Battle Stories

Morgernstein

A long long time ago, WH4OK version 2, my oppponent had Orks and deployed last. He set up 9 Ork Lootas with a variety of heavy weapons including several lascannons in a ruined building, directly opposite my Dreadnought armed with Assault Cannon. He got the first turn, but my Dreadnought survived the Ork firepower. The Dreadnought then fired his Assault Cannon (back then it had 3 dice it could roll with worse roll being three JAMS, best 3 HITS per dice = 9 hits). He hit 9 times (Buildings affected your BS back then, so BS was reduced by 2.), and killed every single Ork Loota. Opponent not happy! Assault Cannons used to really rock back then.

Last year, facing my son's Tyranid Army for first time with my mainly Infantry Imperial Guard. He was slaughtering my troops, but my counter attacks were dishing out some equal hurt on him. Except his Hive Tyrant, with 2+ Armour Save and Regeneration. Last turn, the Hive Tyrant was finally down to one wound. I had less than 10 guardsmen alive, in small pockets of a couple here and a couple there. My Hellhound fired Inferno cannon and heavy bolter into Hive Tyarant, all bounced off. Further heavy bolters and lasguns bounced off. A single Sgt had bravely advanced and fired his laspistol at the Hive Tyrant, and dropped it. Must have been a good shot through the eye. That Sgt got a medal and a big war trophy - a Hive tyrant skull!

Too many bad luck rolls to repeat here.

Back in 4th ed...

Necrons were :D ing me... and turn 2, his monolith DS. My remaining ML devastator shoots...6,6,6 boom goes the monolith. I lost miserably, but I'm still smiling :)

Besides that.. nothing really epic, here are a few quick ones:

- Belial+DW with apo and banner, lands next to SWs in spearhead deployment... the opponent lets EVERYTHING onto them, Belial and Apo survive, multiassault two of his units and they flee :)

- 1 bike surviving to 30 boyz hitting... (60 or 80 attacks... madness)

- Double meltas going with snake eyes for shooting (this happens almost EVERY game)

Its suprising how we might lose terribly, but if you happen to have one of these lucky rolls in the game, you don't feel so down...

Luckiest moment: my 10 man VV squad gets assaulted by a unit of Khornates, and he dishes out more than 3 wounds for each model. Only 2 of them die. When I roll my attacks (every VV had a lightning claw, assisted by Pedro's +1), the resulting wounds and extra wounds from fearless wipe out the Khornates to a man.

Unluckiest... We did a 4 player FFA game, and the Chaos player quite literally tabled everyone all by himself.

Played 500pts game with my Raven Guard and my Reclusiarch ran into a IG infantry platoon (using combined squads) and killed 4 Guys and suffered no wounds. My oppenent spent the next few turns send Platoon after platoon at him hoping for an easy killpoint and my Reclusiarch refused to die. He spent so long trying to kill him he failed to notice the assault Marine squad and scout squad advancing on his company commanders squad. Before he could issue another order they got mauled by My assaul Marines.

In total my Reclusiarch killed 52 guardsmen and had lost all but 1 of his wounds.

I was playing my imperial fists and my opponent was playing his tyranids. It was a kill point mission. My count as Pedro (Vladamir Pugh) was in close combat with a trygon. Both the tyrgon and pedro had one wound left. The trygon got 6 hits, then six wounds on Pedro. I made all my 4+ saves, I then attack back and wiff all of my attacks. I won the combat next turn when I assaulted with a 5 man tac squad and pedro lived. That was one of those great rolls followed by really bad rolls moments. I won the game by 1 kill point.

Hah, I totally have the best story to add now, that puts my old one to shame!

So, I'm playing my first game with my Space Sharks/Carcharodons, and Tyberos had just slammed through a unit of Tyranid Warriors, winning, and gaining Preferred Enemy against the Nids. Now, it's turn 4, and by some stroke of luck, my opponents 'Old One Eye", managed to get a charge in. Deciding that I wouldn't be able to take the beast down with just the claws, I opted for one Lightning Claw attack, and the rest as the Chainfist, since Tyberos' rules allow that. Attack hits, and wounds, already taking one of the wounds off the beast. Then Old One Eye attacked using his Crushing Claws, managed to get 3 extra attacks, and was at 7! It then proceeds to roll to hit, hitting with every friggin' attack. Thanks to it's Berzerk Rampage rule, it got to make another attack for each that hit(only gets to do this once thankfully, and doesn't stack). Unfortunately for me, it managed to hit again with everything, bringing the total to 14 hits....On my end, I managed to hit with all my Chainfist attacks thanks to my high weapon skill and Preferred Enemy. Now comes the wounds, where I knew I was doomed. Tyberos proceeds to wound with his three attacks, dropping Old One Eye and slaying him. But Old Eye manages to not roll a single friggin' one! I'm now forced to roll 14 5+ Invulnerable saves. The attacks are Strength 10, so if I fail one, I'm done for. So I start rolling them, two at a time.

Pass and pass.

Pass and pass.

Pass and pass.

Pass and pass. My opponents eyebrows are arched high enough to blow through the ceiling.

Pass and pass.

Pass and...leaner.....cant balance the die on it, so rerolled. A six! Pass!

Pass and pass.

My opponent just kind of looks at the dice, all of them laid out now, and just gives me the best "WHAT. THE. :tu:. " face I have ever seen.

Against impossible odds, Tyberos, The Red Wake, managed to rip apart Old One Eye. The rest of the game went on as usual business, but Tyberos has officially earned a permanent place in my army.

Archived