Nathaniel's Sons Of Gorgon Post Heresy Death Guard

Brother Melice

Ive got to admit, i wasn't expecting much from this thread having looked at the first few pictures, but you have seriously proved me wrong.

Those marines are fantastic! Really original paint scheme, too. More!

Fantastic work mate, the colours are really well done especially on the armour and skin tones. It has an almost powdered finish to the scheme with isn't as harsh on the eye as most highlighting techniques. Great GS work as well on the Rhinos.

Top notch stuff mate and I look forward to seeing more! :yes:

I absolutely love this army so far, I had a similar idea for a flamer conversion myself and it's cool to see how you pulled it off. You freehand work is amazing, I'm impressed with the shoulderpad freehand on the sergeant and the back of the captain's cape design. The army's theme is fantastic, the added pouches work well with the colour scheme, the bases are really original (you know, most people including myself just go for plain desert with some dead grass, whereas these remind me of Rust in Modern Warfare 2, which was actually one of my favourite maps :yes:), and even the old-school marines don't look out of place because of all the pouches to tie them into the rest of the army.

The only thing I have an issue with is that the captain doesn't look in place with the rest of the army to me... it's like, they're all gritty, realistic marines loaded to the brim with pouches and little to no ornamentation, while the captain's got all these ropes, icons, gems and a cape. It just doesn't fit thematically with me, if you understand. Also, since these are post-Heresy Death Guard, maybe you should include a scythe of some sort in the army somewhere :turned:

These look fantastic overall, and I'm definitely tracking this topic now. Well done.

Beautiful work. I was a bit suprised you didn't stick with Greek/Greeklike names from mythology for the vehicles. The names sound like WW2 USAAC bombers or fighter, with some nose art in tow. I like the color scheme and detailing. If you are still going with the Classical greek angle, I know that warriors were big on personalizing their shields, that could leave a lot of room for individualization of shoulder plates and the like. Great stuff, wonderful conversion.... inspirational and original, two things that are a bit scarce of late. Keep up the good work.

I like the background idea. I got a little tingle when I read "Flight of the Eisenstien" wondering what might happen with the loyalist Death Guard, as well as some other possibilities with other loyalists from the chapters that fell with some "difficulty. In "Prospero Burns" there were also hints about the "unknown/missing primarchs" and that some of their legions which were "purged" might have been folded into the Ultramarines. Since the Ultras are primogenators of the majority of marine chapters, that hints that maybe they are not all of Guilliman's stock.

Thanks guys. This is the kind of motivation any gamer needs to get his first army done!

MagicMan, glad that it did not turn out bring as might be expected from a thread that starts off with a stock AoBR models)))))))))))) Glad that found some interest ;)

Doghouse, thank you for the kind words, means a lot to hear that from one who walked the stars with the Primachs.

Dark Link, nothing hard about the flamer conversion, if your grease monkey sibling has a 1990 Miata laying around with spare spark plugs :Dl, I'd love to see more people dunking the "soda can" and getting serious with flamers ;)

The bases are a kind of a stall at the moment... I'm trying to figure out how to introduce variety, there are a bout 40 bases in the army, so i'll have to come up with another twist. Does some Tiberium crystals for all you C&C fans sound good??? :rolleyes:

The captain is out of place, I hear you, but such a beautiful model, I could not sacrifice... when the free hand shoulder pads appear on all the models, I hope it will tie him in more with the army.

Rednekkboss, thank man.

My reasoning behind the greek mythology theme I already wrote some where in the begging of this thread. Adding Greek names in my opinion will ruin the harsh military theme I'm shooting for... but a thought to dwell on, maybe you can suggest some?

But the "nick names" for the armor is some thing that seems to me natural to an army, plus there are a couple of surprises up my sleeve, you'll just have to be patient and wait for the updates on the motorpool.

The idea for each marine painting their own heraldry is exactly from the greek tradition, and thanks to that, we now have Brother Smiley, that kid is a natural killer, but can't draw if his life depended on it :P

I can understand how many could have gotten lazy with all the great new kits from Forge World doing all the work for you, but there are many who succumb to the sweet voices of their inner creative converting demons.

