Nathaniel's Sons Of Gorgon Post Heresy Death Guard

Brother Melice

Bwahahhaha!!!!!!

jester_prince, I love the sister of battle riding a rocket!!!! That is the coolest thing I have seen!!!

About the names. there was a name that I truly loved in Alien Resurrection, Betty, but no to plagiarize too much I think Black Betty will work out great.

I'd love to see how you pulled off the nose art on the speeders, I couldn't as there is too little surface to work with on their fronts. If you have any pictures, post them here.

But my main thing was about the names... I NEED HELP NAMING THE VEHICLES...

there is a list of names, just allocate to the vehicles as you guys see appropriate. If you think of some name that you deem better suited for a particular vehicle, I'm open to suggestion.

Hey just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the support from you guys, I'm just glad that this thread is interesting, and judging by Goose's reaction, cheers for that mate! i do manage to keep things interesting)))

PorridgeMeister, I'd actually be glad to see what you pull of... so give it a try.

empty choke, thanks dude, really means a lot...

Just finished 5 terminator bases with the Tiberium crystals, will post them in the next few days.

GooseDaMoose, You'r stuff is just astonishing, each new post you seem to get better and better... I'm actually really jealous of how much stuff you get done so fast....Keep it up.

It will probably be a while until I manage to get my hands on a command box, so the banner is a long term idea)))))

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I know it's been a while, but real life ad pressure prevent us all to get done what's important in life, but, non the less I dd manage to get some stuff done. Now it is just a matter of finding a camera and uploading some pics.

So this is coming up....

Assault Terminators on desert bases, plus a twist to it B)

Predator Distructor

AoBR Sturnguard Wip

Assault Squad wip

and more stuff))))))))))

A while back, when just beginning this army, I read "The Flight of The Eisenstein", and the character of Nathaniel Garro, just captured my imagination, the tie-in to the Grey Knights, and the Libertas.

Right then I decided, that was it, that was the hook I was looking for as as theme to my army. Over the years parts of my army were, Space woolves, parts were Ultramarines. then there was this weird desert paint scheme... but whem my evil twin and older sibling and I sat down and agreed to build two armies, finish off my marine force, and a Tau force for him, it was time to get serious and come up with a theme, and STICK to it... "The Flight of the Eisenstein" provided just that.

As I came up with personal shoulder guard heraldry for each marine, a way to incorporate different ideas I saw on the internet over the years into one theme, some thing at the back of my mind told me that "how could I have an army based on a hero, without having a model to represent him on the table???". Just then, I knew it was time to begin concept work for Garro.

Not a lot of art has been done on Nathaniel, and ones that I found were not to my liking and standard, but thankfully I could do something about that myself, and so I did.

Armed with all references i could find such as this one...

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/f/fe/Garro.jpg

It provided a lot of information that I needed to incorporate correctly.

this was my first try at Garro, 7th Great Company Battle Captain, Hero of Isstvan III, the Messenger of Horus' betrayal.

gallery_52083_5542_293400.png

The main resource was Lexicanum's entry for Nathaniel Garro

I think that this piece captures Garro's stoic character, his proud sense of personal honor, in the way that he carries himself, and his trusty power sword, Libertas ( Freedom). While many attempts have been made at Garro, and Libertas, all seemed too, cartoony, huge sword hilts, crafted with ridiculous eagle motifs. In my opinion, Libertas was a simple sword, that retained it's value in Garros' heart more of what it represented to him, not how ornate it was.

So now all I need is to figure out how to convert the model, and find the parts and money for it :)

Until next time Brothers.

Hail thee Brothers,

Legio, Mr. Malevolent, Goose, thanks guys. I will make Garro at some point, but right now it's kind of a long shot. I have a very clear idea as you can see here of what I want him to look like, and the feel of the model, but right now it's a technical problem of figuring out what parts to use...

I am tinkering with the idea of making him in true scale, or Doghouse's gothic marine technique, to make him larger than life compared to his cohorts, make him really stand out from the rest of the army. If any of you guys have any ideas how to tackle this project, I'd be really grateful.

