Honestly I'd have to agree. If you're shooting for a dwarvish theme, living underground is just one of those things you really need to have.

Why?

There is no single interpretation of Dwarves; yes certain traits or characteristics can be expected but I can point to at least one type of Dwarves that live out in the open.

Honestly I'd have to agree. If you're shooting for a dwarvish theme, living underground is just one of those things you really need to have.

Why?

There is no single interpretation of Dwarves; yes certain traits or characteristics can be expected but I can point to at least one type of Dwarves that live out in the open.

Oh I know there isn't - I probably should have said "If you're shooting for a Lord of the Rings/D&D dwarf theme". But with the LotR/D&D dwarves, living underground is a huge part of their lore and not paying homage to it would detract from it IMO.

But then again I know having blatant themes isn't particularly smiled upon here on the Liber :rolleyes:

Thing is CJJ, that's a rather esoteric interpretation when the three largest fictional dwarvish creations all largely resemble each other. Those being Warhammer Fantasy Dwarves, Lord of the Rings Dwarves and D&D/Forgotten Realms Dwarves.

Your typical average joe has had a passing education on at least one or a few of these types and if you ask him where dwarves live he'll likely say *underground*.

Even the seven dwarves from Snow White, while they live above ground the big sticking point is that they work underground and there is even a large musical piece devoted to this, the fact that they are underground when most of the bad stuff is going on sticks in your head.

Picking the one example that don't isn't really helping matters, not for Ace in any case. :blink:

Quick question Ace: Got any ideas for their change of tactics (i.e. going from quick and savage to slow and brutal)?

I can't really find much else to say/ask about as I really like these chaps. It's nice to see that my stone tablet idea has been used :rolleyes:

Ludovic

Picking the one example that don't isn't really helping matters, not for Ace in any case. :P

I now feel compelled to point out that "These are not Dwarves in space.." ;)

This mean that whilst conventional Dwarvish themes can be used to convey the feeling and touch of the short dudes, not everything has to be so...

Picking the one example that don't isn't really helping matters, not for Ace in any case. :cuss

I now feel compelled to point out that "These are not Dwarves in space.." :P

This mean that whilst conventional Dwarvish themes can be used to convey the feeling and touch of the short dudes, not everything has to be so...

Not dwarves in space, true, but they could do with something that makes them distinctively dwarf-flavoured. Underground caverns, chainmail and axes are what I have in mind. :P

Besides, 99% of people will pick up on the dwarvish inspiration from having the Stonebound live underground, meaning I don't have to lay it on as thickly elsewhere.

My biggest inspiration vis-a-vis dwarvishness is actually from Discworld, where more than fifty thousand dwarves live in the city of Ankh-Morpork, and not all of them have underground residences.

But that's not something I want to replicate, if I can avoid it. Most of my dwarvish stuff is more based loosely on their mountain-dwelling bretheren. Ankh-Morpork in space deserves it's own chapter. :P

Also, many thanks to Mordray, Heru, Blacklight and Octavulg - some very good ideas in there!

Now I've just got to try writing them out as homeworld descriptions and see which one works best. ;)

Now you've gotten me looking forward to Ankh-Morpork in space. Damn you Ace!

*shakes fist*

Huh? But I'm not planning on doing that. :(

That's just a free idea for anyone who's interested to purloin, steal, hijack or take inspiration from. :P

After a tumultuous series of ups and downs and tackling a number of issues, not least including working on my IG2011 story and contributing to the DIY Chapter Challenge of 2010, it's high time I got back to work on the Stonebound. ^_^

If the planet had an uneven orbit around it's sun, the period in which the planet passes closest to the sun could rain radiation upon the world forcing the people to hide underground during those periods.
Regarding the migration between above ground and under ground...

Perhaps the winters are cold enough to reduce the heat of the caves via convection. During the summer the boiling waters and general lack of cold air keeps the caves unbareably hot... of course this line of thinking also brings up the question of why don't they just make geo-thermal vents for their homes in the winter... bah.

Just assume it works and write it like its a fact. Let the nit pickers nit pick and be done with it.

If the planet had an uneven orbit around it's sun, the period in which the planet passes closest to the sun could rain radiation upon the world forcing the people to hide underground during those periods.

It also might come with some periods of intense cold, too.

