Space Marines? .. Iron Hands!

Brother Argos

Previously I failed a Dark Angels project...I bought a full battle company + support vehicles and such stuff and tried to paint all. It was just too much! 106 models + tanks, I struggled to commit, I don't think I finished a single model, always finding something to finish off or something new to start.

That must have been painful! ... not a single model?

Nope, not a single model. Not one out of 106 models was finished :cuss I guess I just ran out of steam and the thought of painting black after black just lost all appeal and I ended up selling them.

However, as with most things to do with this hobby, my enthusiasm and love was not lost and I recently started a much smaller Dark Angels project - pre heresy squads, and a couple of vehicles. I'm going to take my time and work through one set at a time until finished.

Your project has helped to rekindle that enthusiasm. So once again thanks :cuss

ps. The squad photo is looking amazing! The lenses and eyes are particularly effective and really help draw your eye over the model.

Do you highlight your black with greys or some other colour, or do you allow the weathering and scratching to emphasise this?

It was a good day today, I got the final piece of a jigsaw puzzle I have been working on for the last 15yrs. In that time I have often photographed miniatures, but it has always been a casual thing, I never had the quality of image I desired. I have slowly improved my camera till it did what I wanted, never the best as they cost a lot of money, but I have a reasonable camera for taking pictures of my miniatures. My wife has a better camera than mine in most peoples perceptions, it has 10 megapixels to my 5 megapixels, almost the same optical zoom and a slew of options for taking pictures on the fly and getting a good shot. What mine has that makes it work for me is a power socket so I can power it externally from a wall socket, therefore it never needs charging. It has a good macro option with a x5 optical zoom and finally I got a wireless card for it, so that when I take pictures they magically appear in my Pictures folder sorted by date for me.

So a camera I can leave on all the time, that transmits the pictures to my computer automatically and has a good macro ability is what I have, its a Casio Exilim Pro Ex-P505 for those interested (a bit old now). However one of the important parts about taking decent pictures is the lighting and in that area I lacked significantly for a while till recently I discovered a supplier of cheap photo studio lamps! They are a bit pricey at £30 ($45) each, but come with a very good 135w (light output not electrical drain) set of daylight bulbs. Over the last 3 months I have been buying one a month and the last arrived today, so I got to setup my "Studio"!

Here you can see the setup for yourselves: -

ihphotostudio.jpg

My Camera is mounted on a small Slik Mini tripod, the lamps surround the area and I do not need a light tent as I have diffusors that cover the bulbs (being fluorescent they are not that hot). There is a "Lazy Susan" turntable in the middle with some white plasticard stuck to it. I have marked the centre of the plasticard/turntable so I know where to put figures and it is aligned with my camera on the tripod. Behind the turntable and stuck to the wall is a sheet of plasticard to give a decent white backdrop. Luckily it in a position which is semi permanent, the only thing I would need to use there is the book scanner its sitting on top of, which to be honest is used rarely in these days of black library publishing electronically.

Here is a close up view showing what I see when I am taking a picture, Note I use the grid setting on my camera for alignment on my shots and have a Histogram display showing the light range so I could in the past try and adjust for poor lighting. The diffusors covering the lamps help to distribute the light evenly over the area and reduce bright reflections, my wife thinks they look like small shower caps <sigh>

ihphotostudio2.jpg

The bulbs are an odd umbrella shape which you can see in the two pictures below: -

From the side:

ihphotostudio3.jpg

They throw out a huge amount of light, approximately 405w into a tiny space and have the significant advantage of being a constant colour, unlike before where I had a mix of incandescent bulbs, halogen bulbs and fluorescent. With that degree of diffused light, you can get a decent bright well lit photo without too much photoshop work being done after!

From on top:

ihphotostudio4.jpg

Its taken me a while to get the components I wanted, but I am quite happy with the result.

You will get to see some of the results yourself in my next major post ... which will be a Green stuff / sculpting post ;)

argos, let us know how the puppetswar bits work out. i have been considering ordering them (i live in the states) so i wanted to see how they would look before purchasing.

Thanks for the post about your photobooth. That looks like a very professional set up and interesting to see your use of lights and how you've put together a decent light configuration, plus how you've set the camera up to get your images straight onto your computer. Very nice!

I use an Eye-Fi card to do the WiFi transfer and would recommend them completely to anyone who has a camera that takes SD cards.

You can find more information about them here

Now that I have all the lighting finished I am tempted to save up for a new Camera ;)

Yes it suprised me also ... I had my doubts, but it works well with the rest of the squad now .. while the multimelta guy still feels off!

I might have to redo him!

Multi-melta? Or do you mean the special weapon melta chap? If it's the latter, I do agree, he does look a bit out of place among the white weapons.

And that camera set up looks so complicated* :woot: I'll have to do with mediocre quality for the mo :rolleyes:

Ludovic

*Not to mention expensive.

Ohh indeed it was a Multimelta I meant!

The lighting setup was reasonably priced ... you could recreate your own for: -

Ikea Tercial Lamps : £8.16

Rocwing 135w Bulbs : £9.65

Rocwing 27cm diffuser : 1.89

Total : 19.70

3 x Total = 59.10

Rocwing can be found on

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rocwing

I can recommend their service and delivery!

I thought that some of my Salamanders were neatly detailed to tie in with the overall theme.

After reading this thread, I am equally ashamed at my own skills and ideas, inspired to new heights by the models presented, and absolutely flabbergasted at the work on display.

This is some seriously amazing work, and the detailing of the thought processes behind all your conversions, poses, bases, painting etc. really helps bring everything together and gives a hint at the scale of vision that you must have for the force.

Incredible,

I am trying to paint some Iron Hands myself and have looked up painting tips and guides on Google, but haven't found anything I really like the look of...until now.

Would you mind, if you have a minute, posting the basic colors you use as you go through painting a model.

Undercoat in Black, do you layer on with a metalic? It doesn't look like it since most of the models have a matte finish to the black, which is what I like.

I saw for the Bolters you were undercoating in Black and then Ice Blue to Skull White?

Any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
The Fourth Marine finished and I went and got my lamps from the loft to take some better photos :tu:

Here is a group shot ... the eyes on the very first marine I did still bug me .. compare them to the left most marine and they appear "flat" .... I am going to go back and shade them as I did on the remainder. Apart from that I am very pleased with the way they are looking ... the blue lenses, rusty bases, the FW decals and the weather technique are working well together!

ihsmgroup1.jpg

Great looking Iron Hands :rolleyes:

Where did you find the blue lenses or are they clear lenses with a coat of tamiya blue clear?

Argos: This has been a really great thread! I've been tracking it since page two. I hope we will get to see that greenstuff project you were working on. I'm thinking it is the squad sergeant. Maybe you could update us on your status. I know there were others following your work as well. The B&C is amazing by the way! Thanks!

• 4 months later...

@ Interrogator-Chaplain Adam : Never be ashamed at your skills ... anyone can improve, practice helps a lot. The key point perhaps is to THINK about what one wants to achieve and work towards it.

@ Brother Fenix : I switch to spraying the Bolters separately in white to make it easier in the end. I ran a filter wash of sky blue over it.

@ robot530 : Kind of dead at the moment, I have been absent from the hobby for the last 8 months, I have however had the urge to do some more recently with my Iron hands

Instant topic notification is on for this thread, plus, I was already browsing the board.

Either that or I stalk your online activity with scary proficiency, take your pick, whichever helps you sleep better at night :(

Archived