And for you fluff fan of Garro, I'll just say keep an eye out, I still have some tricks up my sleeve and concepts on the drafting board ;)

Will post some updates on second Tac squad and some armor soon.

Cheers

Tiberium crystals sounds like a cool idea, but I sort of imagine the bases to be like an abandoned desert promethium refinery, so maybe some rusted and corroded pipes could be something cool, or maybe have some shell casings lying around and some black drybrushed blast scorches from grenades. There's a lot of different things to be done to those bases. If you sculpted all those yourself, I'd definitely advise buying some casting equipment and casting a set of 10 for us lazy people to buy! :P

Tiberium crystals sounds like a cool idea, but I sort of imagine the bases to be like an abandoned desert promethium refinery, so maybe some rusted and corroded pipes could be something cool, or maybe have some shell casings lying around and some black drybrushed blast scorches from grenades. There's a lot of different things to be done to those bases. If you sculpted all those yourself, I'd definitely advise buying some casting equipment and casting a set of 10 for us lazy people to buy! :D

Promethium refinery sound like a good idea, I'll have to dwell on that for a while, actually I like all the ideas)))

And I'll definitely look into the idea of casting some of these))))))

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I posted any update material, the truth is, I just have not had enough time to move the project along. But a lot has been going on, a potential show set up, so I have a large number of paintings to be completed, framing arrangements need to be made, and just not enough time for all of it. As I have entered the Librarum Painting Challenge, entering almost my entire force into the list, it's safe to assume right now that I shall wear the banner of shame for a year in my signature... That will teach me to get overambitious next time, well maybe not ;) ;) ;) ;)

So, here is the little progress i have so far.

Cadian shipment purging by Azrael

gallery_52083_5542_89147.jpg

Thought I'd throw in a couple of pics of what I have so far of the second tactical squad Scipio

Sergeant Scipio

gallery_52083_5542_27316.jpg

Missile launcher

gallery_52083_5542_20884.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_2212.jpg

But excuses aside, here is the promised beginning of the motorpool update. More will come soon. I will cover each vehicle separately and after all of them in formation.

so enjoy for now.

I decided early on that I want some character in each vehicle, each transport to reflect the feel of the squad it is attached to... My inspiration came mainly from the WWII aircraft, and the nose art tradition, airmen would choose a mascot for the plane they were attached to, and some were revered and even recognized in their own right. The Alberto Vargo's pin-up images found their way onto most aircraft of that time, and names liek "the Shoo Shoo Baby", " Lucky Lady", "Memthis Belle", "Glamor Gal" and many others still have a a ring to even our generation. So this is a form of tribute i suppose to the heroes of that war, the aircraft, and an era of vintage glamor and classic American pin-up. I concentrated on giving the vehicles a female sounding name, and the logic behind it is, in the navy, ships are referred to as "SHE", giving a nice contrast between the sheer bulk and leathal firepower of the vehicle, and an almost feminine touch. Vintage classics.

So, without more blabbering from me (as I very well know, we browse thease threads for the pics in most part) :( ;) :D

THE LUCKY LADY, designation DGVII-81

Interior

gallery_52083_5542_33920.jpg

Lucky Lady

index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=64280

gallery_52083_5542_19286.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_56747.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_57399.jpg

The rear mascot is not yet done, so do not be too harsh on your judgment.

Gunner

gallery_52083_5542_49221.jpg

Coming up next will be the second Rhino, Predator, two speedres and the Dreadnought.

I will take the liberty right now to beg you good folk for some help though. The Idea for the bases is set on a desert and Tiberium theme, but I am in dire need of the raw material. So ANY ONE WHO HAS the clear green sprues from the templates or Necron Gauss weapons, please, protect the environment, and send them to me, shoot me a PM for the mailing address.

Till next time gang.

Haha holy damn man! Those pin-up girls are awesome! I would never think something like that could work with Spehss Marines but it definitely goes with the rest of your army. Great job!

