched by Kraken. Though the second is an excuse to stop before I complete an entire company.

• 4 weeks later...

The theme I'm going for is after they're munched upon by the Kraken tendrils. Original plan was the whole 2nd company with a bit of 1st and 3rd company, everything having scooted up a spot to fill as much as possible.

Maybe a whole 1st company because I gather any survivors by then have some pretty nasty battles under their belts and could be called veterans in all rights. Not much termi armour though, because they were lost. (only building a few from my assault on black reach and space hulk set)

Then, if I feel like it, I can start expanding more and more (which will likely take me many, many years) to represent them growing back to strength slowly.

Really like your yellow dreadnought. I've posted right away without looking at the rest of the post where you have probably posted more pics, haha.

• 5 months later...

bit of thread necromancy, but since it's my own progress thread, I don't think it's that wrong.

Since I last posted I didn't manage to paint much more than a second drop pod, and most of the reason for this is because I am absolutely stuck on my scout's camo capes.I wanted to paint some scouts for fun, but they've caused me headaches to no end.

Basically, I wanted to do nice urban camo with blocky shapes. So I did just that and threw a wash over it to actually shade the cloak, and was planning to highlight it back with the original colors, but I lost all the shapes and semblence of edges.

I tried no wash, and highlighting only instead, but it makes the cloak look flat and lacking in depth.

See for yourself:

gallery_57765_5468_285450.jpg

At the moment, I'm not sure how I should proceed... Any advice would be welcome!

I'd go with bigger and more distinct blocks pre-shading. I think if you cut out one of the medium gray colors before you wash and use bigger sections it will stand up better after the wash. I don't think you need five colors for a camo scheme. Most of the impact of camo is in breaking up the edges of a vehicle or soldier, not really in blending color.

• 4 weeks later...

right, all those camo cloaks still didn't turn out the way I wanted them and were frustrating me mightily. So I decided to give them a rest and start on a side project, of which I'll give a sneak peak.

It's my Lamenters version of one of the BA special characters... wanna take a guess at which based on this sneak preview?

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab205/vonny83/Space%20Marines/Work%20in%20Progress/IMG_0354.jpg?t=1317682795

right, all those camo cloaks still didn't turn out the way I wanted them and were frustrating me mightily. So I decided to give them a rest and start on a side project, of which I'll give a sneak peak.

It's my Lamenters version of one of the BA special characters... wanna take a guess at which based on this sneak preview?

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab205/vonny83/Space%20Marines/Work%20in%20Progress/IMG_0354.jpg?t=1317682795

CRYSTAL DRAGON JESUS!!!

...No? Dang, I was almost certain...

Ooooh ;)

That makes an interesting Mephy... I approve :geek:

Are those wings made from hot glue?

CTK

almost, wood glue. not quite hot, but a pain to work with in any case ;) They're there to show the 'wings of blood' psychic power... and look cool in the process. And show everyone that there's this special character dude walking around RIGHT THERE! I just hope they're not too... 'chaosy'

@sanguinius: ... almost!

sure, go on ahead. If we can't inspire one another, what's this forum for?

I'm currently facing the problem of the wings being a bit more delicate than normal plastic, so I expect them to be damaged during gaming sooner or later. This being the case, I'd like to be able to build and attach a new one without having to redo the whole model - which will probably mean detachable wings. Which has me breaking my brain for solutions.

Still, glad you guys like the whole thing :)

CRYSTAL DRAGON JESUS!!!

...No? Dang, I was almost certain...

Cant actually say how hot that is on these here family friendly forums....but..dayaaamn, son.

Wow.

Impressive.

Vonny, that = EPICKZZ. Just a fantastic eye for detail! Great idea, and you pulled it off brilliantly.

I'm sure you have an idea how to paint those wings already, but my suggestion is just to use washes! it'll give it that Gundam Destiny look!

• 1 month later...

And some paint on my counts-as Mephiston. He's still not done, as I still need to paint his upper cloak. I'm planning to do a nice freehand all over it, but I'm not quite decided on the 'background' of the images that are to be portrayed there. And so I've not attached his swordhand yet either, as it'd get in the way quite a bit.

I't likely to be an astartes librarian, with angelic wings of red (to show some nice discrepancy between the 'art' and the grim 'reality' of the 40k world, flanked by 2 angels giving him a gift (likely a sword and a chalice), and if there's room left, some symbols of the maelstrom wardens and the minotaurs...

So, here how he looks so far:

gallery_57765_5468_41227.jpg

gallery_57765_5468_82158.jpg

gallery_57765_5468_50116.jpg

I've tried to keep some links to the actual mephiston model. So his sword actually stayed a sword and not a staff, and the skulls on either side on the front (in this case on the shoulder pads, close to where mephiston's were). I also tried to keep in some of the vampire theme Mephiston hinted at. He with his high backed collar and dracula armour, mine with the pale face with red eyes, and the old 'dracula' haircut, including greying sideburns.

That is a cracking conversion - truly stunning. I really like the way you've made the wings, they're a fitting match for the psychic power.

The paint job complements the conversion well. Nicely done dude!

• 1 month later...

while he isn't part of my LPC, yesterday evening I caught the bug for him, and finished him in one go. Top right corner shows a picture of his finished cloak before I glued the sword into place.

gallery_57765_5468_73673.jpg

What do you guys think?

the wings are actually surprisingly sturdy - the first thing I did the morning after I made the wings, was drop the mini from my desk to the floor. Also, a hive city planetary empires tile has hung from one of the wings :) , and no damage yet.

But, yes, fragility in transport and gaming was my main worry too - which is why I took a while and figured out how to ctually make the wings detachable. This way I can easily remove them for transport, and should one break, I can just make a new wing instead of a whole new mini.

Archived