Battle Stories

Morgernstein

not sure where to put this, and this is the closest thing to it.

so i have a chip on my shoulder about how i have terrible luck, so i was wondering if i could hear your tales of woe to see if i really am as unlucky as i think i am.

luckest first

old rules where you could consolidate into another combat

chaos lord with a maximum of 17 power weapon attacks thank to his deamon weapon on the charge and about 15 khorne beserkers (5 killed in the first turn of tau firing much jucier targets elsewhere apparently) the opponent did the stupidest thing ever and jumped his hq unit within 12" of me to use one of his rapid fire weapons, i assaulted and killed it then rolled and consolidated into the left most fire warrior squad annihilated them, and so on until i has obliterated their entire army apart from the one unit he had in reserve (5 stealth suits) on my first turn.

unluckest

i was playing hordes of chaos, i had a champion of zteench in a unit of choas warriors as some protection for him when the entire opposing army had fireed everything they had at him and taken him down 2 wounds. but alas they fired again, killing a single choas warrior, which took them down to 25% of their original numbers but the champion of tzeench hadnt been present at the time of the demise of the others. but none the less he had to take a leadership test. and failed it and had to flee to the nearest board edge which was miles away, so i was releived. there was only a waist high hedge in the way of the fleeing, i was going to be fine right. wrong they had to take a difficult terrain test... they all failed... they all died... i was speechless for about 10 minutes after that while my friends were laughting their heads off. that was when i decided to stop collecting hordes of chaos and move on into chaos space marines and normal marines.

There was 2000pts of Guard infantry huddling around a bane blade with two structure points left. I had a space marine tactical squad and my missile dude managed to knock off all the structure points and cause an apocalyptic explosion! :D

My mate was so annoyed....

In the last game I played, 2000 points, my Chaos Space Marines versus my friend's Space Wolves, we were both outfitted for a mech game but somehow the table ended up being set up with a ruined city block with narrow streets dominating the center.

I'm playing my usual "drive a tank into their face and then beat what's left with chain-axes" strategy, fielding all kinds of armor and walkers and, just for the heck of it, a large group of regular Chaos Marines who I tasked with sneaking a fusillade of rapid fired bolter rounds on the enemy while he was pre-occupied with my armor.

My buddy has two Land Raiders out on the table, and they're supporting a group of Space Wolf Terminators and a couple of squads of some other crazy kind of wolf troops of some sort. I'm only worried about his Terminators though, because they always come to the fight more tooled up than the hardware store and hiding behind their ridiculous invulnerable saves.

So we've somehow found ourselves in this awkward city fight, and the first thing that happens is one of my Rhinos gets disabled in the middle of an intersection, making a hard to move around in battlefield even trickier. Our HQ units have circled each other and taken out lesser supporting troops, and the rubble and walls are making anything else difficult. Over on the far side of the table things are a little more open, and I've got my armored element tying up his other Land Raider and his other force of troops, having eventually butchered his scouts when they flanked in from reserve:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/gloriouscombat001.jpg

Now, what I intended to happen was to isolate and hit his Terminator squad with a combined charge from my Berzerkers and Terminators. This did not happen. What happened was in the chaos and confusion I allowed him to face each squad one right after the other. With the Space Wolves ridiculous armoury his Terminators are nearly impossible to kill, so I wanted to exhaust his luck with my Berzerkers and then finish him with my own Terminators and Daemon Prince. His named character Arjac personally killed probably half of everything that I threw at him, and the exchange rate was not nearly good enough. On top of that My Lord, who personally slaughtered an entire squad of his regular troops, hit himself with his own Daemon Weapon three turns in a row once my Terminators finally caught up with his. But that's life with Daemon Weapons.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/montismo/gloriouscombat002.jpg

So Arjac goes around slaughtering everything I throw at him while 99% of my hits are soaked up by his Storm Shields. He drops a Dreadnought behind my lines who stops my walkers from helping out with the main fight, though one incredibly lucky Defiler manages to charge through his laser fire to cut it down, and the other one ate his other Land Raider and the squad that was hiding inside it.

But he's dismantled everything I've thrown at his HQ: Daemon Prince, Chaos Lord, Terminators, Berkzerkers and the wandering regular Chaos Space Marines, everything. I have nothing but vehicles left, though I've lost my Land Raider and almost everything else has been immobilized. Everything except a single Rhino.