Any ways, I have here another vision of Garro. It's a tempera painting I did after I nailed the rough idea with the above sketch. Hope you guys like it....

Emperor protects....

gallery_52083_5542_97260.jpg

@Muskie, had a great laugh at that link, still don't know how to take "the Liefeld School of pouches" though.... but this just cracked me....A fun Liefeld drinking game: take a shot for every pouch he draws on a character. Oh great, now you have alcohol poisoning.

Great link mate!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!

I've been working on a list or this army as well, need some feed back on it. As the Death Guard;s battle doctrine was infantry heavy, I think that staying true to that makes sense.

Also, this is not just a painting and converting project, this is battle force, intended to see a lot of games.

Leaning toward a 1850 points, as there is no popular standard in my gaming area, I thought that building a tournament legal force is a good idea as any. Feedback is greatly welcomed.

The Godhammer

HQ Captain Aximand Sextus

combi-melta+PS

Command Squad Barrabadon

Standard

Champion

Apothacary0

Veteran + meltagun

Veteran

HQ Librarian in Terminator armor + SS

Elite Assault Terminators Th+SS

Elite Dreadnaught Multi-melta + DCCW

Troop Tactical Squad Azriel

Flamer + Multi-melta

Rhino "Lucky Lady"

Troop Tactical Squad Scipio

Flamer + Missile Launcher

Rhino "Strawberry Bitch"

Troop Tactical squad Marius

Falmer +Missile Launcher

FA Land Speeder Squadron

Speeder "Glamour Gal" Heavy Bolter

Speeder "Flame Of Fury" Multi Melta

FA Assault Squad Karniel

2 Flamers + PW

HS Predator Destructor "Loaded Lady"

HB Sponsons

HS Whirlwind " Thunderheart"

Totals out to a terny legal 1850

All vehicles are maned in a form of tribute to WWII aircraft and armor. Each will have a distinct Pin Up freehand where ever appropriate. But all shoulder pad heraldry for the mariens and pin Up will be covered in a later post.

I came up with a distinct and different organization system for vehicles within my legion. As the Death Guard were one of the most numerous legions, further more it was comprised of only seven Great Companies, hence the codex designations for their vehicles would not work ( I am assuming that Roboute Guilliman based the Insignia Astartes on most common organization of companies within the Astarties Legions) The massive armories of the XIVth legion had to devise a way to designate what armor is assigned to which company. Well< now we know how they did it.

All vehicles are numbered, by order in the armory, The command Land Raider would be the first vehicle.

The hierarchy of vehicles were:

1-12 Predators

26-33 vindicators

34-42 whirlwinds

43-55 Land Raiders

56-99 Tactical Rhinos

100-127 Devastator Rhinos

128-153 Dreadnoughts

154-204 Land Speeders

205-304 Bikes

305-355 (As the Razorback is a rookie of Space Marine Armor, It was added to the vehicle designation system later on)

The designation itself is in linear form: Acronym of the legion name, then company number (in Roman) - vehicle number

example: DGVII-81

which translates to: Death Guard VIIth Company Vehicle-81, which is a Tactical Rhino.

This will sound unbelievably picky but mortarion and all the death guard for that matter, abhored the psychic mutant and would not use them even when the emperor sanctioned there use.

Well.... what to say about the artwork other than amazing! I think last two drawings of Garro are stunning, you certainly have talent!

As for the banner, that too is fantastic, but i would suggest that the floating sword on the right of the banner be removed. You already have two swords being held by the figures and the third sword is cluttering!

Blackwyvern and Dinks, thanks for the comments...as much as I'd love to make this an fluff accurate Pre Heresy Death Guard army, my budget won't allow for it right now, so I'm not going to worry about restricting myself of some FOC options for game play at this point, maybe later on, when I will at least be able to beat 13 yer olds at my store, I'll start a fluff correct army))))

As for the banner, I'm not sure what to supplement the sword on the right with, so Dinks if you have any suggestions, I'm open to them, aas the banner won't be starting any time soon...

but Brothers, finally managed to get my camera straight, and managed to take a few shots of whats going on...

