Without further ado... Here are the Harbingers of Woe!
Name: Harbingers of Woe (HoW for short)
Gene-seed: Vulkan via Salamanders
- They are given the name based on a reading of the Emperor's Tarot, needless to say, the Salamander training cadre aren't all to keen on the name.
- They eventually settle on the planet of Karadran halfway between the Galactic Core and the Maelstrom which suffers from constant Dark Eldar raids.
- Due to the Dark Eldar raids, the region around Karadran was high on piety. When the HoW removed the Dark Eldar threat the piety of the region began to slip.
- At the onset of M34 the region begins to attract the attention of the Ecclesiarcy. To avoid the attention of the Frateris Templar, the HoW try to maintain piety of the region though good will.
- The HoW fail, the Fateris Templar intervene and restore faith but with considerable collateral damage.
- After a several centuries (maybe a millenia) the region's faith begins to slip again. HoW try the good will approach again but it fails as last time.
- To avoid the Frateris intervention, the Chapter decides to make themselves an object of fear for the region while doing as little damage as possible.
- With the blessing of the Inquisition, the HoW attack several high profile nobles and publicly execute them is a very gruesome fashion.
- The2nd company eventually gets stranded on rebel planet, the Captain of the company, unable to attack any major target on the planet, tries to rekindle the faith in the Emperor the same way the they keep the peace around their own homeworld, but with fewer stops .
- After 40 years the HoW return backed up by a conventional Imperial force. They find the planet in opened revolt and have no trouble reconquering it.
- The HoW are reunited with their lost brothers, while the main body of the chapter isn't too keen on their brother's actions, the results can't be denied
- Aforementioned Captain ends up as the Chapter Master in spite of his unorthodox methods, because of high success rate
- The marines that were stranded end up veterans (these guys would have some very good survival instincts) but can't get along with their more traditional brothers. (Let's chalk this misunderstandings to an inclination of the former to terrorize people as well as being quite sneaky)
- The former Captain splits the first company in two, the traditional marines remain in the first, while the the unorthodox ones return to the second. The non veteran marines of the second company are split between the two companies to maintain effectiveness.
- With time the influence of the second company grows within the Chapter, particularly during the Age of Apostasy, and with it the length to which chapter is willing to go to achieve victory.
- A very old, tidal locked world orbiting a star that is near the end of its main faze.
- The planet is far from its sun and used to be covered with frozen oceans, but once it became tide locked water levels dropped and it gained a heavy cloud cover
- The planet's core is completely cooled off, making it a mining bonanza.
- Sunny side of the planet has considerable jungle coverage with the population being concentrated in large domed (to shield the population from radiation that makes it though the cloud cover) cities build around huge mines, dark side is a frozen wasteland with a very sparse population concentrated in small town beneath the ice build around small mines (see a pattern?), in the twilight belt there is constant vicious storm that nothing can cross
- Flora and fauna outside the cities is near Death World dangerous, lacking giant predators, but making up with very cunning ones
- Life at the outskirts of the cities is very dangerous and fear is a constant companion for those the leave there.
- HoW recruit from both sides of the planet, those from the dark side tend to end up among the 2nd company veterans
- The Chapter maintains a more skewed versions of the Promethean cult. They maintain the loyalty and self-reliance bit, but the self sacrifice is view as more of a sacrifice of self. In other words they abandon their ideals to keep the rest of the humanity on the straight and narrow.
- After centuries of maintaining faith trough fear, the have come to believe their own propaganda that only though Emperor can there be salvation for the human race and that any human that does not do so, must be made to
- There is an intense competition between the 1st and 2nd companies for the heart of the Chapter
- 1st company maintains the fear should be tool to be used sparingly
- 2nd company maintains that fear is the answer to just about everything and will try to used it every chance they get
- They maintain the the smiting tradition of the Salamanders mostly as a means of keeping at least some touch with their humanity
- When being induced as an initiate, novices must assemble their own armor (with the help of Tech Marines) as the armor is viewed as much part of the marine as his skin.
- As times goes one, marines keep adding and modifying the armor integrating awards and trophies. Armor can become quite impressive for the older members
- When he dies, he is buried with that armor. (Only Terminator Armor is passed to the Next generation)
- Mostly follow the codex with a strong favor for terror tactics (mostly presenting what happens if you cross the Emperor)
- Are very efficient at bringing planets rebel planets back in the Imperium
- They believe that by scaring the enemy into submission they can limit collateral damage and casualties.
- On the strategic level, the HoW are slower then most other chapters as they sap the enemy's will to fight and turn the local population against him (if the population sided with the enemy that is)
- On the tactical level they're as fast and brutal as they can be, preferring to rout the enemy then pursue him rather then wiping him outright
- 2nd company uses terror almost exclusively with a penchant for working behind enemy lines and mobile warfare.
- 1st company rely very little on terror, they're the chapter's sledgehammer
- Mostly Codex.
- They maintain the 6 battle companies and 1 scout company of the Salamanders, but due to high recruitment rates, the battle companies are around 150 each and the scout company has the standard 100 scouts.
- Veterans split between 1st and 2nd company, each these companies 60 veterans and 90 non-veteran members with the 2nd having more assault marines then average while the 1st more devastators.
- 1st company veterans deploy only as terminators,
- 2nd company only in power armor
Tremble before the Emperor's might!
Added an image of one of these fellows
Edited by Telveryon, 26 January 2011 - 10:17 AM.