This Rhino delivered its payload of Berzerkers then parked at the mouth of the alley to keep his Land Raider from gunning them down. Deeming my Land Raider a bigger threat, and unable to shoot at my 'zerks, he engaged his Land Raider in a dual with mine and got it blown up. After killing all my guys he has his Terminators run up on my Land Raider and Arjac, again with the Arjac, hammers it to death.

What am I going to do? I've got no dudes left, all my fighting armor is across the town with their tracks and legs blown off, and his Terminators are howling at the sky at their apparent victory.

I've still got a Rhino left, just sitting right there, so what the heck, in one last, desperate attempt to kill something I have it charge straight into the Terminators. We are Chaos Marines, and Khorne does not care from where the blood flows, only that it does.

He could have just gotten out of the way. But that's not very Space Wolf like.

Arjac, the bane of my existence and his MVP, tells his battle brothers that he's got this one, and the Death or Glory roll is made.

Guess who, after stomping everything from Daemon Princes to Terminators to Berzerkers and more, is betrayed by the dice and gets flattened by a Rhino on turn six?

That death evened out the kill points, turning the game into a tie. Now I know what color I'm going to paint the Power Armor arm that I modeled stuck in its tracks... Space Wolf Gray! :D

new class of story.

epic awsomeness/the dice god's like you alot

playing against tyranids, with space marines, huge battle in the middle, of the feild with everything being blown to smitherines and in the center of meele there was my legion of the damned squad, down by five men. all of my other space marines are dead as well as his tryanids, he has a carnifex on 2 wounds and about 4-5 tyranid warriors. so i was about to give it quits, but then i thought to myself, legion of the damned never quit, so we kept playing beyond normal game length to see want would happen. my marines one of which had a heavy bolter killed the tyranid warriors. and took 4 wounds from the carnifex's venom cannon or whatever the balst template weapin is leaving just the seargent who has a bolter and powerfist, (becasue it looks cool). the 275pt carnifex climbed up the building and assaulted my last 75 pt legionairre of the damned. missed with his many many attacks. then with my measly 2 powerfist attack i was expecting to die very soon and lose the game, but both hit, both wound. meaning that at the end of the game i had, an imobilised, weapon destroyed rhino 72" away and a single damned legionairre standing in the only building we hadnt blown up in the game, punching a carnifex off a building

and i have another story on this topic

i was playing a 2v2 game with an imperial guard ally vs a chaos and ork enemy, we had aggreed that the long wall building counted as a single building, so my opponents hid all of their troops out of line of sight of my allies 9 battlecannons (who doesnt love leman russ squadrons), most of my army was killed in the first turn buy massive ork and choas shooting, kinda imbarasing, there were only 2 unit left unscathed, my land speeder storm with a seargent with a powerfist/combi melta and a rhino with a tactical squad, they drove away, and my friend told me to use them to blow up the wall. i thought that it was quite unlikely. but i did it anyway. the scout blew up the wall when they shot it with their combi melta. i was happy, but my imperial guard friend hadnt done any shooting that turn, so was beaming from ear to ear, sniggering uncontrollably. fired his weapons in strength order killing a tiny proportion of stuff with his lasgun fire. killing about 45% with his heavy weapons. then let lose with his 9 battlecannons leaving about 5% of the opposing army alive after none of them scattered. this is a story i use all the time as an example of epic imperial guard fire. becasue most of the opponents units went to ground so were getting cover saves.

Since there are 2 types of stories I guess I will do both:

Luckiest Roll Ever

So I was facing a 'nid player with a Trygon (and three Carnifexes as well), and my 7 Initiate, 2 Neophyte crusader squad along with the Emperor's Champion managed to get to grips with the Trygon. Although it took no less than four of its six wounds, the Trygon made short work of most of its enemies, cutting down all 7 Initiates AND the Emperor's Champion in two rounds of combat! But then, enraged by the falling of their brothers, the Neophytes gave the Trygon the fight of its life, rolling their 6 attacks, hitting every single one, and then rolling all sixes to wound! Every die came up as a six, and the poor Trygon then failed 3 of the armour saves. After the game, I erased the names I had painted on the Neophytes bases and painted them on Initiates' bases! It was a promotion. :D

Unluckiest Roll Ever

This is quite embarrassing, so don't laugh at me. My Venerable Dreadnought was taking on a 7-man Imperial Guard unit in close combat (some got assault cannon'd before Dreddy charged) , and after 2 rounds, he had brought down all but two of them. Upon the third round of combat, I got out the two dice that would take out the last survivors of the Guard unit. Chuckling evilly, I rolled a six and a five to hit. Then, laughing out loud, I rolled the two dice again. Without even looking at the result of the dice, I told my opponent that the remaining Guardsmen were dead. But I was brought back to reality when he asked why and pointed at the dice. I looked down, and saw two ones staring right back at me. Snake eyes. And what made the epic failure even worse was that it was Turn 7 on an Annihilation mission, and we had been tied for kill points. If I had killed the two freaking models, I would have won! But what actually happened was that the meltabomb of the Sergeant blew up the Dreadnought, giving him the winning kill point! Doh!