Now, the promised motorpool update...

the only thing close to completion is the Rhino-Lucky Lady, and it still needs it's freehand a touch-up....

gallery_52083_5542_14419.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_142680.jpg

Note the numeral system I was talking about earlier on the fronts of the tanks.

gallery_52083_5542_21184.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_12612.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_6183.jpg

The tank crews were fun, my favorite is the russian style tank crewman...

gallery_52083_5542_105120.jpg

The Land Speeders are taking forever to finish... and because I had to make my own recipe fir the grayish tone, they ended up looking different.

gallery_52083_5542_58945.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_257102.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_144957.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_105620.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_23622.jpg

Both speeder gunners are magnetized, so when it needs be, I can swap a Multi-Melta or a Heavy Bolter... Heavy Flamer and Assault Cannon are magnetized as well. I initially wanted to have the crew in green armor, but then decided against it after.... So they will need a refinish.

The Whirlwind Missile Launcher I'm really happy about.... the tank itself is on a wait so far... I got it from a friend, who cared little on how he assembled models, so there is a lot to clean on it....

gallery_52083_5542_31249.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_60199.jpg

The glorious Land Raider Crusader/ Redeemer pattern, also magnetized to accommodate both patterns from a single kit.

It was magnetized using this thread from Da Rolling Waaagh

gallery_52083_5542_204277.jpg

When I thought of building around 50 bases, doing them in the same manner, would surely claim my sanity. So i thought that adding a theme to each squad's bases seemed like a sensible option. As the Assault Terminator's bases provide the largest surface to work with, it seemed a natural pick for doing Tiberium crystals from The Command And Conquer franchise on them.... Now I know I have been bragging for a while of doing it, so here is the evidence that it was pulled off. Although I think adding some grain around the crystals is a must...

gallery_52083_5542_71408.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_19456.jpg

At the beginning of this thread, I was planing to use the Assault on Black Reach tactical squad for a conversion project for Sturnguard. Just slapping bolter scopes on them would not do the trick in my mind. As always incorporating the pouch theme of the army was used here to tie them in with the rest of the force, and some extra details I thought appropriate.

There are only 9 of them in the squad so far. I just can't come up with what to do with the sergeant yet, but sureli I'll manage it some time soon. I also while working with them managed to invent a unique recipe for the base green, that will help to keep them finally uniform.

gallery_52083_5542_90856.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_75078.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_44960.jpg

gallery_52083_5542_76908.jpg

I also thought it would be great to take a army shot as it is at the moment. The shot lacks some units, that's because they are in parts right now...

gallery_52083_5542_88365.jpg

Well that is going to be it for now...Hope you guys will enjoy this rather large update Brothers, and don't be humble to give any C&C you might have... Any advice is appreciated.

Emperor Protects.

You're making good progress.

As for the pouches, when I saw them all I immediately thought of Rob Liefeld. He seems to be a bit of a villain in comic circles and he definitely doesn't go for realism in his art. He loves big muscles, guns, and lots of lots of pouches, even though no one ever takes anything out of them... It's not like Batman's utility belt or the satchel Spiderman keeps his camera in back in the day, or even the Green Goblin's satchel.

I think the plastic pouches that GW makes have gotten smaller, some of the older ones are overly large, I don't use them much myself but I made one champion with a utilibelt as he had four types of grenades. He had pouches to spare too.

http://www.muschamp.ca/OffSite/WIPModels/CSM/utilityBelt.jpg

Melice I think I need to borrow your art talent Highlander style..

Seriously, if you haven't already gotten art offers by GW then send them those two pictures and I'm sure you'll get hired.

As for your character.. I'd suggest using one of the plastic chaos knights on foot, or maybe one of the chaos champions even. They tend to have a good base to start from.

I should have a better picture of Garvul for you tomorrow.

Any chance of us discussing composition sometime? I was trying to make a character also but your way better at it than me :P

Archived