I like these ideas quite a lot. Between the three of them, there'd be a wicked underground-world just waiting to be written.

The problem is, with radiation-rain in the summer, moving to the surface in the summer would be a confoundedly stupid thing to do. It'd also play havoc with farming and wildlife. ^_^

Not to mention the excessive, regular bouts of radiation would eventually trickle down the tunnels and similar, and possibly ruin any topside water supplies. ^_^

So today's question for the Liber: Would it be possible to have Kagara as a planet with a very hot core (Superheated rivers, geysers etc) that goes through exceptionally harsh winters (which cool the underground enough to make it a nearly ideal shelter) because of a dodgy oribt without the radiation-laden summers?

Yes. Fenris is a good example of a planet that orbits erratically but doesn't burn from radiation. Remember, the safe belt that can sustain life is rather small, and even little variations produce massive climate shifts. Take Earth. Slight tilts and rotations produce the seasons. Alter the orbit a bit and you could have an entire planet that was a ball of frigid ice and then a raging firestorm. As far as the super heated core, that could easily work. If the core burns hot enough, it would be consuming all the life on the planet, having the water as an insulating barrier would be awesome. The water would absorb the tremendous heat and dissipate it, boiling and churning below the surface, providing geo-aquatic heating/cooling.

I think it would be a bit more logical to have the planet be permanently cold however. The heat of the core, and the cold of the crust would meet, allowing the waters and caves to be habitable. However, if you had a core this hot, and experienced normal summers, the overall temperature would rise to almost unbearable level. It would give a reason for your planet dwellers to live in caves, and allow only the toughest and heartiest to survive the ludicrously cold temperatures. Astartes and any they wanted to recruit could perhaps partake in trials in the icy cold.

Another option is to have a wide orbit that takes the planet to the cold regions, and then have the summer be a time of trials, when the heat of the surface, combined with the heat of the core, make for a world that is almost deathly hot, and only the strongest survive being forced from the (relative) comfort and safety of their caves. If you want fighting reptiles, this could work too, as cold blooded creatures are much more active and predatory in the heat. Basically take a reverse option, and have the summer be the dangerous and trying time.

Just my thoughts for ya Ace :D

Just a question here Ace, and I'm sorry if you have answered it elsewhere, but why do you need them to live on the surface at all. Wouldn't it be far cooler to have then live beneath the ground all the time, thus giving a second reason for them to be the Stonebound (as their surrounded by stone). There are planets in the Imperium where this has been mentioned as their way of life before. And with high geo-thermal activity I imagine there could be all sorts of plants/animals that could live underground. Admittedly our eco-system needs sunlight for photo-synthesis and thus life but couldn't an alien ecosystem possibly be free of the need for light?

Just my thoughts for ya Ace :pinch:

And welcomed thoughts they are.

I could switch it up a little, I suppose, and have the summer be the more dangerous time.

Just a question here Ace, and I'm sorry if you have answered it elsewhere, but why do you need them to live on the surface at all. Wouldn't it be far cooler to have then live beneath the ground all the time, thus giving a second reason for them to be the Stonebound (as their surrounded by stone). There are planets in the Imperium where this has been mentioned as their way of life before. And with high geo-thermal activity I imagine there could be all sorts of plants/animals that could live underground. Admittedly our eco-system needs sunlight for photo-synthesis and thus life but couldn't an alien ecosystem possibly be free of the need for light?

True.

But I'm not sure what would draw a White Scars successor to recruit from non-nomadic cultures unless they really had to.

Hence, the migratory nature of living on both the surface and the underground.

It's probable I could work around it and just have a perma-underground civilisation, but I'd rather take the migratory route if I can.

EDIT:

Quick question Ace: Got any ideas for their change of tactics (i.e. going from quick and savage to slow and brutal)?

Can't believe I never answered this. ;)

I'm basically seeing it as a slowly adapted Kagaran inclination to move all your forces as a solid unit when possible, backed up by the occasional neccesary use of heavy armour for siege-breaking.

Hopefully that works in the IA proper as well as it does in my head.

EDIT:

Can't believe I never answered this. :(

I'm basically seeing it as a slowly adapted Kagaran inclination to move all your forces as a solid unit when possible, backed up by the occasional neccesary use of heavy armour for siege-breaking.