The pauldron art is fantastic aswell :D

I'm in the same boat with you on the painting challenge, I'll be wearing the signature of shame as well..... However, your vehicle looks superb. The weathering looks fantastic and the pin-up looks really good so far. Also the shoulder pad art looks awesome as well.

Mr.Malevolent

My word... Dat Freehand :down:

That is a mighty impressive army ya got yourself there. Freehand is excellent, colours are really nicely done. Not sure about the pouch spam... and Borhter Smiley was amusing :o Oh and...

and some shipment from what it seems the Cadian gate, ooooh, i wonder what they sent??? :tu:

gallery_52083_5542_25221.jpg

Cadian Officer: "Sir! It's the Shipment of 100 Baneblades parts! They have arrived!"

Cadian General: "Well then what are you waiting for?! Get them to the Mechanicus and get those Baneblades constructed!"

Creed: "Hehehe"

Thanks guys for all the comments, really means a lot to me.

Goose, a special thanks to you for all your support, I love the new Sisters of Silence thread you started. I really recommend you guys check it out. the link is in Goose's signature.

NemFx, I'd love to see what you come up with some realistic gear, and if you want to try out a SoG, I say go for it! ... post it here if you want.

Mr.Malevolent, I am in the process of coming up with the rest of the Pin up art for the other vehicles as well. keep an eye out fore more updates.

Hubernator, I just hope i have the will and time to finish all the marines with the same level of quality, and give them all the freehand shoulder pads they deserve. I think that the pouch spam gives the army a real strong theme. Lol on the Cadia joke!

Dave the Twisted and Dreadnaught_Alpha, welcome to this thread and thank you for all your kind words. More top come soon.

Can any of you say what I should do with the sculpted Medusa emblem on the Rhino chassis??? I can not decide on weather to keep her blended with the green door, or do something different, ideas any one?

what do you think about the vehicle "nicknames"

Rhino I

Rhino II

Razorback/Rhino

Whirlwind

Predator

Land Raider Crusader/ Redeemer

Land Speeder I

Land Speeder II

Here are the "nicks" I am definitely going with:

Rhino I- Lucky Lady

Razorback- Shoo Shoo Baby

Land Speeder I- Glamour Gal

"Nicks" that i have in mind, please note, that the nicknames have to go together with a pin-up girl art in some way, so has to be able to translate from motto to visual.

Come and Get It

Anytime!

Bombshell

Lucky Seven

Thunderheart

Avenging Angel

Terran Pride

Lucky Strike

Strawberry Bitch

Classy Chassy

Black Betty

as examples...

http://www.historylink101.com/ww2_color/WorldWarIIPlaneArt/images/b-24-liberator-nose-art.jpg

http://swittersb.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/hard-to-get.jpg

http://illustrations.greghigh.com/bombshell_Illustration.jpg

Not sure about the "Shoo shoo baby" but you could always go with classics:

Marilyn, 'the blonde bombshell' vindicator perhaps? maybe a storm raven with bombs?

Elvira, 'mistress of the dark'

Morticia, 'deadly nightshade' or perhaps 'Tish! That's French!' -_-

Anywho, should be able to get this marine uploaded by tonight. Was hesitant to paint him before you replied :)

would be a shame to take all that effort to sculpt a medusa head and then leave it camouflaged on that green door, though I don't think it needs much, just a couple of highlights to bring it up to the same level as the freehand symbol on the gunners shoulderpad should be enough

I love these and like you I think even space marines need nose art.

Heres what I have on my Thunder-hawk that I built some time ago, though I need to repaint the whole thing and her.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ilivefordeath/GETSOME-2.jpg

But I named her after my girlfriend.

As for names, any quote from aliens works.

"Stay Frosty"

"Get Some"

"The Bitch is back"

They were gonna be the names for my land speeder storm squadron, and the inevitable purchase of a storm raven when I have the cash.

Also plan on putting some nose art on the tank of my motorbike as soon as I have some time.

Erm a few cool names I have seen around in my time of looking through nose art:

"blonde bombshell"

"War bird"

"Miss Behavin"

"Ridin High"

"Plane Jane"

Archived