The Harrower's WIP Thread

TheHarrower

Man, long time since I posted in here. Time for a little thread necro and nothing better than starting with Death Company! I've started working on my Death Company Stormraven again. Here's where I'm at:

http://icirclegames.com/external/StormravenDeathCompany.jpg

The plan is to put plastic card red X's on the wings where the Aquillas used to be. On the front of the cockpit where the Aquilla was there I'm thinking about maybe either a skull and crossbones or another plastic card X with a skull on top. Any other ideas on what I could stick in those spots?

I'm going to tint the canopies green and probably work on that next (most likely a do a tutorial too). Lastly, I want to do some sort of Blood Angel's symbol on the wing where the red panel is. I wanted something more unique than our typical symbol though. I based these off of some of the Blood Angels artwork in the Codex and worked them up in Illustrator, but I'm still not crazy about them.

http://icirclegames.com/external/BloodAngelsSymbols.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts for a symbol here? Going to freehand it on.

Edited by TheHarrower

That's a really striking red you have on some of the previous pics, very vibrant :thumbsup:.

As for the symbols, I really like them on the source artwork but for some reason couldn't bring myself to replicate it on my actual models. Maybe I'm just a purist at heart. I think if you went with the stylised versions above the design would need to be supported by additional artistic bling, but that of course means more work and effort to get right. They don't quite feel right on their own, and especially enlarged.

That's a really striking red you have on some of the previous pics, very vibrant :thumbsup:.

As for the symbols, I really like them on the source artwork but for some reason couldn't bring myself to replicate it on my actual models. Maybe I'm just a purist at heart. I think if you went with the stylised versions above the design would need to be supported by additional artistic bling, but that of course means more work and effort to get right. They don't quite feel right on their own, and especially enlarged.

Thanks man. Took me years to figure out how to do a red I liked.

On the symbols I think you hit the nail on the head. Something just didn't look right to me with them. I'm not into blinging out the Death Company so that's not an option. Maybe I'll just be boring and just go with one of the plastic icons from the Baal Predator kit...

On the symbols I think you hit the nail on the head. Something just didn't look right to me with them. I'm not into blinging out the Death Company so that's not an option. Maybe I'll just be boring and just go with one of the plastic icons from the Baal Predator kit...

Those icons still look great though. The issue is often that they're quite small to occupy a large amount of wing space (too much negative space on the part). You can off-set that though by breaking up the red with "go faster stripes" or something similar. It only needs to be one colour and shape (chevron, double lines or whatever) that compliments the red and still lets the icon pop out. It would be enough to make it work better.

Thinking along the same lines for when I get round to doing a Raven (or Raptor if I'm lucky).

• 2 months later...

I got tired of my Lemartes taking a spill every time I walked by my miniature case so I rebased him on a 32mm base. In doing so I wrote a quick tutorial on how to do it over on my blog here. Turns out rebasing miniatures isn't really a big deal. If you can find the bases that is... Here's a couple pics.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XhgJF5krehI/VOSzrZIDOrI/AAAAAAAABd8/WKPX0J4DHGw/s1600/Step4.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WJlmtjQgSfE/VOSzswQGOuI/AAAAAAAABec/tSw-OAWQ4zM/s1600/Step6.jpg

There are more pics and step by step instructions on my blog. Out of the brown for my bases so I'll post an updated pic in a future post.

• 2 years later...

Like many people, 8th Edition brought me back into the fold. I decided to redo the majority of my army for 8th Edition. Here's a new Tactical Squad I put together and painted. The Librarian was an older model that I re-based on a 32mm and touched up. I'll have my vows coming soon as well. Crazy I haven't posted in this thread for 2+ years. Comments/critiques encouraged. Thanks for looking!

http://icirclegames.com/external/newtacticalsquad.jpg

• 2 months later...

Alright. Tournament over. I went 1-1-1. Here's a pic of my army:

MyArmy.jpg

I ran a single Battalion. Army was:

Lemartes

Librarian w/ Jump Pack

Captain

11 DC w/ 2 Hammers, 9 Chainswords/Bolters

5 Assault Terminations w/ 3 Hammers, 2 Claws

5 Tactical Marines w/ Power Sword

5 Tactical Marines

5 Scouts w/ Snipers

2x Razorbacks w/ AssCans and Stormbolter

Predator w/ Pred Autocannon and Las Sponsons

8 Devastators w/ 4 Las and Cherub

Storm Raven w/ AssCans, Melta, Hurricane Bolters

I ran a decent list. Not a great one tho. Tied with Eldar game 1. That should have been a win, but we messed up the scoring. Neither of us played ITC missions before which were a bit cumbersome to say the least. I said let's just call it a tie. My opponent seized. Dropped the Raven down to nothing after Turn 1. The seize really hurt. Still would have won though. Oh well. I was playing just for fun as a last hooray for an Index army.

Second game I played Matt from BoLS. Great guy. Nasty list. This was the end of his movement phase Turn 1. :censored:

game2turn1.jpg

Took charges from 2 units of Berzerkers and Mortarion. Amazingly, only lost by 1. 14-13. His dice ran cold almost the entire game. Never played Alpha Legion before or Noise Marines. Ouch. :down:  If I play in a tournament again, I'll definitely have at least 3 units of Scouts for bubble wrap. I deployed really dumb. Should have had the Tac squads out front to eat the Berzerker charges.

Last game was against Imperial Guard. Catachans. Very tank heavy. I won that one 17-14. Had to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Blew up 3 tanks the final turn to bring it home. Another really close game.

I haven't played in a tournament since 5th Edition. Was really surprised I did as well as I did especially with an Index. Finished in 11th out of 22. Top 3 players were Aeldari with Aeldari taking 4 out of the top 5. Other dude played Astra Militarum and came in 4th. Had a great time. Hope to do it again next month. I cannot wait until I can unleash the Red Thirst. That would have made a gigantic difference in all my games today. Also, the cheaper units will be nice too. Overpaid on so many units it was criminal. Onto the Codex.