But what brings the Kagarans to that style? Is it just the way things have always been or is it adaptation to geography et al?

EDIT:

Can't believe I never answered this. :)

But what brings the Kagarans to that style? Is it just the way things have always been or is it adaptation to geography et al?

More the former than the latter, although there's probably a bit of both involved.

Safety in numbers, travelling caravans of people, that sort of thing.

Obviously there's some differences between the Kagarans and Stonebound, possibly the key one being a lack of Kagarans with tanks. :devil:

But the 'solid core and mobile cavalry flanks' idea will probably be the basis of Stonebound combat doctrine.

That and good old fashioned codex-style adaptability, because always fighting the same way is a recipie for disaster.

I’m not sure if you’re still looking for suggestions on the Kagara’s odd weather but to be honest at the moment it seems somewhat overcomplicated. Couldn’t you simplify by using similar reasoning as they do for Fenris?

In Fenris’ case, the elliptical orbit makes the winters the 'safe' period as the planet is further away, and the summers dangerous because they are affected by moving closer (too close) to the sun, which causes all the tectonic upheaval.

For Kagara, move the planet away slightly (or the sun smaller or whatever) so that it is the summer that is the ‘safe’ time when the planet is right distance from the sun. Then in the winter, the elliptical orbit takes it further away, cooling the planet, causing the storms, etc and forcing the natives to migrate in order to take shelter in the cave systems. You could even go so far as to say that the rock has good heat absorption and storage properties that make it an ideal shelter.

But I'm not sure what would draw a White Scars successor to recruit from non-nomadic cultures unless they really had to.

Thing with living underground is that it's not terribly stable. Their migratory nature could in fact be due to the tidal stresses that the worlds different orbit inflicts upon it, some areas of the planet are stable for some part of the year, or number of years, while others are more-so in others.

This is very much like SCL's idea and I do in fact prefer his, I just thought I'd add that if you do decide to have them more underground, being migratory doesn't really make that much of a problem.

I’m not sure if you’re still looking for suggestions on the Kagara’s odd weather but to be honest at the moment it seems somewhat overcomplicated. Couldn’t you simplify by using similar reasoning as they do for Fenris?

In Fenris’ case, the elliptical orbit makes the winters the 'safe' period as the planet is further away, and the summers dangerous because they are affected by moving closer (too close) to the sun, which causes all the tectonic upheaval.

For Kagara, move the planet away slightly (or the sun smaller or whatever) so that it is the summer that is the ‘safe’ time when the planet is right distance from the sun. Then in the winter, the elliptical orbit takes it further away, cooling the planet, causing the storms, etc and forcing the natives to migrate in order to take shelter in the cave systems. You could even go so far as to say that the rock has good heat absorption and storage properties that make it an ideal shelter.

That could work. In fact, that could work very well. B)

Good thinking, Lysimachus. :P

Thing with living underground is that it's not terribly stable. Their migratory nature could in fact be due to the tidal stresses that the worlds different orbit inflicts upon it, some areas of the planet are stable for some part of the year, or number of years, while others are more-so in others.

This is very much like SCL's idea and I do in fact prefer his, I just thought I'd add that if you do decide to have them more underground, being migratory doesn't really make that much of a problem.

I'm pretty sure I could write a book on Kagara by the time I get round to writing the homeworld, but I think keeping it as basic as possible for the IA is a really good idea.

If I need to add more detail about the planet itself, then I could add stuff like that. :)

I don't know if we're still talking about Dwarves here, but I think I found part of the problem.

Actually, that's more part of the solution since it saved me doing any real research on Dwarves outside reading Discworld.

I can also attest that while All Our Dwarves Are The Same, Everyone's Views On Those Same Dwarves Are Different.

That's going from the large number of 'dwarvish' suggestions I've recieved since January of last year, anyway.

And somehow I think that's a bit of a long title for a TVTropes page. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally got around to bullet-pointing the homeworld.

Basically, I'm stealing Lysimachus' idea. It's the least complicated suggestion, and I suspect I have enough complicated stuff in my IA outline already. :huh:

If anyone can think of anything vital that I've missed out, or spots a hideous/hilarious mistake in there, let me know. ;)

EDIT:

Nothing to do with the crusade this time.