Love of the Dice Gods

I was playing against a Chaos Space Marine player and right from the start, I could tell it was going to be a good game. After giving first turn to him and stealing the initiative, I proceeded to move as far forward as possible with all my units, like I usually do. During the Shooting Phase, I ran all the units who were out of range and most ran a good 5 or 6 inches. The shortest distance a unit ran was 4 inches! On Turn 3, my advancing force smashed into the Chaos battle line, wreaking havoc with both shooting and close combat. At the end of my Turn 3, I still had not lost a single unit and had taken out almost half of his army! In my following turn, my still-intact units mopped up the remains of the heavily depleted Chaos force, slaying any survivors. The game ended with a titanic duel, as my thunder hammer wielding Marshal took on my opponent's Daemon Prince. Rolling 5 attacks, I hit every one with the help of my vow's Preferred Enemy, and then went on to wound four out of those five. Even though the Prince's Invulnerable Save was boosted to 4+ by its Mark of Tzeentch, it pathetically failed all four saves, rolling two ones, a three, and a two. Like that, I won the game with a Wipeout. I had killed every single model my opponent had put on the table!

• 2 weeks later...

Using my guard against a CSM player in one round of combat I killed 2 Daemon Princes and managed to only lose 4 guardsmen in the process. They've also killed a Mawloc in combat as well.

Playing against a mates guard, he decided to walk his squad onto a newly popped Chimera. He lost 3 guys to dangerous terrain, one of which was the sergeant. He'd taken 25% casualties and had to pass a morale check. He rolled an 8 (if only he still had his sergeant) and they proceeded to flee off the terrain losing another 2 guys! I warned him not to do it.

In one fight I had good and the bad luck...

I was playing against nids and my assault termi unit with a greyknights grand master gets hit by the AOE leadership thing the nidz have... I loose 5 termies to bad rolling (even with their 3+ Inv)... Next.... My LRC gets blown to bits... And my unit gets charged by a bazillion gaunts and a Trygon... Things look bad for my deathstar unit...

Not so fast nidz... My GK grand master passes all of his saves from the trygon, not taking a single wound and then instakills the trygon with his force weapon... My remaining two LC termies rip the gaunts a new one and the loose a bunch more due to fealess... My small termy squad then goes on to killing rampage util they are finally killed deep inside the horde... Good times....!

Now... For somereally bad luck...

I was playing my orks when I assaulted an eldar avatar with 6 meganobz and a bigmek... The thing wounded me one more time than I wounded it (thanks to allof the rerollable eldar trickery) and I was faced with a morale test... No big deal... right?

I failed the test, even with the boss pole reroll, and got run down and killed... In his turn, the avatar targets the battle wagon I just gotten out of melta'd it, then assaulted, rolling 3 6's to hit (I had moved 12 inches the previous turn) and blew it to smitherings! lol The same avatar then moved on to butcher a squad holding my objective with the help of some dire avengers and won the game for my opponent! :P

Arcamus

not a single event, but an ongoing joke.

my dakka razorback has had the audacity to survive every single game for the last two and a bit years and yet fail to kill a single enemy model.

i think it needs send back to the fleet for reblessing.....

My dreadnoughts heavy flamer failing to kill a single Eldar pathfinder with a 2+ cover save, but then killing every single one with his assault cannon after they rolled 1s for all their cover saves!

Worst roll was having every single armored target in my army die in the first turn...

