Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Guryan Crusade Blog

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

TemplarCoyote

TemplarCoyote

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 110 posts
I'm a long time lurker/player and have decided to take more steps into playing the game (been reading a lot of BL stuff lately; mainly ran through Gaunt's Ghosts in a month or so, but reread Helsreach and some of the Templar short stories out there.) My "main" game is Warmachine/Hordes but I have a sizable enough collection of Templars and have some of them painted (got 3rd place at GenCon for "unit" category.) I've been working pretty hard on my LRCrusader and hope to finish him up next week, but I thought I'd share a recent game.... really, it was my first in over a year and I've only really played 40k twenty or so times! Anyway...

Played against a buddy who probably decided to go pretty easy on me. He took pure foot-slogger Grey Knights (three full units of normal power armor with two psycannons, justicar with power weapon, Grand Master with stuff, five Terminator bodyguards with stuff (psycannons and stormbolters) and Brother Captain Stern. My list looked like this:

Marshal (twin Lightning Claws, Artificer Armor, Terminator Honors, Iron Halo)
Emperor's Champion (AACNMTO)

Crusade Squad #1 (10 Initiates, 5 Neophytes)
Power Weapon
Meltagun
EC attached here

Crusade Squad #2 (9 Initiates)
Power Fist
Meltagun
Rhino w/ extra armor and smoke
Marshall attached here

Crusade squad #3 (5 Initiates)
Plasma cannon
plasma gun
razorback w/ twin-linked lascannon and extra armor
(squad's dismounted)

Crusade Squad #4 (5 Initiates)
Lascannon
plasma gun

Sword Brethern Squad (7 SB)
Power Weapon
Power Fist
Terminator Honors
Counter Charge
Rhino w/ extra armor and smoke

Assault Squad #1 (5 Initiates)
Power Fist and Combat Shield
Plasma Pistol
Melta Bombs

We played a guard scenario from BattleMissions that was really straight forward. 2+1d6 objectives (I rolled a 2, so four total) If you don't move, you get a cover save (idea is you are in trenches or something) and you start with everyone on board (minus deepstrikers/teleporters)

He deploys his objectives in terrain (one rubble/building the other forrest) and puts a squad on each. The third squad is in the center on a hill. I put mine behind these obstacles we had and put my fire support squads on them, foot sloggers in the center behind a building, and the Rhino's on each side, with the Razor back on the left. He went first and shot me up. Well, sorta. My Plasma cannon squad lost the three bolter brothers and RZ'd forward two inches. The rest of the shooting I made all of the armor saves and then took my turn. Rhino's raced ahead; in hindsight I should have smoked, but oh well. I shot at him a little and did nothing.

His turn, he teleports in all of his stuff, putting the Grand Master and 5 Terminators about five inches from the Plasma cannon squad. Brother Captain Stern comes in evenly between my objects, facing my Lascannon squad. He dakka dakka's at my tanks and fire support squads but doesn't do any killing (armor saves and bad dice from him) My turn the rhino with the marshal turns and parks next to the terminator cluster and the squad jumps out. The Sword Brotheren Rhino races to right in front of the object in the woods and dudes pile out. EC and foot sloggers turn and make Stern's life interesting, and the other stuff stands still. My Plasma cannon nails the central terminator, putting wounds on everyone save the grand marshal. My assault troops come down and scatter near his rubble objective. The plasma gunner puts two shots into the Grand Master, missing once, but putting a wound on him. The Razorback hits and the Grand Master fails his invulnerable save, insta-deathing. Stern gets shot at with the plasma gunner (who rolls a 1 and fails his save,) the lascannon, who misses, and three bolters (oh, and twelve bolter pistols, two shotguns, and a meltagun) and I manage to inflict one wound. Assault phase, the EC and stern go at each other and he fails a nemesis command check, killing himself instead of my champion. Champion had gotten two wounds through though so eh... and I had the rest of the squad about open up a can.

Final turn, he charges his guys off the hill, kills some guys in the Marshall's squad and does the same for the sword bretheren with the other squad. He assaults and at the end, the Marshall's squad has two CC marines, power fist, and melta gun left (and the Marshall) with four Grey Knights still standing, and only my Power Fist sword bretheren standing in that combat. All my Sword Bretheren but that one guy died, and his whole squad died on that flank.

My opponent conceded after that as my Marshal could probably drop those four guys and my sixteen man squad would be able to cover enough ground to camp on an object to win out.