Just realised I'd left a word out.

• 2 weeks later...
History

* 6th founding. Khan's geneseed.

* Sent to Segmentum Pacificus to counter-act recently increased ork activity.

* Fight lots of Orks, take on very few recruits, decide to tour the segmentum until they find a suitable homeworld. Interim leader, head of the training cadre from the Red Sabres ( the Stonebound's parent chapter) is very picky when it comes to a homeworld, and it takes a good few years to find one he likes.

* Settle on Kagara, world near the borders with Segmenta Tempestus and Solar. Take in some recruits, all is right with the world, and the interim leader takes the rest of his boys and goes home once the Stonebound are firmly established.

* The Stonebound press the fight against any and every enemy that rears it's head, and slowly starts to take on some of the more methodical approach to combat common amongst the people of Kagara.

* Slowly the Stonebound find themselves embracing the use of slower units in many situations, preferring to sacrifice some speed for a more crushing blow. Come to appreciate dreadnoughts, allowing the use of them for those brothers willing to be interred.

* The Red Sabres are destroyed by the traitor warband called the Rift Lords, but not before sending out a distress signal. The Stonebound have a battle barge nearby, and are the first reinforcements on the scene, followed closely by the Imperial Navy. With the traitor's ships being destroyed in orbit and their ground forces facing the brunt of the Stonebound's wrath, much of the once-vaunted warband is slain, leaving their leaders and a select core of followers to escape. (More Rift Lords than the Imperium initially realise escape the site of the battle, but that's for the Rift Lords IT and not important to this one.)

* In the aftermath, the Stonebound dedicate a company to the pursuit of their killers, wandering the Segmentum Pacificus and further afield in search of the Rift Lords.

* The personality of the chapter is muchly derived from their homeworld. They are slow to trust outsiders, and generally keep to themselves where possible. But those who earn the Stonebound's trust are guaranteed a loyal ally for life.

* I say go with UM geneseed, offers much more flexability

* no problem here

* Fighting Orks, few recruits, taking years to find homeworld ... I see a problem with heavy losses from this.

* no problems here

* What exactly is the combat approach common to the people of Kagara?

* Dreads are very rare, giving to people just cause they volunteer is a bit much. Its an honor that must be earned.

* One battlebarge worth of marines against a whole warband (sorry can't recall how big the warband was), would they stand a chance on the ground. I'm sure IN would be able to assist in space combat pretty well. Also, how exactly did the leaders escape?

* Already been said a company may not be large enough by others, but if the warband is thought destroyed is a company too large to dedicated to hunt down that is thought to be only a few leaders?

* Need to know more about the homeworld before this point.

Homeworld

* Recruits all come from the world of Kagara, in a corner of the Segmentum Pacificus.

* Elliptical orbit around local sun makes the planet's surface tolerable, even pleasant during the summer months.

* Same orbit makes the planet incredibly cold and difficult to live on during the winter.

* The rock of Kagara has excellent heat absorbtion and retention properties, making living in the underground during the bitter winters a viable, even desirable alternative to the surface.

* When winter comes, entire clans migrate from the surface in armoured convoys to the deep underground.

* Life continues as normal for the Kagarans underground - trading, warfare, difficult conflict against vicious underground beasties.

* Clans very tight-knit and protective of their kin and clansmen. Clans are instinctively isolationist, with the general exceptions of merchants and similar.

* Every male of fifteen and older must forge his own axe and mail as a rite of passage - said mail and axe used to guard the clan caravans during migrations.

* normal isn't it?

* Earthlike?

* Interesting

* may need to know more about why these rocks hold heat so well

* Why aren't the summer cities built closer to the winter havens?

* no real problem here

* "Fifteen and older" ... should read "Upon reaching Fifteen years of age, every male must", else you have people waiting till they turn 30 to do it, or leaves the appearance they could.

Beliefs

* Excerpt from the Legacy Saga goes here, because if it doesn't, I'll be killed. By Batman, no less.

* Stonebound's beliefs slowly take on traits from Kagaran society. For instance:

* Decorative chain-mail worn over the better armour is a must for Stonebound marines, as is a hand-forged axe.

* While axes are not the only weapon used by the Stonebound in a melee, every marine does own an axe, which they made themselves on the first day of their life as a full battle brother.

* Prayers are often blended with the act of forging, groups of marines led in prayer by their chaplains as they forge weapons and armour.

* Defeats or similar dishonours are carved onto Grudge-Stones, by the chapter's Sages (Librarians) and are carried by the dishonoured company until the Sages deem that grudge paid back in full. The breaking of a Grudge-Stone is a cause for celebration, and usually a feast to honour the dead and the brave.

* The chapter's insular nature will partly stem from a Kagaran distrust of people from other clans, only in this case it's a distrust of non-Stonebound.

* Scouts are integrated randomly into squads composed of recruits several clans to break down the insular nature of the Kagarans, and make them less 'X clan' and more 'Stonebound'.

* The Stonebound view the Emperor as the true father of the Space Marines, and his sons the Primarchs as great heroes and warriors. They are immensely proud of their lineage.

* not familiar with the saga so nothing I can say

* no problem

* okay

* you realize that non-power axes are going to be practically useless in battle in 40k don't you?

* need to know where the forging bit came from ... it just appeared

* very nice

* why do they distrust other clans so much?

* good

* good

Combat Doctrine

* Chapter's early days are much like White Scars, typically fast attacks and stuff.

* In an ideal world, something happens to make them grudgingly put some value on slower units. (Possibly used extensively as siege-breakers on rebellious worlds? I'd say against Orks, too, but I don't see them staying in fortifications if they can get out and fight instead.)

* Basically, the Stonebound wind up closer to codex battle doctrines.

* okay if you use WS geneseed

* not sure who would be a good villian for a long drawn out seige

* and that's a bad thing?

Organisation

*Codex layout. Although the dedicated 'go kill the Rift Lords' company is something of an exception.

* In the fashion of White Scars, companies are made of recruits from several clans.

* The Chapter maintains the somewhat isolationist nature of the individual clans, at least as relates to the wider Imperium. They don't have problems with any other Imperial branches, but aren't exactly friendly with them.

* Gradual adoption of slower units allows the chapter to use their dreadnoughts, the 'Ironbound'.

* First company veterans wear the cool red 'n' bone shoulderpads.

* First company veterans issued a ceremonial red shield, which they decorate over time with their personal heraldry. Each shield tells the story-via-artwork of one of the chapter's heroes. When the marine dies, his shield is hung on the fortress monastery walls.

* see concerns about company above

* if you use WS geneseed

* loners are okay, no real problems

* see concerns about Dreads above

* okay

* GK+ ?

Geneseed

* Khan lineage via the Red Sabres (their dead parent chapter)

* Their introverted, grumpy nature is attributed to a blend of geneseed and homeworld, as is their less agressive side by the few who know about it.

* I say use UM geneseed for more flexability

* WSs are less agressive?

Battlecry

* Insert snappy Battlecry here.

* "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken!" is probably going to be said snappy battlecry. Cheers CJJ. :rolleyes:

* "Where's my axe!!!"

Ah, I missed this yesterday.

Right then, let me have a go at answering your questions.

* I say go with UM geneseed, offers much more flexability

* no problem here

* Fighting Orks, few recruits, taking years to find homeworld ... I see a problem with heavy losses from this.

* no problems here

* What exactly is the combat approach common to the people of Kagara?

* Dreads are very rare, giving to people just cause they volunteer is a bit much. Its an honor that must be earned.

* One battlebarge worth of marines against a whole warband (sorry can't recall how big the warband was), would they stand a chance on the ground. I'm sure IN would be able to assist in space combat pretty well. Also, how exactly did the leaders escape?

* Already been said a company may not be large enough by others, but if the warband is thought destroyed is a company too large to dedicated to hunt down that is thought to be only a few leaders?

* Need to know more about the homeworld before this point.

* Geneseed is definitely going to be Khan's one. UM or IF would make more sense, I'm sure, but I've made up my mind on this issue.

* Heavy losses is going to be what spurs the chapter to actively look for a homeworld.

* Not 100% certain on the precise combat approach of Kagarans yet, but it's mostly slower-paced and methodical than typical White Scars warfare, emphasis placed on heavy-hitting attacks rather than fast ones.

* White Scars don't have Dreads at all, though - what I meant here was that the Stonebound decide having some dreads for notable heroes would be a darn good idea.