Luckiest? My Lamenters Captain getting stuck in combat with Huron, a Chaos Sorceror, and 10 Red Corsair Marines. A powerfist, Force Weapon, and Huron himself attacked me. Sorceror went first with Mark Of Slaanesh, and wounded me with every hit. I passed every 4+ Invulnerable Save, and Huron and I struck at the same time. Huron hit me with all but one attack and wounded all but once. I passed my invuls again, and put two wounds on him, one on the Sorceror, and kill one Chaos Marine. The Marines attack next and fail to hurt me once. Next turn the Sorceror hits with one attack, and wounds. Passed my Invul. I go since Huron decides to use his Powerfist. I put two hits and wounds on the Sorceror and kill him and kill two Chaos Marines. The squad goes and causes me to make five saves. Pass every 3+. Huron goes, hits three times, and wounds every time. Pass every 4+ Invul. Next turn, Huron goes last again, and I attack, killing three Chaos Marines, and wounding Huron, but he passes his Invul. Squad attacks back, causes one wound, and I pass my save. Huron goes, and hits twice, wounding both. Pass again. I go, and Huron decides to go too with his Power Axe. I target the squad fully, and finish them off. Huron manages to hit and wound with every single attack. I pass every invul save yet again. By now people in the store are watching and cheering my Captain on. Next turn, Huron and I go. I hit three times and wound twice. Huron hits four times and wounds three times. I pass every invulnerable save, and Huron fails one, dying. Store cheers for my Captain, who is now named Captain Krezal The Furious of the Lamenters 4th Company. Since his ridiculous victory with only a Powersword and Bolt Pistol, he's since been upgraded to a Storm Shield, Relic Blade(Same original sword, but with wording etched in), as well as Artificer Armor and some extra painting details. Needless to say, he's killed Huron on two other occasions since then, and my opponent has learned to avoid their...meetings.

Unluckiest? My entire Grey Knights army missing with EVERY SINGLE Shot within 12 inches of an approaching Tyranid army at a 3,000 point game. As bad as it all went, I managed ot barely tie the game at the end.

Amazingly I have something to contribute to a topic.

last year in November I was at a local tournament just losin' and having fun talking to the other gamers and comparing modeling/painting techniques. last round of the event I'm up against a guard player his list was a bit of a footslogger deal with some armour in support. Anyway, we;re down to the final 2 turns and it's all down to my Venerable Dreadnought and a ragtag squad of marines moving in on the centre objective, We're one a piece so this is the decider and let me tell you it was bloody. so my opponent has an under strength veteran squad, a leman russ with no battle cannon(but everything else was intact) and a hellhound.

Turn 4 our respective squads move around and get bogged down in the terrain not really doing much to each other than shooting, his Leman russ lines up a shot with the hull mounted lascannon and fails to damage, dreads plasma cannon can;t hurt armour 14 so it gets moved up the front of the russ for the charge. The charge comes and the dice are rolled, 6 hit, 6 pens it and now we're holding our breath as the final roll comes up with a 6 to blow the thing to pieces. I can just imagine the dread stumping up to the tank, grabbing the front of it and lifting it up and blasting the underside with his plasma cannon and discarding the slagged wreck as he continues to advance.

Turn 5 our squads do more ineffective movement through cover and some pot shots, my dreadnought moves up and contests the centre objective. When suddenly out of nowhere comes a hellhound charging up at ramming speed into the front of the dread, enter death or glory and another 3 6's that blows the hound to bits. at this point we rolled to see if the game continued and unfortunately it ends, we tally our scores up and come to a draw, but a very fun draw it was.

And that, gentlemen, is my luckiest moment in Wargaming.

The most unluckiest thing happen to me?

My 10x tactical Terminators dying to 2 Scarab bases in Apocalypse :angry:

Most Awesome thing ever?

My opponenet hits my Tactical Terminator Squad with about 20 plasma shots (all of them wound), and then i make 20 5+ Invulns in a single roll :devil:

i think my luckiest would be killing a monolith with a multi-melta shot from a land speeder storm. Its one of my favourite gaming table stories.

as for bad luck, most of my games see some appaling dice rolls, but nothing really jumps out at me right now

one game, using the older chaos codex vs grey knights, I had a squad of nurglings, they got charged by a depleted grey knight power armoured squad and died, right near my table edge, my next turn they come back on, charge and kill the 4 grey knights that took them out in the first place, taking no wounds back!

or necrons vs the same grey knight army, squad of 4 destroyers shoot at his grand master, out of 12 shots needing 3+ I hit with 3... wound with 3, then he promptly fails all 3 saves!

Luckiest rolling for me was back with my 3rd edition Space Wolves...

