Dreadnaughts?

BAfox

Hey guys,

First post on here, i've recently put my BA army back into commission. Won a few 2k point tournaments locally with my list, and was flicking through the codex and noticed our Dreadnaught options. Has anyone had any experience/success in particular with the Deathcompany DN fitted out with blood talons, or a Furioso librarian? Or am i simply caught up in the fluff of perpetual attacks, wings on a dreadnaught, or being able to make tanks come flying over to me?

Cheers all :)

Dreadnoughts are awesome, and very few armies could deal with mass Dreadnought horde. It's weaknesses are simply the prevalence of melta in the game.

However something along the lines of 3 Death Company Furioso's (one with Blood Talons), two scouts (for scoring), 15 DC and 3 droppod Furioso's with Frag cannons and blood fists in drop pods sounds like it would make one hell of a mess.

The only thing you have to fear with a Dreadnought army are melta-heavy armies (Vulkan lists come to mind), fast armies (Eldar armies focused on scoring, not fighting) and MC-heavy armies (Tyranids).

Almost everything else you go up against you will have a good shot at wrecking.

first off a libby dread with might of heroes (+D3 A) using hte dreadnought close combat weapons is amazing for bustiing anything up, even those pesky monoliths... its kinda hard to survive up to 6 s 10 2d6 armour penetration shots, next the dc dread with blood talons and heavy flamer is great and one i perticularly like that averaged 21 kils per battle in ard boyz is a furioso dread w fraf cannon, heavy flamer and extra armour can put down 3 flame templates per turn and do amazing damage. but the main thing about dreadnoughts is getting them deployed right, for instance drop poding them in is extremely effective and being deployed via storm raven is amazing but one thing that i would strongly suggest is never have them foot it, cause if you walk it every guns gonna be on it, also one nice thing about the furioso is that it cant be hurt by things like standerd krak grenades "BOW BEFORE MY MIGHT LITTLE MARINES FOR YOU CAN NOT HURT ME" ;)

My problem with Dreadnoughts... (and I have like 10)

Is that they are Vehicles.

They really should be Monstrous Creatures, Somewhere along the lines of...

Base Strength 6, Toughness 6, Wounds 3, Attacks 2, With a 2+/5++ Armour Save, LD 9, Fearless, Relentless, Move Thru Cover, Hoot Two Weapons, 2D6 + Str Armour Penetration

Standard Dread WS 5, BS 5

Furioso Dread WS 6, BS 4, Attacks 4

Iron Clad Dread, WS 5, BS 5, Toughness 8

Mortis Dread, WS 4, BS 6, Shoot all weapons, Split Fire

Venerable Dread WS 6, BS 6, Wounds 4

Siege Dread WS 6, BS 5, Strength 9, Attack 3

Chaplain Dread WS 6, BS 6, 4++ Save, Attack 3, Wounds 4

Librarian Dread WS6, BS 6, Ld 10, Attack 3, Wounds 4

I currently tweaking a DC only list with a drop podded DC Dread with Talons and really need to get more pods so I can cram more Dreads in on turn one.

A single Dread with Talons will chew through a whole horde of creatures in a single turn (unless you get unlucky on the rolls!)

I like them and will get some standard Furiosos when I get cracking on my next list - a mass drop pod list.

I really like an assault dreadnaught in a Stormraven. I pop smoke when it disembarks so that if it tears through an enemy unit it has a cover save the following turn. I've never been a big fan of them in drop pods or foot slogging but they can work in the right situations. I think a dreadnaught heavy army could be a lot of fun.

G :)

i sed to run a dread with multi melta. whilst my attack bikes would always wiff their shots, he always seemed to kill what ever tank e looked at. and every time he killed a tank i added a skull to his shoulder. it unnervd my opponent to the point he would put a disproportionate amount of fire on it. immobilising it, shocking and stunning but just could never get that 5 or 6. and other times he ignored it to kill my vindicator so my dread ended up causing more havock up close. i kinda regret not playing it in a few games as the ability to assault would have pulledthe last few guards men off an objective regardless of being able to kill or not. furisos with blood talons should also be awsome, but to build a list around them... i like them but they should be suppporting their brothers, not replacing them.

I don't see why a robot should be treated the same as a carnifex. Could you explain why you feel this way? In before vehicles can be killed in 1 shot.

Because they really are more like a Monstrous Creature than a Vehicle.

Every description and fluff about them, just makes Vehicle rules not do justice to them.

That said it's fundamentally a vehicle. Now, given that it could no doubt take a harder beating than a tank due to the majority of exposed components just being armor and motive related, perhaps if there were a way to represent this. AV that must be beat, destroyed, but 2-3 wounds where it must be destroyed. So each destroyed result loses a wound. That would make dreads very nasty.

That said it's fundamentally a vehicle. Now, given that it could no doubt take a harder beating than a tank due to the majority of exposed components just being armor and motive related, perhaps if there were a way to represent this. AV that must be beat, destroyed, but 2-3 wounds where it must be destroyed. So each destroyed result loses a wound. That would make dreads very nasty.

But Vehicles do not sleep... They don't tell stories of their Primarch.. they are not asked for their consule...

They are not in essence.. alive and self-aware (DC dreads the exception)

I don't see why a robot should be treated the same as a carnifex.

If anything the comparison is not so much as a Carnifex... as a Wraithlord.

Eldar Wraithlord: Towering over its foes, the Wraith lord is controlled by the essence of one of the craftworld's mightiest warriors

Dreadnought : A chapter's Dreadnoughts are treasured relics, only awoken in great need. Encased inside every Dreadnought, lies a mighty space marine hero, who has suffered grievous wounds in battle, saved only by his interment. Venerable Dreadnoughts bring their wisdom to the Chapter in times of peace, and immense battlefield experience in times of war.

ah so a DE squad would just disembark from their raiders then poison tap dreads and they would die from it , while a less "armored' rhino would be immune to DE guns . I find it lol.

dreads are just like they should be . cheap support units[like rifle man] or something that can be poded inside an army and buy an extra turn.

the dread rules are fine, just tweak how you play with them and they will stay around longer.

Ive found that running lightning claws o death for my dread tends to get my dread killed the next turn, as there are no models left in combat....and he gets shot to pieces...blood fists on the other hand i stay around through opponents turn and then on my turn can move and charge about as i please.

Orange's tactic is one I use often, and is friggin awesome.

Archived