* For further details on the death of the Red Sabres, have a read of my short story 'Broken Sabre' in the short stories forum. ;)

* Think I might drop the 'revenge company' idea altogether. In fact, I thought I already had. :devil:

* Agreed. Will divide into Origins and Recent History, either side of the Homeworld section when I write it up.

* normal isn't it?

* Earthlike?

* Interesting

* may need to know more about why these rocks hold heat so well

* Why aren't the summer cities built closer to the winter havens?

* no real problem here

* "Fifteen and older" ... should read "Upon reaching Fifteen years of age, every male must", else you have people waiting till they turn 30 to do it, or leaves the appearance they could.

* Some of my other Chapters recruit from other planets too - not so with the Stonebound. ^_^

* I guess so. I pictured the summers being temperate enough for crops to grow and similar, if a little colder than on Earth.

* I'm no geologist, but I'll add that to my 'must research' list. I think I might need a small degree of hand-waving to get away with this though.

* They are built pretty close, in my mind, but a long way under the ground. I'll make that clearer in the writeup.

* Well, you knew what I meant. :lol: I'll change that in the writeup, too.

* not familiar with the saga so nothing I can say

* no problem

* okay

* you realize that non-power axes are going to be practically useless in battle in 40k don't you?

* need to know where the forging bit came from ... it just appeared

* very nice

* why do they distrust other clans so much?

* good

* good

* It was a badass epic-poem-type thing that Octavulg wrote, based off my much worse attempt.

* The axes are intended to replace combat knives rather than chainswords and stuff. I don't want a chapter of marines who all have better gear, you see.

* Another blend of Space Marine and Kagaran lore, where forging is a bit more ritualised than on Earth, and the Stonebound take it even further.

* I liked the grudge-stone idea myself. I think I stole that one from Ludovic, but I'm not sure. :P

* Centuries of inter-clan fighting between most of the more notable clans, not to mention all the devious politics that would accompany the long wars.

* okay if you use WS geneseed

* not sure who would be a good villian for a long drawn out seige

* and that's a bad thing?

* Set on WS geneseed, so that's okay.

* Might have it so it's not any one enemy, just a gradual change over a long time.

* Not in my book. I actually intend to show that following the codex more gets better results.

* see concerns about company above

* if you use WS geneseed

* loners are okay, no real problems

* see concerns about Dreads above

* okay

* GK+ ?

* Yeah, I'm gonna axe the 'revenge company' thing. It's a bit like a crappy ripoff of the DA anyway.

* That's the plan, haha.

* I intend it to be somewhat of a counter to my Infinity Knights, who deliberately play mediator with any factions they interact with. The Stonebound are a lot more stubborn.

* I hope to cover this a bit better in the actual write-up, but it's basically a break with Scars' tradition.

* Any similarity to the GK is unintentional - do they do the same thing?

* I say use UM geneseed for more flexability

* WSs are less agressive?

* I'm set on Khan lineage. It might change in the future, but only if my attempts to write this chapter up become a dismal failure. And even then, only if changing the geneseed magically solves my problems. :lol:

* That is an example of Ace Debonair sloppy wording written at 2am. I thought I'd changed that, too. What it meas to say is the Stonebound are slow to make friends, but are intensely loyal to the few allies they do have, and aren't quite as narky and isolationist towards them.

* "Where's my axe!!!"

* Up there with 'Nobody tosses a Stonebound'! and 'Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!' :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I finally get what Octavulg was talking about when he was asking me what the unifying theme, the core of this Chapter was.

It only took me what, just over a year? :lol:

The Stonebound don't really have anything tying the various parts of the IA together, which makes it confusing and dull to write, and probably worse to read.

I don't know that latter part for certain, but if I don't like what I've written, I'm not about to post it up and subject everyone else to it. I embarass myself frequently enough without doing it on purpose, anyway.

All I need to do now is come up with some sensible, workable driving force that can unite all of the sections. :lol:

And ideally, I need to do so before the year's out. ^_^

So... not really an update, more of a 'I think I know where I've gone wrong!'

...But hopefully with updates to follow. :P

EDIT:

And if anyone has any ideas, let me hear 'em. There's probably a nice, obvious solution I've missed.

Archived