Codex: Space Marines 101

DarkGuard

That is a fantastic post, an amazing amount of effort and I for one am very grateful!

Many many thanks guys ;)

Much appreciated nurglephill, and if you come across any configurations that aren't mentioned here, but you feel should be, don't hesitate to let us know.

• 1 month later...

Not meaning to necro this thread much, but had a quick question based on it and I felt it easiest to pose it here.

Having just written a Sternguard tactica, I've also decided to provide a link to it at the bottom of the Sternguard entry. It's quite innocuous, so won't get in the way if people are skimming over, but will be visible for those who are studying that entry intently and wish to find out more.

But then I thought that there are many, many other tactics on certain units out there, such as Myst's Tactical Terminator article, GC08's Scout Tactica and Deux Ex Ferrum's TFC strategic guide. I was wondering if all would be fine with me doing the same to those relevant units as I've done with the Sternguard entry, and whether it will be a good idea. It won't put any pressure on your good selves, but will be able to provide readers with viable links to further useful articles that could prove informative and helpful.

So thoughts, do you all think this is a good idea?

Sounds an excellent idea, particularly in this topic as its an insight to marines generally rather than a specific aspect!

Nice to see I'm not being crazy then. I'll wait for the following day and see if some of the article writers respond, I don't want to give links if they'd prefer I didn't.

Of course Grim, you're Psyker 101 would be a good link, especially if I can figure out a way to link it straight to the C:SM Libby post.

So exciting times everyone, I've started the first set of links to other tacticas in this thread. These links will be displayed at the bottom of each entry, just click the white "here" and you'll be taken to the relevant thread, page or post that relates to the unit in question. Units that are linked include but are not limited to Terminators, Sternguard, Scouts and Thunderfire Cannons, and each article isn't necessarily written by myself or Shadowstalker Grim, but rather a large amount of different members of the B+C community lending a hand with their forte as it were.

I hope you find this new feature of the C:SM 101 even more helpful and informative when it comes to finding out more about the unit you want to use :rolleyes:.

DG.

• 11 months later...

++UPDATE 14/06/2012++

Just to mention that I have updated the Fast Attack section with the new Stormtalon entry. Note that I've only gamed with it once, so a lot of this is from observing my friend play it in other games, it's rules and hearing from others here. I decided to include it now despite 6th Ed coming soon in interests of completeness, while also making sure I don't forget it when I update this 101 in light of 6th Ed (if it needs updating). As usual thoughts and comments will be much appreciated, the entry will be found at the bottom of the Fast Attack section and the quick find system has been updated to included it.

Also, a note about 6th Ed and this Tactica. If it needs updated it will be done so, but I will try to wait for a time before making the updates to ensure I fully understand how the changes in 6th Ed would effect basic use of C:SM units.

Hope you enjoy the new entry. ;)

• 3 months later...

++UPDATE 14/10/2012++

The first of the v6 updates that I will be rolling out whenever I have the time to do them. Today the die landed on the Librarian!!

So basically, I've added and amended some parts on his Codex powers and equipment to take into account the new rules, and added a new BGB section to the end of the list. Please have a read and let me know what you think.

• 1 year later...

I've been very busy presently with a myriad of things, which has kept play testing to a minimum and time to update this to a minimum as well, so I may not be the best person to update things. The things I have playtested with I'll happily update, but it may need to wait until next month. However, this was originally a community project, so if anyone else has been able to playtest more extensively and have things they want to add or change then feel free to post them. If we get enough people doing it I could open a new construction thread to prevent this one getting clogged and then work it into here at a later date.

Maybe some pinned posts like in the UM sub-forums or a pinned post with links to other posts would be  good way to do it?

Could you expand on that point a bit more please, I don't fully understand what you're trying to get across.

In the UM sub-forum they have pinned topics about their chapter tactics, their HQ special characters and various units. I was suggesting maybe something like that, or a pinned topic that has links to a series of topics on the various units.

You see, the one good thing that was good about this document is that is compiled everything altogether, in one thread. Having a ton of links to different threads is a lot harder to keep organised etc, and saves the reader from having to jump around a lot of things. One of the things I did start doing with the 101 though is providing links that would lead to more in depth topics where possible. So when this is revised, there could be a small section for each Chapter Tactics and then link to those collation threads in the other forums.

If you need help updating, reviewing and talking about the codex and this thread, let me know.

I think I know the Adeptus Astartes pretty well now...

Help gladly accepted. :)

I didn't do this on my own originally. I had Shadowstalker Grim giving me a big helping hand, plus quite a few other members. The more people collaborating, the beter the document.

The problem with a great big 101 document is you won't find the information you need unless someone updates the top post regularly. A thankless task.

Probably why I haven't touched it in a bit. :P

But seriously, I still think that should it be done, it's a great thing to have and better than several other threads etc. Sometimes, if we're looking at a thread for ideas, people can get turned off them really quickly because of how long they can be.

I can help out as well, just let me know what needs work and il gladly lend a hand

Cheers, at the moment all the units probably need a refresh to cover new load outs (grav weapons, cost changes making things more or less efficient etc), new rules, and how they react in the metagame. New units need profiles, SCs need updating, and Chapter Tactics need doing. I'm going to do the latter two next week, the rest is fair game, just pick something you know well.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived