Anyone is able to view and read the Bolter and Chainsword forums (except folks who are banned). However, registering as a forum member opens up a host of other options and resource utilities for you.
There are a few rules in regards to user accounts that must be followed though:ACCOUNTS
Members are allowed to have only a single account here at the Bolter & Chainsword. If you create multiple accounts and get caught, the most recent account(s) will be deleted. Accounts may not have objectionable names, and account names are subject to change if they throw the formatting of the board off. Also, usernames that impersonate influential members of the hobby (GW employees, well-known artists, or even the staff here at the Bolter & Chainsword) are not allowed and will be deleted. Further disciplinary action may be taken if the staff think it is appropriate.NAME CHANGES
When you sign up for an account at the B&C you are asked to create a USERname and a DISPLAYname. These do not have to be the same. However, think carefully on what you want your DISPLAYname (the name people will see attached to your posts) to be. We rarely change DISPLAYnames without good reason.
Typical reasons for changing a DISPLAYname are:
- Name is too long and throwing off thread formating. This is usually fixed by simply adding spaces or removing underscores.
- Name contains offensive material.
- Name is too close to another users name. If confusion is caused by your name being close to an existing members name you may be asked to change it.
- Misspelling. Sometimes in the rush to register an account a user might hit the wrong key and wind up doing something like spelling Rogue as Rouge. In cases like this we can often fix that with a quick reset of the DISPLAYname. This may not be possible if there is already a DISPLAYname like it on the forums. In that case you will be asked to choose a new DISPLAYname.
Reasons that a name change is usually turned down include but are not limited to:
- I'm bored with this name.
- I don't play this army anymore and want to change.
- I named myself after a character who is now dead.
These provide members with a means of personalizing their posts, as well as giving other members an immediate visual identifier. The Bolter & Chainsword has a number of "stock" avatars available through the Control Panel. Avatars can also be linked from members' Galleries (please link only from your own Gallery, not other members' Galleries) and web sites. There are also blank templates available so that members can personalize avatars via our DOWNLOADS
area. You can have pretty much any image you wish as your Avatar. Avatars which violate board rules by being inappropriate will be removed and the user notified. Repeated notifcations may result in a warning being issued. Avatars should be no bigger than 96x64 pixels in size.SIGNATURES:
Signatures are an interesting way to add a little personality to your replies, as well as a means of providing links. Signatures will be limited, however, in order to keep them from becoming a distraction.
PRIVATE MESSAGING and E-MAIL:
- You may have up to 10 lines of normal-sized text. Larger text size or the addition of images will reduce the number of lines allowed.
- You may have multiple images.
- The image(s) must fit in a single space no wider than 800 pixels and no taller than 100 pixels high.
- Signatures with image(s) that exceeds the maximum dimensions allowed will be subject to editing.
- You may advertise your own web site or projects in your signatures, but links to sites with objectionable content will be edited and subject to banning (porn, etc.).
You can send Private Messages (PMs) and e-mails to other members of the Bolter & Chainsword. While the board has little control over the content of these messages, you are still expected to abide by the forum rules with regard to Content and how you treat your fellow members. Using the PM feature in ways that violate board rules (including flaming, advertising, etc.) is subject to appropriate punishment.
Membership has it's advantages as well though.
Becoming a member at the B&C allows you to do the obvious basics of starting threads, replying in posts, using the search functions and making use of the Personal Message system. Other benefits also come from registering at the B&C:
- The ability to subscribe to forums and threads and the ability to be notified via email of replies.
- Access to the Downloads
- The ability to start your own Blog.
- Create your own Gallery.
- Submit sites to and acces the Links.
- Submit and read articles via the Librarium.
area is where you can get useful tools to help in the creation of your own Power armored armies, spiced up your army list presentations or get new wallpapers for your computer. The content of the Downloads area is 100% user generated. If you would like to have something in the downloads area for all to use please contact an Administrator or Moderator.Blogs
are an area where you can chronicle your Power Armored related projects. This goes hand in hand with the Gallery and is not meant as a replacement to the PCA forum. BLOGs are there for all aspects of the Power Armored gaming experience -- Tournaments, Campaigns, Army list development, Painting, Modelling, etc. Any member of the board has access to a BLOG. Just go to your user control panel and start one.
is available in order to facilitate the documentation of your power-armored army, the B&C offers the ability to host pictures of your power armor figures in a personal gallery.
You may only have one gallery. The size of your gallery is limited so keep that in mid when you are resizing your pictures.
is where you the user can submit various items such as Index Astartes type articles for DIY Chapters, PC&A related tutorials, Stories, Alternative rules and Dissertations on board related subjects. You can find more about the Librarium here
Please note that the Downloads, Gallery and Librarium are all subject to board rules and are considered to be kept on topic at all times. Subject matter in those area that is not power armor related will be removed.
area is where you can submit any 40k related website (even non power armored related sites). Any registered user can submit a site, however it is put into an approval queue that the mods go through daily before releaseing the site to the public area.
Membership at the Bolter and Chainsword is entirely free. However if you would like to donate in a monetary fashion you have two ways to do so.
First you can make a one time lifetime donation via the Donations
area at the top of the main forum page. The full amount you donate throught the various subscription offers goes towards improvements and upkeep of the website.
Alternatively you can also purchase items via the Bolter and Chainsword Store
. This puts $2-4 towards the board depending on the item you purchase.
Your donations help the B&C to bring you more of the content and management systems that you want. All with the goal of helping you to improve your Power Armored armies in all ways.
Edited by Brother Tyler, 08 April 2011 - 10:39 AM.
Signature image rules changed