My force leader, a wolf guard battle leader (Nostromo for the record) with storm shield/frost blade had his rhino destroyed and pack annihilated early in a game against eldar. With his back to the shell of his transport, he then took on almost the entirety of the eldar host single handed, failing one 3+ save in about 38 rolls. He killed 3 squads of pointy ears and an avatar and won the game by himself. Over four player turns he saved 13 wounds from the avatar alone before cutting it in two with little fuss. My opponent was not impressed, and my battle leader swiftly became my wolf lord!

Since i play a lot of games i can't really tell what was the worst or best roll for me but the are a few rolls that always come the same.

Unluckiest all time Rolls

Every time my LRCs move and fire their weapons the MM misses with either 1 or 2 it simply never hits!!! Since i play templars i always used the low balistic of the Mashine spirit for the MM, i knew it will miss any way.

Luckiest all time Rolls

Every time my LRCs fire their dakka guns hit every shoot (4assault cannon 12bolter) usually cause a lot of wounds as well.

Last couple of games

Unluckiest

My marshal fights against around 15 guardsmen alone. He kills 5 and the commishars power weapon misses him, the rest of the guardsmen make 3 wounds and i roll 3 1s... he had artificer armour ouch!!!

Luckiest

A guy with a plasma gun fires on a vendeta's side armour that is turbo boosting on an objective with 5 troops inside.

I roll to hit, then penetrate, it get explodes, then all the guardsmen are wounded and all of them die.

My luckiest roll in 40K actually happened this last weekend at a tournament and (if this counts) it was actually my opponents roll. We were playing the last round, and it was killpoints. The game was tight on turn 4, I was up 4-3. On my turn I multicharged two sisters squads with a pair of tactical squads. I won the combat, but he was stubborn 10 off his nearby Cannoness with BOSL. The dude rolls boxcars for holding, and I ran down 18 sisters. I swept something like 250 points worth of models in a 1500 point game, and 2 kill points. The dude gave up right there, giving me 3-1 for the day.

Just had a 1500 point game, renegade logan wing vs RebG's blood angels, and my logan count as got charged by his death company dread, I take a wound, and inflict 2 penetrating hits, both of which come up 2 (ignored by a death company dread), next phase I take another wound and inflict 1 penetrating and 2 glancing, taking off an arm and stunning it, having no effect again. then some thunder wolves come to the rescue, inflict 1 penetrating, rolls a 6, then a 6 for the explosion, which of course kills my logan.... :tu: he failed all 3 saves he had to make in that game, woo

I could tell you aboutt hetime my death company killed a Hive tyrant and 2 guards in a single round of fighting, or about my VV that were chased of table by a firewarrior squad (ill never live that one down), but instead ill tell you about my favourite roll of all time AKA "why the Eldar cry".

FAVOURITE ROLL;

Well, this is a no brainer.My special captain Lysander (no not the one dressd as a canary) engages a farseer council thingy in CC, HG dies in first round, captains turn to hit with his PF after taking a wound off with his plasma pistol previously, i declare the imminent death of the xeno scum while my mate laughs and says I have no chance - i shake the dice and roll them across the table, one hits on a strange angle launches up and DECAPITATES THE FARSEER, we found his head after about 30 minutes of my hysterical laughing.

And thats how Lysander was promoted from Sgt to Cpt and immortalised in my sig. ;) :) :)

i played a game vs nids last night and the deathleaper charged my thunderfire cannon.. after the dust settled the deathleaper laid dead at my techmarines feet

that techy is getting promoted!

Keep in mind the honour of Eternal Glory if and when he succumbs in battle.

My chapter has one, and he is revered above most.

• 1 month later...

New to the forum, never played with my Black Legion or Ultramarines. Back in 4th edition I played IG, and here are my best (and worse) moments as I recall. Been a while so I ca only remember a few.

Lucky:

First game of 40k ever, againts world eaters. His termy lord, 5 chosen termies, and 10 beserkers reach my lines. Lord charges a sentinel. Sentinel blows up and kills 2 Terminators, 3 Beserkers and a single Stormtrooper.

Unlucky:

Lord and surviving khorne troops massacred about 50 Guardsmen and 3 tanks.

Lucky:

First game of my 2nd tournament, first shot of the game. Direct hit with my Leman Russ on a rhino filled with Salamanders, all 10 killed.

Special Weapons team with single demo charge kills Farseer, 4 warlocks and 4 warp spiders with single shot (mopped up survivors with flamers).

Infantry Squad (10 men) shoots Bloodthirster and brings it to 2 wounds, gets charged, inflicts one more wound while 6 men die. Next turn 3 more men die, survivor kills blood thirster and survives on his own for rest of game.

Archived