All in all a fun game; after lurking here, I'll be making some changes to my list to try out (speeders, dropping assault marines (they were my gencon unit!!) probably dropping the Sword Bretheren for a Predator or two and trimming my marshal's points down) I've always kinda struggled against higher armor. The changes wouldn't have helped in this game as he had no armor to speak of! Oh well... back to work (and then painting when I get home!)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by TemplarCoyote, 27 December 2010 - 06:07 PM.

Excuses are the refuge of the weak.
Nobody is innocent; there are merely varying levels of guilt.
Remember, Life is the Emperors Currency; spend it well.
Burn the Heretic! Kill the Mutant! No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

Marshal Reinhard
Guryan Crusade
Star Phantoms Fifth Company

Firepower

Firepower

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,351 posts
Welcome back into the fold, brother. It sounds like an interesting game, especially considering how unorthodox both lists were. Glad to hear you showed him who the real space knights are. ;)

I'd love a peek at these award winning marines of yours. Whip out a camera and start showing off already :)

Suffer not the xeno psyker kitten, as to it the souls of man are but balls of yarn and jingly amusements!
Brother Chaplain Kage: "I don't think anything makes Firepower happy."
gallery_38474_6916_27314.jpggallery_38474_6916_19616.jpgBT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.gifgallery_38474_6916_5384.jpggallery_29004_6198_9307.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.pnggallery_38474_6917_1744.pnggallery_38474_6916_16905.png
Templars a la Firepower -- IA: Broken Arrows -- Broken Arrows WIP Blog -- My Crummy Sketches

TemplarCoyote

TemplarCoyote

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 110 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't have a photo of the Assault Squad sadly. I'll try to fix that in a few days. All of this was painted back in '09. I've dabbled here and there on a Predator, Land Speeder, and another Dreadnought, but I haven't finished anything (been painting a lot of LotR, Hordes, and Battletech) I "do alright" in the painting department and there wasn't a ton of competition in the category. I got my $25 and ribbon and was happy enough. The EC didn't place at all :)

Edited by TemplarCoyote, 31 March 2011 - 11:30 PM.

Marshal Reinhard
Guryan Crusade

Marshal Laeroth

Marshal Laeroth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,618 posts
Welcome back to the Eternal Crusade! If you have any questions, most of us are more than happy to answer them. :P
QUOTE (Acebaur @ Jul 1 2012, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Laeroth, I think you are the Yoda of the BT forum. I demand you start speaking backwards! :P

For additional Black Templars tactics, army lists, and general gaming information including the Black Templars 101 guide, check out my site:
Implausible Nature

TemplarCoyote

TemplarCoyote

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 110 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here a few members of the five I painted last week; I need to finish a few more details, but they are for all intents done! Working on the other five members of the squad now and will hopefully finish them up this week. I'm never really happy with my photos as the colors always a little distorted. Not a lot, but some of the chains are just a little brighter or more defined than the photo. Oh well.

Got in three more games in the last couple weeks: played a 400 point Combat Patrol mission for a buddy to test out for Adeptcon or something (managed to win by wiping out his two squads with my one squad while my land speeders played with his Sentinels and Chimera's) and another against a Blood Angel and Codex player that resulted in a win (my partner had codex land speeders and one of our opponenets deep-striking land raiders never deep struck... oopps!)

Last game was yesterday against a good local player who has several armies. He was using Tau and we had ourselves a bloodbath. At 2000 points there wasn't much left on either side by the end of the game and while I lost, it was very close and I was pretty happy with my Templars.

Marshal Reinhard
Guryan Crusade

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,895 posts
Your painting style has a very different look to it. I really like it, and your Templars remind me of a squad that Tim Lison did in some old White Dwarf magazine.

+++The Host of Anguish+++

gallery_25301_10678_6786.jpg

+++In Memoriam: The Day the Palace Fell+++

+General Thread+ 

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,152 posts
*waves magic stick*

Sorry for the Thread-o-mancy, but I just came across this and thought I would comment, maybe getting it back on track again?

Your painting style has a very different look to it.

I have to agree with that, but I can't put my finger on the "why". But by all means, please continue! Your painting skills are quite something and I really envy your skill at painting black without it looking grey.

Ludovic

gallery_45765_14340_43444.jpg

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

Accept all challenges, no matter the odds.

Suffer not the Heretic to live.

Abhor the Typo.